post #49531 of 71785 Old 01-28-2012, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post

Pointless discussion IMHO, let's move on!

Well, you brought it up...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49532 of 71785 Old 01-28-2012, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Interesting! Of course hard to tell, but the Music curve sounds much more naturally balanced. Reducing the bass in the Movie curve is probably good (I have that built into my Movie preset), but it also sounds like it emphasizes the midrange around the vocals. No likee. Other than those old movies that were transferred without correcting excess brightness, I see no need to fiddle with the spectrum >200 Hz between movies and music.

the difference while watching a movie with a good surround scene in something like DTS-HD is even more dramatic. there is ZERO impact to the sound while in Movie mode.

curious to see if William can take a listen to the video clip and see if this is what he is hearing too.
post #49533 of 71785 Old 01-28-2012, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleus View Post

D-bone - i'm going to try that out. The bass spikes are what keep me from using DEQ.

I recorded a short video clip showing the difference between MOVIE and MUSIC Audyssey curves. I walked up to my screen to try and show what i was toggling between (the sound isn't great on the clip, it's just an iphone mic catching this).

Anyway, the comparison is better towards the end when the commercial plays. It's a short clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv2fS_13KRg

PS - the difference sounds much bigger in person.

Whoa! I can't believe the difference in the sound when switching curves.

Let me say that I have a 5009 running the December firmware and I am not having a problem like this.

I will say though that I purchased my 5009 the end of december at which time I immediately updated the firmware before doing any calibration or set up. I have also run Audyssey a few times since then due to configuration changes I would test/make to my system.

I doubt this helps but I thought I would chime in.

Speakers: Martin Logan Montis, EM C2, Dual Depth I Subs, JBL S38 surround (upgrading soon) | Processor: Yamaha CX-A5000 | Amp: Sunfire TGA-5400 | Sources: DirecTV HR34, HTPC, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-103, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Wii U | Television: Panasonic 65VT50 | Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate
post #49534 of 71785 Old 01-28-2012, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

the difference while watching a movie with a good surround scene in something like DTS-HD is even more dramatic. there is ZERO impact to the sound while in Movie mode.

curious to see if William can take a listen to the video clip and see if this is what he is hearing too.

I tried to listen to it on my laptop very weak and hard to give a fair comparison sorry.

post #49535 of 71785 Old 01-28-2012, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by fotto View Post

MIke, that's how I run mine with XT (optimize for first row). For my 3 seat front row, first is MLP middle seat, next left and right seat, next in front of left middle seat arm rest, then directly in front of middle seat, then in front of right middle seat arm rest, and the last two right behind middle seat on left and right edges.

Seems to work well for me so far. My back row gets used infrequently enough that I'm not that concerned about it.

Here's front row sub response at each seat:

Floyd, Nice 1st row response, I take it that is with Audyssey and sub only as marked. Is that blip at 80hz due to xover or?? I also see 120hz, is that your LPF setting?

Curious, do you also have:
-Sub +mains w/audyssey
-sub w/o audyssey

I re-ran my audyssey this morning, will take REW measurements tonight/early tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Note that XT32 only uses 8 measuring points as well. Regardless of where your actual seats are, the general guidance from Audyssey is to place mic positions 2-8 within a 2'-3' radius around the #1 main listening position.

Thx, it's been a while since I read the set-up guide, I've re-read it.
I did just 1st row this morning, all 4 seat positions, 4 @ ear position lying down, and 4 more about 20" fwd or so, like if the seat was fully upright and you were in that position for sports watching.
post #49536 of 71785 Old 01-28-2012, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 161
btw;
There's been some really good discussion among the regulars here past few days.

IMO, you need to summarize that into a single post as high level info and some detail for future reference, or it gest too many pages back and hard to find.

Is there a "best of discussions" post here where all these keeper discussions are bookmarked for storage/reference?
post #49537 of 71785 Old 01-28-2012, 02:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post

I am certain that they acknowledged the errors with the xx08 models which caused the unit freezing up/cycling through different modes,...............................

Hard to deny when the machine just bricks. They fixed mine just fine and quickly. OTOH, they have never publicly acknowledged the AudysseyPro error although they did correct it in a subsequent firmware release. BTW, they are not unique.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #49538 of 71785 Old 01-28-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There's no question something is broken. The first acknowledgment you'll likely get that the problem is real is as Kal says, a fixed FW revision.
post #49539 of 71785 Old 01-28-2012, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I've had an 11-channel setup with Audyssey DSX Wides + Heights for almost 2 years now. I use 11 channels for nearly all movies, except for some older films wherein the dialog bounces from left to right, which then sends some dialog to the Wides, which is totally weird. This also happens with some Pixar films, quite annoying but infrequent.

I recently sold my Wide speakers, with the intention of replacing them with in-wall speakers so I'm now left with a 9-channel setup with DSX or PLIIz Heights. Similar to a lot of other things in life, it's only when something is suddenly gone that you value and miss it so badly. I feel like Professor Higgins singing "I've Grown Accustomed to Her Face".

It's very funny because when my huge Wide speakers were removed, with the lights on, the room suddenly looked bigger and with a lot more space. However, when you dim the lights and start to watch a movie, the opposite happens -- the room seems to have shrunk in size. The DSX Wides create the illusion that you are in a much larger space.

Mark
post #49540 of 71785 Old 01-28-2012, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post

I tried to listen to it on my laptop very weak and hard to give a fair comparison sorry.

yeah, it's only worth listening to with headphones. later this evening i'll try and post a comparison while it plays a really good surround source - that video was just 5.1 cable audio from Espn so i could record how voices sound.

So Cal - there have apparently been past problems with Onkyo and Audyssey implementations?

PS - while it didn't necessarily "brick" my first 709, the fact that one of teh channels stopped outputting after it got the new firmware really makes me wonder about the stability of this version.
post #49541 of 71785 Old 01-28-2012, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart88 View Post

It's very funny because when my huge Wide speakers were removed, with the lights on, the room suddenly looked bigger and with a lot more space. However, when you dim the lights and start to watch a movie, the opposite happens -- the room seems to have shrunk in size. The DSX Wides create the illusion that you are in a much larger space.

Mark, took a stroll thru your linked theater pix. Wow, I'm drooling over all those Focals. I had a brief listen to a Focal 7.1 system but I had no idea what they were. I just kept asking who made the speakers!

Re your theater, is your MLP in the front row or back, and how far is it from the screen?
post #49542 of 71785 Old 01-28-2012, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

so i decided to experiment again with DEQ since i hadn't tried it on my second onkyo 709 (that i am using in MUSIC curve) - sounds really good. none of the obtrusive bass cooking i heard on my first go-round. must have had a better measurement this time around? anyway, the center channel seems fuller and the overall mix better even at normal listening volumes.
post #49543 of 71785 Old 01-28-2012, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

Floyd, Nice 1st row response, I take it that is with Audyssey and sub only as marked. Is that blip at 80hz due to xover or?? I also see 120hz, is that your LPF setting?

Curious, do you also have:
-Sub +mains w/audyssey
-sub w/o audyssey

I re-ran my audyssey this morning, will take REW measurements tonight/early tomorrow.

Here you go Mike. I haven't taken a ton of measurements yet with my new 'TX-NR809. All of these were with 120Hz LPF.

Here's sub only front center seat with and without EQ. The blue trace with EQ is 200Hz x-over and the other is at 80Hz.

Here's sub and mains with EQ and 80hz x-over.

I've always had a dip at around 80hz at MLP even with my previous receiver (TX-NR708). Had good luck getting rid of it with sub distance increase but just haven't had time to fuss with it yet with the new receiver.
post #49544 of 71785 Old 01-28-2012, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
I just got down with calibrating my tv and the calibrator (Ray) whose also a audyssey cert installer told me that its better to have dyn eq off since its boosting the surrounds. At the same time i do like how it boosts the sub when im nota reference

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #49545 of 71785 Old 01-28-2012, 11:54 PM

I'm also getting the strange movie curve , almsot like it's out of phase?, the music curve seems much more natural.
post #49546 of 71785 Old 01-29-2012, 01:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:

The bass spikes are what keep me from using DEQ.

Try using Audyssey Reference Level Offset with DEQ, setting it to 5 will lessen the effect of DEQ (which includes the bass boost), 10 even more and 15 the most.
post #49547 of 71785 Old 01-29-2012, 02:26 AM
AVS Special Member

After some testing with DVE testtones (including half R/Rs and half L/Ls) and movies in 5.1 and upmixed 2.0, I think a decrease of the surround trim levels by -1.5dB or maybe -2dB will be my choice.
I could have used Reference Level Offset (RLO) but I like the "full" effect of DEQ so I opted for the surround decrease instead.
The difference between RLO 0 and RLO 5 only seemed to be around -1dB, likewise between RLO 5 and RLO 10.
THX Loudness Plus increased the surrounds somewhere between RLO 5 and RLO 10 but is less agressive at higher volumes, at MV -25 to -35 it seemed identical to RLO 5 but at MV -40 and lower, it was boosting less than RLO 10.
Note: the DVE testtones for half L/C and half C/R also made me increase my Center and Right trim with 0.5dB each in order to produce phantom speakers between the real ones.
post #49548 of 71785 Old 01-29-2012, 03:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianC5 View Post

I'm also getting the strange movie curve , almsot like it's out of phase?, the music curve seems much more natural.

Hi Julian - are you using an Onkyo? Recent firmware ?
post #49549 of 71785 Old 01-29-2012, 05:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Mark, took a stroll thru your linked theater pix. Wow, I'm drooling over all those Focals. I had a brief listen to a Focal 7.1 system but I had no idea what they were. I just kept asking who made the speakers!

Re your theater, is your MLP in the front row or back, and how far is it from the screen?

Hi Roger! MLP is in the front row, 17' from the 133" diagonal 1.78 screen. Room is 29' long. Room is too long. My next room should be much wider.

Yes, the Focal sound (especially the Utopia variety) is pretty special, from the top to bottom, but you still need good acoustic treatment, correct positioning & a good electronic EQ system. Audyssey MultEQ XT32 & Pro make a huge improvement, even with the Focal Utopia speakers.

Mark
post #49550 of 71785 Old 01-29-2012, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Julian - are you using an Onkyo? Recent firmware ?

Oleus:

are you still having the issues with the movie curve? I am gathering the bass improvement you received with DEQ was in the music curve right.

post #49551 of 71785 Old 01-29-2012, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post

Oleus:

are you still having the issues with the movie curve? I am gathering the bass improvement you received with DEQ was in the music curve right.

yeah, movie curve is still unusable. sounds like another poster is having the same issue now too, waiting to hear back if he is indeed using an onkyo and curious about what firmware he is on.
post #49552 of 71785 Old 01-29-2012, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yeah, movie curve is still unusable. sounds like another poster is having the same issue now too, waiting to hear back if he is indeed using an onkyo and curious about what firmware he is on.

yes its kind of frustrating. I have had several Onkyo/Integra receivers in the last few years. Not a novice to Audessey. I have had Audessey xt and xt32 twice before and never has been an issue for me. This is the first time. I really will feel foolish if it is something I have done. Just seems timing wise a few members with Onkyo receivers have had this similar issue.

post #49553 of 71785 Old 01-29-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post

After some testing with DVE testtones (including half R/Rs and half L/Ls) and movies in 5.1 and upmixed 2.0, I think a decrease of the surround trim levels by -1.5dB or maybe -2dB will be my choice.
I could have used Reference Level Offset (RLO) but I like the "full" effect of DEQ so I opted for the surround decrease instead.
The difference between RLO 0 and RLO 5 only seemed to be around -1dB, likewise between RLO 5 and RLO 10.

The RLO effect depends on the setting of the MV. The lower the MV, the larger the RLO effect. Truely a case of YMMV!

Quote:

Note: the DVE testtones for half L/C and half C/R also made me increase my Center and Right trim with 0.5dB each in order to produce phantom speakers between the real ones.

Do I understand that you did both? The surround trims went -1.5 and the fronts went +0.5? So the net shift "forward" is 2 dB for your listening levels?

Also, just so I understand, these offsets are what gets things nicely balanced with DEQ on, at your normal listening levels. Do you also sometimes listen at notably lower listening levels (10 dB or more), and if so, is DEQ "tracking" well wrt bass/surrounds?
post #49554 of 71785 Old 01-29-2012, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart88 View Post

Hi Roger! MLP is in the front row, 17' from the 133" diagonal 1.78 screen. Room is 29' long. Room is too long. My next room should be much wider.

Wider could be good, but it's the seating distance most on my mind. The 17' to the screen is giving you a narrow 32° viewing angle. With the L/R speakers flanking the screen, the stereo image is also narrow. I submit that were they forming a 55-60° angle (with a 45° screen), it would improve the frontal image presentation quite noticeably.

It's not easy to tell how much exactly, but from the pictures it appears that the Ls/Rs speakers are placed behind the MLP. I have found that the positioning of the surrounds in a 7.1 system has a remarkably influential effect on the sense of envelopment and front/back seamlessness. Ideally they should be either directly lateral (90°) or even a little less (80°) to best create a cohesive soundfield. (Despite Audyssey's speaker diagrams to the contrary.)

All of this is my humble armchair techno-psychoanalytic opinion (i.e., guess ) as to why you find the DSX wides so conspicuous by their absence. I suspect they are filling in for both the narrow fronts and the rearward surrounds. If you had a chance to move the MLP 5' forward, and shift the 4 surrounds, you might not feel as compelled to add wide speakers. And all the better to bask in the glory that is the Utopian Focals.
post #49555 of 71785 Old 01-29-2012, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 84
What would 5' closer make the viewing angle? I believe at more than 30° your eyes have to move too much to perceive everything on the screen.
post #49556 of 71785 Old 01-29-2012, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:

The lower the MV, the larger the RLO effect.

Sure? I think setting Reference Level Offset does just set a fixed offset. Just like adusting the input by a fixed amount would.

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #49557 of 71785 Old 01-29-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

What would 5' closer make the viewing angle? I believe at more than 30° your eyes have to move too much to perceive everything on the screen.

Yeah that's something I hate about the real world too. The constant need to move my eyes in order to look at everything is really tiresome

Markus

"In science, contrary evidence causes one to question a theory. In religion, contrary evidence causes one to question the evidence." - Floyd Toole
post #49558 of 71785 Old 01-29-2012, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by markus767 View Post

Yeah that's something I hate about the real world too. The constant need to move my eyes in order to look at everything is really tiresome

Kind of depends on what you are looking at don't you think? In a movie things tend to be gone, changed or panned in an instant. Not so much in the real world when you are looking at your garden in the yard.
post #49559 of 71785 Old 01-29-2012, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

My point was that the view of the camera does not always simply wants to replace your eyes. It might present a view that wants to immerse you in a scenery.

Markus

post #49560 of 71785 Old 01-29-2012, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The RLO effect depends on the setting of the MV. The lower the MV, the larger the RLO effect. Truely a case of YMMV!

Yes, I know. I tested volymes between 0 and -50 in 5db intervals when comparing the different approaches.
Quote:

Do I understand that you did both? The surround trims went -1.5 and the fronts went +0.5? So the net shift "forward" is 2 dB for your listening levels?

I didn't touch Left but increased Center and Right with +0.5dB to get
better phantom speakers between Left/Center and Center/Right.
This tailored the sound to my hearing, I hear slightly better with my left or worse with my right, can't tell which...
Quote:

Also, just so I understand, these offsets are what gets things nicely balanced with DEQ on, at your normal listening levels. Do you also sometimes listen at notably lower listening levels (10 dB or more), and if so, is DEQ "tracking" well wrt bass/surrounds?

So far yes, a very enveloping soundstage at the levels I usually listen to: between -25 and -40 DEQ enabled and between -40 and -65 with Dynamic Volume Light. Last evening, we watched "Unstoppable", a very loud movie with trains!, and the surrounds sounded fine around -35 and I am watching the final shootout in "True Grit" right now at -65(!!) with DVL and the surrounds seems balanced wrt the fronts.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Receivers Amplifiers , Kef Kht1005 2se 5 1 Subwoofer Satellite System With C4 Subwoofer Gloss White , 5 6 7 1 7 2 Or 8 1 8 2 One Or Two Subwoofer Compatible 16 Banana Post 2 Rca Speaker Wall Plate For H
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page