post #50641 of 71855 Old 02-19-2012, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

That is unrelated to measuring and getting a good setup. Luis can kick back and listen now. DEQ is certainly one of the first thing I would look at, but the calibration part is over.

Jeff

Difficulties of development are always followed by development of difficulties. Agree, calibration is over. Grab that beer, man, before going on to the next stage!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #50642 of 71855 Old 02-19-2012, 02:05 PM
Wireless member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

The Mazda RS7 is a very nice car that uses the Wankel engine. Talking of cars, and bringing this errant post back on topic, my about-to-be-delivered Range Rover Evoque has its sound system tuned by, yes, Audyssey!

Good place to employ your Omnimic!
post #50643 of 71855 Old 02-19-2012, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

The Mazda RS7 is a very nice car that uses the Wankel engine.

Yes, but it was produced from 1978 to 2002. (Wikipedia)

Quote:
Talking of cars, and bringing this errant post back on topic, my about-to-be-delivered Range Rover Evoque has its sound system tuned by, yes, Audyssey!

Congrats!
post #50644 of 71855 Old 02-19-2012, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisfc1972 View Post

2. when i calculate and store after first main measurement, it wont let me finish the other 7 measurements. it tells me autosetup is done and if i want to turn dynamic volume on. i can check parameters etc. but i cannot finish audyssey. i cant get around this.

You must finish all measurements before selecting Next and Calculate. You cannot re-start measuring after running the calculation. Just start over from the beginning after you have adjusted the sub's gain downwards slightly.
post #50645 of 71855 Old 02-19-2012, 02:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lou99 View Post

I had a Onkyo 607 (2EQ), which crossed my speakers over at:

80hz - Center
Full - Towers
90hz - Surrounds
100hz -Heights

These were 100% correct based on the specs of the speakers.

However, I ran Multi EQ XT with my new Denon and the results were odd. I followed all of the tips recommended over the past few days (covered sofa, placed mic 18"+ from wall, took 8 proper measurements). Some of the smaller speakers were crossed over lower than the bigger/better speakers.

Based on your recommendations I angled my center downward more towards the Sofa when I took these measurements. This may be the cause of the 120hz crossover setting. Currently the center is placed above the TV on a shelf. A few years ago, I placed under my TV which also led to Audyssey to use a 120hz xover setting. Perhaps it shouldn't be angled directly at the listening position in my environment?

The results with Multi EQ XT were:

120hz - Center
Full - Towers
90hz - Surrounds
80hz -Heights

I will try run the setup once more, and this time cluster the recording positions closer to each other and closer to the sofa.

With my center above my TV, If I aim the center downward so that its flush with the listening position, Audyssey crosses over at 120. If I face the center speaker above the primary listening position Audyssey crosses over at 80hz. The speaker is rated at 53-20,000 Hz.

Id like to use Audyssey and have the speaker crossed over at 80hz. Whats the best way to achieve that? Leave the center aimed "higher" than the listening position? or leaivng as is and lowering the crossover after the Audyssey calib?
post #50646 of 71855 Old 02-19-2012, 02:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked: 1243
Quote:

Good place to employ your Omnimic!

Sadly, the system is pre-configured using Audyssey's auto-system. But I heard the sound system when I had my demo ride and it was superb. The interior of a car is a good place for an electronic EQ system to do its stuff I guess.
post #50647 of 71855 Old 02-19-2012, 02:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:

running audyssey i had problem with not detecting sub, it was a bad cable.

a couple of questions

am using denon 1712

after first measurement, i go to next page where i calculate and store

1. ive tried a couple of times it sets the sub channel level at -10 and -12, after i reset should i turn up or down the volume on the back of the sub?

2. when i calculate and store after first main measurement, it wont let me finish the other 7 measurements. it tells me autosetup is done and if i want to turn dynamic volume on. i can check parameters etc. but i cannot finish audyssey. i cant get around this.

Regarding #2 - after first measurement - don"t select "calculate & store" instead select "next" and you will be directed to move the microphone to the 2nd listening position. Take all of the available measurements, then select "calculate"
Regarding #1 it looks like Mogorf has already responded.

post #50648 of 71855 Old 02-19-2012, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:

That is unrelated to measuring and getting a good setup. Luis can kick back and listen now. DEQ is certainly one of the first thing I would look at, but the calibration part is over.

Jeff

Which is why I said "not yet" - implying subsequent work to be done (to the current job,) and not "no" which would have implied still work to be done (on the current job.) It also implies that the current job is finished.

Thinking about it makes me wonder if there is a default setting from Audyssey for DEQ, or if manufacturers make up their own? If it defaulted to On and zero, hmm ... I can't remember where mine was.

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #50649 of 71855 Old 02-19-2012, 02:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post

Which is why I said "not yet" - implying subsequent work to be done (to the current job,) and not "no" which would have implied still work to be done (on the current job.) It also implies that the current job is finished.

Thinking about it makes me wonder if there is a default setting from Audyssey for DEQ, or if manufacturers make up their own? If it defaulted to On and zero, hmm ... I can't remember where mine was.

A lot of us (well some of us anyway ) have found that using a Reference Level Offset of 5dB for DEQ works very well indeed (for movies). There was a lot of discussion here about this a few weeks back - it turned into a highly theoretical discussion, but just before it did, there was a lot of useful practical stuff too. I did a lot (and I mean a lot) of listening tests before coming to the conclusion that what others had found who trod this path before me, was right. A 5dB RLO is the best all-round solution for many of us.

In brief, the problem we found with DEQ and a 0dB RLO was that the bass, and possibly the surrounds, were 'overboosted' by DEQ for those who listen at less than Reference levels (all of us). A 5dB RLO means that, in effect, (only as far as DEQ is concerned), your reference level becomes -5dB instead of 0dB. At Reference, the effect of DEQ is zero, so shifting the reference point to -5dB reduces the effect of DEQ.
post #50650 of 71855 Old 02-19-2012, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
i think i like dynamic volume set to day

i have direct tv connected to first hdmi on tv, ran optical to the receiver (i just want to avoid the whole hdmi handshake issue)

i have bluray(first hdmi input) and dvd(second hdmi input) connected accordingly to receiver. receiver connected to tv second hdmi input

i want to use the one passthrough for the dvd player hooked up to the second hdmi slot on receiver. my question is how exactly do i do this. in the receiver menu, do i just select hdmi on and source would be hdmi2?
post #50651 of 71855 Old 02-19-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Since the Audyssey thread has the most experts, would you all shoot for a flat response from 10hz all the way up to 120hz since thats what Audyssey sets mine at...

If i do it your way there will be no fighting Lol....
post #50652 of 71855 Old 02-19-2012, 03:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

The Mazda RS7 is a very nice car that uses the Wankel engine. Talking of cars, and bringing this errant post back on topic, my about-to-be-delivered Range Rover Evoque has its sound system tuned by, yes, Audyssey!

Keith,

Once you get your Audyssey-powered Range Rover, would you mind taking it on a spin in city traffic and around the countryside and then making a brief report?

When you're driving really fast, how does it handle the noise of the engine and the pavement? What about stop-and-go traffic? Is it possible to disable Audyssey so you can compare the "with and without"?

Thanks!

Mark
post #50653 of 71855 Old 02-19-2012, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 158
Quote:

...2. when i calculate and store after first main measurement, it wont let me finish the other 7 measurements. it tells me autosetup is done and if i want to turn dynamic volume on. i can check parameters etc. but i cannot finish audyssey. i cant get around this.

Do not calculate/store until all 6 mic positions have been sampled. Instead move the mic and click on the next position # when ready to proceed.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #50654 of 71855 Old 02-19-2012, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

Do not calculate/store until all 6 mic positions have been sampled. Instead move the mic and click on the next position # when ready to proceed.

i think the audyssey setup guide thread confused me a bit. this one

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post14456895

subwoofer setup parts G #4. say to do first measurement, then calculate. i think its meant for older receivers than my 1712. that is where my confusion was. audyssey is done on mine, just tweaking now
post #50655 of 71855 Old 02-19-2012, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:

A lot of us (well some of us anyway ) have found that using a Reference Level Offset of 5dB for DEQ works very well indeed (for movies). There was a lot of discussion here about this a few weeks back - it turned into a highly theoretical discussion, but just before it did, there was a lot of useful practical stuff too. I did a lot (and I mean a lot) of listening tests before coming to the conclusion that what others had found who trod this path before me, was right. A 5dB RLO is the best all-round solution for many of us.

In brief, the problem we found with DEQ and a 0dB RLO was that the bass, and possibly the surrounds, were 'overboosted' by DEQ for those who listen at less than Reference levels (all of us). A 5dB RLO means that, in effect, (only as far as DEQ is concerned), your reference level becomes -5dB instead of 0dB. At Reference, the effect of DEQ is zero, so shifting the reference point to -5dB reduces the effect of DEQ.

I actually kept up with that discussion! My receiver has 1 db increments from 0-15 and I ended up with 10 everywhere except movies on disc, where I use 6. This seems to work well enough that I don't notice it most of the time, and it's an easy fix if it's off. I guess I should add I have presets available, so switching sources brings a new DEQ if I want, and that makes it a set and forget pretty much.

Still haven't tried my favorite BD concert disc though - I wanted to ask FM about the variations on his recommendations, e.g. concerts on BD (it's music, but on what we think of as a film format) and premium movies on TV (movies, but delivered by TV.) Not so much concerned about usage, just the technical detail of how they're mixed/mastered in terms of his knowledge.

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
post #50656 of 71855 Old 02-19-2012, 04:00 PM

Liked: 11
Just wondering what the majority thinks is the best 5.1 reciever for about 300 that has audessey that can control and balance the sub woofer. I think thats audessey xt. Thanks for the help.
post #50657 of 71855 Old 02-19-2012, 04:05 PM
Wireless member

I don't think you can get XT for that amount for a new unit. You'll need to go used, I think.
post #50658 of 71855 Old 02-19-2012, 04:07 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

i think the audyssey setup guide thread confused me a bit. this one

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post14456895

subwoofer setup parts G #4. say to do first measurement, then calculate. i think its meant for older receivers than my 1712. that is where my confusion was. audyssey is done on mine, just tweaking now

That was to make sure the amount of trim needed to balance the sub was within the adjustment range.
post #50659 of 71855 Old 02-19-2012, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Since the Audyssey thread has the most experts, would you all shoot for a flat response from 10hz all the way up to 120hz on my sub since thats what Audyssey sets mine at...

If i do it your way there will be no fighting Lol.
post #50660 of 71855 Old 02-19-2012, 04:33 PM
Wireless member

If you have uncorrected peaks and dips in that region, then acoustical treatments are needed. But yes, flat from bottom to at least 500-ish is nice.
post #50661 of 71855 Old 02-19-2012, 04:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart88 View Post

Keith,

Once you get your Audyssey-powered Range Rover, would you mind taking it on a spin in city traffic and around the countryside and then making a brief report?

I'm sure that be a pleasure

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart88 View Post

When you're driving really fast, how does it handle the noise of the engine and the pavement? What about stop-and-go traffic? Is it possible to disable Audyssey so you can compare the "with and without"?

Thanks!

I don't think it will be possible to switch Audyssey in and out. I'm not sure at this time though. I will be sure to report on it though - I'm expecting delivery towards the end of March. This will be the first car I have had that has Audyssey - it may even be the first car that Audyssey has supplied with EQ technology.
post #50662 of 71855 Old 02-19-2012, 04:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjames View Post

Still haven't tried my favorite BD concert disc though - I wanted to ask FM about the variations on his recommendations, e.g. concerts on BD (it's music, but on what we think of as a film format) and premium movies on TV (movies, but delivered by TV.) Not so much concerned about usage, just the technical detail of how they're mixed/mastered in terms of his knowledge.

FM is in the Naughty Corner unfortunately for another week or so. I'm sure he will be back as soon as he's able. You might catch him on another thread - I think his punishment was confined to not being able to access this thread BICBW on that.
post #50663 of 71855 Old 02-19-2012, 04:49 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

I don't think it will be possible to switch Audyssey in and out. I'm not sure at this time though. I will be sure to report on it though - I'm expecting delivery towards the end of March. This will be the first car I have had that has Audyssey - it may even be the first car that Audyssey has supplied with EQ technology.

If you have to do a calibration, then before that is done there will be no Audyssey ... ?

Jaguar, Volvo and Subaru are all listed on their site under car audio. I seem to remember hearing about the Volvo a few years ago.
post #50664 of 71855 Old 02-19-2012, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you have uncorrected peaks and dips in that region, then acoustical treatments are needed. But yes, flat from bottom to at least 500-ish is nice.

Then that will be a great starting point....
post #50665 of 71855 Old 02-19-2012, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I had a Onkyo 607 (2EQ), which crossed my speakers over at:

80hz - Center
Full - Towers
90hz - Surrounds
100hz -Heights

These were 100% correct based on the specs of the speakers.

However, I ran Multi EQ XT with my new Denon and the results were odd. I followed all of the tips recommended over the past few days (covered sofa, placed mic 18"+ from wall, took 8 proper measurements). Some of the smaller speakers were crossed over lower than the bigger/better speakers.

Based on your recommendations I angled my center downward more towards the Sofa when I took these measurements. This may be the cause of the 120hz crossover setting. Currently the center is placed above the TV on a shelf. A few years ago, I placed under my TV which also led to Audyssey to use a 120hz xover setting. Perhaps it shouldn't be angled directly at the listening position in my environment?

The results with Multi EQ XT were:

120hz - Center
Full - Towers
90hz - Surrounds
80hz -Heights

I will try run the setup once more, and this time cluster the recording positions closer to each other and closer to the sofa.

Quote:

With my center above my TV, If I aim the center downward so that its flush with the listening position, Audyssey crosses over at 120. If I face the center speaker above the primary listening position Audyssey crosses over at 80hz. The speaker is rated at 53-20,000 Hz.

Id like to use Audyssey and have the speaker crossed over at 80hz. Whats the best way to achieve that? Leave the center aimed "higher" than the listening position? or leaivng as is and lowering the crossover after the Audyssey calib?

I ran the setup again, this time placing the 1" listening position closer to the wall (18" away to be exact). I was able to get 90hz on the center.
post #50666 of 71855 Old 02-19-2012, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:

I ran the setup again, this time placing the 1" listening position closer to the wall (18" away to be exact). I was able to get 90hz on the center.

You will learn that mic placement, even if varied by only inches, affects a calibration more than what you might think.

When my measurement positions were spread out across all three seats my surrounds were never set lower than 90Hz. But recently, since I started bunching up my measurements around the middle seat more (changing each mic position by only inches compared to the old positions I used to use), my surrounds are now set to 80Hz.

Same thing happened when I had my old setup with my old center: no matter how I positioned the center I could never get a crossover below 100Hz even though it was rated at 75Hz in-room. But once I bunched up the mic positions a little (by a difference of inches compared to previous positions) so that I wasn't measuring too far to the sides of my MLP, the center was suddenly being set at 60Hz.

Mic positions do matter. Also remember that crossovers are not calculated from the first measurement position alone: Audyssey weighs all positions measured to calculate the -3dB point (which determines where the receiver will set the crossovers). So in my case it was the positioning of all but the first measurement spot that was affecting the crossover selections of my surrounds and center.
post #50667 of 71855 Old 02-19-2012, 07:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post

Sanjay, isn't Stereo Bass something like the Wankel motor, a brave idea no one really followed up?

If "no one" means Denon, Outlaw Audio, Harman/Kardon, and Lexicon. All those companies had products that did bass management in stereo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post

BTW, care to explain how Denon flagships handle SB?

They can be configured for up to 3 subwoofer outputs. Bass filtered from all the left channels (front, side, rear) is sent to the left subwoofer output. Bass filtered from all the right channels (front, side, rear) is sent to the right subwoofer output. Bass from the centre channel is split to both those subwoofer outputs. The LFE channel is sent to its own dedicated subwoofer output.

Sanjay
post #50668 of 71855 Old 02-19-2012, 08:10 PM

Sorry if this was asked before - I did my search but couldn't find anything related, or I just didn't know how to come up with proper key words. I ran Audyssey setup and it told me the center speaker had wrong phase. So I double checked then triple checked the wiring and it's correctly wired. It's only 2 feet long wire so there is not question about here. Anyway I reverse the wires and Audyssey became happy. So someone must be wrong. My question is, who is more likely to be wrong, Audyssey or speaker internal wiring?

AVR: Denon 2311
Speaker: Energy Take Classis II
post #50669 of 71855 Old 02-19-2012, 08:22 PM
Wireless member

It could be that the speaker's design is such that it is detected as being out of phase. It could also be that it is falsely being detected as out of phase when it is not. If you are sure that you have it wired correctly, then ignore the warning.

Jeff
post #50670 of 71855 Old 02-19-2012, 08:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by strongline View Post

Sorry if this was asked before - I did my search but couldn't find anything related, or I just didn't know how to come up with proper key words. I ran Audyssey setup and it told me the center speaker had wrong phase. So I double checked then triple checked the wiring and it's correctly wired. It's only 2 feet long wire so there is not question about here. Anyway I reverse the wires and Audyssey became happy. So someone must be wrong. My question is, who is more likely to be wrong, Audyssey or speaker internal wiring?

AVR: Denon 2311
Speaker: Energy Take Classis II

Audyssey is likely to be right. It detected one of my speakers out of phase and it was correct. You can easily perform a listening test with just the one suspect speaker and 1 known good speaker temporarily set up as a stereo pair.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Receivers Amplifiers , Kef Kht1005 2se 5 1 Subwoofer Satellite System With C4 Subwoofer Gloss White , 5 6 7 1 7 2 Or 8 1 8 2 One Or Two Subwoofer Compatible 16 Banana Post 2 Rca Speaker Wall Plate For H
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page