Wireless member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by facepalm View Post

hello

i would like some advice on how to config my setup.

denon 1910
4 x tannoy f1 custom
1 x tannoy fc
velodyne impact 10 sub

what crossovers should i set? i like big and accurate bass.

Run Audyssey setup and all that stuff will be detected. You will have an opportunity to change it if something is wrong. But most times, it is right.

You should read the setup guide linked, among other places, in my sig if this is your first experience with Audyssey.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32762 of 71753 Old 11-08-2010, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post
..., let me ask what MV level you end up listening to this material at, for each respective offset?
Hi SoM,

Chris said in an earlier post that avrs without the feature of ref. level offset can get to the same result like this:

"In all one can turn down the digital input level of the source and then turn up the master volume by the same amount."

But on my 2310 I found I do not need to readjust the MV once an offset value was chosen. I remember something to this regard was also explained by Chris, but can't find the relevant post at the moment.

So, in order to answer your question, I have the same phenomenon at any MV level after selecting an offset value apart from 0 dB, i.e. while without offset the system sounds excellent, but when I set the offset values the system starts to behave like a band pass filter, cuts treble and bass.

Or to put it another way, I have no boominess for music contents without applying an offset value and highs also sound pretty good, so that's why after a lot of experimenting I decided to leave the ref. level offset at 0 dB even for music cds.

Strange, I know. Maybe too strange!
post #32763 of 71753 Old 11-08-2010, 01:48 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post

Hi SoM,

Chris said in an earlier post that avrs without the feature of ref. level offset can get to the same result like this:

"In all one can turn down the digital input level of the source

I don't know of any sources that have a control for that ....

Jeff
post #32764 of 71753 Old 11-08-2010, 02:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So if I had a tweeter out that could be a cause of it not detecting a speaker even though sound is coming out? Im not sure how I would even blow one as I dont have that much power going to it maybe 200 watts max and they are supposed to be heavy duty speakers. That would explain why the L and R have a higher ping sound to them.
post #32765 of 71753 Old 11-08-2010, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

I don't know of any sources that have a control for that ....

Jeff

It's the input level on the AVR that can be adjusted for each source connected.

Chris

Join me for Audyssey Tech Talk on Facebook here.
Follow me @ChrisAudyssey on Twitter here.
post #32766 of 71753 Old 11-08-2010, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post

I may have missed it, but is there a bullet list of the updated features (besides new AVRs) for the Pro version 3.4 update?

The only one I've seen is the support for new AVRs (including those with MultEQ XT32). I think that's all.

Mark
post #32767 of 71753 Old 11-08-2010, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by facepalm View Post

hello i would like some advice on how to config my setup...

Hey back and welcome. Start by reading the Audyssey setup guide, run autosetup and then come back with the results and any specific questions. In the event those speakers are assigned a xover less than 80, raise it to 80. If it's over 80, leave it alone.

oops, didn't see Jeff already answered you.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #32768 of 71753 Old 11-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audyssey View Post

It's the input level on the AVR that can be adjusted for each source connected.

Ah, so it wasn't Feri's phrasing. It was my comprehension.
post #32769 of 71753 Old 11-08-2010, 04:44 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Hi. I think you're on the right track. But that Onkyo has only 2EQ, so try to find an AVR in that price range with MultEQ which also filters the sub channel, and has the full suite with DynEQ/Vol. I suggest a Denon 1610/11 or 1910/11, as I am not familiar with other OEMs' exact models.

Here's the basic idea. Old school: the better the room, the speakers, the amp, the placement of the speakers, the source, etc., etc., the better the sound. New school: all that's still true, but with all those things being equal, adding Audyssey makes it better. A good AVR like one of those I suggested in your price range and a good audio source is just the ticket. It will help your speakers sound considerably better and those superzeroes really aren't bad especially for being so small. So get your new AVR and see how good the SQ is. As to sources, you will be pleased with the audio on "HD"sources such as OTA, Dish, cable or HTPC, DVD and Blu-Ray, all are way better than the SD you've been listening to.

thanks SOM
this was a great help and I'll check out the denons as the old 2500 stood me in good stead all these years. Thanks again Chidave
post #32770 of 71753 Old 11-08-2010, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post

...But on my 2310 I found I do not need to readjust the MV once an offset value was chosen...Strange, I know. Maybe too strange!

Feri, lets go through step by step A/B/C with DynEQ on and listening to a CD of reasonably well recorded music like my favorite benchmark jazzrockrhythmandbluesfusion, Steely Dan's Aja album, which has tight punchy kickdrum and bass and some nice highs on cymbals horns and lead guitar.

A= Input level trim at default 0, listening comfortably at say -30dB MV, and your SPL meter approximately confirms that level objectively. It sounds good but in some people's system the bass may be overbearing and kinda boomy.

B=Now go into menu and turn the input level down by 15 dB. Now it still sounds pretty full and balanced but is a whole lot quieter, really more like soft background music. And the SPL meter confirms it, yes? So this brings us to...

C=Now crank MV up to -15d. It should sound about the same overall volume as A and the meter should confirm. But it may not have as prominent bass and treble as A because DynEQ thinks you are closer to reference=0 than you really are so is not boosting as much. For many folks, including Goldilocks, this is just right.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #32771 of 71753 Old 11-08-2010, 05:16 PM
Wireless member

Chris, what is your advice on moving from Pro 3.3 to 3.4 to calibrate "legacy" devices?

Jeff
post #32772 of 71753 Old 11-08-2010, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Chris, what is your advice on moving from Pro 3.3 to 3.4 to calibrate "legacy" devices?

Jeff

No need. v. 3.4 was created to support MultEQ XT32 and the new devices shipping now. No changes to MultEQ XT were made.

Chris

post #32773 of 71753 Old 11-08-2010, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Am I blind? I can't seem to find the link to Pro on the Audyssey site.
post #32774 of 71753 Old 11-08-2010, 07:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

Am I blind? I can't seem to find the link to Pro on the Audyssey site.

http://www.audyssey.com/installers/i...erprogram.html

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #32775 of 71753 Old 11-08-2010, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKVALLEJOS View Post

So if I had a tweeter out that could be a cause of it not detecting a speaker even though sound is coming out? Im not sure how I would even blow one as I dont have that much power going to it maybe 200 watts max and they are supposed to be heavy duty speakers. That would explain why the L and R have a higher ping sound to them.

rick,
why don't you try swapping one of the speakers that Audyssey does detect with the CC and see if that speaker is detected and then you'll know where your problem is.
post #32776 of 71753 Old 11-08-2010, 09:06 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICKVALLEJOS View Post

Sound coming out is not the goal. All of the sound coming out is. Like Patrick suggests, swap the center with one of the other fronts and see if the problem "follows" the center speaker.

Jeff
post #32777 of 71753 Old 11-09-2010, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Feri, lets go through step by step A/B/C with DynEQ on and listening to a CD of reasonably well recorded music like my favorite benchmark jazzrockrhythmandbluesfusion, Steely Dan's Aja album, which has tight punchy kickdrum and bass and some nice highs on cymbals horns and lead guitar.

A= Input level trim at default 0, listening comfortably at say -30dB MV, and your SPL meter approximately confirms that level objectively. It sounds good but in some people's system the bass may be overbearing and kinda boomy.

B=Now go into menu and turn the input level down by 15 dB. Now it still sounds pretty full and balanced but is a whole lot quieter, really more like soft background music. And the SPL meter confirms it, yes? So this brings us to...

C=Now crank MV up to -15d. It should sound about the same overall volume as A and the meter should confirm. But it may not have as prominent bass and treble as A because DynEQ thinks you are closer to reference=0 than you really are so is not boosting as much. For many folks, including Goldilocks, this is just right.

Thanks SoM for your guidance. I did the test as you suggested and the result was what I expected, music became a bit less lively in the high and low departments. Nonetheless, for music I'll change the ref. level offset on the Denon from 0 dB to +10 dB and will listen to it for a couple of days to see what is "just right". Thanks again.
post #32778 of 71753 Old 11-09-2010, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ah, so it wasn't Feri's phrasing. It was my comprehension.

Hey Jeff, what is "Feri's phrasing" ? A new comprehension? Where's me hat?
post #32779 of 71753 Old 11-09-2010, 03:01 PM

Hello,
I have a Denon AVR2809CI and Marantz MM9000. I use the Marantz for the FL -C -FR and the AVR for the surrounds. My speaker setup is an oldie but a goody the Monitor Audio Full metal theater with the smaller single woofer floor standing fronts. The Monitor’s Sub finally gave out me a few months ago so I picked up a new LMF-1 EX last weekend and after calibration I'm really happy to have bass back in my music but with movies I just have not been able to get it right.

At various times during movies (does not seem to be in evidence on music blu-rays) the most recent was Jonah Hex I get boomy or how do I explain it… almost LFM level sound during dialog or just when it should not be there. For example you would expect this level of sound when someone heavy was walking across the floor on a sound track but not when someone with a deep voice is talking. I did not do the “place the sub in the listening position” exercise but other than that followed the Setup Guides directions. The sub is placed to the left of my LF and at least 5” from the wall.

I have been reading about the new SUB EQs that are out but was hoping you guys could give me some tips or tricks to try to tame the bass before I buy any more electronics. Also it’s a Living room theater so wall treatments are not really an option.
My name is Sean and I live in the San Jose area
Thanks for you time.
post #32780 of 71753 Old 11-09-2010, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 84
Post all after-calibration settings - trims, distances, crossovers, etc.
post #32781 of 71753 Old 11-09-2010, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veger69 View Post

Hello,
I have a Denon AVR2309CI and Marantz MM9000. I use the Marantz for the FL -C -FR and the AVR for the surrounds.

Hi Sean,
I wasn't sure from your post if you have actually used the Audyssey MultEQ calibration available in the AVR2309.

Chris

post #32782 of 71753 Old 11-09-2010, 04:37 PM

Yes I did utilizing the calibration software and the guide to using it provided here. It may be that it’s a source dependant problem as I did not notice it on every movie.

A couple of things though that I was a little unclear on,
At what point do you want to change the xovers manualy? After the first Mic position reading and store, or after all 8 readings? My FL, C, FR, were all set at 40 by Audyssey so I was going to adjust them to 80.

This probably will not affect the bass but I had a surround kick back a phase warning so I checked it and it looked like it was wired correct. I switched it just to see if it would get rid of the warning and it did. What is the correct action if you are sure it is wired correctly? I think I left it reversed for the calibration will I need to re-calibrate?
post #32783 of 71753 Old 11-09-2010, 05:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by audyssey

No need. v. 3.4 was created to support MultEQ XT32 and the new devices shipping now. No changes to MultEQ XT were made.
Sorry for another "version" question.
How about moving from Pro v 3.2 to 3.4.
In this case for a Denon 5308CI.

Thanks,

Mike
post #32784 of 71753 Old 11-09-2010, 07:19 PM

oh one correction I have the AVR-2809ci

Ok here are settings and some pics of the final EQ
channel levels
FR -3.5
FL "
C "
SW -7.0
SL -7.0
SR -9.0

X OVER
FR, C , FL 40
SR 250
want to set FR,C,FL 80 and SW at 120 per guide

DISTANCE
FR 10.0
FL 10.0
C 9.8
SW 12.3 (this seems incorrect should be 10.1 front edge to 11 center of sub)
SL 3.9
SR 5.1
LL
LL
LL
post #32785 of 71753 Old 11-09-2010, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

On Saturday, I did the Audyssey Pro calibration on my Denon 4311 with MultEQ XT32, and I've since listened to all types of material including a number of SACDs (Diana Krall being a fav), Alison Krauss concert DVD, Eagles concert DVD, and then movies from the subtle Pride & Prejudice to the slam-bang of Live Free Die Hard. I've spent a lot of time tweaking my room with treatments and using a BDF equalizer to tame the sub, but the Audyssey Pro has really done a better job with the integration of the sub into the mains while maintaining the deep impact of LFE effects.

Detail, directionality, and the coherence of the surround field has never been better. On Live Free Die Hard, I previously found the drive-the-car-into-the-helicopter scene to be cacophonous, but after the Audyssey Pro calibration, this scene became a symphony of crashing cars, whirling helicopter blades, and blazing machine guns – each sound clear and distinct and building on each other to create an enveloping and completely engaging sonic environment.

I continue to be surprised that I can now listen at almost reference levels without annoyance or fatigue.

I couldn’t go back. Thanks Chris.

ISF Certified
post #32786 of 71753 Old 11-10-2010, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI View Post

Sorry for another "version" question.
How about moving from Pro v 3.2 to 3.4.
In this case for a Denon 5308CI.

Thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike,
No difference for you. Just adding more supported models.

Chris

post #32787 of 71753 Old 11-10-2010, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

A couple of things though that I was a little unclear on,
At what point do you want to change the xovers manualy? After the first Mic position reading and store, or after all 8 readings? My FL, C, FR, were all set at 40 by Audyssey so I was going to adjust them to 80.

You should only change them after the calibration is finished and stored.

Quote:

This probably will not affect the bass but I had a surround kick back a phase warning so I checked it and it looked like it was wired correct. I switched it just to see if it would get rid of the warning and it did. What is the correct action if you are sure it is wired correctly? I think I left it reversed for the calibration will I need to re-calibrate?

If you checked the wiring on both ends (amp and speaker) then just hit Skip and proceed. No need to recalibrate if you already switched it.

Chris

post #32788 of 71753 Old 11-10-2010, 04:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 84
Quote:

SW 12.3 (this seems incorrect should be 10.1 front edge to 11 center of sub)

As the Guide says "Distance measurements are really time measurements".
post #32789 of 71753 Old 11-10-2010, 06:38 AM

Hello and gd day everyone,

I own a Denon 2310 about one year and been reading audyssey setup and other related stuff for sometime. Thus, I hope someone can help me answer all my doubts once and for all

1st - my HT setup ( i stay in an apartment thus i cant go for floorstander )

5 B&W M1 (2 surround are wall mount)
Velodyne CHT-8Q
Denon 2310

as my Velodyne was purchased recently thus I re-run audyssey last night.

1st run
R & L = -4.0db
C = - 6.0db
SR & SL = -3.5db
sub = -12db (fail) (vol at 50%, Crossover freq 80HZ)

All the speakers size are set to small - right
Front spks Crossover at 90HZ
Center at 80Hz
surround at 80Hz

2nd run

I push the sub away from the wall, lower the vol to 1/3 of the sub 30 out of 80 max vol and crossover at 100Hz

The rest of the speaker i got almost the same result.
sub = -10db

freq and crossover = same

all the speaker distance and sub distance are correct.

Question:
a) is -10db for sub too soft? or its about right?
b) My understanding of audyssey reference lvl might be wrong - but is it better to get all the speaker lvl close to 0 db as possible?
c) now i find my center a bit too soft - can i pump up the vol without destroying the audyssey setting?
d) my M1 sub comes with a soft cone that can be install into the speaker rear - will it improve the performances?
e) for movie - in order to catch all the little detail of sound i need to set the MV to -15db - is this too high?

thanks you
post #32790 of 71753 Old 11-10-2010, 06:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Audyssey made version 3.4 of Audyssey Pro available late last week, which includes support for the 80.2 via Integra Interface 2 and a network connection to the PC running the Pro software. Unfortunately, the 80.2 will not yet support Pro in Integra's current 10/27/10 firmware release. I have been in contact with both Audyssey and Integra Tech Support about it, and, apparently, I am the first to attempt a Pro calibration of the 80.2.

Audyssey Support was, as always, helpful and on target. Integra Support is brusque, unenthusiastic and misinformed, apparently also as always. After initial attempts to blame Audyssey, an Integra engineer said it should work with the latest firmware. I have informed them that is not the case, having tried it to no avail and getting a message from Pro saying that the Integra firmware does not support Pro. Audyssey says the Integra firmware update should be out within 1 to 2 weeks. Integra, at this point, has no clue, but I tend to believe Audyssey.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Receivers Amplifiers , Kef Kht1005 2se 5 1 Subwoofer Satellite System With C4 Subwoofer Gloss White , 5 6 7 1 7 2 Or 8 1 8 2 One Or Two Subwoofer Compatible 16 Banana Post 2 Rca Speaker Wall Plate For H
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page