post #46171 of 72394 Old 12-02-2011, 09:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

As it is intended, with the following stipulation/clarification.
The offset does not "lessen" the effect, it changes the point at which it is neutral and applies no loudness compensation. At 10dB below (or above) reference, the frequency response changes are the same whether the offset is zero or some other number (that has moved the reference).

Jeff

I assure you it lessens the effect. At -30db, the diff between standard and -15 offset is staggering. If what you're saying is true, because it's above the offset, at -30db it shouldn't matter what the offset is....but it absolutely does. At least I think that's what you're saying?

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #46172 of 72394 Old 12-02-2011, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:

I think we are saying the same thing? The offset ... offsets the point at which DEQ is "neutral." If not, then what's the point?

exactly. I musta misunderstood you.

To elaborate for the original questioner. You offest because you find that DEQ adds too much bass when you have the volume at, say, -20. If you're listening to recent pop/rock/rap, your average level at -20 is probably around 85 dB.

You reduce the input level by 15 dB. Now, to get your average in room level to 90 dB, you need to put the volume control at -5 instead of -20. With the MV at -5, DEQ adds less bass, because it sees you as being closer to reference levels. If it corrected for the -15 on the input, it would treat -15 on the volume control as if it were -30, and apply exactly the same bass correction that it does at -30 without the offset. So, no, DEQ does not and cannot look at the input offsets as changing the reference point. To DEQ, reference is still 0 on the master volume, and you (and I) have "tricked" the system into applying less correction by setting our systems so that we have to turn the MV up higher, thus calling for less correction.
post #46173 of 72394 Old 12-02-2011, 09:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHAz View Post

exactly. I musta misunderstood you.

To elaborate for the original questioner. You offest because you find that DEQ adds too much bass when you have the volume at, say, -20. If you're listening to recent pop/rock/rap, your average level at -20 is probably around 85 dB.

You reduce the input level by 15 dB. Now, to get your average in room level to 90 dB, you need to put the volume control at -5 instead of -20. With the MV at -5, DEQ adds less bass, because it sees you as being closer to reference levels. If it corrected for the -15 on the input, it would treat -15 on the volume control as if it were -30, and apply exactly the same bass correction that it does at -30 without the offset. So, no, DEQ does not and cannot look at the input offsets as changing the reference point. To DEQ, reference is still 0 on the master volume, and you (and I) have "tricked" the system into applying less correction by setting our systems so that we have to turn the MV up higher, thus calling for less correction.

So, the offset just lowers the volume, forcing you to turn it up, and since you're now closer to the reference point, it applies less correction?

post #46174 of 72394 Old 12-02-2011, 09:58 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1474 Post(s)
Liked: 1716
[quote=wilbur_the_goose;21290049]Hi - question on my Mirage BPS-150 subwoofer.
Which sub input should I use - normal subwoofer, or external xover - with my Audyssey-enabled Denon AVR-4311? Thanks!

Instruction manual says:
Using the Subwoofer Output of an A/V Receiver or Processor
This method uses a single RCA-to-RCA interconnect cable to connect the SUBWOOFER
OUTPUTjack from your A/V receiver or processor to the SUBINPUTon
the rear panel of the subwoofer. This method does not remove low frequencies from
your main speakers,and they will continue to reproduce bass frequencies.

^ This one. Bass to the main speakers is controlled by the AVR's selected crossover point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #46175 of 72394 Old 12-02-2011, 10:00 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

I assure you it lessens the effect. At -30db, the diff between standard and -15 offset is staggering. If what you're saying is true, because it's above the offset, at -30db it shouldn't matter what the offset is....but it absolutely does. At least I think that's what you're saying?

Yeah, I guess ... sorta.

With a 15dB offset, the changes in the target curve are the same at +15dB as they are at 0dB without the offset.

edit: in re-reading the posts, I like JHAz explanation better than mine. Bottom line - set it to wherever it sounds best to you!!

- it's never done!

post #46176 of 72394 Old 12-02-2011, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1474 Post(s)
Liked: 1716
Quote:

So, the offset just lowers the volume, forcing you to turn it up, and since you're now closer to the reference point, it applies less correction?

I think your questions are answered here:

http://ask.audyssey.com/entries/7328...eference-level

If you have an Onkyo, the point Chris makes about Intellivolume might be useful to you.

post #46177 of 72394 Old 12-02-2011, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yeah, I guess ... sorta.

With a 15dB offset, the changes in the target curve are the same at +15dB as they are at 0dB without the offset.

So with an offset of -15, when I have the MV at:

-25, it applies the corrections that it would at -10 without the offset.

-15, it applies the corrections that it would at 0 (ref) without the offset.

-5, it applies the corrections that it would at +10 without the offset.

Correct?

post #46178 of 72394 Old 12-02-2011, 10:28 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

So with an offset of -15, when I have the MV at:

-25, it applies the corrections that it would at -10 without the offset.

-15, it applies the corrections that it would at 0 (ref) without the offset.

-5, it applies the corrections that it would at +10 without the offset.

Correct?

Yes, that's how the effect is "lessened."

- it's never done!

post #46179 of 72394 Old 12-02-2011, 10:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yes, that's how the effect is "lessened."

K, good to know. Kind of annoyed it works that way, but I can always just turn it off when I go over the offset. Thanks!

post #46180 of 72394 Old 12-02-2011, 10:33 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

K, good to know. Kind of annoyed it works that way, but I can always just turn it off when I go over the offset. Thanks!

I mainly watch movies in my theater, but when I do listen to music, I turn it off if I don't like how it makes a particular album sound. That happens rarely though.... I mostly listen loud.

- it's never done!

post #46181 of 72394 Old 12-02-2011, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I mainly watch movies in my theater, but when I do listen to music, I turn it off if I don't like how it makes a particular album sound. That happens rarely though.... I mostly listen loud.

Yeah, same. Ive been gaming late at night recently and I needed some sort of dynamic range compression. Dyn volume is all I have, and that requires DEQ. But it compensates just way, way too much. A quiet voice shouldn't have that much bass. It just doesnt sound right to me. But I like the effect to some degree when it's not so overbearing, and I'm relatively happy with the way it sounds when it's offset by 15db.

I still hope one day audyssey will create a DEQ/DV that is configurable to a wider range of needs and not so dogmatic about reference and how it's "supposed to sound", so I don't have to jump through all these hoops to get it to sound how I want it to.

post #46182 of 72394 Old 12-02-2011, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, same. Ive been gaming late at night recently and I needed some sort of dynamic range compression. Dyn volume is all I have, and that requires DEQ. But it compensates just way, way too much. A quiet voice shouldn't have that much bass. It just doesnt sound right to me. But I like the effect to some degree when it's not so overbearing, and I'm relatively happy with the way it sounds when it's offset by 15db.

I still hope one day audyssey will create a DEQ/DV that is configurable to a wider range of needs and not so dogmatic about reference and how it's "supposed to sound", so I don't have to jump through all these hoops to get it to sound how I want it to.

I don't game, but I offset my music sources for the same reason. I can't recall exactly where I ended up, but in general, my offset is "more than enough" for my typical listening material, because ultimately I'd rather have DEQ undercorrect rather than overcorrect, if it's going to be (technically) "wrong."
post #46183 of 72394 Old 12-02-2011, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I don't game, but I offset my music sources for the same reason. I can't recall exactly where I ended up, but in general, my offset is "more than enough" for my typical listening material, because ultimately I'd rather have DEQ undercorrect rather than overcorrect, if it's going to be (technically) "wrong."

Yep. But with the way the offset apparently works, over the offset, it's not undercorrecting, it's miscorrecting - assuming youre intentionally setting the offset higher because you want less correction. That's just...bleh.

post #46184 of 72394 Old 12-02-2011, 11:28 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

Yep. But with the way the offset apparently works, over the offset, it's not undercorrecting, it's miscorrecting - assuming youre intentionally setting the offset higher because you want less correction. That's just...bleh.

It is designed for movies where there is a standard. It can be made useful for music. It cannot be made useful for gaming! IMO.

I would use headphones before using DEQ/DV on games.

Jeff

- it's never done!

post #46185 of 72394 Old 12-02-2011, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It is designed for movies where there is a standard. It can be made useful for music. It cannot be made useful for gaming! IMO.

I would use headphones before using DEQ/DV on games.

Jeff

+1. I am quite happy with what DEQ does with movies, which are mixed to aknown standard, so that if you set your system to reference level, every sound you hear is the same volume the mixers and director heard when they finalized the mix for the movie. (I should mention that until a not-so-recent room rearrangement, I found I needed to pull my sub down a couple of dB from where Audyssey set it. Something about room interaction/my particular sensitivities or something. But I ran DEQ exactly the same after that correction).

Music is mixed to no set level, so nobody knows whether or how much to correct for different volume levels. One thing is clear, though: with the possible exception of some classical, music's effective reference level is significantly lower (ie the sound is, on average, "louder" on a music CD than a movie). BUt the psychoacoustic phenomena are exactly the same. If I listen quieter than the mixing/mastering engineer did, I hear less bass and a little less treble than they heard and intended. Using the movie reference level grossly overcorrects for these phenomena, because music is not mixed that quietly, on average. By using an offset, I can get the benefit of a fuller sounding frequency response, with an EQ shape that is based on real perceptual differences, rather than just a boost in the low end. By setting my system so that, if it errs, it is on the side of undercorrecting, I never am bothered by bloaty sounding bass.
post #46186 of 72394 Old 12-02-2011, 11:45 AM
Wireless member

While music is not mixed to a standard from album to album, the songs within an album tend to have the same baseline which usually allows a single offset to "work." Game audio is created on-the-fly with no consistency.

- it's never done!

post #46187 of 72394 Old 12-02-2011, 11:50 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

While music is not mixed to a standard from album to album, the songs within an album tend to have the same baseline which usually allows a single offset to "work." Game audio is created on-the-fly with no consistency.

The same principle of hearing less low and high frequencies at lower volumes still applies though. Most games are self consistent, there's just quite a bit of variation game to game. Some have a ton of dynamic range, some have very little. Some are ear bleedingly loud at -15, some you can play comfortably at 0.

So forget about perfection, but you can at least see some improvement at low volumes with a little loudness compensation. I'm especially not crazy about the surround boost, but at -30 with a 15db offset, it's tolerable.

Anything less than that it gets a little out of control, but if I have to dip any lower than -30, I'm putting headphones on.

post #46188 of 72394 Old 12-02-2011, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The same principle of hearing less low and high frequencies at lower volumes still applies though. Most games are self consistent, there's just quite a bit of variation game to game. Some have a ton of dynamic range, some have very little. Some are ear bleedingly loud at -15, some you can play comfortably at 0.

So forget about perfection, but you can at least see some improvement at low volumes with a little loudness compensation. I'm especially not crazy about the surround boost, but at -30 with a 15db offset, it's tolerable.

Anything less than that it gets a little out of control, but if I have to dip any lower than -30, I'm putting headphones on.

ALthough I don't game, I do note that the disappointment with the DEQ surround boost, in the gaming context, is nearly universal among those who do. BUt it works great in other contexts, IME. Such is life
post #46189 of 72394 Old 12-02-2011, 11:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

ALthough I don't game, I do note that the disappointment with the DEQ surround boost, in the gaming context, is nearly universal among those who do. BUt it works great in other contexts, IME. Such is life

Yep. I've been begging them to change this for years, to just allow us the option to not to mess with the surround balance. Doesn't seem like its going to happen.

post #46190 of 72394 Old 12-02-2011, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Hi.

After doing a calibration with Denon A100, using 32 positions, we ended up with these graphs from Audyssey.

What is your experience regarding WYSIWYG from Audyssey?

post #46191 of 72394 Old 12-02-2011, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flageborg View Post

Hi.

After doing a calibration with Denon A100, using 32 positions, we ended up with these graphs from Audyssey.

Fantastic, congratulations!! (WYSIWYG = what you see is what you get!)

Any narratives you might wanna share? Room, speakers, sub(s), layout, ...anything? BTW, who is "we"?

Cheers, Feri

post #46192 of 72394 Old 12-02-2011, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 273
Quote:

Hi.

The After graph is just a prediction by Audyssey on what the FR will look like with MultEQ applied. If you really want to know what the Frequency Response is like at the Main Listening Position, you'll have to invest in some form of audio measurement tool like a mic and soundcard package to use with REW or a pre-bundled software + hardware package like Omnimic or XTZ.

Max
post #46193 of 72394 Old 12-02-2011, 01:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post

Fantastic, congratulations!! (WYSIWYG = what you see is what you get!)

Any narratives you might wanna share? Room, speakers, sub(s), layout, ...anything? BTW, who is "we"?

Thank you! another question is DWGWWS?

Speakers...Sonus Faber Elipsa

post #46194 of 72394 Old 12-02-2011, 02:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

The After graph is just a prediction by Audyssey on what the FR will look like with MultEQ applied.

What is your experience regarding Audysseys "prediction"?

Close to WYSIWYG(real life)?

post #46195 of 72394 Old 12-02-2011, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh no.... we have another Keith on our hands...

Flageborg, what, pray tell, is DWGWWS supposed to mean? Oh and BTW, those are some magnificent looking speakers. What are they?

Max
post #46196 of 72394 Old 12-02-2011, 02:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Have you done the usual elimination tests? Have you swapped the right and left speakers to see if the hiss follows the speaker or stays where it is? if it follows the speaker then you have a problem with the speaker. If it stays where it is then you need to investigate further. Is the hiss volume-dependent or does it sound the same regardless of your volume setting? Does the hiss go away if you disable Audyssey in the AVR? (I assume so as that will also disable Dynamic EQ). If you switch to a THX mode (and have your AVR set up to respect THX settings) this will disable Dynamic EQ - does the hiss go away then? What happens if you temporarily relocate the left speaker to its former position and then re-tun Audyssey? Does the hiss then go away and put you back to where you were before?

Incidentally, if your surrounds are so far away that you can move one five feet closer to the MLP, then you have a non-standard speaker layout there and it's unlikely you will be getting a good integration of the front and surround speakers. Surrounds should be at 90 to 110 degrees from the horizontal when you are sitting in the MLP. But that's another issue -let's try to sort out the hiss first

I swapped the speaker for a spare one I had -- same result. I also switched the wires with the left surround, and the hiss followed. So it is not the wiring.

If I disable Audyssey the hiss goes away. Also, if I enable Audyssey and just disable Dynamic EQ it also goes away. I do not have a THX mode, so I was unable to test that.

If I move the left surround back to it's original position, it will now be sitting on top of the middle of two bookcases -- I figured that probably would not be optimal for sound. And getting rid of the new, second bookcase is not an option -- too heavy.

My wife and kids were out this morning so I reran the speaker setup again. I made progress -- in a frustrating way. Now I only get the hiss from the right surround on the BD input that my PS3 is plugged into. I do not get it from the SAT/CABL input that my UVERSE box is plugged into. So maybe it's an issue with the BD input or the PS3?

As for my speaker set up, yeah, it's probably not the ideal setup. But I'm limited by layout -- and it was a small victory to just get speakers up in the new house with the wife.
post #46197 of 72394 Old 12-02-2011, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

Flageborg, what, pray tell, is DWGWWS supposed to mean?

Do We Get What We See...?

post #46198 of 72394 Old 12-02-2011, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For the most part, yes, although it may not be quite as flat as the prediction. With no labels on the axes of you graphs, it's difficult to tell how large those nulls and peaks are in your FR and Audyssey will only go so far to correct a peak (and especially, a null).

Max
post #46199 of 72394 Old 12-02-2011, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 742 Post(s)
Liked: 278
Quote:

To my knowledge nobody ever posted such measurements.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #46200 of 72394 Old 12-02-2011, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:

Thank you! another question is DWGWWS?

Speakers...Sonus Faber Elipsa

Seems you've got some $20,000/pair speakers. What would you like to tell the Audyssey thread?

Cheers, Feri

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Receivers Amplifiers , Kef Kht1005 2se 5 1 Subwoofer Satellite System With C4 Subwoofer Gloss White , 5 6 7 1 7 2 Or 8 1 8 2 One Or Two Subwoofer Compatible 16 Banana Post 2 Rca Speaker Wall Plate For H
Gear in this thread - Kht1005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page