Rotel Owner's Thread - Page 51 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 41Likes

post #1501 of 1517 Old 11-18-2015, 04:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Awesome speaker setup, nothing beats them top tweeters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1502 of 1517 Old 11-26-2015, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 7
So I finally got a chance to get it set up, the mk2 I used to power the front 2 CM10s and the 5 change powers the Center, rears and surrounds.

Took about 8 hours to get it all where I wanted, tv on wall, cables connected where I wanted etc. works like it did when I took it out of the box.

Now last night I turned on the ceiling fan and I get a loud pop from the rears , all powered by the 5 channel amp. Not sure why. All the components run thru the Furman and earlier in the week it didn't happen.

My seats electronically recline and I can hear a light pop (they are on a diff plug than the rest of the room) but I hear it there too.

The fan (switch built in with other two switches with the house) is a crazy loud pop.

Any thoughts?
post #1503 of 1517 Old 12-07-2015, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
From DVD to BR - incorporating new sound formats.

Hi folks!

I'm going to list my system as it stands for BluRay playback. DVD playback whether using the BluRay player (HDMI) or the Rotel RDV-1080 (component) both using analog audio output gives similar visuals and good sound.
I would like figure out what is required to touch into the higher quality sound modes offered through BR discs. I assume HDMI or some form of digital audio pass through.
I do not understand the basis with which the sound is transmitted, is best to describe my understanding of the surround sound modes!

Okay, at one point surround sound could be sent via 2 channel RCA ... and then my understanding of what modes and how they work gets hazy, or maybe I am way off base.

Be gentle as I have just moved up from 2 channel audio, and yes I bought a BR player (in 2012) with the analog out ... but this model does not support functionality for 7.1 or similar via RCA, only stereo/5.1?.
I have had Rotel and B&W components for the last 13 years without complaint, and in fact, I am still rather enamored with them.

As it stands now:

Rotel RSX-1056 SS Receiver (5.1/w7.1+8.1capable) being used temporarily for 4.0 surround (no sub ATM, no center)
- analog out to 1x RB981 (130 watts x2) front channels driving bi-wired B&W DM603 S2's
- analog out to 1x RB980BX (120 watts x2) rear channels driving standard wired B&W DM602 S1's
- FC channel mixed (internal selectable option) into FL/FR, until speaker arrives, which will be 1x DM603 S3

Audio - Analog in from a Panasonic DMP-BDT320 3d BluRay player
Video - HDMI direct to Panasonic Plasma 50" ST30 3D TV (no use of ARC w/this configuration but it is there)
OSD via component or single RCA style cable to input on TV

Okay, so I have just entered into the world of DVD sound, but not BR? (I pose this as a question!)

The Surround Sound processing works to decode early sound formats used on DVD's but what decoding device can be used (or is there?) to pass through and get the sound formats used with BR discs and come back into my receiver and still use my analog setup?

The RSX-1056 is circa 2004-2006 and does not have HDMI function, therefore no HDMI pass thru.

I will attach a rear view of the units for handy reference.

You guys likely already have an answer on the tip of your tongue having read this far, as I see many here are VERY knowledgeable in this field.

I can still enjoy tons of material with the earlier sound formats ... but I'm wondering what happens to the sound with these new formats.

You guys are my primer into this new twist in my world.

Your help is appreciated.

THE BACK STORY -
I stayed well away from the newer stuff until formats stabilized and most of the movies came down in cost, to be able to buy them more frequently.
Heck, I would have jumped into DVD went it first rolled out, but nobody could settle on many factors built into it's roll out. I was a teenager then.
A few years later, I invested in components from Rotel/B&W for two channel audio and have lived happily with it for years.
Simplicity. Great sound. Period. I have low tolerance for minimal gain or stepping backwards with sound quality if things aren't done right ... even more so on a budget.
This is what I ended up with in short order, as many opportunities fell in my lap within days of one another. TY Kijiji
I saw an opportunity to pickup the fully functioning RSX-1056 for $200, the second amp RB-980BX for $200 and the DM602 S1's for $400 CDN. Two separate sellers, and a few audio interconnect cables later (some StraightWire speaker wires {which don't blend into the system ATM} and 2 pair StraightWire RCA IC's which do provide audio connection) I have a decent sound stage (surprisingly?) and for the first time since age 17 and an ill fated trip to the local Future Shop, I once again have some semblence of Surround Sound, albeit better sounding to start off.
I ran out of power outlets, whereby my RC-1070 Preamp {out of the current sound mix} now allows my BR player to power up because I only have limited slots on the power bar.
Power conditioning is in the back of my mind .... as the system only gets more expensive and yes, it should be there already for many reasons.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ROTEL RSX-1056 rear panel view.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	1105730   Click image for larger version

Name:	Panasonic DMP-BDT320 3d BluRay player back view.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	1105746  
post #1504 of 1517 Old 12-08-2015, 09:21 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hello,

If you really want to hear hi-res Blu-ray audio you're going to have to spend a little money or do some horse-trading. Hearing hi-res Blu-ray audio requires either a newer receiver/processor with HDMI capability or using a different Blu-ray player with 7.1 analog outputs to utilize the RSX-1056's 7.1 multi-channel analog inputs. If you get a player with 7.1 analog outputs you'll also need 8 analog interconnects (preferably matching - same brand/model) in whatever length required to make the connection.

Quick explanation: a Blu-ray player equipped with 7.1 analog outputs has a built-in decoder for TrueHD, DTS-HD, etc. The RSX-1056 doesn't have a decoder capable of those formats but it's multi-channel analog inputs are a pass-through so you hear the decoded hi-res format the player is outputting. The Blu-ray hi-res formats can't be sent through coax or Toslink (optical) digital connections so the only choice is transmitting via HDMI or player decoded multi-channel analog. Essentially, a coax or Toslink digital connection limits you to hearing only what the RSX-1056 can process internally (regular Dolby Digital, DTS, etc.) but via 7.1 multi-channel analog inputs you can hear Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, etc. because the decoding is done by the player.

If you look around you can probably find a good deal on a close-out Blu-ray player equipped with 7.1 analog outputs and if you have some spare interconnects you're not out much money. Mainly you have to decide whether to spend towards getting Blu-ray hi-res audio working with your current receiver or modernize the system to accommodate HDMI (which is it's own can of worms). The hi-res formats are definitely an improvement over regular Dolby/DTS but only you can decide if it's worth spending money on. Good luck!
Flying Eagle likes this.

"I wonder if it'd be louder with bigger wires"
post #1505 of 1517 Old 12-09-2015, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you for that rather complete analysis of what I am hoping to achieve as time goes on.

I really enjoy reading the posts here because I can live vicariously through those willing to purchase much more "grand" style equipment and report back to the masses about their experiences.

I figure I am not out much with the receiver because I can always use it as a multizone output unit as well. It has some good sound to work with.
The garage will get a sound treatment at some point, once I get the foam surrounds replaced on a set of old Boston Acoustic A70's (passed down from my pops).
The garage is less than 20-25 feet away.
Originally I was going to run sound in the basement ala two channel (DVD player/32" CRT in the basement in front of the weight equipment) and a second zone to the garage ... but then the itch to see what I could achieve with surround bit ... or rather I stumbled upon the right piece of equipment at exactly the right point in time!

All of this equipment is situated in a rather small room in a condominium/townhouse, so the lack of a sub is probably to the benefit of my neighbors. Some day ... but for now, I am now aware of the "bones" that will be required to get into BR surround sound playback.

I would like to pose another question, and see what you guys might feel is best for front sound staging.

System listed above, which will use LF and RF channels fed to 2x B&W DM603s2's and CC fed to 1x B&W DM603s3.

With the picture I link to below, would you put the center channel standing upright (for obvious reasons of sound/imaging) and above the screen (mounted on a pillar/tethered to the wall (?) to achieve an angle that allows the speaker to be "aimed" more directly at the seated listeners?

OR

Would you place all three speakers at ground level and set the screen up on the wall ?

Bear in mind I have a competent (but still 8 year old) son, that can handle this equipment, but I don't want anything setup that could fall over on people.

TV's should be at eye level of below from what I have always read and seems reasonable, as having watched TV's over fireplaces (another discussion for a different section of this forum I'm sure) was not my cup of tea.

I am more than willing to come up with some sort of pillar to elevate the Center Channel DM603 speaker.

For reference, I could care less about what it looks like, because the room is dark when in use and the sound paints a better picture than any paint or pictures I currently have on the walls.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5229 edit.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	928.2 KB
ID:	1109330  
post #1506 of 1517 Old 12-11-2015, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
How do u like the rsp-1582 so far?

Last edited by covers; 12-14-2015 at 12:02 AM.
post #1507 of 1517 Old 12-13-2015, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
How long have you had the unit?

Last edited by covers; 12-14-2015 at 12:03 AM.
post #1508 of 1517 Old 01-26-2016, 08:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Hi,
Anyone here have the information about the Rotel RB-1592 ? What is newer version between RB-1592 and RB-1590? What is better and if i have a change to get one of it at the same price, what should i get ? RB-1592 or RB-1590?
All i know is the RB-1592 380W/channel and RB-1590 350W/channel

Last edited by justbenice; 01-27-2016 at 12:05 AM.
post #1509 of 1517 Old 01-28-2016, 11:43 AM

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Hi justbenice,

The RB-1590 is the newer of the two models. The RB-1592 came to market in some places in Asia/Oceania years ago, whereas the RB-1590 was released worldwide last year. Where do they differ? The RB-1592 was in essence an RB-1080 with a newer cosmetic. However, the RB-1590 was extensively changed, although it shares the board layout and architecture of the RB-1590.

The RB-1590 features new power transformers (designed and built by Rotel), new XLR and single-ended input stages, new capacitor designs and much more.

Best Regards,

Patrick Butler
B&W Group North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbenice View Post
Hi,
Anyone here have the information about the Rotel RB-1592 ? What is newer version between RB-1592 and RB-1590? What is better and if i have a change to get one of it at the same price, what should i get ? RB-1592 or RB-1590?
All i know is the RB-1592 380W/channel and RB-1590 350W/channel
justbenice likes this.
post #1510 of 1517 Old 01-29-2016, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity just released a review of the RC-1590 and RB-1590, complete with some measurements for those of you more technically inclined.

Regards,

Patrick Butler
B&W Group North America
justbenice likes this.

Last edited by Patrick Butler; 01-29-2016 at 10:45 AM.
post #1511 of 1517 Old Yesterday, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I just bought a RMB-1075 off CL today. I did not get to test it prior, but it is in flawless shape, no scratches, one owner, came with the manual and two unused fuses and bluejeans interconnects. Anyway, it all looked great until I got it home. I have not had a chance to calibrate it, but I ran a manual channel level(after not hearing anything out of the left surround) from my Pioneer and there is no sound out of the left surround. I checked it the pos and neg were switched by mistake, tried a different rca\interconnect and still nothing. Now I realize that I should have tested the amp, but that was not possible. Any ideas what could be the problem? I contacted the former owner and he said it was working before he disconnected it two weeks ago. The amp is awesome otherwise, sounds great even though I have not re-calibrated yet.

Xbox LIVE gamertag: red71rum

Last edited by red71rum; Yesterday at 07:12 PM.
post #1512 of 1517 Old Yesterday, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 126
First thing to try is to make sure the receiver pre-out is working as it should. Did you try to plug a different pre-out to the non working amp channel to test. If thats not it, Rotel amps have little fuses within for each channel. It could be that one of the fuses have blown. That is an easy and cheap fix. To check, unplug the amp and let it sit for a while. take off the top and check out the fuses for the non working channel. If one is blown, you can usually find replacements at Radio Shack. I had to do that with a Rotel 2 channel amp I had.
red71rum likes this.
post #1513 of 1517 Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaji View Post
First thing to try is to make sure the receiver pre-out is working as it should. Did you try to plug a different pre-out to the non working amp channel to test. If thats not it, Rotel amps have little fuses within for each channel. It could be that one of the fuses have blown. That is an easy and cheap fix. To check, unplug the amp and let it sit for a while. take off the top and check out the fuses for the non working channel. If one is blown, you can usually find replacements at Radio Shack. I had to do that with a Rotel 2 channel amp I had.
I did try putting the the right surround preout into the left(non-working one). The amp did come with two unused small fuses in a bag. Are the areas where the fuses are located for each channel, obvious?

Last edited by red71rum; Yesterday at 07:45 PM.
post #1514 of 1517 Old Yesterday, 08:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red71rum View Post
I did try putting the the right surround preout into the left(non-working one). The amp did come with two unused small fuses in a bag. Are the areas where the fuses are located for each channel, obvious?
My experience has only been with the Rotel RB991 2 channel amp. in that amp, they were completely obvious and exposed once I got the top off. They weren't at all hidden from view.
red71rum likes this.
post #1515 of 1517 Old Yesterday, 09:11 PM

Quote:
My experience has only been with the Rotel RB991 2 channel amp. in that amp, they were completely obvious and exposed once I got the top off. They weren't at all hidden from view.
Well I removed the top after many crews and looked at the left side. I found that the last fuse facing the power supply, the 4th in line I think, had blown, it had burn marks inside. I removed the fuse with difficulty because I dont have the smallest hands and replaced it with the same one that came in the packed I think 6.3(It is too small I cannot read it well). Anyway, I put everything back together and then plugged it back in, sure enough there was a buzzing sound and I smelled a electrical burning smell. I quickly turned off the amp. I then plugged the left and right surround and plugged the surround back into my pioneer. I want to mention that all my speaker connections are banana plugs. I restarted everything and luckily the Rotel works, but without the surrounds,

post #1516 of 1517 Old Yesterday, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red71rum View Post
Well I removed the top after many crews and looked at the left side. I found that the last fuse facing the power supply, the 4th in line I think, had blown, it had burn marks inside. I removed the fuse with difficulty because I dont have the smallest hands and replaced it with the same one that came in the packed I think 6.3(It is too small I cannot read it well). Anyway, I put everything back together and then plugged it back in, sure enough there was a buzzing sound and I smelled a electrical burning smell. I quickly turned off the amp. I then plugged the left and right surround and plugged the surround back into my pioneer. I want to mention that all my speaker connections are banana plugs. I restarted everything and luckily the Rotel works, but without the surrounds,
I'm sorry to hear that it wasn't an easy fuse swap. They are small fuses aren't they. If he had extra fuses, chances are it might have had prior issues.
post #1517 of 1517 Old Today, 07:36 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear that it wasn't an easy fuse swap. They are small fuses aren't they. If he had extra fuses, chances are it might have had prior issues.
I am just a computer tech, not an electrician so I might not know what I am doing I know enough to respect electricity though and really don't want to fool with the inside of this amp. The amp at least works for L/C/R and I have the surrounds back on the receiver. I do wish I could get it working fully. I would have to look to see if there is a repair place in Nashville maybe. I wonder how much it would be though?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Rotel , Rotel Rsx 1562 , Rotel Rsx 1550 Home Theater Receiver , Rotel Rsp 976 Surround Sound Preamplifier Processor