post #36931 of 71856 Old 02-24-2011, 08:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post

I have no doubt about that

Is this an invitation? You're talking about the Wilson's, right?

Yes, the Wilson's. Sure! Come on by and bring some or your favorite music!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #36932 of 71856 Old 02-24-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post

This question comes up quite often it seems...
I'll add that Onkyo allows adjusting treble/bass "on top" of all Audyssey technologies: MultEQ XT, Dynamic EQ, Dynamic Volume (and I assume DSX as well which I don't personally use).
You can adjust (-10 dB to +10 dB in 2 dB steps) Treble and Bass for all speakers as well as the Bass for the subwoofer(s) for all listening modes except when the Direct, Pure Audio or any THX listening mode is selected.
If Preserve THX Settings is set to No, you can do it for all THX listening modes as well so it is basically for all listening modes which can use Audyssey.

Hi rickardl. Can I adjust bass for only an individual input w/the 876 when using Audyssey Dy. EQ while leaving all the other inputs as they were set by Audyssey? I've read the manual and can't seem to find the answer...

Bob

Bob
post #36933 of 71856 Old 02-24-2011, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by scraps@midnight View Post

Yes, the Wilson's. Sure! Come on by and bring some or your favorite music!

Where do you live? Can I bring my measuring equipment too?

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #36934 of 71856 Old 02-24-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:

Where do you live? Can I bring my measuring equipment too?

Ohio. Measuring gear welcome but I may drag you in to working on Audyssey setup. You also need to be capable of dealing with my wife walking by and shaking her head in disgust from time to time.
post #36935 of 71856 Old 02-24-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoKo2001 View Post

After having calibrated a lot of home cinema theatres, we can easily see the following needs:

1) Always use all (8) positions.

2) Be accurate with the first position, as this MUST be dead on center (sweet spot). The very first position sets the standard for the whole calibration - especially the speaker distances.

3) Don't place the microphone outside the area you plan to use. This will only make the sound worse. It's better to keep the covered area as small as possible, and also the exact same distance to left & right from sweet spot.

4) Get rid of pillows, tables and furniture between the microphone and the speakers before calibrating. If those are corrected for, they only tend to do more damage to the sound than if they are introduced (again) after the calibration.

5) Almost all receivers on the market will give too little information through the sub/LFE channel. We tend to put on 6-10dB before it "sounds right".

Is this correct? I was told in a previous post by Markus (sorry, I am unable to locate the post) that the room should be set up like it is when you are listening to music prior to running Audyssey...if I remove the coffee tables/pillows, etc. and run Audyssey, won't there be a significant change in the room acoustics when I place the furniture back in the listening area? I've been running Audyssey with all the furniture in place.

Bob

Bob
post #36936 of 71856 Old 02-24-2011, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:

Not really. We sit long ways on the couch's leaning against the back side cushion. I suppose if we sat on the couch normally vs laying long ways then yes, you would have to turn your head to the display.

If you are sitting on couches along the side walls no amount of room correction is going to help much if at all.
post #36937 of 71856 Old 02-24-2011, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ohio. Measuring gear welcome but I may drag you in to working on Audyssey setup. You also need to be capable of dealing with my wife walking by and shaking her head in disgust from time to time.

Oh, Ohio. I currently live in Switzerland and will only make it to NY within the next few months.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #36938 of 71856 Old 02-24-2011, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by perritterd View Post

Hi rickardl. Can I adjust bass for only an individual input w/the 876 when using Audyssey Dy. EQ while leaving all the other inputs as they were set by Audyssey? I've read the manual and can't seem to find the answer...

Bob

Nope, they are global adjustments across all inputs.
post #36939 of 71856 Old 02-24-2011, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

if I remove the coffee tables/pillows, etc. and run Audyssey, won't there be a significant change in the room acoustics when I place the furniture back in the listening area?

Yes, there can be a significant change. By the way, there shouldn't be any objects between and around speakers and listener. Not while measuring nor while listening. This is one of the more important requirements for accurate sound reproduction.

Markus

post #36940 of 71856 Old 02-24-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

If you are sitting on couches along the side walls no amount of room correction is going to help much if at all.

They are actually 3.5' off the side walls and a little over 3' from the center of the room...roughly.
post #36941 of 71856 Old 02-24-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:

Yes, there can be a significant change. By the way, there shouldn't be any objects between and around speakers and listener. Not while measuring nor while listening. This is one of the more important requirements for accurate sound reproduction.

Markus, thanks for responding. So, you are saying that I should remove all the room coffee tables, foot stools, etc before running Aud.? I'll do it and rerun Aud., but if there is "significant change", then what am I accomplishing?

Bob.

Edit: I see that you are saying to leave the furniture out when listening!!

Bob
post #36942 of 71856 Old 02-24-2011, 10:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 1250
Quote:

No, I don't need to listen to them. Have you seen this? Looks like an accident to me. Other speakers perform much better, even a cheap Behringer. You can even keep your children

Stereophile's conclusion was "I felt these Wilsons produced the best sound overall that I have experienced in Michael's room".

Kind Regards,

Keith
post #36943 of 71856 Old 02-24-2011, 10:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That latter is the only measuring gear I have! The more shakes, the closer I am getting to where I am trying to be

Kind Regards,

Keith
post #36944 of 71856 Old 02-24-2011, 10:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Is this correct? I was told in a previous post by Markus (sorry, I am unable to locate the post) that the room should be set up like it is when you are listening to music prior to running Audyssey...if I remove the coffee tables/pillows, etc. and run Audyssey, won't there be a significant change in the room acoustics when I place the furniture back in the listening area? I've been running Audyssey with all the furniture in place.

Bob

Chris K's advice, in one of the Q&As on the Audyssey site IIRC, was to leave all the things that are in the room when you are listening, in the room when you are measuring. But to make sure nothing is in between the mic and the speakers - eg your body or something.

Kind Regards,

Keith
post #36945 of 71856 Old 02-24-2011, 10:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Hey guys,

Does anyone know if I buy a used Pro Kit that doesn't come w/ the software if I can just download that from Audyssey or do I have to pay for the software? I know I have to buy a license for my receiver and I believe it's $150 right? Is there any other charge? If so, how much?

I know we're not supposed to talk prices, but I don't "think" that applies to this kind of thing. If it does, I'd appreciate a PM w/ the info.

Thanks!

--J

Thanks to EVERYONE that Helps Make These Threads so Awesome!

post #36946 of 71856 Old 02-24-2011, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Chris K's advice, in one of the Q&As on the Audyssey site IIRC, was to leave all the things that are in the room when you are listening, in the room when you are measuring. But to make sure nothing is in between the mic and the speakers - eg your body or something.

Kind Regards,

Keith

Thanks Keith. That was what I had thought was the recommended procedure...there is nothing blocking the sound from the speaker to the mic. as my speakers are on stands, but I do have coffee tables midway below/between the speakers/mic. Hope this won't be a problem!

Thanks,

Bob.

Bob
post #36947 of 71856 Old 02-24-2011, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Stereophile's conclusion was "I felt these Wilsons produced the best sound overall that I have experienced in Michael's room".

Kind Regards,

Keith

He probably leaves himself a backdoor. Which and how many different speakers did he "experience in Michael's room"?
By the way, I would never choose subjective descriptions over objective measurements when it comes to a technical device.

Markus

post #36948 of 71856 Old 02-24-2011, 12:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks Keith. That was what I had thought was the recommended procedure...there is nothing blocking the sound from the speaker to the mic. as my speakers are on stands, but I do have coffee tables midway below/between the speakers/mic. Hope this won't be a problem!

Thanks,

Bob.

If they are going to be there when you are listening, it makes sense to me at least to have them there when measuring. I think what the other poster (from Norway) was suggesting is that introducing the coffee table *after* measuring has been done has a less worse effect on the sound than measuring with the coffee table in place. I wouldn't know - maybe it's one for Chris?

Kind Regards,

Keith
post #36949 of 71856 Old 02-24-2011, 12:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

He probably leaves himself a backdoor. Which and how many different speakers did he "experience in Michael's room"?
By the way, I would never choose subjective descriptions over objective measurements when it comes to a technical device.

I agree with measuring things. IMO if it measures well it should sound good. This is true of amps and wires and so on for sure. There is no reason, scientifically or following the laws of physics that a $1,000 cable and a $100 cable or a $10 dollar cable for that matter, will 'sound' different if they measure the same. But only speakers interract with their environment and, ultimately, with human ears and I wonder if this makes a difference. I don't know. That's why with stuff like amps I am very happy to buy purely off specs, but with speakers I would, ideally, always want to listen to them, ideally in my home, before coming to a conclusion, regardless of what a set of lab results tell me.

Kind Regards,

Keith
post #36950 of 71856 Old 02-24-2011, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
with speakers I would, ideally, always want to listen to them, ideally in my home, before coming to a conclusion, regardless of what a set of lab results tell me.
Without any useful specs I wouldn't know if the speaker could work in my room or not. Why are there only very few manufacturers showing that kind of data? Guess marketing works better without showing the rather boring and ugly truth.

Markus

post #36951 of 71856 Old 02-24-2011, 01:50 PM
Wireless member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 131
If you are referring to polar response data, then my observation is that only the nosebleed companies provide that, and then nowhere near all of them.
post #36952 of 71856 Old 02-24-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701

If they are going to be there when you are listening, it makes sense to me at least to have them there when measuring. I think what the other poster (from Norway) was suggesting is that introducing the coffee table *after* measuring has been done has a less worse effect on the sound than measuring with the coffee table in place. I wouldn't know - maybe it's one for Chris?

Kind Regards,

Keith
Well, why not try it for yourself - both these ways?
Then you can tell us what differences you experience!

Why be theoretical when you easily can make up your own opinion - based on your own results?
post #36953 of 71856 Old 02-24-2011, 02:18 PM
Wireless member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:

Why be theoretical when you easily can make up your own opinion - based on your own results?
Not sure any negative effects of sound bouncing off a coffee table and going to the measurement mic and causing cancellations with the direct sound would be noticeable right off. And it would probably require just the right source material to expose it if it was there. To me, it seems easier to benefit from the experience of the founder and CTO and avoid the situation entirely.

Jeff
post #36954 of 71856 Old 02-24-2011, 02:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I think this was meant for perritterd (Bob) not me. I don't even own a coffee table!

Kind Regards,

Keith
post #36955 of 71856 Old 02-24-2011, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 752
Quote:
I think this was meant for perritterd (Bob) not me. I don't even own a coffee table!

Kind Regards,

Keith
Soo where does your coffee go ? OH right yer English U got a TeaTable

Mike

JAZZ IS NOT DEAD IT JUST SMELLS FUNNY ; FRANK ZAPPA
post #36956 of 71856 Old 02-24-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701

Kind Regards,

Keith
What's the problem? - he'll for sure read it anyway... ;-)
post #36957 of 71856 Old 02-24-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Not sure any negative effects of sound bouncing off a coffee table and going to the measurement mic and causing cancellations with the direct sound would be noticeable right off. And it would probably require just the right source material to expose it if it was there. To me, it seems easier to benefit from the experience of the founder and CTO and avoid the situation entirely.

Jeff

Oh yeah, right... easier...

You just read on - and please do not try anything on your own...!
It's obviously "easier" to rely on someone else.
post #36958 of 71856 Old 02-24-2011, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Oh yeah, right... easier...

You just read on - and please do not try anything on your own...!
It's obviously "easier" to rely on someone else.
Nobody seems as interested in the results as you. Maybe you should do it.
post #36959 of 71856 Old 02-24-2011, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
Nobody seems as interested in the results as you. Maybe you should do it.
I really would have thought that it should be quite obvious (hence my earlier post) that we have done so - many times.
post #36960 of 71856 Old 02-24-2011, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevansoh View Post

Hey guys,

Does anyone know if I buy a used Pro Kit that doesn't come w/ the software if I can just download that from Audyssey or do I have to pay for the software? I know I have to buy a license for my receiver and I believe it's $150 right? Is there any other charge? If so, how much?

I know we're not supposed to talk prices, but I don't "think" that applies to this kind of thing. If it does, I'd appreciate a PM w/ the info.

Thanks!

--J

You would also have to buy the V3 software that supports the latest receivers.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Receivers Amplifiers , Kef Kht1005 2se 5 1 Subwoofer Satellite System With C4 Subwoofer Gloss White , 5 6 7 1 7 2 Or 8 1 8 2 One Or Two Subwoofer Compatible 16 Banana Post 2 Rca Speaker Wall Plate For H
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page