post #30031 of 72381 Old 08-25-2010, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

From MultEQ XT to MultEQ Pro, the ringing in the LF decreased as well. That, at least, was measured.

Would you mind sharing those graphs? Or are they already online?

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #30032 of 72381 Old 08-25-2010, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 729 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

In practice, a lot will depend upon the specifics of your room. If you don't have the space to properly place "wide" speakers, then the fact that they are theoretically the "most important" doesn't do much for you

If think the biggest drawback isn't placement but lack of content specifically mixed for those 60° speakers. Do we know how Audyssey derives signals for those wide channels?

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #30033 of 72381 Old 08-25-2010, 01:09 PM
emf

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Denon mike seems to work with Onkyo

Looking forward to careful use of Audyssey, but for now a quick and dirty trial clearly integrates mains and a sub. The sub at my left elbow seems to sit there quietly, while in front black plastic Polks with 3.5" woofers seem to take credit for bass.

When I reach a hand to touch the cone, it's the sub; but the little guys seem to produce all sound including low bass. Other folks might say this is no big deal, but I never bothered to integrate speakers.

Previously I wanted dialog and I wanted explosions. Any reasonable 2.1 speaker system did exactly what I wanted for the enjoyment of movies. But I must say sound integration seems wonderful, although at first this seems fussy and redundant.
post #30034 of 72381 Old 08-25-2010, 01:33 PM
Wireless member

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by emf View Post

Denon mike seems to work with Onkyo

Looking forward to careful use of Audyssey, but for now a quick and dirty trial clearly integrates mains and a sub. The sub at my left elbow seems to sit there quietly, while in front black plastic Polks with 3.5" woofers seem to take credit for bass.

When I reach a hand to touch the cone, it's the sub; but the little guys seem to produce all sound including low bass. Other folks might say this is no big deal, but I never bothered to integrate speakers.

Previously I wanted dialog and I wanted explosions. Any reasonable 2.1 speaker system did exactly what I wanted for the enjoyment of movies. But I must say sound integration seems wonderful, although at first this seems fussy and redundant.

A wrong mic would probably "seem" to work, but that doesn't mean that it would work properly. On top of that, you likely would not know that it is not working properly. The corrections made would be based on an incorrect calibration file.

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- it's never done!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #30035 of 72381 Old 08-25-2010, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post

Do we know how Audyssey derives signals for those wide channels?

With a proprietary algorithm. But a lot of information is available about it in this thread and on the Audyssey web site by those willing to do a modicum of research.

Gary J

post #30036 of 72381 Old 08-25-2010, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1LL3M View Post

Or are we going to see a 32x upgrade to these units, now with 16k filters (32x512)

I know that the Sound Equalizer(SEQ)will not be upgraded to XT32.I've already asked.
post #30037 of 72381 Old 08-25-2010, 01:55 PM
Advanced Member

Hi pepar,

I don't have a link,but I sent an email to Audyssey when I heard about the XT32 and asked if it was going to be added to the SEQ and they said they had no plans to do so since it already had higher resolution than what is currently available in the AVR's.They did say though that it however is not as high as XT32,obviously.
post #30038 of 72381 Old 08-25-2010, 01:58 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenLansing View Post

Hi pepar,

I don't have a link,but I sent an email to Audyssey when I heard about the XT32 and asked if it was going to be added to the SEQ and they said they had no plans to do so since it already had higher resolution than what is currently available in the AVR's.They did say though that it however is not as high as XT32,obviously.

Here's what was posted here.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...6#post18906516

- it's never done!

post #30039 of 72381 Old 08-25-2010, 02:07 PM
Advanced Member

This is a copy of the email response they sent me:

Chris Kyriakakis, Aug 07 01:28 pm (PDT):

No plans to update the Sound EQ. It's already higher resolution than what you get in AVRs, but not as high as MultEQ XT32.

Best regards,
Chris Kyriakakis
CTO, Audyssey

It echoes what Chris said on the post you linked.As of now they have no plans,but demand for it may change that.
post #30040 of 72381 Old 08-25-2010, 02:09 PM
Advanced Member

I don't mean to put Chris on the spot or anything,just sharing what I was told that's all.
post #30041 of 72381 Old 08-25-2010, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghstudio View Post

Chris...Audyssey!!!

I have asked this before but there are so many posts in this forum, I have never seen the answer.

I have (or shortly will have) an Integra DHC-40.2 and a Sound Equalizer. What is the correct way to set them up.

1) setup the Sound Equalizer, then setup Audyssey in the 40.2 going thru the sound equalizer and use whatever distance/levels found by the 40.2 setup?

2) setup the sound equalizer, then setup the audyssey in the 40.2 so I can activate Dynamic EQ and volume but manually override the 40.2 eq to flat and use the distance/level settings from the Sound Equalizer Setup.

3)?????

if (2) is the answer, will dynamic volume/EQ work correctly?

This is really not an intended combination of Audyssey technologies... I would recommend #1 and Flat on the Sound Equalizer calibration.

Chris

Join me for Audyssey Tech Talk on Facebook
Follow me @ChrisAudyssey on Twitter
post #30042 of 72381 Old 08-25-2010, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

Will a software upgrade for the Pro kit be required to support this? If yes, will it be available at the same time the new AVR's are shipping, and will it be free for existing Pro users?

Hi Jerry,
Yes, a free software update (3.3) will be available to include the new MultEQ XT32 AVRs.

Chris

Join me for Audyssey Tech Talk on Facebook
Follow me @ChrisAudyssey on Twitter
post #30043 of 72381 Old 08-25-2010, 02:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

I have bi-polar towers (Def Techs) for fronts, surrounds, and surround backs. Assuming I have the space, are the bi-polar towers that I currently use as surround backs okay to use as wides instead? I didn't know if that was a no-no...

Never argue with an idiot; they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

post #30044 of 72381 Old 08-25-2010, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by counsil View Post

I have bi-polar towers (Def Techs) for fronts, surrounds, and surround backs. Assuming I have the space, are the bi-polar towers that I currently use as surround backs okay to use as wides instead? I didn't know if that was a no-no...

It would be interesting to see if you even hear a difference due to the already diffuse soundfield of bipolars.

Gary J

post #30045 of 72381 Old 08-25-2010, 02:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 1219
since you already have six tower speakers configured in a 7.1 setup, it should be very easy to move them around and try it out as a [5.1+wide] setup and test for yourself. Let us know the results!

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

post #30046 of 72381 Old 08-25-2010, 03:57 PM
TL5
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'll soon be buying either the Integra 80.1 or (more likely) 80.2 pre/pro. I have zero experience with Audyssey. I have more or less full range fronts (PSB Synchrony Ones) and like to listen to stereo music in "Pure" or "Direct" mode. But for movies I like the full 5.1 setup. Is it possible to have Audyssesy work like this? A seperate setup for stereo music with no sub and then the full 5.1 system?
post #30047 of 72381 Old 08-25-2010, 04:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 574 Post(s)
Liked: 1219
yes, most any competent receiver can do this. I know for a fact on any Denon beyond the entry-level model you can configure totally separate bass management settings for 2-ch listening, not sure how Onkyo/Integra does it.

When you engage "Pure / Direct" mode it will shut off any extra processing (like Audyssey) anyway.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ

post #30048 of 72381 Old 08-25-2010, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1LL3M View Post

I have a 4810 and I just purchased an EQ1 unit. I now am hoping to see an xt32 upgrade for the 4810 or the purchase of a new unit with the xt32. So for me, and I am sure many others, will the EQ1 be a pointless unit as soon as I/we have xt32 enabled AVRs. (ultimately it's all about me)

I'm in exactly the same boat, and I'm thinking that an XT32 unit will be an improvement over the EQ1. The reason is convenience. With the EQ1, you need to calibrate the subs first and then calibrate all the other speakers (including the sub again). With XT32, you will need to do the calibration only once.

I'm thinking that once an XT32 unit that is 11.1 capable comes along, it will be time to upgrade and sell off my 4810 and EQ1.

Mark

My Focal Utopia HT:
post #30049 of 72381 Old 08-25-2010, 05:02 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart88 View Post

I'm in exactly the same boat, and I'm thinking that an XT32 unit will be an improvement over the EQ1. The reason is convenience. With the EQ1, you need to calibrate the subs first and then calibrate all the other speakers (including the sub again). With XT32, you will need to do the calibration only once.

I'm thinking that once an XT32 unit that is 11.1 capable comes along, it will be time to upgrade and sell off my 4810 and EQ1.

Mark

Someone earlier posted that the coming of 32 meant inexpensive SubEQs and that seems to have been spot on. I'll probably be able to get that low end 2EQ and an AS-EQ1 for my bedroom system.

- it's never done!

post #30050 of 72381 Old 08-25-2010, 05:04 PM

I have limited options where I can put seating in my HT, and unfortunately, the place where the seats are is a dead space for certain low frequencies. (I forget what the actual range is.) I've put in acoustic paneling, moved my sub around to the optimal location (had a professional come out to help with that) but still, there are some frequencies that will simply not hit my seating area.

My question is that Audyssey seems to be trying to fill that hole by really ramping up the subwoofer - to the point where I think it's overdriving the sub. I've recently turned down the volume on the sub to make sure I don't damage it, but I'd like it to play all of the frequencies it can at the volume that it can, and have Audyssee not worry about the dead range. (Not sure if I'm explaining this well...)

Does anyone know if there's some way to get Audyssee to do this?
post #30051 of 72381 Old 08-25-2010, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Someone earlier posted that the coming of 32 meant inexpensive SubEQs and that seems to have been spot on. I'll probably be able to get that low end 2EQ and an AS-EQ1 for my bedroom system.

And then do those calibrations "only once".

Gary J

post #30052 of 72381 Old 08-25-2010, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
In reference xt32 only being in high end AVRs, it is most likely that the folks who would be purchasing these are also ones that would purchase xt32 enabled, high end, AVRs. Who would spend 200-500 on a new AVR and then 1K+ on the SubEQ box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart88 View Post

Mark

Good to know I'm not the only one and it is what I am thinking also (except that I have only just purchased the EQ1)

Audyssey, Why does it appear that a definitive answer to this question is being avoided? I get the fact that they still serve a purpose on other AVRs, that's been said, but it does not answer my specific question.

Is it;

1. You don't want to hurt current sales of these units by stating that they serve no purpose on new xt32 enabled AVRs; or
2. There is something in the works that can not be mentioned of even hinted at yet regarding the upgrade of these units (unlikely);or
3. You just don't know?

Apologies, but I fail to see how these can offer an advantage now in xt32 AVRs(it seems I have to keep stating this to avoid the circular response that not all AVRs have xt32, I know!).

My original question remains seeking an official comment that they are still better than an AVR with xt32 or they're not; justifying their (recent)cost or immediate return/sale.
post #30053 of 72381 Old 08-25-2010, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by dla26 View Post

there are some frequencies that will simply not hit my seating area.

My question is that Audyssey seems to be trying to fill that hole by really ramping up the subwoofer - to the point where I think it's overdriving the sub. I've recently turned down the volume on the sub to make sure I don't damage it, but I'd like it to play all of the frequencies it can at the volume that it can, and have Audyssey not worry about the dead range. (Not sure if I'm explaining this well...)

It appears your room has nulls in the seating area. So the subs might be working overtime for little benefit to you, yet rattling the pictures and the neighbors. There's nothing Audyssey or any EQ can do to fix these nulls. If moving the sub did not help, consider getting a second sub, and placing it elsewhere. That can work wonders. Then Audyssey can EQ them together.

Roger

post #30054 of 72381 Old 08-25-2010, 05:41 PM
Wireless member

Yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

And then do those calibrations "only once".

- it's never done!

post #30055 of 72381 Old 08-25-2010, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by dla26 View Post

I have limited options where I can put seating in my HT, and unfortunately, the place where the seats are is a dead space for certain low frequencies. (I forget what the actual range is.) I've put in acoustic paneling, moved my sub around to the optimal location (had a professional come out to help with that) but still, there are some frequencies that will simply not hit my seating area.

My question is that Audyssey seems to be trying to fill that hole by really ramping up the subwoofer - to the point where I think it's overdriving the sub. I've recently turned down the volume on the sub to make sure I don't damage it, but I'd like it to play all of the frequencies it can at the volume that it can, and have Audyssee not worry about the dead range. (Not sure if I'm explaining this well...)

Does anyone know if there's some way to get Audyssee to do this?

I'm sure I am more bothered by this than many, but given that the name of the company is everywhere on this thread, it seems to me if you want to be taken seriously you might spell it correctly.

After Audyssey does its EQ thing to the sub, it will indeed apply make up gain if needed to get the sub overall SPL back up to its appropriate level. Usually this bothers folks by causing the deepest bass to be loud enough to sound troubling. That may be what you are experiencing. What you are saying, literally, is that you want Audyssey to leave all the peaks in your sub's in room response and still give you flatter response. Can't have it both ways.

Can't comment on whether your overall levels are a problem, but I know in my room the new response took some getting used to and it turns out that some of what I thought was distortion was actually stuff in the room singing along with the sub. Obviously you don't want to harm your sub. Audyssey will not even try to bump up deep dips in response, but that does not mean you're not hearing what you say you're hearing as described above.

I'd suggest keeping overall levels in the safe zone and listening to the Audyssey-ized result for a while - - like a week. That way when you go back you will have a better idea of whether you're missing inaccuracies that you've gotte used to or whether you have some issue going on.

FWIW, in my room, with my sub and my ears, I end up running the sub a couple dB quieter than autosetup chooses, and I run dynamic eq, which of course pushes the bass back up as you turn down from reference. I'm not the only one who likes a result a little different from what autosetup gives, and it's probably preference. But it's my system, so I set it like I want it. I may have a different view one of these days when I have a better sub.
post #30056 of 72381 Old 08-25-2010, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHAz View Post

What you are saying, literally, is that you want Audyssey to leave all the peaks in your sub's in room response and still give you flatter response. Can't have it both ways.

IMHO, you can have it both ways, by running the AS-EQ1 calibration in Auto EQ Assist mode.

post #30057 of 72381 Old 08-25-2010, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Anyone ever used the Audyssey Pro mic and mic preamp with REW? If so, have you compared the results to any other mic/preamp combination to validate the results?

R 8:28

post #30058 of 72381 Old 08-25-2010, 07:16 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

Anyone ever used the Audyssey Pro mic and mic preamp with REW? If so, have you compared the results to any other mic/preamp combination to validate the results?

You would need to have the mic measured and a calibration file created to use it with REW.

- it's never done!

post #30059 of 72381 Old 08-25-2010, 07:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

since you already have six tower speakers configured in a 7.1 setup, it should be very easy to move them around and try it out as a [5.1+wide] setup and test for yourself. Let us know the results!

My Denon 3808 doesn't have DSX. I am contemplating getting the Denon 4311 not only for XT32, but DSX as well. I am just curious what ya'll thought would sound better overall... keeping my last 2 bi-polar towers as surround backs or using them as wides. I am leaning towards surround backs because the bi-polars already *fill* the front of the room... and the last thing I need is another 2 towers in my basement (hmmm... ).

Never argue with an idiot; they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

post #30060 of 72381 Old 08-25-2010, 07:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

It would be interesting to see if you even hear a difference due to the already diffuse soundfield of bipolars.

That's exactly what I am wondering... maybe I can resist getting the Denon 4311 afterall.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Receivers Amplifiers , Kef Kht1005 2se 5 1 Subwoofer Satellite System With C4 Subwoofer Gloss White , 5 6 7 1 7 2 Or 8 1 8 2 One Or Two Subwoofer Compatible 16 Banana Post 2 Rca Speaker Wall Plate For H
Gear in this thread - Kht1005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page