Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

http://www.audyssey.com/products/?cat_filter=38

Hi Chris,

Your Audyssey products web page may have some errors.

The Onkyo PR-SC5508 preamplifier has MultEQ XT32, but it is not listed on the web page. It does show it having Sub EQ HT.

The Integra DHC-80.2, which is virtually identical to the 5508, does not list the Sub EQ HT feature.

Larry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2011, 04:35 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpotcheckBilly View Post

Does an AVR that's equipped with MultEQ XT, like an Integra DTR-80.1 for example, also have the Sub EQ HT feature?

The answer is no. Gear with "less" than MultEQ XT 32 could have Sub EQ HT technically-speaking, but they don't. And I seriously doubt that it will be added retrospectively to anything.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin View Post

Hi Chris,

Your Audyssey products web page may have some errors.

Thanks Larry,
I have pointed these out to the web team and they will get to them next week.

Chris

Join me for Audyssey Tech Talk on Facebook here.
Follow me @ChrisAudyssey on Twitter here.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSlow View Post

This Chris guy must have the patience of Job!

Job, hah! Try teaching undergraduates for one semester. Then you'll know what patience really means

Chris

Old 01-01-2011, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

All devices that have MultEQ XT32 happen to also have Sub EQ HT.

Correct. But Sub EQ HT doesn't require XT32. It can work with any version of MultEQ should a licensee decide to use it. Hint, hint...

Quote:

If you have a Sub EQ HT device and two subwoofers the issue of manually adjusting the phase between the subwoofers is irrelevant because Audyssey sets the timing individually and by correctly adjusting the timing by definition it sets the subwoofers in phase.

True, sort of. Phase is a misused term because phase actually depends on frequency. Aligns the subwoofers "in time" is a better way to describe what's going on.

Quote:

If you do not have a Sub EQ HT and have two or more identical subwoofers you can get them in phase at the primary listening location by locating them the same distance from the first measurement location.

Yes you can get them "in time" by doing what you said.

Quote:

If you do not have Sub EQ HT and have two or more subwoofers that can't be located the same distance from the first measurement location, then it may be beneficial to either manually change the Audyssey established distance or adjust the phase controls on the subwoofers. However, these approaches would require using measurement software to provide visibility of the effects of altering the distance or phase and through trial and error to find values that yield the flattest pre-Audyssey calibration frequency response. Then run the version of MultEQ that you have to further adjust the combined response.

Agreed.

Quote:

If you have MultEQ Pro it will adjust the phase relationship between the subwoofer and the satellites to yield the smoothest response near the recommended crossover frequency.

It will adjust the time relationship.

Chris

Old 01-01-2011, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post

I'd like to add a question to Larry's: why is there a need to "phase-align" subwoofers? It has been shown that adding delays (subwoofer to mains and/or subwoofer to subwoofer in a multiple subwoofer setup) can considerably improve the in-room frequency response at the listening position(s).

Agreed. Phase align is a tricky term. An allpass filter that aligns group delay may be useful, but honestly I'm not even sure what "phase align" means.

Chris

Old 01-01-2011, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

Now what is the deal with this Audyssey MultEQ XT Pro vs Audyssey MultEQ XT 32? I keep seeing this "I'm gonna wait until 32 arrives before I buy" in some other threads.

This will be my 1st AV pre/amp so I really don't know much about it, thanks.

I am looking at the Marantz AV7005 and it has the XT I believe.

Proud owner of a Pioneer E-Lite 50" with ISF-Day/Night enabled!!
Old 01-01-2011, 11:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

The answer is no. Gear with "less" than MultEQ XT 32 could have Sub EQ HT technically-speaking, but they don't. And I seriously doubt that it will be added retrospectively to anything.

Chris, is this true? And if Jeff is correct I feel that I have been wronged!

This has been very confusing and I've had a difficult time getting to the truth of the matter

As much as I love the Audyssey capability on my Integra DTR-80.1 I'm disappointed that it doesn't have the Sub EQ HT function -

ESPECIALLY SINCE THE AUDYSSEY PRODUCTS PAGE SPECIFICALLY STATES THAT THIS FEATURE IS INCLUDED IN THIS PARTICULAR AVR!

I did my best to perform what might be referred to as "due diligence" when researching my purchase and finally relied on the Audyssey Products Page as the ultimate authority on which Audyssey features were included on the various brands and models of components that feature Audyssey Room Correction.

NOW I FIND OUT THAT I SPENT MY MONEY FOR SOMETHING THAT I WAS LED TO BELIEVE I WOULD GET BUT WAS SHORTCHANGED!

At this point it appears to me that the mistake lies at Audyssey's feet. Now the question remains - is Audyssey going to take ownership of it and do the right thing?

What say you, Chris?

A disillusioned Audyssey fan,
SB
Old 01-01-2011, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Chris, is this true?

No. As I have said several times Sub EQ HT has nothing to do with XT 32. In fact, it appeared in earlier models including yours but did not receive any marketing mention. Have you used Audyssey on your Integra? I'm surprised that you didn't notice the Sub EQ HT functionality of pinging each sub separately and then together as one.

Chris

Old 01-02-2011, 12:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by audyssey View Post

No. As I have said several times Sub EQ HT has nothing to do with XT 32. In fact, it appeared in earlier models including yours but did not receive any marketing mention. Have you used Audyssey on your Integra? I'm surprised that you didn't notice the Sub EQ HT functionality of pinging each sub separately and then together as one.

Chris,

I'm glad to hear that my 80.1 is equipped with Sub EQ HT and apologize for getting overly excited after reading Jeff's response to my question.

To say that I'm relieved would be an understatement!

I very recently installed a second Velodyne sub and re-did the Audyssey setup with this change. I distinctly remember noticing both subs pinging separately. I heard them and also watched it happen on the GUI. However, I don't remember the Audyssey setup pinging both subs together as one before finishing the setup, calculating and then storing it. And that's what got me thinking. Perhaps I didn't notice it pinging both subs together and I'm just overthinking the whole thing.

Would it be correct for me to ASS-U-ME (I hate that word) that because Audyssey did, in fact, ping both subs separately and then continued to successfully complete the installation that it MUST have pinged both subs together at the end and I should stop worrying about it? I have no complaints with the SQ and I'm really not looking for any problems, just wanted to make sure that Audyssey's doing what it's supposed to do.

Thanks for your patience,
SB
Old 01-02-2011, 03:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 923 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Agreed. Phase align is a tricky term. An allpass filter that aligns group delay may be useful, but honestly I'm not even sure what "phase align" means.
So Sub EQ HT tries to determine the delay from sub A and sub B to the main listening location and aligns their delays so they are virtually equidistant to the mains?

Have you ever tried to vary subwoofer delays to reduce seat-to-seat variations? Others report great success in doing so.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
Old 01-02-2011, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
I think they should give a few of us here on the thread the capability of editing their website. You and me, at least. Maybe Markus, too.
Quote:
But who will edit the editors???
Old 01-02-2011, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I have the Integra DHC 80.2 and a Definitive Technology Trinity subwoofer. In the THX settings of the 80.2 it asks whether the sub is THX certified. The Trinity does not identify itself as THX certified but according to the specs it goes down to 16Hz. Should I be choosing the THX "Yes" box for this sub in the THX set-up menu of the 80.2 when I run Audyssey? Does it even matter what setting this is on when running Audyssey? Right now I do have it checked yes, but have to also set the Gain to "on" after running Audyssey because it just sounds too boomy.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post
I have the Integra DHC 80.2 and a Definitive Technology Trinity subwoofer. In the THX settings of the 80.2 it asks whether the sub is THX certified. The Trinity does not identify itself as THX certified but according to the specs it goes down to 16Hz. Should I be choosing the THX "Yes" box for this sub in the THX set-up menu of the 80.2 when I run Audyssey? Does it even matter what setting this is on when running Audyssey? Right now I do have it checked yes, but have to also set the Gain to "on" after running Audyssey because it just sounds too boomy.
Hi,

If you are referring to Boundary Gain Compensation, these remarks from Chris may be relevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamelover360 View Post
Can someone please enlighten me.....

On my Integra 9.9 there is a setting in the menu called "THX subwoofer"...YES or NO. If Yes is selected then it offers another option for BGC. I have no interest in BGC, however...I have heard that selecting yes to "THX subwoofer" tells the Integra that your subs are flat to 20hz...and then it somehow treats the sub signal different than if you selected NO.

I had THX subwoofer set to NO before I ran Ausyssey. Is this telling the Integra to limit my sub output down low? Should I turn it on, then re run Audyssey? I know that Audyssey ignores setting when a calibration is run, but maybe this is a setting that Audyssey cannot ignore. Any thoughts?
Quote:
BGC is a good idea, but I think it's not needed when you are actually measuring the sub in your room. It's a fixed solution to a problem that varies depending on the exact distance of the sub from the walls and floor. So, I guess it doesn't really matter if you have it on or off. MultEQ will measure through it either way and make the needed adjustments.
I don't know what the THX Subwoofer setting Yes or No actually does. I think it simply enables the BGC control that is only available if you have a THX sub.
Larry
Old 01-02-2011, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
. I distinctly remember noticing both subs pinging separately. I heard them and also watched it happen on the GUI. However, I don't remember the Audyssey setup pinging both subs together...
It should happen on the first round of chirps. It pings each sub separately and calculates distance and level for each, then it continues by pinging them together to calculate the room correction filter.

Chris

Old 01-02-2011, 09:09 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Summing up, that was set the sub to yes for THX and turn "GAIN" off.

IIRC, a THX sub is flat in room to 20Hz and is able to play 105dB. Here is a reference - http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-ent...fied-speakers/

Of course, the bigger the room the more "sub" is needed to produce the SPL.

Jeff
Old 01-02-2011, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Right now I do have it checked yes, but have to also set the Gain to "on" after running Audyssey because it just sounds too boomy.

Quote:

Summing up, that was set the sub to yes for THX and turn "GAIN" off.

IIRC, a THX sub is flat in room to 20Hz and is able to play 105dB. Here is a reference - http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-ent...fied-speakers/

Of course, the bigger the room the more "sub" is needed to produce the SPL.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Of course our references haven't helped answer the original poster's main complaint that Audyssey calibration sounds too boomy to him, and BGC applied after calibration seems to help.

Larry
Old 01-02-2011, 09:47 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang View Post

But who will edit the editors???

Julian Assange?
Old 01-02-2011, 09:51 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

Hi Jeff,

Of course our references haven't helped answer the original poster's main complaint that Audyssey calibration sounds too boomy to him, and BGC applied after calibration seems to help.

Larry

True, Larry, but it would probably be better to investigate his boomy complaint than to apply a one-size-fits-all solution after the Audyssey calibration.

Jeff
Old 01-02-2011, 10:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Jeff and Larry thanks for your replies!
Old 01-02-2011, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:

Julian Assange?

His ability to delete is questionable, and his insertions are alleged dangerous.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

True, Larry, but it would probably be better to investigate his boomy complaint than to apply a one-size-fits-all solution after the Audyssey calibration.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

That was my point.

Perhaps if bslep further describes his setup and locations of his subwoofer, mains, etc., the folks here might be able to provide some suggestions to obviate the need for BGC.

Larry
Old 01-02-2011, 12:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:

It would be very helpful if you could absolutely verify that your front tweeters are working. Considering that the curves for the Back Surrounds look normal, I would greatly appreciate it if you could check your front tweeters. I am forwarding all this data to Denon so collecting all this info will be of great help. Do you have a test CD with content above 2 kHz?

Thanks,

Chris,

Tweeters are ok
LL
LL
LL
Old 01-02-2011, 12:16 PM

I have a PA-120 sub and the crossover dial on the back goes from 40Hz to 200Hz. So, before I perform the Audyssey 2EQ calibration I should set the dial to max: 200Hz? And for my receiver's "LPF of LFE" setting it should be set to 120Hz?

After calibration is done should I leave them both at that?

I already did the calibration once but had my sub set to 120Hz on accident, because I confused it with something else (AVR's "LPF of LFE"), so I am trying to get clarification here. Thanks

i like ducks.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubix View Post

I have a PA-120 sub and the crossover dial on the back goes from 40Hz to 200Hz. So, before I perform the Audyssey 2EQ calibration I should set the dial to max: 200Hz? And for my receiver's "LPF of LFE" setting it should be set to 120Hz?

After calibration is done should I leave them both at that?

I already did the calibration once but had my sub set to 120Hz on accident, because I confused it with something else (AVR's "LPF of LFE"), so I am trying to get clarification here. Thanks

You are correct on all counts.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubix View Post

I have a PA-120 sub and the crossover dial on the back goes from 40Hz to 200Hz.

One more thing-if your sub has a LFE unfiltered or filter bypass input (some way to bypass or to turn the filter off completely), use it so the dial has no effect. If it was in effect you will off course need to repeat the autosetup once you have set the sub correctly.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post

Now what is the deal with this Audyssey MultEQ XT Pro vs Audyssey MultEQ XT 32? I keep seeing this "I'm gonna wait until 32 arrives before I buy" in some other threads.

This will be my 1st AV pre/amp so I really don't know much about it, thanks.

I am looking at the Marantz AV7005 and it has the XT I believe.

Anyone?

Proud owner of a Pioneer E-Lite 50" with ISF-Day/Night enabled!!
Old 01-02-2011, 04:30 PM
Wireless member

Have you looked at Audyssey's website and read about the different "flavors" of their room correction technology?
Old 01-02-2011, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post

Anyone?

1. MultEQ XT32 increases resolution by 32x over MultEQ XT (resolutions). Read the announcement here: http://www.twice.com/article/455011-...hp?rssid=20310, or the Audyssey write-up here: http://www.audyssey.com/technology/multeq.html

2. MultEQ XT32 also includes Sub EQ HT, which allows the distances for two subs to be set independently, and then calibrated as one.

These two features makes XT32 a significant improvement over the previous XT technology.

Edit: Sorry, Pepar, answering at the same time....
Old 01-02-2011, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

1. MultEQ XT32 increases resolution by 500x over MultEQ XT.

Really? Wow!

Tags
Audyssey , Receivers Amplifiers , Kef Kht1005 2se 5 1 Subwoofer Satellite System With C4 Subwoofer Gloss White , 5 6 7 1 7 2 Or 8 1 8 2 One Or Two Subwoofer Compatible 16 Banana Post 2 Rca Speaker Wall Plate For H
Gear in this thread - Kht1005 by PriceGrabber.com