Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by a1sy View Post

Here are alarming list
1. SW distance is wrong

No, it's correct because it's correcting for the filter you have engaged in the sub. Turn it up to the highest possible frequency if you can't bypass it.
Quote:

2. SW level shows "-12db"

Turn down your volume on the sub. It is set too high and the Denon is running out of range for setting the trim.
Quote:

3. Front and Center Speaker set to 40Hz crossover as Large, when Freq is 44-22khz.

Denon uses 40 Hz to call a speaker Large. Yours is right on the limit of that decision. By definition, speakers set to Large do not send bass content to the sub. Change it to Small and 60 Hz. Audyssey recommends doing away with the Large notion altogether and we hope to convince manufacturers of that.
Quote:

4. SW almost not noticible.
When I change crossover to 80Hz have a lot of SW.

This is because the Large speakers are not sending their content to the sub. Change them to Small. Unfortunately Audyssey doesn't get to decide what is Large and Small so we have to continue pounding on this until everyone understands what an antiquated idea Large and Small really is.

Chris

Chris

Join me for Audyssey Tech Talk on Facebook here.
Follow me @ChrisAudyssey on Twitter here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6062 of 72503 Old 08-24-2008, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Im kinda of a newb in this specific topic. When you say auddysey, I assume you are talking about some sorta stand alone EQ and NOT the audyssey EQ that comes in receivers such as, per say, mine. ?(onkyo 606)
post #6063 of 72503 Old 08-24-2008, 11:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post

i have a 10x12 room, its small so how many should i run? as of right now i have 6 positions saved. also when i get my tripod should i place it on top of my bed? or should i move the bed out the way? and is it a good idea to cover up reflection points? i was thinking of covering up my tables and drawer's with blankets....also forgot to ask does the mic have to be at the same level of the speakers tweeters? before when i ran it i had it way higher.

6 positions are fine for your room. They should be close to tweeter height if possible. Leave the bed in place, start in the center, then move to the left and right of that by about 2'. Then move forward 2' and take three more measurements with the same spacing. That should be all you need to do.

Chris

Chris

post #6064 of 72503 Old 08-24-2008, 11:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkleafar View Post

Im kinda of a newb in this specific topic. When you say auddysey, I assume you are talking about some sorta stand alone EQ and NOT the audyssey EQ that comes in receivers such as, per say, mine. ?(onkyo 606)

Audyssey is the company. MultEQ is the software inside receivers and processors that runs the room correction algorithms. The Sound Equalizer is the stand-alone hardware box that runs MultEQ in a system that has a separate preamp and amp. MultEQ Pro is the PC software that installers use to calibrate with more features than what is available in the built-in consumer versions of MultEQ.

Quiz next week.

Chris

Chris

post #6065 of 72503 Old 08-24-2008, 11:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by audyssey View Post

Audyssey is the company. MultEQ is the software inside receivers and processors that runs the room correction algorithms. The Sound Equalizer is the stand-alone hardware box that runs MultEQ in a system that has a separate preamp and amp. MultEQ Pro is the PC software that installers use to calibrate with more features that what is available in the built-in consumer versions of MultEQ.

Quiz next week.

Chris

*studies* and so what is the current topic on the couple of posts above?
post #6066 of 72503 Old 08-24-2008, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkleafar View Post

*studies* and so what is the current topic on the couple of posts above?

The recent posts (actually most on this thread) have been about MultEQ in receivers.

Chris

Chris

post #6067 of 72503 Old 08-24-2008, 11:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Unfortunately Audyssey doesn't get to decide what is Large and Small so we have to continue pounding on this until everyone understands what an antiquated idea Large and Small really is.

You mean that when bass is concerned, only a sub is "large" enough
post #6068 of 72503 Old 08-25-2008, 12:03 AM

Quote:

You can most certainly EQ the sub using MultEQ XT in the 4308. In fact, the sub filter created is 8x the resolution of the main channel. Are you not hearing the chirps from the sub when you run MultEQ XT? And yes, the 4308 CI is enabled to run MultEQ Pro.

Can you please elaborate on this a bit? From your web site I had understood that both MultEQ and MultEQ XT use 8x filters for the sub, and 2x and 8x filters for the other channels, respectively. From what you wrote above I get the impression that XT has 64x resolution for the sub (8x the satellite resolution), is this the case?

Also, relating to this, as it seems XT implementations run 1 more DSP: Is there addiotional delay on the audio path due to the separate DSP? How much? This might be an issue for gaming.

Thanks!
post #6069 of 72503 Old 08-25-2008, 12:10 AM

I've been wondering how Audyssey works with the biamped front L/R speakers. In a simple case the same pre-amplified signal is fed for both amps for each speaker, and there is nothing more to it. This way the un-used pre-amp channels are kind of wasted.

Another option would be to use two pre-amp and amp channels for each bi-amped speaker. This way audyssey could have a dedicated filter for the tweeter and the midrange/bass. Somehow I feel this is not the case. Anyone ever contemplated this?
post #6070 of 72503 Old 08-25-2008, 12:17 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarno View Post

You mean that when bass is concerned, only a sub is "large" enough

In my book a "large" satellite is one that simply doesn't need help from a sub. Most of us want our systems to reach down to about 20 Hz. Because satellites that can do that are very rare, virtually all satellites are "small" and need help from a sub.

Another perspective: If a system has a sub that can reach lower than any satellite in the system, then all satellites are small. If a system does not have a sub, then typically the mains are large and all other satellites are "small."

And, there are some other reasons to set all satellites to small and run a sub, even if the mains can reach as low as the sub.

Ergo, setting a speaker to large or small based on it's -3db point as most receivers do makes little sense. If you have a sub, small versus large is a "system" setup issue. Unfortunately Receivers and preamps don't automate this system setup, though some cover it fairly well in the manual.

Harrison
post #6071 of 72503 Old 08-25-2008, 12:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Hi Chris,

Quote:

The curves (not curve--it is a family of curves that vary with level) is based on a combination of all of the above and modified based on extensive listening evaluations in calibrated rooms and systems.

In addition to monitoring the volume control, Dynamic EQ also estimates the perceived loudness of each channel in real time. That's because a soft passage and a loud passage need different amounts of loudness correction as the master volume is turned down and this changes moment-by-moment.

One of the key enablers was actually MultEQ. You can have the world's best curves, but if you don't have knowledge of the absolute SPL level then you don't know what curve to be on!

Finally, part of our listening panels involved professional mixers. We found that when the volume was being turned down they were turning up the surround levels. It turns out that loudness has a spatial dependence and it actually rolls off faster from the rear hemisphere. So Dynamic EQ adjusts the surround channel levels as the master volume is turned down. It uses a model that we derived from recording the actions of professional mixers.

Chris

Beyond brand names or NDAs... , is there a "fundamental" difference that should be looked after, between THX Ultra2 Plus (aka THX Volume) processing and Audyssey's own Dynamic EQ?

Hugo
post #6072 of 72503 Old 08-25-2008, 05:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:

6 positions are fine for your room. They should be close to tweeter height if possible. Leave the bed in place, start in the center, then move to the left and right of that by about 2'. Then move forward 2' and take three more measurements with the same spacing. That should be all you need to do.

Chris

Hey Chris,

You mentioned going sideways for second and third position. However what I have done is, to take measurement of main listening as position 1, and the one in front (2 feet) as second, then the left side as 3rd and in front of it as 4th.
Would this matter? Does it have to be in the specific order (apart from the first position being main listening position).
post #6073 of 72503 Old 08-25-2008, 05:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 94
You will find all of those answers here.
post #6074 of 72503 Old 08-25-2008, 06:14 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:

This is because the Large speakers are not sending their content to the sub. Change them to Small. Unfortunately Audyssey doesn't get to decide what is Large and Small so we have to continue pounding on this until everyone understands what an antiquated idea Large and Small really is.

All your crossovers are belong to us.
post #6075 of 72503 Old 08-25-2008, 06:21 AM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post

It is now linked in my sig . . .
post #6076 of 72503 Old 08-25-2008, 06:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

It is now linked in my sig . . .

Can you make it like a flashing neon light?
post #6077 of 72503 Old 08-25-2008, 06:37 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

Can you make it like a flashing neon light?

It would need that and a small club that emerges and bonks people over the head when they pop in and ask something basic without searching . . . or even reading their manual.
post #6078 of 72503 Old 08-25-2008, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quick questions. After reading through this alot, it seems as if I should always move the mic for at least the 2nd and 3rd measurements. Even if I only have 1 "sweet spot" that I care about?

I ran it a couple times the other day before reading and kept the mic in the sweet spot for all 3 measurements. It seemed to do a decent job, but I got some screwy x-over settings for my surrounds on the first run, and then screwy settings for the surrounds and surround backs the 2nd time. I have since adjusted to x-over settings for the surrounds and surround backs.

It also set my sub distance about 2.5 feet farther away than it actually is. I have a Paradigm Servo15 v1 and it doesnt include an LPF adjustment knob.

1. Based off of this thread, should I just go back and do the first 3 measurements at the recommended positions and roll with it?

2. Is it pretty common to have to change the crossover settings? (ie: on last run, it set all of my speakers as "full band" when I know that my SB channels should be set at about 60hz. The time before that, it crossed over my surrounds at 150hz (should be around 40hz))

Thanks
post #6079 of 72503 Old 08-25-2008, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quick question, since a BFD is in line after Audessey, then if I don't like how Audessey adjusted my sub I can still tweak it with BFD to get it just right? Or should I not use Audessey and BFD together? Is there any way to not have audessey do any adjusting to the sub by not having it plugged in while the audessey runs and then plugging it back in afterwards? I want to use Audessey for the 5.0 but I would rather use the BFD for the sub.

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
post #6080 of 72503 Old 08-25-2008, 07:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

Quick question, since a BFD is in line after Audessey, then if I don't like how Audessey adjusted my sub I can still tweak it with BFD to get it just right? Or should I not use Audessey and BFD together? Is there any way to not have audessey do any adjusting to the sub by not having it plugged in while the audessey runs and then plugging it back in afterwards? I want to use Audessey for the 5.0 but I would rather use the BFD for the sub.

Remove the BFD and Let Audyssey do it all and see if you like it. If you do not like it...add the BFD and tweak the sub as needed.

Yes, you can tweak your sub after Audyssey is run.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #6081 of 72503 Old 08-25-2008, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can you please elaborate on this a bit? From your web site I had understood that both MultEQ and MultEQ XT use 8x filters for the sub, and 2x and 8x filters for the other channels, respectively. From what you wrote above I get the impression that XT has 64x resolution for the sub (8x the satellite resolution), is this the case?

Also, relating to this, as it seems XT implementations run 1 more DSP: Is there addiotional delay on the audio path due to the separate DSP? How much? This might be an issue for gaming.

Thanks!

Both MultEQ and MultEQ XT have the same subwoofer resolution. It is equal to 8x the resolution of the main channels in MultEQ XT.

Each manufacturer decides on how to integrate MultEQ XT in their system. It depends on what other processes they have decided to integrate and the total available MIPS on the chip they decided to use. Some products have everything on one DSP and others use more than one. MultEQ XT only requires a fraction of 1 DSP. Yes, adding DSP chips will add to the system delay. The delay depends on the architecture of the chip, but is usually about 15 ms per chip.

Chris

Chris

post #6082 of 72503 Old 08-25-2008, 07:53 AM

Currently there is no way to check the corrections to the sub (curve) that AUDYSSEY is setting, can it be implemented in a future update please.

Regards
Michael

Quote:

Hi Brian,

You can most certainly EQ the sub using MultEQ XT in the 4308. In fact, the sub filter created is 8x the resolution of the main channel. Are you not hearing the chirps from the sub when you run MultEQ XT? And yes, the 4308 CI is enabled to run MultEQ Pro.

How many mic positions did you use and where did you place the mic?

Chris

post #6083 of 72503 Old 08-25-2008, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've been wondering how Audyssey works with the biamped front L/R speakers. In a simple case the same pre-amplified signal is fed for both amps for each speaker, and there is nothing more to it. This way the un-used pre-amp channels are kind of wasted.

Another option would be to use two pre-amp and amp channels for each bi-amped speaker. This way audyssey could have a dedicated filter for the tweeter and the midrange/bass. Somehow I feel this is not the case. Anyone ever contemplated this?

In our OEM implementations we have solutions that can address individual speaker drivers. But in the consumer versions, the software only looks at the crossover between the main channels and the subwoofer.

Chris

Chris

post #6084 of 72503 Old 08-25-2008, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zweihalbehahn View Post

Currently there is no way to check the corrections to the sub (curve) that AUDYSSEY is setting, can it be implemented in a future update please.

Regards
Michael

Hi Michael,

The curves for the sub are available in the Pro software and can be viewed on the computer. However, manufacturers have not yet decided to add them to the on-screen display. Unfortunately, we don't get to control this. But we will try to push for it because it results in confusion about whether there is subwoofer EQ going on.

Thanks for the feedback.
Chris

Chris

post #6085 of 72503 Old 08-25-2008, 08:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 30
Quote:

$60 Mic, Notebook and USB soundcard (running XP) and free software like REW (RoomWizard EQ) will give you all the measurements you need, no need to waste lots of money on something we can do ourselves.

It is not "open-minded" to reject knowledge - Bob Lee
post #6086 of 72503 Old 08-25-2008, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray View Post

$60 Mic, Notebook and USB soundcard (running XP) and free software like REW (RoomWizard EQ) will give you all the measurements you need, no need to waste lots of money on something we can do ourselves.

True. Just make sure you take several measurements in the listening area and then average them. A single measurement is pointless, particularly for bass performance.

Chris

Chris

post #6087 of 72503 Old 08-25-2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodshed View Post

Quick questions. After reading through this alot, it seems as if I should always move the mic for at least the 2nd and 3rd measurements. Even if I only have 1 "sweet spot" that I care about?

I ran it a couple times the other day before reading and kept the mic in the sweet spot for all 3 measurements. It seemed to do a decent job, but I got some screwy x-over settings for my surrounds on the first run, and then screwy settings for the surrounds and surround backs the 2nd time. I have since adjusted to x-over settings for the surrounds and surround backs.

It also set my sub distance about 2.5 feet farther away than it actually is. I have a Paradigm Servo15 v1 and it doesnt include an LPF adjustment knob.

1. Based off of this thread, should I just go back and do the first 3 measurements at the recommended positions and roll with it?

2. Is it pretty common to have to change the crossover settings? (ie: on last run, it set all of my speakers as "full band" when I know that my SB channels should be set at about 60hz. The time before that, it crossed over my surrounds at 150hz (should be around 40hz))

Thanks

Answers are summarized well here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post14456895
post #6088 of 72503 Old 08-25-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodshed View Post

I ran it a couple times the other day before reading and kept the mic in the sweet spot for all 3 measurements.

Thanks

Keeping the mic in the same spot and taking 3 measurements doesn't really accomplish much. You would be better off taking a sampling of points around the sweet spot, rather than 3 in the exact same spots since the more information about the area you feed Audyssey the better the results. That said, Chris has said on a few occasions that even for one primary location you are better off taking a sampling of listening points about 2 feet apart as described in the guide in this thread(look back a few pages).

Regarding, the crossover-- yes it's pretty common to have to change it. The crossover is not set by Audyssey but the manufacturer based on what Audyssey reports to it.
post #6089 of 72503 Old 08-25-2008, 08:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:

It turns out that loudness has a spatial dependence and it actually rolls off faster from the rear hemisphere. So Dynamic EQ adjusts the surround channel levels as the master volume is turned down.

All one needs do to understand this is to look at the human pinna (the part of the ear that one sees).

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #6090 of 72503 Old 08-25-2008, 08:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:

This should be linked in the first post of this thread for new arrivals.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Receivers Amplifiers , Kef Kht1005 2se 5 1 Subwoofer Satellite System With C4 Subwoofer Gloss White , 5 6 7 1 7 2 Or 8 1 8 2 One Or Two Subwoofer Compatible 16 Banana Post 2 Rca Speaker Wall Plate For H
Gear in this thread - Kht1005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page