post #57511 of 71907 Old 11-15-2012, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

It's become much more complicated.  Customs seem to believe that I am an Importer (a business) and have asked for various paperwork which I am unable to provide. They will not release the F2s without this. I think that there may have been a problem at the US end as Fedex went back to Seaton Sound and asked for additional documentation, which SS have never been asked to provide before. I suspect this is why Customs here think I am a business importing goods from the US. As I am now embroiled with a UK government department, I fear the subs will never be released! Fedex cannot help because they have been told by Customs that they cannot release the goods to Fedex for delivery without the paperwork (which I am unable to provide). I have also been asked to prepay the duty and tax, which has never happened before - Fedex usually invoice for it after delivery.  IOW, a mess.

To make matters worse, I have sold my existing subs and they will be collected next week, so I will be subless unless this gets sorted soon, which I doubt. Ho hum...

Keith - sorry to hear about your troubles -sounds like a real omnishambles.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #57512 of 71907 Old 11-15-2012, 09:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 1281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theresa View Post

What an awful situation! I certainly am thinking positive thoughts for you, not that I believe that will have any effect!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsantafe View Post

Keith - sorry to hear about your troubles -sounds like a real omnishambles.

Thanks guys. It is a bit trying I will admit - one branch of Customs is telling me they cannot release the subs unless I quote my EORI number (don't ask) and the the other branch of Customs (who issue EORI numbers) is saying I am not eligible for an EORI number as I am an individual and not a business. D'oh!

post #57513 of 71907 Old 11-15-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Quote:

I have also been asked to prepay the duty and tax, which has never happened before - Fedex usually invoice for it after delivery.  

"A Tale of Two Subs: Closing Cameron's Deficit" tongue.gifbiggrin.gif

Ah yes - I’d forgotten who is *really* to blame.... Dave..... :)

post #57514 of 71907 Old 11-15-2012, 09:20 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:

Thanks guys. It is a bit trying I will admit - one branch of Customs is telling me they cannot release the subs unless I quote my EORI number (don't ask) and the the other branch of Customs (who issue EORI numbers) is saying I am not eligible for an EORI number as I am an individual and not a business. D'oh!

Python-esque ...
post #57515 of 71907 Old 11-15-2012, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

Keith,

After shipping many servers and other electronics internationally and watching the various customs droolers, er, inspectors hold them up, I firmly believe you would receive gear faster in boxes labeled "illegal drugs".

Hopefully they resolve it for you soon.
post #57516 of 71907 Old 11-15-2012, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16

Keith, how about asking customs branch #2 to get in contact with customs branch #1 ?

post #57517 of 71907 Old 11-15-2012, 12:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Quote:

Python-esque ...

:)  Yes, I am dreading being sent soon to the Room For The 10 Minute Argument...

post #57518 of 71907 Old 11-15-2012, 12:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfreedma View Post

Quote:

Keith,

After shipping many servers and other electronics internationally and watching the various customs droolers, er, inspectors hold them up, I firmly believe you would receive gear faster in boxes labeled "illegal drugs".

Hopefully they resolve it for you soon.

LOL - that is not a bad idea. Mark the boxes like that, they will get dealt with first - no drugs will be found and they will be on their way toot sweet! :)

post #57519 of 71907 Old 11-15-2012, 12:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gellidius View Post

Keith, how about asking customs branch #2 to get in contact with customs branch #1 ?

Ah, Dear Gellidius.... your faith is touching, but this is England... the country which invented bureaucracy and exported it round the world. The customs people at the airport don't have any means of speaking to the customs people who issue EORI numbers*... "more than my job's worth, guv" I can hear them saying right now. No, I shall have to somehow convince Customs Branch 2 that I am not importing vast quantities of Seaton Submersives, for subsequent resale at a profit and that I am, in truth, a mere basshead who is buying them for personal pleasure (ooh er...). If I can convince them of such, then the next stage will be to try to get something from them in writing which exonerates me from the need for a EORI number and which I can then dangle in front of Customs Branch 1, thus convincing them they can indeed tell Mr Fedex that he can pick the subs up (remembering to lift with the back not the knees) and bring them to my door. The timescale for this is anyone's guess of course, but if it isn't by mid-next week, I will be subless. Imagine....

*By way of illustration, some years ago my company did some work for a government department and they inadvertently paid the invoice twice and we banked the money before realising. We contacted them to advise them and to ask where we should send the cheque for repayment. Stunned silence. After a few moments, the person on the other end said "we don't actually have any mechanism for receiving money..." and said they would get back to us later. They never did and we kept the money, earmarked in our accounts. After 6 years, we just spent it :)

post #57520 of 71907 Old 11-15-2012, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 63
" but this is England... the country which invented bureaucracy and exported it round the world "

Now that is funny!
However; proudly displayed on a bulletin board in my office is another fine example of bureaucracy, or "penny wise / pound foolish",
A paper refund check for exactly 2 cents (yes $00.02 usd) from AT&T (formerly the worlds largest telephone company).........

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #57521 of 71907 Old 11-15-2012, 01:36 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Ah, Dear Gellidius.... the person on the other end said "we don't actually have any mechanism for receiving money..." and said they would get back to us later. They never did and we kept the money, earmarked in our accounts. After 6 years, we just spent it smile.gif

I feel for you Keith. Someone will probably read this and come for you now WITH INTEREST. My Uncle Sam certainly would. smile.gif

B&W 804D2, B&W HTM4 center, LSiFX surrounds, HSU sub, Onkyo TX-NR3010, Parasound Halo A31, NAD t975
post #57522 of 71907 Old 11-15-2012, 01:47 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Quote:

Ah, Dear Gellidius.... your faith is touching, but this is England... the country which invented bureaucracy and exported it round the world. The customs people at the airport don't have any means of speaking to the customs people who issue EORI numbers*... "more than my job's worth, guv" I can hear them saying right now. No, I shall have to somehow convince Customs Branch 2 that I am not importing vast quantities of Seaton Submersives, for subsequent resale at a profit and that I am, in truth, a mere basshead who is buying them for personal pleasure (ooh er...). If I can convince them of such, then the next stage will be to try to get something from them in writing which exonerates me from the need for a EORI number and which I can then dangle in front of Customs Branch 1, thus convincing them they can indeed tell Mr Fedex that he can pick the subs up (remembering to lift with the back not the knees) and bring them to my door. The timescale for this is anyone's guess of course, but if it isn't by mid-next week, I will be subless. Imagine....

*By way of illustration, some years ago my company did some work for a government department and they inadvertently paid the invoice twice and we banked the money before realising. We contacted them to advise them and to ask where we should send the cheque for repayment. Stunned silence. After a few moments, the person on the other end said "we don't actually have any mechanism for receiving money..." and said they would get back to us later. They never did and we kept the money, earmarked in our accounts. After 6 years, we just spent it :)

Ah, Dear Keith... ;-)

i know a bit of England from readings, and also for having lived there about 3 months.

But, i never thought that your country had invented bureaucracy because once, while in London, i went to the Indian consulate with a friend, and while i was in there, i walked around a bit and thought:

Wow, the whole building seems to be a giant train load of papers! 

there, every desk was covered with 5 ft piles of dossiers and they were also everywhere on top of filing cabinets, sometimes right up to the ceiling.

i had never seen the like and have not since.

But! i loved England and the people, and would have loved to stay there for longer.

post #57523 of 71907 Old 11-15-2012, 02:24 PM

Liked: 10

I am using
Denon AVR-2113ci

Samsung UN55D6900

2X Energy CF-70 Front Floor Speakers
1X Energy CC-10 Center Speaker
4X Energy CB-5 Surround Speakers
1X Klipsch 10" 450 Watt Subwoofer

Will the Audyssey calibration be effective in this kind of setup.

Also, the two rear sorrounds and right side surround are mounted to my wall, with my left side surround being on a bookshelf about 2 feet below the level of the other 3. Will this majorly impact the calibration, or will audyssey take this into account?
post #57524 of 71907 Old 11-15-2012, 02:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarmillMan View Post

Quote:

Ah, Dear Gellidius.... the person on the other end said "we don't actually have any mechanism for receiving money..." and said they would get back to us later. They never did and we kept the money, earmarked in our accounts. After 6 years, we just spent it smile.gif

I feel for you Keith. Someone will probably read this and come for you now WITH INTEREST. My Uncle Sam certainly would. smile.gif

LOL!  Well they can try - but it was more than 25 years ago and the company is no longer in business :)

post #57525 of 71907 Old 11-15-2012, 02:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Ah, Dear Keith... ;-)

i know a bit of England from readings, and also for having lived there about 3 months.

But, i never thought that your country had invented bureaucracy because once, while in London, i went to the Indian consulate with a friend, and while i was in there, i walked around a bit and thought:

Wow, the whole building seems to be a giant train load of papers! 

there, every desk was covered with 5 ft piles of dossiers and they were also everywhere on top of filing cabinets, sometimes right up to the ceiling.

i had never seen the like and have not since.

But! i loved England and the people, and would have loved to stay there for longer.

Ah yes... India.... of course it wasn't like that until we took over there and ruled their country - they were very quick leaners about paperwork :) 

post #57526 of 71907 Old 11-15-2012, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Sorry to hear about the customs fiasco. Obviously non-bassheads. The typical non-basshead goes, "Now why on earth would one person need TWO gigantic subwoofers? They must be reselling them. No one would get more than one subwoofer for personal use". Good thing you're not like some of these nutters (and I mean that in a good way) here with large rooms who bought 4 Submersives. There's NO way you would ever be able to convince customs that yes, all 4 gigantic subs are for your personal use in one room.

Max
post #57527 of 71907 Old 11-15-2012, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
can someone please give me a clear answer, when using the PANDORA app thats built in to the 818, do u guys enable DYNAMICEQ for that mode or leave it off? and if u do have dynamic eq on for music playing in Pandora, what do you set the REFERENCE level offset to for dynamic EQ?

i am also having a difficult time choosing a reference level offset for dynamic Eq for my xbox 360 source, what would be the most "correct" setting to choose for gaming, 5 , 10 or 15?
post #57528 of 71907 Old 11-15-2012, 06:46 PM

I am confused. Even though I have a subwoofer connected and being tested through the Audyssey calibration, it still set my front speakers to Large. Why did it do this, and how do I manually set the Front speakers to small without taking off the Audyssey calibration?

I would like to set it to small and than re-run Audyssey.
post #57529 of 71907 Old 11-15-2012, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktrio730 View Post

I am confused. Even though I have a subwoofer connected and being tested through the Audyssey calibration, it still set my front speakers to Large. Why did it do this, and how do I manually set the Front speakers to small without taking off the Audyssey calibration?

Audyssey is passing information to the AVR with regards to how well the main speakers can reproduce low frequencies. For speakers with extended range, it is not unusual for the AVR to set the speakers to large. The conventional wisdom is to set the speakers to small to allow the subwoofer to handle the low frequencies, and to set a crossover value for the mains to your liking. Many people start with 80hz. Setting the main speakers to small does not affect the Audyssey calibration--it still remains active.

Edit: Do not manually set the speakers to small and re-run Audyssey. Audyssey ignores any settings in the AVR when it is doing the calibration, so setting the speakers to small before the calibration has no impact whatsoever, and would be a waste of your time.
post #57530 of 71907 Old 11-15-2012, 09:48 PM

Ok. Now I have a new problem though. My rear surrounds have fallen off the face of the planet. I was messing around in the settings trying to turn the speakers small in manual mode. I made sure that the rears were set up not for zone two, but for rear surround. The test sounds work with the rears, as well as my directv, but my ps3 and xbox are only playing 5.1 now. What the hell did I do?

Even after I reset the crossover's, still, same problem...
post #57531 of 71907 Old 11-16-2012, 02:41 AM
585-645-1006

Quoted: 401 Post(s)
Liked: 1342
Quote:

Audyssey doesn't set the speakers to LARGE rather the AVR does, so simply use the "Speakers - Manual Setup" menu (p. 115 OM) to reset them to SMALL/80Hz without impacting the Audyssey calibration.

Quote:

Ok. Now I have a new problem though. My rear surrounds have fallen off the face of the planet. I was messing around in the settings trying to turn the speakers small in manual mode. I made sure that the rears were set up not for zone two, but for rear surround. The test sounds work with the rears, as well as my directv, but my ps3 and xbox are only playing 5.1 now. What the hell did I do?

Set "Amp Assign" to "Surround Back" (p. 86 OM).

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #57532 of 71907 Old 11-16-2012, 06:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa View Post

can someone please give me a clear answer, when using the PANDORA app thats built in to the 818, do u guys enable DYNAMICEQ for that mode or leave it off? and if u do have dynamic eq on for music playing in Pandora, what do you set the REFERENCE level offset to for dynamic EQ?

i am also having a difficult time choosing a reference level offset for dynamic Eq for my xbox 360 source, what would be the most "correct" setting to choose for gaming, 5 , 10 or 15?

the answer is the same here as you got everywhere else you asked this question....

it's personal preference... try it and see which one you prefer...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #57533 of 71907 Old 11-16-2012, 06:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
@ktrio...

yes, audyssey will "work"...

that being said... can "we" move the room around? your current layout is far from "optimal"...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #57534 of 71907 Old 11-16-2012, 06:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

the answer is the same here as you got everywhere else you asked this question....
it's personal preference... try it and see which one you prefer...

+1. To identify the correct offset you would have to know the effective reference level of the material. We know that with movies, at least if they are not remastered for home distribution. But we do not know that for any single musical production, and they are all different from each other. Nor d I know, personally, what additional processing Pandora uses that might further change the unknown effective reference level. My solution is to use the system pretty conservatively. I have an older receiver, but my reference level offset equivalent is always at least 10 dB for music. Try it and see if you prefer that or find it bass shy sometimes, in which case try less offset.
post #57535 of 71907 Old 11-16-2012, 06:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

Sorry to hear about the customs fiasco. Obviously non-bassheads. The typical non-basshead goes, "Now why on earth would one person need TWO gigantic subwoofers? They must be reselling them. No one would get more than one subwoofer for personal use". Good thing you're not like some of these nutters (and I mean that in a good way) here with large rooms who bought 4 Submersives. There's NO way you would ever be able to convince customs that yes, all 4 gigantic subs are for your personal use in one room.

Max

Hahaha. Good point Max. I am getting pretty fed up with it now TBH - there is no progress at all so far. We'll have to see what next week brings.

post #57536 of 71907 Old 11-16-2012, 06:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

No need to be confused - just read this:

c)1.   Why are my Crossovers set differently to my speaker manufacturer's specification?

c)2.   Why do I often see advice to raise the Crossovers to 80Hz?

c)3.   I have big tower speakers at the front. Shouldn't I set these to Large'?

post #57537 of 71907 Old 11-16-2012, 06:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

If the source is 5.1 you'll need to choose a DSP that matrixes the sound to the rear surround channels - such as PLIIx for example. If the test tones work OK and Audyssey found the rears too, the the setup is correct.

post #57538 of 71907 Old 11-16-2012, 10:20 AM

I figured that was the case, the problem is, I can't figure out how to do it lol. I have the Denon 2113ci, and I've looked over the on screen menus, the options, the remotes, etc. I can't figure out how to change the playback to something like the PLIIx. Whenever I change inputs, the current playback mode will show on the AVR's screen, but I can't change it. I bet its something very simple, and I feel quite dumb for having this issue (I knew how to change modes on my old Onkyo HTIaB), but maybe I'm missing something?

Let me go a tiny bit further. I would like, for example, that when I put the PS3 on with a 5.1 movie, that it will have the mode that matrixes to all 7 speakers. When I decide to put in a 7.1 movie, I would like the Denon to automatically (or at least for me to know how to) switch to 7.1 play.

Especially for my xbox, when I'm playing a game like Call of Duty, I much prefer to have all the speakers in action. It was working for awhile, and after I tinkered a bit yesterday, now no matter what I do I can't get it past the 5.1. Do I have it set wrong for how I want it? I guess I have it set for 5.1 with no matrixing to the rear surrounds.
post #57539 of 71907 Old 11-16-2012, 10:29 AM

And one final question, I noticed when I looked into the all the data Audyssey collected, that it had every speaker set between -8 and -12. I remember reading in this post's guide that that is not ideal, so what can I do about it and why did it happen? Or should I just leave it alone?

On a side note, the distances it calculated for how far the speakers were away from the center listening area were all very accurate except for the sub, which is said was 19 feet away, when it was more like 7-8 feet. I once again read in the guide that this is not an issue, but let me ask this... When I am running Audyssey, what should I have the two buttons on the back of my sub controlling volume and crossover at? I am assuming right in the middle but figured I'd ask.

Thanks a ton for your help!
post #57540 of 71907 Old 11-16-2012, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Hit the button called 'Standard'.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Receivers Amplifiers , Kef Kht1005 2se 5 1 Subwoofer Satellite System With C4 Subwoofer Gloss White , 5 6 7 1 7 2 Or 8 1 8 2 One Or Two Subwoofer Compatible 16 Banana Post 2 Rca Speaker Wall Plate For H
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page