Rotel Owner's Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1294 Old 05-13-2007, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Is there any chance that the 1057's firmware will be updated so it can process MPCM through HDMI? Or is it already capable of doing so?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1294 Old 05-13-2007, 05:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
That will not happen. The 1058 may or may not be able to handle MPCM, depending on who you talk to.
post #183 of 1294 Old 05-13-2007, 05:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Maybe I'm just ignorant when it comes to the workings of mid and hi-fi companies, but why does a company like Rotel seem so behind when it comes to integrating sensible features such as MPCM? HDMI ports that can only switch video? So what?

I guess what really annoys me is that they don't seem to release things too often, and their next product seems to focus on video processing more than anything, with MPCM being an uncertainty. It can't be that difficult to implement.
post #184 of 1294 Old 05-13-2007, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
does anyone know how or why Rotel doesnt mute the subwoofer LFE preouts when the input source is interrupted? or is there a way to do that, that I dont know about. Everrytime i change channels on our cable box or do something else, i hear a 'pop' on the subwoofer. i'm using an RSP-1068
post #185 of 1294 Old 05-14-2007, 01:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalith View Post

Maybe I'm just ignorant when it comes to the workings of mid and hi-fi companies, but why does a company like Rotel seem so behind when it comes to integrating sensible features such as MPCM? HDMI ports that can only switch video? So what?

I guess what really annoys me is that they don't seem to release things too often, and their next product seems to focus on video processing more than anything, with MPCM being an uncertainty. It can't be that difficult to implement.

MPCM?
post #186 of 1294 Old 05-14-2007, 01:50 AM

Quote:

Is there any chance that the 1057's firmware will be updated so it can process MPCM through HDMI? Or is it already capable of doing so?

It never will and software can't fix that. The 1057 is a 1056 with a passthrough HDMI board slapped into it.

Quote:

It's not that it's too difficult to implement. Manufacturers of mid- and hi-fi are MUCH smaller companies than big dogs like Denon, Pioneer and Yamaha are, with far fewer engineers. This means that they usually get their hands on new chips (like the ones that would enable full-blown HDMI 1.3) long after these larger companies do. And when they finally do, the products have to go through rigorous testing before they are ready to be mass-produced - all with less manpower. With time, they're bound to have a reliable product that has all the "critical" gadgets you get with mass-market Japanese receivers that receive face lifts every year.

Rotel isn't the only company this happens to.

I can't get a straight answer from Rotel (mostly because they really don't know for sure yet) whether the RSX-1058 will support LPCM audio over HDMI, but they seem to be leaning on no. Hopefully, they will be able to offer this incresingly important feature on the '1058 because frankly, $700 extra is a lot to pay just to get video scaling. At $1,999, you're a couple hundred dollars shy of the RSX-1067, which has a much better amp section.

What I do know is that the '1058 is not intended to replace the '1057 completely and that the two models will coincide.
post #187 of 1294 Old 05-14-2007, 05:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow 8 View Post

This sounds like a bit of hyperbole to me. Tell me which component sets at $2K which "faar exceed" the 1056 and 1068. I have been looking and listening for years and never heard one that did that.

Well....for one the Outlaw 990/7125 at $2k is waayyyy better than just having a 1068 and NO amp.The 990 alone is just as good,and better in some ways than the 1068.A 1058? at 2k? could never compete.The Outlaw 970/7075 at $1,298 including sub would be stiff competition in sound and a blowout for price.Also Emotiva is the obvious set at $2K and less(prepro and amp) that the 1068 at $1700+tx and 1058 @ 2k lol, cannot begin to compete with.

I presume you've heard these sets?I've owned everyone I've mentioned and many others.I'm no Rotel basher,I like em',they just have to compete for my money in the real world.
post #188 of 1294 Old 05-14-2007, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

I had a Outlaw pre/pro for three weeks (their first model) which hissed and sounded like crap so it went back. Tried their 5 channel 200 wpc amp; sounded ok but nothing special. I would take a Rotel receiver over any Outlaw stuff for sound quality and features unless I really needed a lot more power, in which case I would still buy a Rotel amp. Outlaw also looks like crap IMO but many people do not care and a few actually like the way it looks. Again, just a lot of hyperbole. Specs are similar enough that no huge difference should appear in sound quality. You may prefer one over the other but that is a subjective evaluation and will differ with each listener. Outlaw does not far exceed Rotel in anything. If you like Outlaw, thats fine, but the differences are not objectively significant.
post #189 of 1294 Old 05-15-2007, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo C View Post

Well....for one the Outlaw 990/7125 at $2k is waayyyy better than just having a 1068 and NO amp.The 990 alone is just as good,and better in some ways than the 1068.A 1058? at 2k? could never compete.The Outlaw 970/7075 at $1,298 including sub would be stiff competition in sound and a blowout for price.Also Emotiva is the obvious set at $2K and less(prepro and amp) that the 1068 at $1700+tx and 1058 @ 2k lol, cannot begin to compete with.

I presume you've heard these sets?I've owned everyone I've mentioned and many others.I'm no Rotel basher,I like em',they just have to compete for my money in the real world.

you can get a 1068 and a 1080 for very close to 2k. trust me, deals like that do exist, from authorized dealers even. You will not be disappointed with Rotel.
post #190 of 1294 Old 05-15-2007, 08:04 PM
gdc

Hello, Rotelians. I just found this thread, but I've been happy with my RMB-1077 Class D amp since last August.

It's driving B+W XT4/XT2/DS7 speakers very nicely.

I was hesitant to go Class D, but I'm pleased with the sound. In fact, I plan to go for the monoblock 1091s sometime this year for my L+R fronts - I've heard them, and they are pretty amazing with the XT4s.

I think Rotel has nailed the use of the IcePower technology.

- Gordon

We don"t see things as they are, we see things as we are. - Anais Nin
post #191 of 1294 Old 06-03-2007, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

I just ordered a RSX-1057 receiver (arriving Tuesday...) to be connected to my existing RB-1070 amp driving the mains.
In the back of the receiver it says 8 Ohms minimum. I'm not sure about the specs on the 2 channel amp. My Martin Logan Clarity are 6 Ohms and I think the ML Fresco center channel is 5 Ohms.
Will I have a problem with the setup?
post #192 of 1294 Old 06-03-2007, 07:08 AM

I am also a member of the rotel family. I've got the 1066 pre, the 1075 amp, and the 1072 cd player. I'm using Mirage om-5's as my fronts, a deftech clr-3000 as my center, and a pair of Eosone surronds. I am very happy with the Rotel equipment. In the future, I might add a 1095 amp or a 1080 to power my fronts because every person I know who owns Mirage om-5 speakers say they love power. Has anyone owned the 1095, 1075, and the 1080? I would like to know what I would be gaining.
post #193 of 1294 Old 06-03-2007, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by renpar61 View Post

I just ordered a RSX-1057 receiver (arriving Tuesday...) to be connected to my existing RB-1070 amp driving the mains.
In the back of the receiver it says 8 Ohms minimum. I'm not sure about the specs on the 2 channel amp. My Martin Logan Clarity are 6 Ohms and I think the ML Fresco center channel is 5 Ohms.

I have the rsx1056 and had that issue also.Most will say no problem w/4ohm speakers,others are hesitant.My spks are 4ohm nd so far so good.I am planning on adding a class d amp in the future possibly the rb1072.If your receiver gets real hot you'll have a problem,if not dont worry about it till it does.thats what i'm doing.P.S. there are a few people at rotel forum that have the 1056 running ML's.
post #194 of 1294 Old 06-06-2007, 03:27 AM

Well, i have connected my Rotel RSP-1098/Ceratec Penta combi to a new pair of speakers (5.1) i bought 2 weeks ago.
The sound is unbelievable ... crisp, very detailed, warm and a great soundstage.

Audio Physic Spark 2005 (Fronts)

Audio Physic Step (Surrounds)

Overview with Audio Physic Celsius (Center)
post #195 of 1294 Old 06-10-2007, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

is anyone having any problems with audio muting when changing inputs on their rotel equipment when using a subwoofer? i get a 'pop' everytime i change the channel or an input, i'm assuming thats from the low level signal not being muted... i'd like to know if my pre-pro is malfunctioning or if thats the design.
post #196 of 1294 Old 06-10-2007, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ou8thisSN View Post

is anyone having any problems with audio muting when changing inputs on their rotel equipment when using a subwoofer? i get a 'pop' everytime i change the channel or an input, i'm assuming thats from the low level signal not being muted... i'd like to know if my pre-pro is malfunctioning or if thats the design.

I just checked my Rotel RC-1070, and I do not receive "pop" when I change from CDP to my computer (AUX1). I only receive "pops" when I turn on a different piece of electronics (like my window air conditioner, or large fan). If my subwoofer's amp is off, I also get a pop through my speakers when I engage the subwoofer amp.
post #197 of 1294 Old 06-10-2007, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

so there's something screwy on my end then... perfect. thanks for checking.

btw, how do you use HDCD decoding? in order to use that, do I have to connect the coaxial out on my dvd player to the input on the Rotel, and then select it? I think I have one CD that has the HDCD logo on it. anyone used that?
post #198 of 1294 Old 06-10-2007, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

btw, how do you use HDCD decoding? in order to use that, do I have to connect the coaxial out on my dvd player to the input on the Rotel, and then select it? I think I have one CD that has the HDCD logo on it. anyone used that?

Im not sure, i have just a stereo preamp while you, i think, have the preamp/processor unit. My cd player has HDCD built in so that when a CD has it, it just turns on an LED telling me so and plays it.
post #199 of 1294 Old 06-11-2007, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

I have the Rotel RCD1072 CD player and the HDCD light comes on when it recognizes that encoding on the disk. I have it connected via analog.

I also have a Mitsubishi DVD/DVD-A player that has HDCD decoder in it that only works when I am using the analog rather than optical outs.
post #200 of 1294 Old 06-11-2007, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

The decoding (as others have suggested) can either occur in your CD player, or in your processor. If your CD player provides it, then it will be played via the analog outs. If your processor (e.g., the RSP-1068) can decode HDCD, then a digital connection to the processor will enable the processor to decode it. If the disc is HDCD-encoded, the processor will recognize it automatically.

Brad
post #201 of 1294 Old 06-11-2007, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkisagoonie View Post

It's not that it's too difficult to implement. Manufacturers of mid- and hi-fi are MUCH smaller companies than big dogs like Denon, Pioneer and Yamaha are, with far fewer engineers. This means that they usually get their hands on new chips (like the ones that would enable full-blown HDMI 1.3) long after these larger companies do. And when they finally do, the products have to go through rigorous testing before they are ready to be mass-produced - all with less manpower. With time, they're bound to have a reliable product that has all the "critical" gadgets you get with mass-market Japanese receivers that receive face lifts every year.

Its probably an even easier answer than your's. They don't want to put out products that will inevitably have a case of the first year blues. Look at some of the threads by owners of gear made by the mass market companies: My Denon doesn't recognize, blah, blah, blah. Why doesn't my Yamaha output video to my plasma through HDMI? And on and on.

Rotel is about sound quality. Run your video equipment to your display, direct. If you don't have enough inputs, buy a different display.
post #202 of 1294 Old 06-11-2007, 06:56 AM

Quote:

I think your 1057 is very similar if not identical, amp wise, to the 1055. Heres a link to the Rotel FAQ page. http://rotel.com/support/faqs/faqs-rsx1055.htm Scroll down and you will find the question about 4ohm speakers.

You will be fine.
post #203 of 1294 Old 06-11-2007, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

thanks for the responses folks. my dvd/cd player cannot decode HDCD, and i have it connected via analog inputs. i'll try the coax digital input and see if the hdcd connection works.
post #204 of 1294 Old 06-15-2007, 09:18 PM

Hello all,

I'm in the process of upgrading my HT system and perhaps got a little carried away all at once. Moving from integrated 6.1 to separates 7.1 was the plan. After owning and enjoying B&W 804n, 805n & HTM1n, I wanted move to 802Ds and HTM1Ds. I was told power was going to be needed and picked up (2) RMB-1095s. I worked out a bi-amp scenairo as follows:

Amp (1) CH1: L Front High
Amp (1) CH2: L Front Low
Amp (1) CH3: Ctr High
Amp (1) CH4: L Side
Amp (1) CH5: L Rear
Amp (2) CH1: R Front High
Amp (2) CH2: R Front Low
Amp (2) CH3: Ctr Low
Amp (2) CH4: R Side
Amp (2) CH5: R Rear

Front L = 400 W
Front R = 400 W
Center = 400 W
Side L = 200 W
Side R = 200 W
Rear L = 200 W
Rear R = 200 W

Any thoughts?
post #205 of 1294 Old 06-16-2007, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindamood View Post

The decoding (as others have suggested) can either occur in your CD player, or in your processor. If your CD player provides it, then it will be played via the analog outs. If your processor (e.g., the RSP-1068) can decode HDCD, then a digital connection to the processor will enable the processor to decode it. If the disc is HDCD-encoded, the processor will recognize it automatically.

I havn't had time to test this but do you have to have an HDCD enabled player to send the HDCD signal as bitstream to the processor/receiver?
post #206 of 1294 Old 06-16-2007, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTEQ View Post

Hello all,

I'm in the process of upgrading my HT system and perhaps got a little carried away all at once. Moving from integrated 6.1 to separates 7.1 was the plan. After owning and enjoying B&W 804n, 805n & HTM1n, I wanted move to 802Ds and HTM1Ds. I was told power was going to be needed and picked up (2) RMB-1095s. I worked out a bi-amp scenairo as follows:

Amp (1) CH1: L Front High
Amp (1) CH2: L Front Low
Amp (1) CH3: Ctr High
Amp (1) CH4: L Side
Amp (1) CH5: L Rear
Amp (2) CH1: R Front High
Amp (2) CH2: R Front Low
Amp (2) CH3: Ctr Low
Amp (2) CH4: R Side
Amp (2) CH5: R Rear

Front L = 400 W
Front R = 400 W
Center = 400 W
Side L = 200 W
Side R = 200 W
Rear L = 200 W
Rear R = 200 W

Any thoughts?

Not sure why you are passive bi-amping, but you don't add up the wattage like that. You would have to bridge the amp channels to get a sum in power (then you would reconnect the High/Low bridge on the speakers. 200W High + 200W Low is not the same as 400W overall. The latter would allow the speaker more amp headroom as it would have the ability to draw the necessary current it wanted when the occasion arises.
post #207 of 1294 Old 06-18-2007, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyV View Post

I havn't had time to test this but do you have to have an HDCD enabled player to send the HDCD signal as bitstream to the processor/receiver?

no you dont. I tested this a few days ago. I connected the coaxial output of my dvd player to the rsp-1068. I put in an HDCD into the player and the rotel immediately recognized the format and the sound format changed to HDCD. It did honestly sound better than the regular CD encoding. I was very surprised, and saddened that more CDs didnt have this.
post #208 of 1294 Old 06-22-2007, 09:37 AM
Advanced Member

I am a little confused by the surround processing of my new Rotel RSX-1057. I hooked up my Dish receiver with HDMI and optical on Video 1. The settings on the receiver default to "Dolby Pro Logic Cinema".
When the broadcast is in stereo 2ch, the receiver does an awesome job in decoding and sending the signal to all the speakers. Dialogue is clear and crisp from the center, the low frequencies on the sub are perfectly balanced.

On the other hand, when dealing with 5.1 signal, I get very different results: sometimes I get little or no sound from the center with most of the dialogue coming from the L and R, or the opposite, the center carries all the sound and the mains are very low. Same thing with the sub sometimes too loud, sometimes barely audible. The settings stays always the same, this differences are from channel to channel. Also, when receiving 5.1 signal, the receiver doesn't allow to change the type of surround processing, so I can't go to PLII Cinema to PLII Music or 5ch Stereo and so on. Am I missing something?
post #209 of 1294 Old 06-22-2007, 10:01 AM

Quote:

I am a little confused by the surround processing of my new Rotel RSX-1057. I hooked up my Dish receiver with HDMI and optical on Video 1. The settings on the receiver default to "Dolby Pro Logic Cinema".
When the broadcast is in stereo 2ch, the receiver does an awesome job in decoding and sending the signal to all the speakers. Dialogue is clear and crisp from the center, the low frequencies on the sub are perfectly balanced.

On the other hand, when dealing with 5.1 signal, I get very different results: sometimes I get little or no sound from the center with most of the dialogue coming from the L and R, or the opposite, the center carries all the sound and the mains are very low. Same thing with the sub sometimes too loud, sometimes barely audible. The settings stays always the same, this differences are from channel to channel. Also, when receiving 5.1 signal, the receiver doesn't allow to change the type of surround processing, so I can't go to PLII Cinema to PLII Music or 5ch Stereo and so on. Am I missing something?

Why would you want to change the processing from DD if you are receiving a DD source, like a HD channel?
post #210 of 1294 Old 06-22-2007, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuthed View Post

Why would you want to change the processing from DD if you are receiving a DD source, like a HD channel?

This is not my main concern, but let's say I am watching a concert on HD channel, it would be nice to switch to PLII Music. To me it just doesn't make sense that you can't change "soundfields". Is there any setting in the receiver to bypass this "lock"?
Anyways, my main concern is that my receiver is not processing the signal correctly, or that I made some mistake in the settings to cause that.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Rotel , Rotel Rsx 1562 , Rotel Rsx 1550 Home Theater Receiver , Rotel Rsp 976 Surround Sound Preamplifier Processor

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page