post #31561 of 71741 Old 09-25-2010, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotcheckBilly View Post

I believe that it uses DSP to optimize your listening experience. You use the WIDE setting when the listening angle from left to right speakers relative to your listening position is greater than 30 degrees, and the NARROW setting when the angle is less than 30 degrees. I think that it is intended to "widen" the soundstage when your speakers are placed closely together due to room constrictions.

AFAIK it's not an Audyssey function, but is included in one of the "Onkyo Original" DSP modes called "T-D" (Theater Dimensional).

Thanks Billy. You're correct but I should have made myself a bit clearer; this pertains to the Audyssey DSX WIDE/HEIGHT speakers and is only available if you have a DSX setup.

It's no biggie just thought that I'd throw it out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #31562 of 71741 Old 09-25-2010, 08:51 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Mark - Chris has already confirmed that receivers with XT 32 / SubEQ HT will ping the subs separately to set level/delay, and then EQ the summed response when going through the full Audyssey 8-position run. Just like with the default option for the SubEQ / AS-EQ1.

The text you quoted has to do with the pre-Audyssey sub setup, where the separate pinging sets level/distance. From what Chris has stated, after this step, when you proceed to the actual MultEQ run, it will ping the subs as a summed unit.

Jumping in here... Chris has also confirmed that anything with XT 32 also has Sub EQ HT even if the product literature - and manual - do not mention it.

Jeff
post #31563 of 71741 Old 09-25-2010, 09:48 AM

Liked: 10
Hi,
I have a Integra DHC-80.2 with XT32. When i run auto setup the first thing its want to do is to match the level of the sub to 75dB i do this by turning down the sub gain -7dB then its in level. But after running the 8 mesurments points the sub gets another -6.5db. Is this right?

I have done the firmware upgrade.
post #31564 of 71741 Old 09-25-2010, 10:26 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by meller127 View Post

Hi,
I have a Integra DHC-80.2 with XT32. When i run auto setup the first thing its want to do is to match the level of the sub to 75dB i do this by turning down the sub gain -7dB then its in level. But after running the 8 mesurments points the sub gets another -6.5db. Is this right?

I have done the firmware upgrade.

Are you asking if you change the sub's gain after setting up Audyssey?

Jeff
post #31565 of 71741 Old 09-25-2010, 10:42 AM

No not after, first thing that comes up when you run audyssey is a sub level calibration screen. Its like an spl meter, i then lower the sub by -7db to match 75db. Then after alla 8 points is done audyssey sets the sub to -6.5db, wasent the sub in level at the first point? Hard to explain.
post #31566 of 71741 Old 09-25-2010, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murphy View Post

Thanks Billy. You're correct but I should have made myself a bit clearer; this pertains to the Audyssey DSX WIDE/HEIGHT speakers and is only available if you have a DSX setup.

Hi Patrick,
This is simply a way to change the level of the Wide (or Height if you have them) speakers in Audyssey DSX. You can turn them up or down to match your own preference. It's the same thing as changing the individual trim controls for those speakers, but it changes them together.

Chris

Join me for Audyssey Tech Talk on Facebook here.
Follow me @ChrisAudyssey on Twitter here.
post #31567 of 71741 Old 09-25-2010, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audyssey View Post

Hi Patrick,
This is simply a way to change the level of the Wide (or Height if you have them) speakers in Audyssey DSX. You can turn them up or down to match your own preference. It's the same thing as changing the individual trim controls for those speakers, but it changes them together.

Thanks Chris.
post #31568 of 71741 Old 09-25-2010, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No not after, first thing that comes up when you run audyssey is a sub level calibration screen. Its like an spl meter, i then lower the sub by -7db to match 75db. Then after alla 8 points is done audyssey sets the sub to -6.5db, wasent the sub in level at the first point? Hard to explain.

The first part uses pink noise to bring the sub level roughly within the range of level adjustment that the AVR allows. After that, MultEQ measures your sub and sets the level more precisely by analyzing the frequency response. There may be additional cut required when MultEQ sees your sub because of a big peak in the response. This may not show up the same way in the first step that uses pink noise only. The MultEQ setting is the most important. The first SPL measurement is only a rough setting.

Chris

post #31569 of 71741 Old 09-25-2010, 11:12 AM

Okay thanks, its sounding fantastic right now. Can i adjust the trim level for the sub channel without mess everything up?. Need to crank it really loud before the nice bass punches sets in.
post #31570 of 71741 Old 09-25-2010, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Okay thanks, its sounding fantastic right now. Can i adjust the trim level for the sub channel without mess everything up?. Need to crank it really loud before the nice bass punches sets in.

If you do, do it in the receiver. You shouldn't touch the gain control on the sub. I think I remember reading that you shouldn't go higher than 3db from where it's now set.
post #31571 of 71741 Old 09-25-2010, 01:27 PM
Wireless member

One last Audyssey/CEDIA update..

Integra never calibrated XT 32 due to show floor noise levels. Yesterday, after being impressed with Harman's demo, we visited the THX demo with Procella Sound speakers. It was head and shoulders above Harman's and with only treatments and no room correction. Nicely balanced, great imaging and also great surround envelopment with dual monopole surrounds. I did see later that they were using the Bassis system on the sub's.

Today we worked our way around the floor and visited Wisdom Audio. As much as we liked the THX/Procella demo over the Harman, by that same amount we preferred Wisdom's over the THX. It was one of the most amazing theaters I have ever heard. They had a room no less cheesy than some of the others we heard, and they had virtually no treatments. But what they did have was ribbon mids and highs .. and Audyssey set up. We asked them how they managed to do the calibration and they pointed out that they were in the amen corner where the noise levels were much lower. They also said that they would do Audyssey calibrations at 2AM if they had to. I fart in Integra's general direction for not doing the same thing.

All three of the sequentially best sounding demos were with nose-bleed expensive gear, but the Wisdom with Audyssey and no treatments beat the Procella THX-certified theater with a professionally designed treatment package and no room correction hands down, which in turn had beaten hands down the sparsely treated, but room-corrected JBL system.

Denon/Marantz/McIntosh had no demos set up, just a lot of purty equipment. Denon did not have their flagship pre/pro on display ... something about a refresh to be shown ... SHOWN, not demoed .. at CES in January. They said it would have HDMI 1.4a, but had no idea if it would have XT 32.

Anyone in the market for an XT 32 pre/pro will need to look at Onkyo's 5508 and Integra's DHC-80.2. Anyone wanting to Pro calibrate their system will need to scratch the Onk off the list.

Jeff
post #31572 of 71741 Old 09-25-2010, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Does anyone know what the WIDE adjustment does in the Onkyo "Audio Adjust" menu.
It has a range from -10 to +2. Does it actually widen/narrow the perception of the speakers or is it like a volume control. I've messed around with it many times and can't really tell any great difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

Is it in an Audyssey menu?

Quote:

Yes, it is. It's in the menu with Dynamic Eq-Volume-Reference offset.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by audyssey View Post

Hi Patrick,

Hi Guys,

I've been reading the Onkyo PR-SC5508 manual. Are you refering to the Audyssey DSX Soundstage setting? If so, the settings are only -3dB to Reference to +3dB.

If you are referring to the Audyssey Dynamic EQ® Reference Level Offset, that has nothing to do with DSX, and the available settings are 0dB, 5dB, 10dB and 15dB.

Larry
post #31573 of 71741 Old 09-25-2010, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Today we worked our way around the floor and visited Wisdom Audio. As much as we liked the THX/Procella demo over the Harman, by that same amount we preferred Wisdom's over the THX. It was one of the most amazing theaters I have ever heard. They had a room no less cheesy than some of the others we heard, and they had virtually no treatments. But what they did have was ribbon mids and highs .. and Audyssey set up.

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the observations.

Your remarks are consistent with a review of a collection of Wisdoms in the current issue of Home Theater Magazine. The 5.1 review system listed for $88,500. That price doesn't include the necessary preamplifier and the required professional installation.

If I were to hit the lottery, this would definately be the system I would be getting.

But of course I'd have to wait for Wisdom to upgrade their controller to accommodate Heights, Wides and MultEQ XT 32. So for a 11.1 configuration that would require an additional $66,000 for speakers and $13,500 for the Wisdom amplifiers.

Larry
post #31574 of 71741 Old 09-25-2010, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I'll take two of everything!
post #31575 of 71741 Old 09-25-2010, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

I'll take two of everything!

Hi Gary,

Yeah!

You know now that I think of it the review's speakers were rated for more that 1,000 watts per channel, but they only used a mere 500 watts per channel, at $4,500 per 2-channel amplifier. So yeah we need to at least double the amplification.

Larry
post #31576 of 71741 Old 09-25-2010, 03:30 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin View Post

If I were to hit the lottery, this would definately be the system I would be getting.

Larry

I have two lottery tickets waiting for me in my car at the airport. Hey, it could happen!

I certainly would not use Outlaws to power them, but I think the speakers are the main reason for the stunning sound.

Jeff
post #31577 of 71741 Old 09-25-2010, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi Guys,

I've been reading the Onkyo PR-SC5508 manual. Are you refering to the Audyssey DSX Soundstage setting? If so, the settings are only -3dB to Reference to +3dB.

If you are referring to the Audyssey Dynamic EQ® Reference Level Offset, that has nothing to do with DSX, and the available settings are 0dB, 5dB, 10dB and 15dB.

Larry

From the SR707 manual;

Stage Width -10 to +2 (default: 0)
Adjusts the width of the soundstage when using Audyssey Dynamic Surround Expansion.
Note:
If the Center and Front Wide settings are set to None (page 80), this setting cannot be selected.

I think that Chris nailed it as just a volume control.
post #31578 of 71741 Old 09-25-2010, 06:54 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

From the SR707 manual;

Adjusts the width of the soundstage when using Audyssey Dynamic Surround Expansion.
Note:
If the Center and Front Wide settings are set to None (page 80), this setting cannot be selected.

I think that Chris nailed it as just a volume control.

Sure, raising or lowering the Wides in relation to the left and right would be perceived as widening or narrowing the width of the soundstage.

Jeff
post #31579 of 71741 Old 09-25-2010, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Sure, raising or lowering the Wides in relation to the left and right would be perceived as widening or narrowing the width of the soundstage.

Jeff

" raising or lowering " are you implying this is a gain control?

Al
post #31580 of 71741 Old 09-25-2010, 08:00 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Sherwood View Post

" raising or lowering " are you implying this is a gain control?

I was replying to Patrick Murphy who referred to Chris saying that it was a volume control. So, yeah but it's more like "stating."
post #31581 of 71741 Old 09-25-2010, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Chris,

Isn't it somewhat unusual for an Audyssey feature to have such varying settings between two models of the same manufacturer?

From the Onkyo PR-SC5508 manual:

Quote:

Audyssey DSX
■Soundstage
>-3dB to Reference to +3dB
With this setting, you can adjust the soundstage when using Audyssey DSX.

From the Onkyo TX-SR707 manual:

Quote:

On the SR707 are the settings in dB? If so, would a -10 dB setting essentially turn off DSX?

Thanks.

Larry
post #31582 of 71741 Old 09-26-2010, 03:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

One last Audyssey/CEDIA update..

Integra never calibrated XT 32 due to show floor noise levels. Yesterday, after being impressed with Harman's demo, we visited the THX demo with Procella Sound speakers. It was head and shoulders above Harman's and with only treatments and no room correction. Nicely balanced, great imaging and also great surround envelopment with dual monopole surrounds. I did see later that they were using the Bassis system on the sub's.

Jeff

For those people that aren't familiar with the Bassis EQ,

It's A fully adjustable (LT) Linkwitz Transform that in basic terms
provides the possibility for A Sealed Alignment such as A Large Xmax Sub woofer to extend its freq response 1-2 octaves lower including changing the Q of the Subwoofer(s) (Subwoofer Damping) IE:0.7 maximally flat response or .5 absolutly no ringing for ultra tight punchy bass...

FWIW I recently Built A customised version of the dual channel Marchand Bassis for my 2x21" & 2x18" subs which I designed to run with an LT..
With this combination inc Audyssey Sub EQ & Audyssey Pro I am getting absolutely stunning results/ flat Bass response down into the single digits with huge SPL/Head room..

Cheers..
post #31583 of 71741 Old 09-26-2010, 06:13 AM
Wireless member

Hi Larry,

As you know the different licensees have widely varying implementations of Audyssey's tech. It might come down to resources, i.e. CPU and memory. Some drop Audyssey room correction at higher sampling rates of the lossless codecs with one dropping it at a fairly common rate. Some allow switching to Flat with a toggle while on others a clumsy and undesirable workaround is needed. Some allow storing different measurement data. I'm sure there others and I'd put this in the same category.

Jeff
post #31584 of 71741 Old 09-26-2010, 06:17 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

Hi Chris,

Isn't it somewhat unusual for an Audyssey feature to have such varying settings between two models of the same manufacturer?

On the SR707 are the settings in dB? If so, would a -10 dB setting essentially turn off DSX?

Thanks.

Larry

While there are show hours today, Audyssey doesn't have a booth and could very well be traveling today. I think they have a launch party in SoMa for the dock this week.

Jeff
post #31585 of 71741 Old 09-26-2010, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Chris,

Hi Larry,
It's not really an Audyssey feature. It's a simple level control that provides the convenience of turning up (or down) the level of the DSX speakers in unison. The range depends on the gain structure of each product and the available headroom so it's not that unusual to see a difference between two products.

Quote:

Yes, they are in dB.

Chris

post #31586 of 71741 Old 09-26-2010, 07:28 AM

I'm new to this whole Audessy thing, if I wanted to move to an 11.x set up do I have to use timbre matched speakers? Do they have to be the same as my LCRs? Ive got a 7.1 paradigm ref set up and they are not selling that version anymore, I can't really afford or find four Studio 20s v2.

Mirkwood 4.0 Equipment List

Mirkwood Home Theater
This is my very, very outdated website.
post #31587 of 71741 Old 09-26-2010, 07:41 AM

I was told in no uncertain terms that I would be fined $1 per infraction if I did not spell Audyssey correctly. So hurry up and edit your spelling before Chris sees your post!!!
post #31588 of 71741 Old 09-26-2010, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I was replying to Patrick Murphy who referred to Chris saying that it was a volume control. So, yeah but it's more like "stating."

Gotcha! So for my Onkyo NR3007 (from the manual):

Quote:

Soundstage –3dB, –2dB, –1dB, Reference (default), +1dB, +2dB, +3dB
Adjusts the soundstage when using Audyssey Dynamic Surround Expansion™.

So if I am running front wides this increases the apparent width, and if I am running heights, the height of the front sound stage?

Al
post #31589 of 71741 Old 09-26-2010, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james138 View Post

I'm new to this whole Audessy thing, if I wanted to move to an 11.x set up do I have to use timbre matched speakers? Do they have to be the same as my LCRs? Ive got a 7.1 paradigm ref set up and they are not selling that version anymore, I can't really afford or find four Studio 20s v2.

The prevalent thinking is that a speaker from the same "family" will suffice.

Chris explains it here; http://ask.audyssey.com/entries/98040-speakers-for-dsx
post #31590 of 71741 Old 09-26-2010, 10:12 AM

Thanks!

Mirkwood 4.0 Equipment List

Mirkwood Home Theater
This is my very, very outdated website.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Receivers Amplifiers , Kef Kht1005 2se 5 1 Subwoofer Satellite System With C4 Subwoofer Gloss White , 5 6 7 1 7 2 Or 8 1 8 2 One Or Two Subwoofer Compatible 16 Banana Post 2 Rca Speaker Wall Plate For H
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page