post #91 of 1311 Old 02-25-2007, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

Hey Peter, which Rotel model pre-amp/amp combination are you using with your B&W's?

I finally settled on the RC 1070 preamp, RB 1070 amp and RCD 1072 CD player.

That combination of electronics with the CM 7s seems to be pretty much where I want to be at this stage of the game. The Rotel gear have no problems driving the CM 7s to whatever level I need and still remain stable and surprisingly cool to the touch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1311 Old 03-09-2007, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I'm interested in playing with the RSX-1058 as soon as it comes out.

http://news.ecoustics.com/bbs/messag...81/310191.html

Seeking a speaker recomendation? Compare for yourself or be swayed by others who hear differantly, or by marketing, or just save time and get the cheapest , nicest looking, or smallest.
post #93 of 1311 Old 03-09-2007, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I understand the 1058 will not process PCM audio over its HDMI inputs which eliminates it if you want to use those inputs for blu ray/HD-DVD. The new Toshiba HD-DVD player does not have a 5 channel analog output so PCM decoding is essential if you want to hear the higher resolution audio codecs from that player, and this may be the trend of the future. I find this receiver disappointing at this point, unless the info I have heard is incorrect. $2K is a lot of money for a five channel receiver w/o audio HDMI support.
post #94 of 1311 Old 03-09-2007, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Not too happy about this omission myself.
post #95 of 1311 Old 03-13-2007, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

It is common for HDMI receivers to be unable to apply DSP to PCM received over HDMI. Some don't apply speaker level calibration either. However, it sounds like you're saying it doesn't take HDMI audio at all! Is that for real?

- Mike
post #96 of 1311 Old 03-13-2007, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Well its not 100% but it seems that way so far. We will see I guess.
post #97 of 1311 Old 03-13-2007, 08:33 PM

Rotel doesn't thrive on cutting edge. They completely and solely thrive on performance. I'm sure that all of the "features loaded" manufacturers will come out with their "new" versions long before Rotel. And to be honost; I hope so. The rest of you Rotel fans know what I mean. Rotel will wait until it's right and meets their standards. I'm not a fanboy, but it's what I've come to realize. Have fun waiting... I will.
post #98 of 1311 Old 03-14-2007, 04:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pschwartz View Post

Rotel doesn't thrive on cutting edge. They completely and solely thrive on performance. I'm sure that all of the "features loaded" manufacturers will come out with their "new" versions long before Rotel. And to be honost; I hope so. The rest of you Rotel fans know what I mean. Rotel will wait until it's right and meets their standards. I'm not a fanboy, but it's what I've come to realize. Have fun waiting... I will.

Problem is this is not a "feature" like room EQ or a fancy menu system. This is a necessity for getting optimum sound from the new video codecs, esp since Toshiba is now producing players that do not have 5.1 analog outputs. This is likely the trend for the future. Getting optimum sound quality from the new codecs should be a priority for a company based on sound quality. HDMI 1.1 has been in production for well over a year so its hardly cutting edge technology. OTOH, if Rotel is not so high on features why are they adding video scaling to what is essentially a 1057 receiver? I do not need this and would gladly trade it off for HDMI PCM capability.
post #99 of 1311 Old 03-14-2007, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow 8 View Post

Problem is this is not a "feature" like room EQ or a fancy menu system. This is a necessity for getting optimum sound from the new video codecs, esp since Toshiba is now producing players that do not have 5.1 analog outputs. This is likely the trend for the future. Getting optimum sound quality from the new codecs should be a priority for a company based on sound quality. HDMI 1.1 has been in production for well over a year so its hardly cutting edge technology. OTOH, if Rotel is not so high on features why are they adding video scaling to what is essentially a 1057 receiver? I do not need this and would gladly trade it off for HDMI PCM capability.

When you do a general forum search on HDMI, you often find posts from people discussing HDMI compatibility issues. I've run into this myself with a D* HR20-700 DVR for example. Despite the amount of time HDMI has been out, there are still handshake issues with it. A buggy HDMI is as useless as none at all, though I do agree that at some point in the future these will be resolved and it will be the standard.
post #100 of 1311 Old 03-14-2007, 08:47 AM

I had read in an earlier post concerning Rotel and there customer support. I bought a 1065 receiver about 3 1/2 years ago. about 6 months after I had it, it died. At the time we had just moved to our new house and my wife was planning a party for friends and family for our open house. I called rotel and explained my situation, they had a guy from fedex come pick up the receiver the next day and overnighted it back to me in time for the party, 2 day turn around mind you.

However, the receiver did not make it for the party, but that was because we had a foot of snow that day and fedex couldn't make it out.

Although I am in the market for a new pre/pro and rotel might not get the sale, I will have to demo the new stuff in the coming months. All in all they are very easy to deal with. I am sure there are some nightmare stories, but I have not heard any. Rock solid gear. My brother owns 3 pieces of rotel, pre/pro, the old 100 x 5 amp & dvd player he plays his thiels with them, he loves them as well.

Rotel 1065 reciever, Rotel 1080 2 x 200, bw 804s, htm3, bw 603s rears. velo dd10.
post #101 of 1311 Old 03-14-2007, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajflick42 View Post

I called rotel and explained my situation, they had a guy from fedex come pick up the receiver the next day and overnighted it back to me in time for the party, 2 day turn around mind you.

WOW!

Now thats what I call professional service / courtesy
post #102 of 1311 Old 03-14-2007, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrunet View Post

WOW!

Now thats what I call professional service / courtesy

I'll second that. After a year, I had an intermittent problem with the display on my RSP-1066 pre-amp. This was a very hard problem to replicate and repair, so I wasn't too surprised when the unit came back from service with the same problem.

Like ajflick42, I also had a party coming up soon, so my dealer contacted Rotel and they authorized an immediate replacement from dealer stock. Great service!
post #103 of 1311 Old 03-14-2007, 09:32 AM

Liked: 28
I have a set of Paradigm Reference Studio 100v4's as mains and a CC-690 center running off a Denon-3806. I've just upgraded to these mains from the Studio 60v3's. While I don't have any reference for listening yet, my concern is that the Studio 100's and the CC-690 are so big they'll need a seperate amp. I'm not concerned with running my surrounds off a seperate amp. So I'm looking for a good three channel amp. Would running the RMB-1066 bridged for three channel mode give decent results? One of my concerns is the physical size of the amp, due to space constraints. Another choice is an Anthem MCA 30, but it's huge and 40 pounds. Anyway, any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks.

post #104 of 1311 Old 03-14-2007, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petergaryr View Post

When you do a general forum search on HDMI, you often find posts from people discussing HDMI compatibility issues. I've run into this myself with a D* HR20-700 DVR for example. Despite the amount of time HDMI has been out, there are still handshake issues with it. A buggy HDMI is as useless as none at all, though I do agree that at some point in the future these will be resolved and it will be the standard.

Completely agree. I'm willing to wait if Rotel is doing the right R&D so we can get a product that is completely done right. Like a 1068 that is like the current 1067, but has a few HDMI 1.3s that can accept and decode all of the sound formats including the new lossless formats in full 7.1 (with that rich rotel sound). Their are very few receivers that can even except 7.1 lossless right now, no matter how long the manufacturers have been using HDMI. Once they have it complete, I'm guessing they will have new products replacing each pre/pro and receiver in their line up. I believe they use the 1056/1057/1058 as a mass market competitor. I don't see any need for a video scaler either. Especially since most of primetime/sports is in HD, A good quality DVD player looks good, and of course we have our new HD disc formats. Again, I'm guessing, but I don't think it could be more than a year before we see some exciting products from Rotel. They pretty much have to.
post #105 of 1311 Old 03-19-2007, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

If they were using these units as mass market competitors then they would lose. I think they make these units for people who want that Rotel quality sound but don't need, can't accommodate or can't afford a separate processor/amp/tuner.
post #106 of 1311 Old 03-19-2007, 11:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentiman View Post

So I'm looking for a good three channel amp. Would running the RMB-1066 bridged for three channel mode give decent results? One of my concerns is the physical size of the amp, due to space constraints. Another choice is an Anthem MCA 30, but it's huge and 40 pounds. Anyway, any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks.

I don't think I'd want to put such a demand on an amp like the 1066. Since space is an issue, have you thought about Rotel's new digital amps: 1077 (100 wpc x7), 1091 (500w mono) and 1092 (500 wpc x2)? Small bodies, large sound.

How about used: Rotel RB 993, 200 wpc x3.
post #107 of 1311 Old 03-20-2007, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Kind of late to the game here, but I've got a 2ch RX-1052 100w @ 8ohms driving 4ohm Onix Ref 1's and making music & video from a Denon 1720. When my HT is complete I'll move it over to a 2ch/whole house music set up with the RCD-1070 and maybe a Slim Transporter. Looking forward to looking forward!
post #108 of 1311 Old 03-20-2007, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post

If they were using these units as mass market competitors then they would lose. I think they make these units for people who want that Rotel quality sound but don't need, can't accommodate or can't afford a separate processor/amp/tuner.

I agree to an extent, but specifically, they have integrated HDMI "video" switching into the 1057 only. Every other model has remained the same for years. At a list of around 1200.00, and being their bottom of the line receiver. Although, quite possibly out performing receivers in that price range for sound quality alone (not features), realistically keeps it competitive for that market. I am very confident that once all of these compatibility issues are resolved, as well as the processing technologies are more available, Rotel will re-enter their place in the market. I say "re-enter" because a lot of people seem to think they are behind. I believe they won't actually release these cutting edge technologies until they are down solid. Rotel = Quality and Dependability.
post #109 of 1311 Old 03-27-2007, 07:29 PM

I saw one press release mentioning the 1058. Has anyone heard anything since?
post #110 of 1311 Old 03-28-2007, 03:30 AM

Quote:

I own this reciever and I love it. I was a little disappointed when I found out after the fact that the HDMI inputs do not recieve audio. I have contacted rotel customer service about the possibility of an upgrade that would enable it recieve audio over the HDMI but did not get a reponse that was very promising. Would this be possible and how hard would it be to pull off?

No, this would not be possible because the HDMI card in the '1057 does not have any hardware audio functionality. So unfortunately, software updates for this will not be possible. Even the upcoming RSX-1058 doesn't appear to support HDMI audio functions, but does come equipped with the same video scaler found in their new RVE-1060 component. So I guess it'll be the 6-ch. analog input game for them for at least another year, unless they decide to update the now-aging RSX-1067 to support HDMI audio.
post #111 of 1311 Old 03-29-2007, 06:43 AM

HI, is there a software upgrade for my Rotel RSP 1066?

thanks

post #112 of 1311 Old 03-30-2007, 12:59 PM

Also a new Rotel owner checking in. Just added a RSP1098 and a RLC1040 to my theater system. Two months prior I purchased a sunfire TGA5400 amplifier and B & W 703's, HTM7 & MT speakers to replace aging components. I use a Velodyne DD15 sub to handle the lows and it has worked perfectly for several years. One of my old carver tfm 35x amplifiers powers the zone 2 speakers in the other areas of the house.

Does anyone know if Rotel offering any software updates to the RSP1098?
post #113 of 1311 Old 03-30-2007, 06:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I ended up splurging a bit! I ended up getting a Rotel RB 985 - 5 Channel Home Theater Amplifier for $331.00 on ebay. It was $31 over my limit but the guy is local to me so I didn't pay any shipping at all. I should get it this weekend. Can't wait to see how well it does with the super inefficient(but incredibly beautiful in more ways than 1) ERA speakers that I own.

I had been using a Yamaha HTR-5790(110 Watts per channel 20Hz-20Khz) receiver to power them. It was doing ok but I really couldn't crank it up without them distorting. Will the rotel help with these 83 Db 1w1m speakers? Is the 985 enough or should I have gone for more?
post #114 of 1311 Old 03-30-2007, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 17
As a Rotel owner of the 1056 and the 1068 I can say they're great units.BUT...,If Rotel thinks a 1056 with hdmi is worth 2k they've flipped.I bought my 1056 new for $1,050 and my 1068 for $1,360.At that price they're good,for 2k they're are several separates sets that faaar exceed the 1056.I cant imagine what they have cooked up for the new 1068 $,2,500 lol.I think Rotel better check the competition.
post #115 of 1311 Old 03-30-2007, 08:47 PM

I spoke to Rotel about the upcoming 1058. The tech told me that it will handle audio to the HDMI 1.1 spec (no lossless or SACD). Also, they have put in a very high quality video scaler. That, I'm sure, is where the cost increase is coming from. He also said they would be changing their entire line-up by the end of the year, AND the second generation AFTER that, will all start to include HDMI 1.3 with the lossless on board, etc.
post #116 of 1311 Old 03-30-2007, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentiman View Post

I have a set of Paradigm Reference Studio 100v4's as mains and a CC-690 center running off a Denon-3806. I've just upgraded to these mains from the Studio 60v3's. While I don't have any reference for listening yet, my concern is that the Studio 100's and the CC-690 are so big they'll need a seperate amp. I'm not concerned with running my surrounds off a seperate amp. So I'm looking for a good three channel amp. Would running the RMB-1066 bridged for three channel mode give decent results? One of my concerns is the physical size of the amp, due to space constraints. Another choice is an Anthem MCA 30, but it's huge and 40 pounds. Anyway, any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks.

I got ya here lentiman, as you already know... we have the same setup, and you should just splurge and grab the Rotel 1095..

Not that you need 200 wpc for surrounds... can you say overkill or wasted amp channels, but hey.. the price was right... I got it for $1200. I wouldn't trade it for the world.. I love the sheer grunt !!!

Those 100's and the 690 are screamin for big power... and comparison wise... going from the power of my (temp) Pioneer 81 powering all those speaks to the rotel... it was night and day...

I know you said space is a constraint... but Audiogon has a few on there...
Now as size is a constraint, what is the budget...?

Audiogon also has a MCA 30 there for $850.. can't lose there...

Or Bang for your buck might go out to a Emotiva Digital amp...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #117 of 1311 Old 03-31-2007, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo C View Post

As a Rotel owner of the 1056 and the 1068 I can say they're great units.BUT...,If Rotel thinks a 1056 with hdmi is worth 2k they've flipped.I bought my 1056 new for $1,050 and my 1068 for $1,360.At that price they're good,for 2k they're are several separates sets that faaar exceed the 1056.I cant imagine what they have cooked up for the new 1068 $,2,500 lol.I think Rotel better check the competition.

This sounds like a bit of hyperbole to me. Tell me which component sets at $2K which "faar exceed" the 1056 and 1068. I have been looking and listening for years and never heard one that did that.
post #118 of 1311 Old 04-03-2007, 09:30 AM

Hi guys!
I'm an italian guy, and I search informations about Rotel Rsx-1057 AV receiver.
I have a question for you: is this Rotel model a future-proof receiver? I explain... In Italy the new HD-DVD/Blu-ray players are arrived only 1-2 months ago and anyone is able to answer me... I want connect in future a hd-dvd/blu-ray player, with DolbyTrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio decoder, to my future Rotel with the analogue connections (because the HDMI on the Rotel not accept audio and PCM signal), and I don't know if the 1057 is able to do a correct bass management. This is so important beacause I must change my old AV receiver Yamaha RX-V457, and if is possible ready for the new HD audio formats.
Somebody can help me?

Sorry for my "terrible" english...

Bye
post #119 of 1311 Old 04-03-2007, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

You can do the +10db boost on the sub that is needed for the analogs. The cross over points are set in the player. It works very well with my Toshiba HD XA1 connected to my RSX 1057.
post #120 of 1311 Old 04-03-2007, 09:56 AM

Thanks man!
Another question: in this case the bass management is work by your Toshiba, right? Or the Rotel can do bass management on their analogs input?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Rotel , Rotel Rsx 1562 , Rotel Rsx 1550 Home Theater Receiver , Rotel Rsp 976 Surround Sound Preamplifier Processor

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page