AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 1218
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Well I'll be darned.

Don't be *too* darned - I only found out today after jdmsoothie told me about it. At some stage I will do a 'table of contents' thing using that syntax so people can just pick the FAQ they want and be zipped to the correct response.

That is a heck of an impressive piece of work by JD, BTW, IMO.
SanchoPanza likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #51782 of 71837 Old 03-15-2012, 01:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If anyone wants to add the link to the FAQ in their sig block, just copy and paste this (you'll have to hit Quote as though you were going to reply):

Audyssey FAQ Linked Here
SanchoPanza likes this.
post #51783 of 71837 Old 03-15-2012, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

If anyone wants to add the link to the FAQ in their sig block, just copy and paste this (you'll have to hit Quote as though you were going to reply):

Audyssey FAQ Linked Here

Added and congrats so far Keith.
SanchoPanza likes this.
post #51784 of 71837 Old 03-15-2012, 02:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

post #51785 of 71837 Old 03-15-2012, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:

The next questions I am going to tackle are:

At this rate, you will have solved a number of unanswered issues in higher mathematics and physics before Easter.

Great job, Keith!

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #51786 of 71837 Old 03-15-2012, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks Feri. Please don't hesitate to suggest ideas for the FAQ as they occur to you.

Thanks for the encouragement Keith!

Here's one more elementary issue. Those who misspell like Udyssey or MultiQue will have to pay a $1 fine. Fine?
post #51787 of 71837 Old 03-15-2012, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Sure. How will people be routed to the FAQ? With a new and stickied thread, it would be one of the first threads seen when someone drops into the Amps, Receivers and Processors forum.

Yep, that's why I've been advocating that from the get-go. Especially for newbs to Audyssey, that would be the simplest and easiest solution.

With a title like:
"The Official Audyssey FAQ and Setup Guide"

New users to Audyssey tech will see the stickied thread right at the top, and with the FAQ in the first post, they will find the answers easily, as opposed to not knowing that there is an FAQ embedded in this humongous thread.

In addition, it makes it a lot simpler and neater if someone has questions that haven't previously been answered in the FAQ. They can just post in the FAQ thread and the questions and answers can then be added to the FAQ. Makes for an all around much neater and more concise solution.

Max

P.S. If a separate stickied FAQ thread is used, then THIS thread should be retitled to something like "The (Advanced?) Audyssey technology and HT acoustics thread" to differentiate the 2 and reduce confusion. That way, folks with setup questions will gravitate to the FAQ thread, and those looking to delve deeper into the world of acoustics and room correction can choose to plumb the depths of this thread for the wealth of information contained herein.
post #51788 of 71837 Old 03-15-2012, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Guys, it seems the "Official" Audyssey thead (FAQ in post #1) needs upgrade, coz from now on its not a FAQ in the first post but a Setup Guide. Time to call the mods again!

Just trying to be accurate!
post #51789 of 71837 Old 03-15-2012, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi folks

You cant imagine how happy I am to find a 1K+ thread about the adussey system
I have scavanged the audyssey site and read 20-30 pages here and the guides.
Fantastic work - You can never get to much info.

Background.
I am about to buy the Integra 80.3 pre-amp with Audysses DSX Wide+High.
I am also upgrading the projection screen to a Firehawk G3.
The problem is that those two equations does not add up since I have to make sacrifices in either the audio or picture domain.

Goal
Basicaly I want a 3.12meters (10,23 feet) wide 2.35:1 screen image area (as in image attached).
To have a good viewing angle wuthout loosing gain and retain a good visual acuity and also follow THX & SMTP standards the seating would reside at about 4,4m (14,43 feet).
I also want to apply DSX as correct as possible to benefit fully.

Question
This is where the trouble begins.
If I am gonna be able to apply DSX the speakers will end up in CRAZY places like in front of the entrance, inside the oven (kakel-ugn in swedish) a.s.o.

So as I see it my options are as in image (Red lines = optimal angles):
0 (not in image)- Reduce screen size and move closer to screen (getting sofa in front of entrance)

A - Keep screen size and put some speakers off angle, but keeping as many as possible according to norm even if it means getting uneven placement.
Non circle shape of speaker placement.

B - Keep image and put ALL speakers off angle (but rears) with the same amount, none according to norm but even placement and closer to a circle shape.

Which would be the best?
For me 0 is not really an option unless DSX gives more impact than a huge screen.
But from the other two which would be best.
Or something in between, in that case can You describe?

Oh, I will never be able to get 45 degree height on the height speakers by the side wall but that I will sacrifice to keep ceiling clean.

Europe -> US conversion on meassurements
100 cm in picture = 3,3 feet = 39 inches

Best regards
Boogieman
LL

Livingroom
JVC DLA-X30@108" 16:9
Denon AVR3805, Emotiva XPA-5
Oppo BDP-93,PS-3,HTPC
JBL Ti6K,Ti1K,XTi20,REL Q150
Bedroom
Pioneer KRP-500M
Denon AVR3802,HTPC
QLN 603,601MK2,Wharfdale DFS
post #51790 of 71837 Old 03-15-2012, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 143
If a FAQ thread was stickied and locked I also think it would be the best case scenario. But two running threads is probably not a good idea IMO.

Keith, a suggestion for the FAQ: "Who is Gary J. and if I make any changes to settings have I really lost any chance of hearing 'reference' playback?"

JTR Noesis 212HT x 3 (LCR) powered by Lab Gruppen 10000Q amp
CHT SHO-10 x 4 (sides and rear) powered by Denon 4311
JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
Oppo BDP103D bluray player/Sonos/PS3
post #51791 of 71837 Old 03-15-2012, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Boogieman,

From your diagrams, are you thinking about using assymetric placement for the speakers? Meaning the right side speakers would be closer to you than the left side speakers?

If so, that's generally not a good idea. Audyssey will measure and account for the delay differences due to the different distances from each speaker to the MLP, but in my experience, it will still produce odd sounding audio artifacts, especially when there is any audio that pans across the speakers.

BTW, if you would like to hit THX Reference levels at your seating position, you will need either speakers with high sensitivity, or substantial amplifier power (and speakers that can handle it. At my seating position about 3 meters from the speakers, my 89db/w/m speakers need ~400wpc to hit THX Reference cleanly.

Max
post #51792 of 71837 Old 03-15-2012, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooddoc View Post

If a FAQ thread was stickied and locked I also think it would be the best case scenario.

Nope, already been mentioned many times why a locked thread is a bad idea. The thread starter is incapable of modifying or adding anything to a locked thread.

In addition, as I've already mentioned quite a few times, 2 separate active threads is the ideal solution, because it makes it easier to modify the FAQ when any questions are brought up that were not previously answered or thought of. It also gives new users a place to pose those questions if they need further clarification about something in the FAQ.

If an informational addition occurs to those of us with more experience in acoustics and room correction, we can also post a suggestion in the FAQ thread to have it added to the FAQ.

It's a simple matter of differentiating the thread titles so that the FAQ thread invites the newcomers looking for basic setup info, vs this thread for more advanced users, which has a lot more in-depth info on Audyssey, room correction in general and acoustic theory.

Max
post #51793 of 71837 Old 03-15-2012, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 143
OK, doesn't really matter either way to me. Just laying down my current thoughts.

Keith is spearheading this thing and I'll support whatever he decides will work best

JTR Noesis 212HT x 3 (LCR) powered by Lab Gruppen 10000Q amp
CHT SHO-10 x 4 (sides and rear) powered by Denon 4311
JTR S2 x 2
CHT 18.1 x2
Oppo BDP103D bluray player/Sonos/PS3
post #51794 of 71837 Old 03-15-2012, 03:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

At this rate, you will have solved a number of unanswered issues in higher mathematics and physics before Easter.

Yeah - I did wonder whether to tackle Dark Matter first....

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

Great job, Keith!

Thanks - I appreciate it.
SanchoPanza likes this.
post #51795 of 71837 Old 03-15-2012, 03:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post

Thanks for the encouragement Keith!

Here's one more elementary issue. Those who misspell like Udyssey or MultiQue will have to pay a $1 fine. Fine?

Ah yes.... "How does one spell Audyssey and MultEQ?" ....
SanchoPanza likes this.
post #51796 of 71837 Old 03-15-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

Hi Boogieman,

From your diagrams, are you thinking about using assymetric placement for the speakers? Meaning the right side speakers would be closer to you than the left side speakers?

If so, that's generally not a good idea. Audyssey will measure and account for the delay differences due to the different distances from each speaker to the MLP, but in my experience, it will still produce odd sounding audio artifacts, especially when there is any audio that pans across the speakers.

BTW, if you would like to hit THX Reference levels at your seating position, you will need either speakers with high sensitivity, or substantial amplifier power (and speakers that can handle it. At my seating position about 3 meters from the speakers, my 89db/w/m speakers need ~400wpc to hit THX Reference cleanly.

Max

Yes my entrance in the corner requires assymetry to prevent hitting the speaker with the door. I could of course lock that entrance and only use the other one if it is a big sound issue. Is it? I havent mounted anything yet and if it would help sound immensely I would probably sacrifice the entrance

I am more concernet about the Left Wide speaker that gets "behind" the oven...basically it will be in a level below the oven in the pitcure, like in the coner between oven and wall. Could that destroy the DSX idea? Is it maybe better to put it 30cms higher than the front speakers but at least get it above the oven height?

I will probably get(for some $) a pro calibration from a forum guy here in Sweden, will that make a big difference vs the built in automated one?

I was referring to THX video not Audio levels I never play that loud anyway...normally at -20dB for movies to prevent neighbours from planning an Anthrax attack in my mailbox

Thanks for the info DjBlue...is it the same knowledgeble DjBlue that used to be in the Radeon graphic card thread and figuring out how to get the first Radeon HD2600 to offload the CPU? Damn those were the days - took me a year before i got it working and then it was time to update

Thanks
Boogie

Livingroom
JVC DLA-X30@108" 16:9
Denon AVR3805, Emotiva XPA-5
Oppo BDP-93,PS-3,HTPC
JBL Ti6K,Ti1K,XTi20,REL Q150
Bedroom
Pioneer KRP-500M
Denon AVR3802,HTPC
QLN 603,601MK2,Wharfdale DFS
post #51797 of 71837 Old 03-15-2012, 03:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

If a FAQ thread was stickied and locked I also think it would be the best case scenario. But two running threads is probably not a good idea IMO.

That was my main concern. The potential confusion of two threads, double posting etc etc... but I do take Max's point. I think one can make an equally valid argument for both ideas. Let's try it in here for a while and see how it goes - it would easy enough to transfer the entire FAQ to a new thread later if we thought that was best.

Quote:

Keith, a suggestion for the FAQ: "Who is Gary J. and if I make any changes to settings have I really lost any chance of hearing 'reference' playback?"

SanchoPanza likes this.
post #51798 of 71837 Old 03-15-2012, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 43
Quote:

The latest versions of MultEQ have a level setting feature that you use prior to doing the multiple measurements. If you have this, then set the sub volume control so that it reads 75dB on your screen and you are good to go.

I have this feature on my 4311Ci and I set both subs to 75Db (square turns Blue) and my trim levels are still -9.5 on sub #1 and -10.5 on sub#2, The volume is below 25%.

Another question, I think this was stated back a few threads but I cant find it LOL!! When say I want to raise my sub trim levels 3Db...if I do this for each sub that will be 6Db but if I go to where it says sub 1+2 it will only be 3Db....I raised the subs 3db with the 1+2 feature and both trim levels on sub #1 and Sub #2 still went up as normal like it would if I did them seperate?

Klipsch RF82II Fronts & Wides
Klipsch RC64II Center
Klipsch RB61II Heights & Surrounds
2X Elemental design 15" subs W/ O-audio amps
Denon 4311ci
2X Emotiva XPA-5
Samsung D8000 64"
Denon 3313 UBD
Full GIK treatments

New theater under construction!
post #51799 of 71837 Old 03-15-2012, 03:55 PM
Wireless member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:

Keith is spearheading this thing and I'll support whatever he decides will work best

Po-TAY-to, po-TAH-to ... me too.

And thanks, Keith, for your efforts. It is much appreciated.

Jeff
post #51800 of 71837 Old 03-15-2012, 07:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:

Has anyone asked the Mods if they'll allow a 2nd, "stickied" Audyssey-oriented thread?
Quote:

That should be two separate questions.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

post #51801 of 71837 Old 03-15-2012, 08:00 PM
585-645-1006

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 1318
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Has anyone asked the Mods if they'll allow a 2nd, "stickied" Audyssey-oriented thread?

Yes, and no they won't.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #51802 of 71837 Old 03-15-2012, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Europe]Boogiem View Post

Yes my entrance in the corner requires assymetry to prevent hitting the speaker with the door. I could of course lock that entrance and only use the other one if it is a big sound issue. Is it? I havent mounted anything yet and if it would help sound immensely I would probably sacrifice the entrance

I am more concernet about the Left Wide speaker that gets "behind" the oven...basically it will be in a level below the oven in the pitcure, like in the coner between oven and wall. Could that destroy the DSX idea? Is it maybe better to put it 30cms higher than the front speakers but at least get it above the oven height?

I will probably get(for some $) a pro calibration from a forum guy here in Sweden, will that make a big difference vs the built in automated one?

I was referring to THX video not Audio levels I never play that loud anyway...normally at -20dB for movies to prevent neighbours from planning an Anthrax attack in my mailbox

Thanks for the info DjBlue...is it the same knowledgeble DjBlue that used to be in the Radeon graphic card thread and figuring out how to get the first Radeon HD2600 to offload the CPU? Damn those were the days - took me a year before i got it working and then it was time to update

Thanks
Boogie

As far as the effects of asymmetry on the sound, I guess that's potentially one of the things you might have to try for yourself to see if it's something that bothers you personally. I tried it quite some time back and didn't like it. As I said, with an asymmetric arrangement I would hear the difference with any panning sounds and occasionally, even with music etc.

Yes, I would definitely raise the speaker above the oven if you choose to go that route. You need to have a clear line of sight to the tweeter and midrange divers in the speaker. Blocking them with an oven would be bad.

As for the pro-calibration, that would be for someone else to answer as I don't have a pro-capable avr at the moment, so I haven't tried it.

And no, I've never had a Radeon card.

Max
post #51803 of 71837 Old 03-15-2012, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Yes, and no they won't.

How was the request worded? My recommendation was to sticky ONLY the new FAQ thread and unsticky THIS thread.

It's quite likely that they would object to stickying 2 Audyssey threads as it could be construed as 'brand bias', so asking the mods, "Can we make a new Audyssey thread and have it stickied?" would result in a negative.

This thread is huge enough, let it live or die based on activity and participation. Only the FAQ thread would need to be stickied to make it easy for anyone to find when they have Audyssey specific setup questions.

Max
post #51804 of 71837 Old 03-15-2012, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:

That is a great question: "Who IS GaryJ" (Answer: Chief of the "Reference Police")
post #51805 of 71837 Old 03-15-2012, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

That is a great question: "Who IS GaryJ" (Answer: Chief of the "Reference Police")

I thought the answer was "King of the uninformative one-liners"?
post #51806 of 71837 Old 03-15-2012, 08:45 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

How was the request worded? My recommendation was to sticky ONLY the new FAQ thread and unsticky THIS thread.

It's quite likely that they would object to stickying 2 Audyssey threads as it could be construed as 'brand bias', so asking the mods, "Can we make a new Audyssey thread and have it stickied?" would result in a negative.

This thread is huge enough, let it live or die based on activity and participation. Only the FAQ thread would need to be stickied to make it easy for anyone to find when they have Audyssey specific setup questions.

Max

The question was worded as CraigJohn originally asked ... and the answer was that 2 stickied Audyssey threads won't be permitted. As already mentioned, a 2nd Audyssey thread would be too confusing and result in double posting ... not the desired end result. Keith will be developing the FAQ inside of this thread and then at some point may place it in a dedicated "locked" thread, as once locked, cannot be accessed without a mod's intervention.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #51807 of 71837 Old 03-15-2012, 08:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Sorry if this is a repeated (or stupid) question, but I have an Onkyo TX-NR709 and I read in the manual that when the receiver's volume is set to 0 db (relative), it is outputting volume at "THX reference level" (??).

Does this mean that it is outputting sound at 83 db, or 75 db? --> my understanding is that 83 db is "true" reference level, but then I do not understand why when calibrating with Audyssey it tells me to set the subwoofer to 75 db...

post #51808 of 71837 Old 03-15-2012, 08:55 PM
585-645-1006

^^
That would be 85db; however, if the AVR used a 85db test tone it would be extremely loud, so a 75db "test" tone is used instead.

post #51809 of 71837 Old 03-15-2012, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

The question was worded as you originally asked ... and the answer was that 2 stickied Audyssey threads won't be permitted. As already mentioned, a 2nd Audyssey thread would be too confusing and result in double posting ... not the desired end result. Keith will be developing the FAQ inside of this thread and then at some point may place it in a dedicated "locked" thread, as once locked, cannot be accessed without a mod's intervention.

Once again, I NEVER suggested 2 stickied Audyssey related threads. From Day 1, my recommendation was always to create a new stickied thread specifically for the FAQ and setup questions and unsticky THIS current thread.

Title them appropriately so they're easily distinguishable between one for questions regarding Audyssey setup and use vs. this current thread where the topics are much more in-depth and diverse. Direct any setup questions in this thread to the FAQ thread, and direct any acoustic theory questions in that thread to this one (in just the same fashion that general Audyssey questions are answered but Denon specific feature questions are referred to the Denon threads for that particular model).

I guess these concepts must be a lot harder to understand than I'd initially assumed. I don't see this current solution working out very well for very long.

Max
post #51810 of 71837 Old 03-15-2012, 09:09 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Sorry, my mistake. My post was in reply to CraigJohn's post which was "dual" stickied threads. Your suggestion is understood; however, as Keith has been deligated to be the "admin" of the FAQ, as he already noted, this thread will remain "stickied" and he will start developing the FAQ section.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Receivers Amplifiers , Kef Kht1005 2se 5 1 Subwoofer Satellite System With C4 Subwoofer Gloss White , 5 6 7 1 7 2 Or 8 1 8 2 One Or Two Subwoofer Compatible 16 Banana Post 2 Rca Speaker Wall Plate For H
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page