Rotel Owner's Thread - Page 59 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 82Likes

Old 05-04-2017, 08:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by robphx View Post
Ok I have tried everything under the sun to pass 4K from direct tv through the RAP-1580. I have had zero consistency with this issue. I have been forced to bypass the RAP-1580 all together with any video . The lengths i have gone through these past few weeks have been incredible. I first purchased all new hdmi cables. next i got a new direct tv box. then i ended up taking back the RAP-1580 and got a new RAP-1580 . then i hooked up an Altona UHD SYNC . oh wait you guessed it no luck with that either so far. I have never ever experienced such a gigantic headache over something so absolutely simple. i mean simple setup here nothing complex about it. I would love to hear from any other owners of this product to see how they are doing with passing 4k video through this piece. I think this is one firmware update away. but before ya think i didn't update this thing i did that as well . the first unit i did it via ethernet this time i tried doing it via usb. even did the reset once it was updated and entered all the values into the settings again.. but the result unfortunately was the exact same. so at the end of all of this so far all i have to show for it is lack of sleep and a new appreciation of some of the old school ways we used to connect components with trusty analog cables.. this hdmi is less than great as far as i am concerned now .. anyone who has a RAP-1580 hit me up i would love to hear your story with the piece ...oh wait i even used a hdmi snoop program given to me by one of the techs. hopefully the information in those reports will help resolve this issue.. well thanks for getting to the end of this i am venting and desperate for someone to give me the golden nugget to resolve this issue..
To get the best video as possible you are better off running hdmi from your player straight to your device. Then just connect audio cables or other hdmi (assumin you have dual hdmi outputs on players these days) from player to avr or processor for sound. The 4K pass through on AVRs is more of convienence, but it breaks up signal chain. Not to mention there are hardly any hdmi cables that actually support and pass true 4K and requires very short distance to work. There is a thread on 4K and hdmi cables there too.

Theater: Sony 45es, 120 inch 16:9 screen, Panny BDT500, Rotel RMB-1075, Rotel RSP-1068, Klipsch RP-280F, RP-450C, RP-160M, SVS PB13 x 2, Monster Power Conditioner, GIK acoustic panels

TV Room: Panasonic 60" plasma, Integra DTR-30.3, Axiom Audio M60, VP150, QS8, EP500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2017, 10:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
To get the best video as possible you are better off running hdmi from your player straight to your device. Then just connect audio cables or other hdmi (assumin you have dual hdmi outputs on players these days) from player to avr or processor for sound. The 4K pass through on AVRs is more of convienence, but it breaks up signal chain. Not to mention there are hardly any hdmi cables that actually support and pass true 4K and requires very short distance to work. There is a thread on 4K and hdmi cables there too.
Ya know i agree the less connections the better. But i have to compromise and make this setup accesable to my family and extended family so if they hit the remote they can make it all work with out having to call me with issues. I know your way sounds perfectly acceptable too but inevitably they will want to switch from direct tv and go right into the smart tv apps. if you don't set it up to go through the RAP-1580 it isn't an achievable goal . I will run it two ways so i can have the best and the least amount of connections for me when i am using it but i need that simplicity option for the rest of the family. i hope that makes sense.. i will look into the HDMI and 4K threads as well . i guess i was just kind of bummed out that HDMI and a piece of equipment of this quality has such a stumbling block.. I will admit i never did any research into HDMI i took it for granted that after all these years of it being around it wasn't all buggy and a mess..
Old 05-04-2017, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ya know i agree the less connections the better. But i have to compromise and make this setup accesable to my family and extended family so if they hit the remote they can make it all work with out having to call me with issues. I know your way sounds perfectly acceptable too but inevitably they will want to switch from direct tv and go right into the smart tv apps. if you don't set it up to go through the RAP-1580 it isn't an achievable goal . I will run it two ways so i can have the best and the least amount of connections for me when i am using it but i need that simplicity option for the rest of the family. i hope that makes sense.. i will look into the HDMI and 4K threads as well . i guess i was just kind of bummed out that HDMI and a piece of equipment of this quality has such a stumbling block.. I will admit i never did any research into HDMI i took it for granted that after all these years of it being around it wasn't all buggy and a mess..
It will pass video through hdmi to avr to the display no issues especially 1080p....I was talking more about 4K itself since it requires very high bandwidth. And some equipment depending on avr model doesn't do it properly. You can ask specific questions about hdmi and 4K in this thread. UHD Blu-ray and Long HDMI cables - what works !

Theater: Sony 45es, 120 inch 16:9 screen, Panny BDT500, Rotel RMB-1075, Rotel RSP-1068, Klipsch RP-280F, RP-450C, RP-160M, SVS PB13 x 2, Monster Power Conditioner, GIK acoustic panels

TV Room: Panasonic 60" plasma, Integra DTR-30.3, Axiom Audio M60, VP150, QS8, EP500

Old 05-04-2017, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 36
@robphx : Monoprice sells HDMI Certified Premium that goes up to 25' for $20 that are guaranteed (per the certification) to work perfectly. Amazon Basics also work just fine for $10 for two 6' and I've seen TV vendors use them as their cables for demos at CES and other events. There are also other HDMI cables from Audio Precision and Murideo and both these will work perfectly. Active cables (even those that can do 18.0 Gb/sec) have been more hit-and-miss. They'll work perfectly from a source device, but not with a receiver in the middle. I've actually had much better luck for long runs by combining a 20' and 10' Monoprice certified cable with their $20 4K HDMI repeater.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Balanced (XLR) Cables

Quote:
Originally Posted by ereed View Post
Yes, XLR is just balanced and you use one cable vs 2 rca unbalanced cables. Sound is the same. But for very long runs such as 30+ feet xlr would be best if you had xlr connection option. If not, good quality rca is just fine. Nothing to stress over. Usually very high end equipment will have both xlr and rca options to give you more flexibility with connections, but the sound is pretty much par.

With only one XLR (balanced) cable you will only get one channel. In your example above: if the one XLR cable you mentioned is used in a stereo system for only one channel and the 2 RCA cables are used one for the left and one for the right channel, the sound will certainly be different. Do you actually believe the two options will sound the same?

XLR cables have many advantages:

They help to prevent hum in a system. In an RCA cable one wire also carries the ground which often causes hum. RCA cables of any length can cause hum due to ground loops. This forum and others sees lots of posts that mention hum problems. Pro's use balanced cables to avoid dealing with this problem. .

XLR cables are twisted-pair cables with a shield. This helps to reduce induced noise; both the twisting and the shield. This video gives a demonstration of how noise is induced. It also shows the advantages of star quad cable construction for balanced cables. Even without the star quad construction, balanced cables are to be preferred.

https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/app...stration-video

An XLR cable has a male connector on one end and a female on the other. This allows the cables to be connected in series when longer lengths or exact lengths are required.

Of often XLR cables have latching connectors which prevents accidental disconnects that are common with RCA cable.

Monoprice sells acceptable balanced cables. Companies such as Have, Inc. and Markertek will make up any lengths of XLR cable desired using whatever wire (manufacturer, color, construction) and connector (Neutrik XX connectors are nice and only cost a few dollars) are desired. The cables they produce are very high quality and the prices are less than from Blue Jeans. Blue Jeans XLR cables are well made, but their prices for XLR cables are much higher than for similar quality cables, that are also assembled in the U.S., from other sources.

This Monoprice cable is excellent for connecting RCA sources to XLR inputs. The cable has a male RCA on one end to connected to the source, and a male XLR on one end to connect to the input.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_...seq=1&format=2

Connecting an XLR source to an RCA input isn't a good idea. One of the single lines from the XLR side (usually pin 3, the (-) pin) will likely be connected to ground which will over stress the electronics in the XLR output with little or nothing gained.

This piece, written by Bill Whitlock of Jensen Transformers, shows the circuitry for the XLR-RCA connection noted above. See figure 2.1. The piece also has a lot of good information on balanced connections. Mr. Whitlock is an expert in this field. You can often find his presentations on YouTube.

http://www.jhbrandt.net/wp-content/u...-Equipment.pdf
ereed likes this.
Old 05-04-2017, 02:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanman View Post
@robphx : Monoprice sells HDMI Certified Premium that goes up to 25' for $20 that are guaranteed (per the certification) to work perfectly. Amazon Basics also work just fine for $10 for two 6' and I've seen TV vendors use them as their cables for demos at CES and other events. There are also other HDMI cables from Audio Precision and Murideo and both these will work perfectly. Active cables (even those that can do 18.0 Gb/sec) have been more hit-and-miss. They'll work perfectly from a source device, but not with a receiver in the middle. I've actually had much better luck for long runs by combining a 20' and 10' Monoprice certified cable with their $20 4K HDMI repeater.
Actually Monoprice didn't pass the test for 4K with 4:4:4 and 60fps. Look at the thread above I mentioned. There are few people actually testing cables to pass the signal as well as certain devices. You can ask there but from I remember it really doesn't pass regardless if the cable manufacture says it will.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguyca View Post
With only one XLR (balanced) cable you will only get one channel. In your example above: if the one XLR cable you mentioned is used in a stereo system for only one channel and the 2 RCA cables are used one for the left and one for the right channel, the sound will certainly be different. Do you actually believe the two options will sound the same?
I didn't even realized I put 2 rca cables in my quote. Thanks for catching that! Thats what happens when you type too fast and not re-read everything before you post. LOL

And yes I meant one XLR cable vs 1 RCA cable since each channel accepts one of each.

I was trying to say you can use either one of those options and its the same sound regardless. But you did mention the benefit of the locking mechanism of the xlr to keep cable from popping out. The main difference between the two is that xlr rejects noise better and better for very long runs such as running 50 feet or longer from avr to subwoofer for example. For short runs 6 feet and less its pretty much the same.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Ya know it is a bummer that HDMI is so finicky . i bought 3 1 meter audio quest cinnamon HDMI cables . Well they are more expensive than your suggestions and i suspect good cables i am not on the spend a ton for HDMI cables so i thought these were in a comfort zone for me that i was ok with but . heck hard to say what is causing the timing issue here .. i am in contact with two company reps one is Rotel the AVR and Altona a company that makes a HDMI sync tool. I am hoping that they are able to come to some resolution to this issue.. Crazy stuff ..
Old 05-11-2017, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Hi all,

A quick question. Anyone use the Rotel Link located on some of their integrated amps, RSP 1582 ssp etc? Does it control all Rotel components in the signal chain and/or does it use an app to control as well?

I seen one on the RSP 1582 but the manual doesnt explain its full function. I can only assume it links all components together. Thanks.

audiomanz
Old 05-13-2017, 09:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Ya know it is a bummer that HDMI is so finicky . i bought 3 1 meter audio quest cinnamon HDMI cables . Well they are more expensive than your suggestions and i suspect good cables i am not on the spend a ton for HDMI cables so i thought these were in a comfort zone for me that i was ok with but . heck hard to say what is causing the timing issue here .. i am in contact with two company reps one is Rotel the AVR and Altona a company that makes a HDMI sync tool. I am hoping that they are able to come to some resolution to this issue.. Crazy stuff ..
You should ask @markrubin he is a moderator and he loves (or lack there of) HDMI! Maybe he will chime in.
Old Yesterday, 11:52 PM

Quote:
You should ask @markrubin he is a moderator and he loves (or lack there of) HDMI! Maybe he will chime in.
Ya know i took back my Audio Quest Cinnamon cables and got three Audio Quest Carbon HDMI cables. Lets just say I have some pretty expensive cables now that didn't fix the issues i had passing 4K consistently from direct tv through the Hotel RAP-1580. This issue has been the absolute irritating thing. It isn't a life ender but something in this price range should work if want to pass my Direct tv or some other device. I am sure when i go into the shop where i bought my RAP they run to the hills because they are sick of seeing me.. I will try reaching out to the fella you mentioned. I am on a mission now to find the solution .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Rotel , Rotel Rsx 1562 , Rotel Rsx 1550 Home Theater Receiver , Rotel Rsp 976 Surround Sound Preamplifier Processor