Going Rate for Denon AVR-5600? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 24 Old 01-24-2007, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Denon AVR5600 is an old model. It was a flag ship of Denon back in 1999. I was wondering how much it is today for a used one (working condition of course) with remote control?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 01-24-2007, 09:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Mint, three days ago on the bay... $479
post #3 of 24 Old 01-24-2007, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

Is it worth to get the AVR5600 or the newer models with the component inputs, HDMI, 6.1, 7.1 nad all the new features that new technology offers?

I want to use the receiver for movie viewing experience only and not that interested in 6.1 or 7.1.

What would I get if I use a receiver with HDMI, component inputs?
post #4 of 24 Old 01-24-2007, 09:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

You want falgship? the 5600 is a beast for what it is. But it does not have enough features to support most modern home theaters.

It is veyr limited in what decoders are on board, it is very limited on HD video connections, it is limited in the fact it can't take audio via HDMI because it doesn't have any HDMI at all.

In flagship AVRs, I am not sure anything out there beats the current 5800 series Denon stuff.

"What would I get if I use a receiver with HDMI, component inputs?"

You would get the ability to video switch HD sources and you would have access to new lossless digital sources via a digital audio/video connection with HDMI.
post #5 of 24 Old 01-24-2007, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

So disregards all the new technologies todays (6.1, 7.1, HDMI, components, HD....), the AVR5600 (or anything that is 5.1) would be ok for home theater audio experience?

I am not really interested in video switching using component connections offered in newer receiver models. I can connect my HD cable box via component output (or HDMI output) into my HD plasma TV component input (or HDMI input). Same can be done for DVD component output into HD plasma TV component input.

Do I loose anything there?

Sorry for being so ignorance in the new HDMI, component connection stuff via a receiver.
post #6 of 24 Old 01-24-2007, 09:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Hmm, well you may be able to get everything working now. But what if you want to add a Blu-ray player? HD-Tivo? HD-DVR? HD-DVD? ect..ect..ect... I understant this can be a difficult concept for people new to HDTV. But those of us that have had multiple HDTV sources for a while are painfully aware of the limitations older AVR's represent when you start adding sources.

Sonically the 5600 is going to sound amazing no doubt about it. I think it even lacks a DTS decoder, that really puts it at a disadvantage as far as HD-DVD is concerned in particular.
post #7 of 24 Old 01-24-2007, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER View Post

Hmm, well you may be able to get everything working now. But what if you want to add a Blu-ray player? HD-Tivo? HD-DVR? HD-DVD? ect..ect..ect... I understant this can be a difficult concept for people new to HDTV. But those of us that have had multiple HDTV sources for a while are painfully aware of the limitations older AVR's represent when you start adding sources.

Sonically the 5600 is going to sound amazing no doubt about it.

http://www.prillaman.net/hdmi_faq.html#D1

How does it work with receivers and SSP's?
1. HDMI video switching

A number of receivers and surround processors include a couple HDMI inputs and an HDMI output, but as you dig deeper into the specs you find that the HDMI is actually just for video switching (similar to a standalone Gefen switcher built into the unit). These units cannot accept any audio (Dolby Digital or DTS bitstreams, or simple PCM audio) from the HDMI connections. In these cases, the HDMI switching is a convenient way to connect more than one DVI/HDMI source (cable or satellite receiver, upscaling DVD player, or HD-DVD/Blu-ray player) to a single HDMI or DVI input on a TV, but you'll still need to provide separate audio connections (coaxial or optical digital audio for the cable/satellite or DVD and multichannel analog audio from the HD-DVD or Blu-ray).

I got it. I will be limited to what video source I can connect to my HDTV plasma TV. For now the cost of HD-DVD, Bluray DVD and their software (DVDs) availability is something that needs to be taking in consideration. Not many HD-software are available yet on the market and cost of the HD players (HD-DVD player and Bluray DVD player) is quite expensive.

I am glad to hear that you pointed out the ability to connect various HD sources (via the receiver) to a HD display monitor (e.g., HDTV).

Is there a big difference in video loss in terms of using component connections via a receiver or direct to a HDTV from a HD source (HD cable, HD-DVD, Bluray DVD)? How about audio loss if using the typical coaxial connection for digital sound?
post #8 of 24 Old 01-24-2007, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Sonically the 5600 is going to sound amazing no doubt about it. I think it even lacks a DTS decoder, that really puts it at a disadvantage as far as HD-DVD is concerned in particular.

The Denon AVR5600 comes in two different models: AVR5600 DTS and AVR5600. The later one is THX certified. I thought THX is "equivalent" to DTS. Denon and with many other manufacturers, does not want to pay the extra cash to get their receivers (with Dolby Digital DTS) "certified" with THX, since both are similar.
post #9 of 24 Old 01-24-2007, 10:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

DTS is a software decoder, not associated or equivelent to THX at all. If it has a DTS decoder capable of taking the highest bit rate DTS 1.5mb that is defientrly a plus for it.

AVR's that do not take audio via HDMI would be useless for me personally.

Coax and optical digital audio connections will not support new lossless sound formats. So to get them digitally to your AVR, HDMI with audio processing is a must.

On the title / software count for HD-DVD and Blu-ray. This year will be pivitol, both camps are stating tons a titles are comming out. I'd expect nearly 1000 to be available by years end between the two formats.

I'mnot talking you out of the 5600 at all, I just want to make sure you understand it's limitations in the modern HDTV world is all.
post #10 of 24 Old 01-24-2007, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

DTS is a software decoder, not associated or equivelent to THX at all. If it has a DTS decoder capable of taking the highest bit rate DTS 1.5mb that is defientrly a plus for it.

Is it better to have a THX certified receiver or a receiver with DTS?
post #11 of 24 Old 01-24-2007, 10:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Not having DTS is a big disadvantage, not having THX has virtually no disadvantage at all.
post #12 of 24 Old 01-24-2007, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

DTS here I come then.

There was an ebay auction for the Denon AVR-5600 and Denon DVD-2000, both in mint working condition, both missing remote controls. The auction ended with $510 for both + shipping.

What do you think about this price?
post #13 of 24 Old 01-24-2007, 11:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The pricing seems good enough for what you would be getting. Missing remotes is a bit of a drag unless you have an aftermarket Harmony 880 remote or something similar.

I am always skeptical or maybe even leary of missing remote items. This is a flag the items may be hot as in stolen. It does not mean they are, but why would you have both of those and no remotes is all?
post #14 of 24 Old 01-24-2007, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

Since you mentioned about DTS, I am bought on DTS thing now. And with more digital inputs offered on newer models, it's better of to go with these. But, the price is quite expensive for newer models (AVR5700, 5800...)
post #15 of 24 Old 01-24-2007, 12:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Well... That is the way it is if you want flagship products....

The 4800 series is near flagship quality and offers a much better price / performance mix with Denon.

Most people are real happy with the 2807 which is 3 lines down from flagship in the Denon line.

I chose the Marantz SR7001 myself, at the time the SR8001 was flagship for Marantz. I tend to go one level below flagship on the AVR's I buy and suggest.
post #16 of 24 Old 01-24-2007, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Nice receiver for the Marantz SR7001.

In actuality, I am not looking for a flagship model. It's just that the Denon AVR-5600 WAS a flagship model for Denon back in 1999. Now the price of this model has dropped dramatically down to under $500.

What's the best bang for the bucks for receivers that is under $500 with today's technology? Of course I am not talking about Sony or Pioneer brands. Something similar to Denon or Marantz or Onkyo.

I own a Denon AVR3600DTS and eversince I own it, I love Denon sound and build quality.
post #17 of 24 Old 01-24-2007, 01:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I can't believe nobody else has chimed in here.

I am weak on $500- ish AVR's.
post #18 of 24 Old 01-24-2007, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

John, what do you know about these? prices?

ROTEL RSP-980 THX SURROUND SOUND PROCESSOR
ROTEL RDA-975 DIGITAL SURROUND ADAPTER
ROTEL RDA-985 DTS SURROUND DECODER
post #19 of 24 Old 01-24-2007, 01:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Somebody help? I am out of my relhm here.
post #20 of 24 Old 01-31-2007, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Well... That is the way it is if you want flagship products....

The 4800 series is near flagship quality and offers a much better price / performance mix with Denon.

John, you mentioned the AVR4800, what do you think about this model? performance? current price for it?
post #21 of 24 Old 02-01-2007, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentonhq View Post

John, you mentioned the AVR4800, what do you think about this model? performance? current price for it?

I have the Denon 4800 and it's an excellent unit. You have to hook up an out board amp to get the back two cahnnels of the 7.1 setup, but even without those effects the receiver is a beast. It also has component input for TV and DVD and a component output to allow the receiver to act as a switcher. I have mine currently set up with an older Denon AVC 3030 (110 WPC) as the rear amp for a true 7.1 surround sound.

http://www.hometheatermag.com/receivers/39/

http://usa.denon.com/ArchivedAVRecei...mageField.y=10

Prices are very reasonable for this unit if it can be found.
post #22 of 24 Old 02-01-2007, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Maxdog03, thanks for the reply. My HT room is small so I am not planning on hooking up the 7.1 set up though (7.1 = center back surround right?)

As for component switching, is it really neccessary to use the Denon as a switcher? What's the difference if I hook up my component cables from either DVD or Cable box directly to my plasma display?

You also mentioned prices are very reasonable for this model. What is reasonable? Did you get yours brand new?

There was an auction on eBAY for the following and it ended with $765 for all:
Denon AVR4800
Boston VRS Pro surround speakers (2)
Boston VR35 THX front speakers (2)
Boston VR2000 powered subwoofer

What do you think?
post #23 of 24 Old 02-01-2007, 02:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Pretty good deal and would make for a great sounding system for sure.

Well once again, you can run out of inputs quickly once you get into HD. My 4802 had three component inputs and I used the heck out of them.
post #24 of 24 Old 02-01-2007, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentonhq View Post

Maxdog03, thanks for the reply. My HT room is small so I am not planning on hooking up the 7.1 set up though (7.1 = center back surround right?)

As for component switching, is it really neccessary to use the Denon as a switcher? What's the difference if I hook up my component cables from either DVD or Cable box directly to my plasma display?

You also mentioned prices are very reasonable for this model. What is reasonable? Did you get yours brand new?

There was an auction on eBAY for the following and it ended with $765 for all:
Denon AVR4800
Boston VRS Pro surround speakers (2)
Boston VR35 THX front speakers (2)
Boston VR2000 powered subwoofer

What do you think?

I purchased mine new when it first came out, but I have seen them occassionally on ebay. Another nice receiver that might interest you is the 3800 series (00,01,02,03,05) it's a step down from the 4800 series (00,02,06) but still an excellent unit. As far as using the receiver as a switching unit, it's not necessary at all, but it simplifies the setup if you're running multiple components (cable box, dvd player, vhs, gaming system etc.) as you just push a button on the receiver remote and the source is activated. The same can be done with the TV display also. It's more of a personal choice but using the receiver eliminates the amount of wires you have to run to the plasma and it can be a cleaner set up by running all the components to the receiver and one output to the plasma. Do a search on Ebay and also craigslist as they pop up occassionally.

I also saw that auction on Ebay and it seemed very reasonable for the pieces that he was selling.

Here's a heck of a deal on ebay right now. It's Denon's 5700 whcih was their flagship receiver years ago and it has DTS and Dolby Digital decoding. It's the model right before my 4800 and lacks the ES and EX decoding, but you said that wasn't an issue for you anyway. This thing is a beast and would make for a killer audio video receiver. Do a search and you should be able to pull it up. It won't let me link from here.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page