Rotel Owner's Thread - Page 45 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #1321 of 1323 Old Today, 02:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Would a DAC help with this problem? The Apple TV has optical output and it seems to me if the signal is converted to analog first, then this dropout should be eliminated. Just a thought! I'm no expert but someone on here will likely know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1322 of 1323 Old Today, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfrench View Post
Would a DAC help with this problem? The Apple TV has optical output and it seems to me if the signal is converted to analog first, then this dropout should be eliminated. Just a thought! I'm no expert but someone on here will likely know.
You make a good point, and I am considering that as well. It would seem superfluous to me to use an external DAC when my preamp already has a DAC, but, yes, that would probably solve the problem.

That said, I'd still prefer to keep the signal digital so that, if I choose, I can take advantage of bass management and DPLII entirely in the digital domain with a single digital-to-analog conversion at the end.
post #1323 of 1323 Old Today, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownstone322 View Post
I need some help regarding my RSP-1570 A/V preamp, which I bought in 2009. Thanks in advance.

Short Version

The RSP-1570 clips the first couple seconds off audio that comes in via HDMI. Not a new problem. Was there ever a firmware fix for this? How do I know what firmware I have? If there is a remedy, how do I get and load the firmware? I have never performed any kind of update on the unit, and I do not know how.

Background

I've known about this issue for years, but I almost always used an analog input for my Oppo disc player, so it never really mattered. The exception would be when I played DVD/Blu-ray, which I do input via HDMI, but then the first few seconds of audio are irrelevant -- it's usually the sound for the initial menus screen.

However ... for the past year, I have painstakingly re-imported my digital music library in lossless format (ALAC), and now, with the help of an Apple TV device, I stream audio from a MacBook Pro to my audio system using AirPlay. It's very cool; the Mac is now my primary audio source. But this also means the clipped intros on audio via HDMI have morphed from no big deal to a very big deal.

That's the whole story. Can anyone help me? Thanks again.
Hi, it seems like we have similar systems.

I have the 1572 and have the same problem playing music on my Oppo.

I have my Apple TV going HDMI into my Oppo. I have an HDMI connection and an analog connection from my Oppo to the 1572.
So when I play CDs, or stream Pandora from the Oppo, I use the analog output on the Oppo and the cut-out of the first few seconds is gone. The rare occasion i watch a movie on the Apple tv or a disc, i use the HDMI connection.

To play music from JRiver on my iMac, I don't use airplay. I use the USB out from the iMAC, to the USB in on the Oppo to use the Oppo DAC. Then I use the analog connection from the Oppo to the 1572 and there is no cut-out.

You can check your firmware version and any updates here...
http://www.bwgroupsupport.com/download/software

B&W 802 Diamonds | ASWCM12 sub | Rotel RSP-1572 pre-amp | Rotel RMB-1585 amp (bi-amping the 802 Diamonds) | Oppo BDP-105 | Samsung UN60H7150 | SurgeX QX515 Surge Suppressor/Power Conditioner | Audioquest Cinnamon HMDI, Ethernet, & USB A/B cables | Tributaries Type 6 Speaker Cables | Tributaries Series 6 Analog Interconnects | Acoustimac DMD-422 acoustic panels.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Rotel , Rotel Rsx 1562 , Rotel Rsx 1550 Home Theater Receiver , Rotel Rsp 976 Surround Sound Preamplifier Processor

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page