Rotel Owner's Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
1  2 3  4  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Rotel Owner's Thread
petergaryr's Avatar petergaryr 02:44 PM 01-14-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lreid65 View Post

I've had my Rotel RMB1095 AMP for about 3 weeks now and am very impressed with it's dynamic capabilities matched with my new B&W speakers (804S, HTM4S, SCMS). My previous system (Sunfire Cinema Grand and M&K S90 speakers) could simply not provide "reference level SPL" while watching my favorite demo DVDs: Master and Commander or Phantom of the Opera.

I can imagine. I auditioned the 804s yesterday when I picked up the Rotel CD player. Very impressive.

jkhome's Avatar jkhome 04:52 PM 01-14-2007
Here's another fairly happy Rotel customer. I use a RSX 1055 receiver as a pre/pro, to drive Aragon 8008BB and 8002 amps to Paradigm Studio 60v3s, and CC570 center speaker. Use the amp section of the Rotel to drive ADP470 surrounds.

The Aragons are said not to match well with speakers with metal tweeters, such as the Paradigms. I can confirm this, using another preamp, or "direct", the sound was indeed overly harsh. With the Rotel in the chain, the sound of the front speakers smoothed out nicely.

There are some features missing from the 1055, that IMHO should have been there for the price asked. Things such as addressable channels (for bi-amping), separate bass management settings for each speaker, and a more precise time delay control, to name a few. Maybe the newer models do better? Thanks to the info on Club Rotel, I was able to DIY the lastest firmware upgrade for the 1055. I have read that some Rotel units have suffered from quality control issues, mine seems to have a nasty "DC offset" problem on some of the preouts, but I have worked around it.

Never the less, I like the sound quality and ergonomics of the Rotel, so it will be a keeper for a while.
kentonhq's Avatar kentonhq 01:44 PM 01-24-2007
Any input on these models?

ROTEL RSP-980 THX SURROUND SOUND PROCESSOR
ROTEL RDA-975 DIGITAL SURROUND ADAPTER
ROTEL RDA-985 DTS SURROUND DECODER
kentonhq's Avatar kentonhq 02:01 PM 01-24-2007
Anybody home??????
J.H.'s Avatar J.H. 02:43 PM 01-24-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentonhq View Post

Any input on these models?

ROTEL RSP-980 THX SURROUND SOUND PROCESSOR
ROTEL RDA-975 DIGITAL SURROUND ADAPTER

well I never heard them before but all I have read they are very nice. Go to htguide.com they have a very good Rotel section.
dakar80124's Avatar dakar80124 10:57 AM 01-25-2007
I'm looking at adding the Rotel RMB-1095 to my Yamaha Receiver. Also have a NAD preamp I might connect to it via XLR. I've only heard one bad thing about the 1095 and that was a ground loop buzz due to some coax connections that can be fixed. I may try to upgrade in future to their processor but not for awhile. Anyone compared Rotel amps to B&K?
Jason321's Avatar Jason321 08:17 PM 01-27-2007
OK, this question is probably beneath everyone here but I am just a minor enthusiast. I have a Rotel RSX-1056 receiver and two front B&W speakers (not a big movie watcher).

No matter what I am doing (watching tv, watching a DVD, playing Xbox, listening to a CD, listening to an LP) I would like to keep the receiver in 2ch mode. Unfortunately it seems to be defaulting to Dolby 5.1 anytime I change inputs. When that happens, I have to get up and press the 2ch button, which is the bottom left-hand corner of the right-side set of buttons. Does anyone know how I could either:

1) make that change from the remote; or
2) better yet, keep it locked in 2ch mode? (I swear it used to be locked in)
Jonomega's Avatar Jonomega 09:03 PM 01-27-2007
Its about time one of these for Rotel started up

I have the Rotel RC-1070, RB-1070, and RCD-1072. They are great for the price and I have never had any complaints about it.

Although, upgraditis is starting to bite again, and I am going to look at the NAD Master Series M3 as it's built in high pass filters are interesting to me since I have Floorstanding/subwoofer setup.
rocky1's Avatar rocky1 09:04 PM 01-27-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason321 View Post

OK, this question is probably beneath everyone here but I am just a minor enthusiast. I have a Rotel RSX-1056 receiver and two front B&W speakers (not a big movie watcher).

No matter what I am doing (watching tv, watching a DVD, playing Xbox, listening to a CD, listening to an LP) I would like to keep the receiver in 2ch mode. Unfortunately it seems to be defaulting to Dolby 5.1 anytime I change inputs. When that happens, I have to get up and press the 2ch button, which is the bottom left-hand corner of the right-side set of buttons. Does anyone know how I could either:

I also have the rsx1056 but with a full speaker setup.You may try in your speaker settings to set everything to none except you fronts of course.If i remember correctly in the input settings you need to set to analog so you dont get any digital processing.Hope i explained this correctly,i dont have the rec. in front of me right now.Regardless check all your setting within the setups of your rotel.
Jason321's Avatar Jason321 09:46 PM 01-27-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1 View Post

I also have the rsx1056 but with a full speaker setup.You may try in your speaker settings to set everything to none except you fronts of course.If i remember correctly in the input settings you need to set to analog so you dont get any digital processing.Hope i explained this correctly,i dont have the rec. in front of me right now.Regardless check all your setting within the setups of your rotel.

Thanks man but the problem is I am having trouble getting into those proper settings, and I even have the online manual. Also are you sure I want to set everything to turn off all digital processing? The turntable is the only analog device I have...do I turn off all digital processing since every other device (cable, cd, xbox, etc.) already do digital processing?
miimura's Avatar miimura 09:58 PM 01-27-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason321 View Post

I also have a 1056. On the on-screen setup menus go to Input Setup, select the input you want to change, and change the "Default Mode" to "2 Ch". Then, whenever you select that input it will change to 2ch mode. Since you always want that to be the active surround mode, apply that change, one by one, to all your inputs.

- Mike
shadow 8's Avatar shadow 8 07:25 AM 01-28-2007
Quote:

Anybody home??????

Might learn to wait more than an hour to complain about no response.
The models you brought up are ancient by CE standards. They sound decent but have few video features of the newer models and lack the latest audio codecs.
Rinkledorf's Avatar Rinkledorf 08:18 AM 01-28-2007
Hello fellow Rotelians. My rotel setup is RSP-1068, RB-1070, RMB-1075, RT-1080. And I am loving it.
donjulio's Avatar donjulio 07:57 PM 01-28-2007
Has anyone heard of a new Rotel pre/pro with HDMI inputs and output? I have seen a new receiver coming but have not heard of a new pre/pro, anyone?
tbrunet's Avatar tbrunet 09:10 AM 01-30-2007
Quote:

I have a Rotel RSP970 & RDA 985. The DTS Decoder is breath taking, and IMO Rotel designs are really fantastic investments/value.
colourking's Avatar colourking 06:04 PM 02-03-2007
Hey folks,
My current setup is RSX-1057, Dyn Focus 220 Fronts, Center, NHT rears(to be replaced soon) and Denon 2910 DVD player. The setup works great but I believe I can throw more power at the Dyns. I looking for suggestions on amplifiers that would compliment my current setup. The options I can think of are

1. 2 Channel amplifies for the fronts - Considering Rotel RB 1080, Anthem MCA20 and ARCAM P90. Should I be considering RB 1070 its have the price of 1080 for reduction of 70W in power. Also 1080 has Damping Factor of 1000 to its advantage, does it really matter? What's y'alls suggestion

2. 3 ch amp for fronts and center. - Considering ARCAM P90/3 and MCA30. Does the 75w produced by 1057 sufficient to power the center. Any suggestions for 3x amp is welcome.

3. 5ch amp - I am not sure but I am willing to consider this. What about Rotel Class D amp?

I general would like to know how 1057 would perform as a pre. I have auditions lined up for all the above but would love get your suggestion because that is how I got the current setup and I am happy with it.
Rick58's Avatar Rick58 04:29 AM 02-06-2007
Thanks, petergaryr, for starting this thread. I'm using a Rotel RSX-1056 that I purchased just about a year ago. A few weeks ago, I purchased Monitor Audio Silver RS 6 (fronts), RS LCR (center) and RS FX (surrounds). My sub is an Energy s8.2. I calibrated the system with an SPL meter making use of the test tones in the receiver. I'm very pleased with the whole package and I'd like to get some advice concerning bass management techniques.
Could other members give me some idea about setting up the crossovers? Right now, I have the fronts set to large and the center and rears set to small. Everything is set to crossover at 80Hz. I guess if I knew a little more about the theory behind crossover settings, I could try a few different setups.
I'd also be interested in knowing the contour settings of other owners.

Thanks!
Rick
petergaryr's Avatar petergaryr 05:01 AM 02-06-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick58 View Post

Thanks, petergaryr, for starting this thread. I'm using a Rotel RSX-1056 that I purchased just about a year ago. A few weeks ago, I purchased Monitor Audio Silver RS 6 (fronts), RS LCR (center) and RS FX (surrounds). My sub is an Energy s8.2. I calibrated the system with an SPL meter making use of the test tones in the receiver. I'm very pleased with the whole package and I'd like to get some advice concerning bass management techniques.
Could other members give me some idea about setting up the crossovers? Right now, I have the fronts set to large and the center and rears set to small. Everything is set to crossover at 80Hz. I guess if I knew a little more about the theory behind crossover settings, I could try a few different setups.
I'd also be interested in knowing the contour settings of other owners.

Thanks!
Rick

The most typical advice on bass management is to set all speakers to "small" and let the sub handle everything below 80hz. The usual reasoning is that when you do that, the receiver (or amp) is relieved of having to do bass duty, thus offloading that to the amplifer of the sub. This allows a bit more headroom for the mids and highs that the receiver powers.

It isn't an absolute rule. The 80hz (or whatever point is chosen) isn't a sharp cutoff, but where the rolloff starts. The ultimate sound quality depends on how well the bass from the mains and that from the sub overlap.

Although I do recommend using an SPL meter to properly balance all channels, the ultimate authority on the sound quality is you. Play a part of your favorite DVD that has extended bass (War of the Worlds, Master and Commander, Flight of the Phoenix or the like) with the mains set to large. Then, set all speakers to small and replay the piece. If you truly can't hear any difference, I'd leave everything at "small". After much experimenting, that is what I have done.
petergaryr's Avatar petergaryr 05:03 AM 02-06-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkledorf View Post

Hello fellow Rotelians. My rotel setup is RSP-1068, RB-1070, RMB-1075, RT-1080. And I am loving it.

Nice setup!
jkhome's Avatar jkhome 05:48 AM 02-06-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by colourking View Post

I general would like to know how 1057 would perform as a pre. I have auditions lined up for all the above but would love get your suggestion because that is how I got the current setup and I am happy with it.

My 1055 is the earlier version of the 1057, works fine as a pre/pro (see my post above). As mentioned, I had what seemed to be a (DC offset?) problem, when using Jensen balancing output trannys fed by the single-ended outputs of the Rotel, to balanced inputs of my Aragon 8008BB, located across the room. Got popping noises, when changing input and digital signals. Moving the amp closer and using the unbalanced inputs of the Aragon pretty much solved the issue.

I can't tell you what amp(s) would sound best with your speakers, although I am a believer that some amps work better with any particular speaker brand. IMHO, you should try to keep the front three L/C/R amps matched. If I were to just upgrade the L/R amp, I would stick with Rotel.
tbrunet's Avatar tbrunet 06:07 AM 02-06-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick58 View Post

I calibrated the system with an SPL meter making use of the test tones in the receiver.

Just a suggestion here, if possible use 'pink noise' (calibration disc) instead of tone. It's been my experience that one measures the room more than the directly radiated sound from a given speaker. I noticed when I moved the SPL meter, the relative measured SPL magnitude was affected by even small adjustments of perception. When using pink noise I find the reading much more stable, and IMO "real world".

i.e. when you play a your reference tone, move your head about slowly from left to right, you will hear peaks and nulls just a few inches apart. These additions and subtractions are not as profound when using pink noise.
Ndgame's Avatar Ndgame 08:34 AM 02-06-2007
Hello everyone,

I am shopping for my HT system. I am working with my local deal "Audio Encounters" in Dublin OH.

I need to find an AVR that will pass a 1080P to my JVC 1080P tv. I was looking at the Marantz 7001 but have read on the forums that there are problems with the PS3 and passing 1080p. So I started looking at the new Rotel RSX-1058 that will be out in the next few weeks.

My problem is when I went to Audio Encounters to ask about the product I was informed that they are dropping Rotel because of all the problems they have had out of Rotel and their customer support.

So I was hoping that someone could help me here on that subject. I honestly feel like he is pushing Marantz down my throat. Honestly all I want is great hardware that won't have a problem with my PS3 and 1080P.

Thanks for you help.

NDGAME
shadow 8's Avatar shadow 8 04:30 PM 02-06-2007
Never trust a dealer who drops a good line of equipment and wants you to buy its replacement. Marantz is decent gear, but I have preferred Rotel in the past. I am not too excited about their upcoming products based on descriptions I saw from CES, but we will see when they get here. BTW, why don't you just run the PS 3 directly into your tv if you want 1080p?
JorgeLopez11's Avatar JorgeLopez11 05:11 PM 02-06-2007
Another "Rotelian" here:

1.- Stereo power amplifier RB-1080.
2.- Multichanel power amplifier RMB-1075.
3.- CD player RCD-1072.

Ndgame's Avatar Ndgame 05:26 PM 02-06-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow 8 View Post

Never trust a dealer who drops a good line of equipment and wants you to buy its replacement. Marantz is decent gear, but I have preferred Rotel in the past. I am not too excited about their upcoming products based on descriptions I saw from CES, but we will see when they get here. BTW, why don't you just run the PS 3 directly into your tv if you want 1080p?

Shadow8,

Thanks for you time! I could run the PS3 to the tv but would prefer to run everything via HDMI through the AVR and save on Cables. By doing this it saves me 1 HDMI cable and I optical cable.

I am excited about the new Rotel 1058 as well. Do you know if there are any online authurized dealers for Rotel being that my local dealer is no longer selling?

Thanks,
Ndgame
petergaryr's Avatar petergaryr 08:50 PM 02-06-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndgame View Post

Shadow8,

Thanks for you time! I could run the PS3 to the tv but would prefer to run everything via HDMI through the AVR and save on Cables. By doing this it saves me 1 HDMI cable and I optical cable.

I am excited about the new Rotel 1058 as well. Do you know if there are any online authurized dealers for Rotel being that my local dealer is no longer selling?

Thanks,
Ndgame

Here is a link from Rotel explaining why they don't have any authorized online dealers:

http://www.rotel.com/support/faqs/faqscdealer.htm
jjam_20's Avatar jjam_20 09:51 PM 02-06-2007
I love my rotel gear. I currently have a RB1090 & RMB1095 with a Denon 4306 as a pre/pro
dthree's Avatar dthree 10:11 PM 02-06-2007
I just joined the legion of Rotelieans this week. I replaced a Kenwood VR-2080 (which I hated) with a pristine RSX-1056 from Audiogon. I've had my B&W 601/CC6 (with Paradigm Atom surrounds) setup for quite a while now and they sound better now than they ever did. I had previously been pretty set on Yamaha for recievers but I'm so glad I finally switched. I plan to pick up a 2-channel Rotel amp for the fronts when I upgrade them to 603's.

BTW, is there any way to do audio input level adjustments on this reciever? Some of my sources are louder than others and I'd like to level them out.
rocky1's Avatar rocky1 04:56 AM 02-07-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dthree View Post

I just joined the legion of Rotelieans this week. I replaced a Kenwood VR-2080 (which I hated) with a pristine RSX-1056 from Audiogon. I've had my B&W 601/CC6 (with Paradigm Atom surrounds) setup for quite a while now and they sound better now than they ever did. I had previously been pretty set on Yamaha for recievers but I'm so glad I finally switched. I plan to pick up a 2-channel Rotel amp for the fronts when I upgrade them to 603's.

BTW, is there any way to do audio input level adjustments on this reciever? Some of my sources are louder than others and I'd like to level them out.

I also have the rsx1056(great receiver) and the 603s3's great combo IMHO.You can do all kinds of adjustments with this receiver.If you get the manual it's very simple.You can set all the inputs,levels and assignments as well.
burfle's Avatar burfle 10:04 AM 02-07-2007
hey warp which paradigms are you getting. would like to hear what you think of them as i am in the market and thinking of s 100 's
Tags: Rotel , Rotel Rsx 1562 , Rotel Rsx 1550 Home Theater Receiver , Rotel Rsp 976 Surround Sound Preamplifier Processor
1  2 3  4  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop