post #65251 of 72391 Old 09-29-2013, 07:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

This is starting to sound a little OCD to me. Luv it! biggrin.gif

That is pretty much the case with 80% of the content of the entire AVS forums.

OCD AVphiles find tips and tricks that help normal and laid back people setup quality audio and video? Absolutely every day. Three cheers for the OCD among us! :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #65252 of 72391 Old 09-29-2013, 07:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1449 Post(s)
Liked: 1715
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Run another cal with the slightly different mic positions suggested in the last several posts and see if you can improve it. Remember that with both Denon and Onkyo units, you can store the last calibration, so you can easily go back to it if the new one disappoints:

a)6.   Is it possible to save and recall an Audyssey MultEQ calibration?

Thanks. I have to learn how to save these from my Marantz, it doesn't sound very hard. Although my 4 runs on Friday sounded very similar while varying mic positions from a tight pattern and broadening them by a foot or so. Audyssey came up with exactly the same distances and XO points each time. I'm going to look into saving my calibrations and REW this week. One thing I know is my room needs some treatments.

I think the Marantz procedure is the same as the Denon isn't it?  (If someone confirms that I will add the comment to the FAQ).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #65253 of 72391 Old 09-29-2013, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 409
I will admit REW looks a little over my skill level. This is why I resisted it, and the fact I fear my room is so screwed up I'll go nuts trying to get it "right"
This said I'm game to try it.
post #65254 of 72391 Old 09-29-2013, 07:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterfram View Post

Quote:

This is starting to sound a little OCD to me. Luv it! biggrin.gif

That is pretty much the case with 80% of the content of the entire AVS forums.

OCD AVphiles find tips and tricks that help normal and laid back people setup quality audio and video? Absolutely every day. Three cheers for the OCD among us! :-)

Good point.

post #65255 of 72391 Old 09-29-2013, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think the Marantz procedure is the same as the Denon isn't it?  (If someone confirms that I will add the comment to the FAQ).

Joel said I can save it from Audyssey's home page I believe. How quickly can you swap your different calibrations to compare?
post #65256 of 72391 Old 09-29-2013, 07:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I will admit REW looks a little over my skill level. This is why I resisted it, and the fact I fear my room is so screwed up I'll go nuts trying to get it "right"
This said I'm game to try it.

I am sure you have the skill level needed. Jerry's Guide is your first port of call. Whatever difficulties you encounter will be overcome with help in the thread. Your room may be better, or worse, than you think - learning to measure it with REW won't change that, but it will tell you how practical/easy/difficult/impossible it is to improve it. Often just relocating speakers and subs can make a significant difference. Go for it!

post #65257 of 72391 Old 09-29-2013, 07:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:

Joel said I can save it from Audyssey's home page I believe. How quickly can you swap your different calibrations to compare?

IDK for Denon/Marantz. I believe their web interface is quite slow to reload earlier cals - but it has the advantage, IIRC, that you can save more than one. With Onkyo, you can recall a stored set of settings at the push of a button, but the unit only stores one set, so it is of limited use. I wasn't so much suggesting you use the feature to compare cals, as to save a cal that you really like in case the next cal gets screwed up somehow and you hate the result. Can happen.

post #65258 of 72391 Old 09-29-2013, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 161

It takes several minutes (5-10) to do each Network Save.  I label the file on the HD with date and identifying details.  A separate log is nice for the OCD crowd, especially if you will be A/Bing.  ;) 

Network Load takes about the same time, may be a bit faster.  This is based on my experience with Denons.  I presume Marantz  would be very much the same.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #65259 of 72391 Old 09-29-2013, 08:29 AM

There was a recent post here on how to save the config on a Denon. Takes about 12 minutes. It is a quirky process that I couldn't get to work until the details were posted. You can save configs and rename them, but you need to rename each config to "config.dat" before you load it. Apparently config(1).dat does not work for example.
post #65260 of 72391 Old 09-29-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

It takes several minutes (5-10) to do each Network Save.  I label the file on the HD with date and identifying details.  A separate log is nice for the OCD crowd, especially if you will be A/Bing.  wink.gif  

Network Load takes about the same time, may be a bit faster.  This is based on my experience with Denons.  I presume Marantz  would be very much the same.

Not bad, but I think it should be an option right from the AVR or pre. Good thing I'm not designing gear or the features would drive the price way up wink.gif
post #65261 of 72391 Old 09-29-2013, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am sure you have the skill level needed. Jerry's Guide is your first port of call. Whatever difficulties you encounter will be overcome with help in the thread. Your room may be better, or worse, than you think - learning to measure it with REW won't change that, but it will tell you how practical/easy/difficult/impossible it is to improve it. Often just relocating speakers and subs can make a significant difference. Go for it!

Thanks for the boost of confidence Keith and I will look into Jerry's guide first.
kbarnes701 likes this.
post #65262 of 72391 Old 09-29-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterfram View Post

You can save configs and rename them, but you need to rename each config to "config.dat" before you load it. Apparently config(1).dat does not work for example.

Changing the name back to "Config.dat" is not a requirement, Peter. For example, I name my saved configuration files "Config_MM-DD-YYYY.dat". I never have trouble re-loading the files without re-naming them.

However, I am not saying that some special characters might cause the restore to fail. In your example, you use parentheses, which I have not tried. I guess the right advice would be to try the restore and if it doesn't work, try re-naming the file.

post #65263 of 72391 Old 09-29-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not bad, but I think it should be an option right from the AVR or pre. Good thing I'm not designing gear or the features would drive the price way up wink.gif

What do you mean? The network save is initiated from the AVR's web page. How could it be easier than that?

post #65264 of 72391 Old 09-29-2013, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What do you mean? The network save is initiated from the AVR's web page. How could it be easier than that?

I never tried, but I will be soon smile.gif
post #65265 of 72391 Old 09-29-2013, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

Thanks for the boost of confidence Keith and I will look into Jerry's guide first.

Comfy - I had the same sense of feeling that REW was way over my level of competency - but as Keith has noted - Jerry's guide is super helpful, and forum members are quick to jump in and assist if you run into problems. the benefits far outweigh the concerns. Even if you don't pursue all of the options that REW offers - at the very least you get a very clear view of the acoustical properties of your room. It's worth pursuing and the costs are minimal - certainly far less then cost of new speakers and/or subwoofers. Screw your courage to the sticking post.
kbarnes701 likes this.

post #65266 of 72391 Old 09-29-2013, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsantafe View Post

Comfy - I had the same sense of feeling that REW was way over my level of competency - but as Keith has noted - Jerry's guide is super helpful, and forum members are quick to jump in and assist if you run into problems. the benefits far outweigh the concerns. Even if you don't pursue all of the options that REW offers - at the very least you get a very clear view of the acoustical properties of your room. It's worth pursuing and the costs are minimal - certainly far less then cost of new speakers and/or subwoofers. Screw your courage to the sticking post.

I think I can handle it with some help, it is the graphs that I'll need help deciphering. But like you said there are some good guys willing to help out here so I know I'm in good hands. I need to read Jerry's guide and subscribe to the REW thread. I'm actually dying to know if my room is as bad as I think it is.
post #65267 of 72391 Old 09-29-2013, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 402
Don't do it! Resist...

biggrin.gif
post #65268 of 72391 Old 09-29-2013, 06:05 PM

Quote:

Changing the name back to "Config.dat" is not a requirement, Peter. For example, I name my saved configuration files "Config_MM-DD-YYYY.dat". I never have trouble re-loading the files without re-naming them.

However, I am not saying that some special characters might cause the restore to fail. In your example, you use parentheses, which I have not tried. I guess the right advice would be to try the restore and if it doesn't work, try re-naming the file.

You are probably right about the special characters. There was a blurb in the post I linked about naming it correctly. I didn't test it. I just save it as config.dat and then rename it. The process takes long enough to keep me from testing it!
post #65269 of 72391 Old 10-01-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Hey, I have a question for all of you experienced, knowledgeable Audyssey types. Have any of you that have measuring equipment, or I guess even if you don't, ever experimented with comparing a single MLP calibration to an 8pt traditional calibration? I don't mean what Chris says, but have any of you actually compared the results for yourselves, and if so, what did you find?

I'm just curious is all. cool.gif

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
post #65270 of 72391 Old 10-01-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Do you mean a single measurement at the MLP?  Or perhaps eight measurements (or less) without moving the mic?

While I haven't tried and measured this, I have done what we call a "tight grouping", which is varying the mic by only 3" in each direction.  The result:  flatter frequency response at the MLP, but poorer response as you move away from the MLP.  You may or may not like the results, but I feel you should respect the many people who have gone before you and try a more conventional mic placement.

kbarnes701 likes this.

post #65271 of 72391 Old 10-01-2013, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

1 measurement at the MLP and then calculate vs a traditional 8pt calibration of the room. Not 8 measurements from a single spot. smile.gif

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon X-2000 ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
post #65272 of 72391 Old 10-01-2013, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bone View Post

1 measurement at the MLP and then calculate vs a traditional 8pt calibration of the room. Not 8 measurements from a single spot. smile.gif

You can't do that. Audyssey requires a minimum of three measurements.

post #65273 of 72391 Old 10-01-2013, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Only Pro requires three measurements, Keith.

post #65274 of 72391 Old 10-01-2013, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Guys, this is crazy. Take all eight measurements, provide Audyssey with enough data to generate good filters, and enjoy the results. It's not like it takes forever to run eight measurements.
kbarnes701 and beastaudio like this.

post #65275 of 72391 Old 10-01-2013, 11:00 AM
The Truth Hz

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bone View Post

Hey, I have a question for all of you experienced, knowledgeable Audyssey types. Have any of you that have measuring equipment, or I guess even if you don't, ever experimented with comparing a single MLP calibration to an 8pt traditional calibration? I don't mean what Chris says, but have any of you actually compared the results for yourselves, and if so, what did you find?

I'm just curious is all. cool.gif

Ive done it, and still do it sometimes when I need a quick fix after something has changed. Bottom line is the single point gets your distances and delays good, so it is better than nothing, but bad news is you have two ears and a single EQ spot at this point and the sweet spot is about the size of a No.2 pencil. Even the slightest shift in position and your staging and image could falter. At least a three point calibration would be my suggestion, and do the tight grouping as I and Jerry typically do if you want to cut down on time. Nothing still beats a full calibration, whether it is tight grouping or traditional is your choice.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

post #65276 of 72391 Old 10-01-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 402
i believe this is just another comparison of tight vs loose grouping - phrased slightly different.

For me and my setup, unequivocal and potentially (or potently) laced in placebo goodness: tight works best.
post #65277 of 72391 Old 10-01-2013, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You can't do that. Audyssey requires a minimum of three measurements.

Then my Audyssey is broken, because I can. biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post

Ive done it, and still do it sometimes when I need a quick fix after something has changed. Bottom line is the single point gets your distances and delays good, so it is better than nothing, but bad news is you have two ears and a single EQ spot at this point and the sweet spot is about the size of a No.2 pencil. Even the slightest shift in position and your staging and image could falter. At least a three point calibration would be my suggestion, and do the tight grouping as I and Jerry typically do if you want to cut down on time. Nothing still beats a full calibration, whether it is tight grouping or traditional is your choice.

The reason I was asking is because I got a new SVS sub and I did an MLP 1 spot quick measurement/calculate/store so I could get the gain on the sub correct. I was eager to hear my SVS so I ran like this for a couple of days until I had the house to myself again, and then I ran my 8pt calibration. After the 8pt, my bass was noticeably thinner in the 50-100hz range than it was with my 1 spot calibration.

Flatter? Correct? Reference? IDK, but it is thinner and everything else sounds exactly the same to my ears (no measuring gear), so I was just hoping someone could prove I'm not crazy.........Many a Dr. has tried, and failed. tongue.gif

post #65278 of 72391 Old 10-01-2013, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I have a Marantz AV8801 on the way. I am looking at a pair of SubMersive HP+ subs. Using the Master / Slave combo will only use one of the sub outs. Both of my subs will be on the front wall. This is the only spot I have for them.

Is using the 1 sub out a disadvantage in Audyssey? Is there any advantage to not go with the master / slave combo and using 2 SubM HP's (non slave) on the 2 subs outs?

The Moving Pictures Theater Construction Thread:

Houston GTG - Summer 2014

post #65279 of 72391 Old 10-01-2013, 11:51 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:

Guys, this is crazy. Take all eight measurements, provide Audyssey with enough data to generate good filters, and enjoy the results. It's not like it takes forever to run eight measurements.

Agreed: the only reason to do LT 8 measurements is for diagnostic reasons - e.g. to calculate distance and trims for two subs if you're running Audyssey Pro and reloading a previously saved set of calibration measurements where the software doesn't save the correct information, to verify suspect results, or to get a quick snapshot of a change in placement. Then it might be worth the trouble to do a basic consumer Audyssey run (three measurements I think is the conventional wisdom), get the tentative results, and abort before saving and moving back to Pro or established calibration.

Stuart

Denon 4311 with XT32 and Audyssey Pro

Oppo 93 and 103

Panasonic VT50

Sherwood R-972 with its version of the Trinnov Optimizer

MiniDSP 10x10 HD

PSB Imagine T2, Center, and Surrounds (as of 5/2014); HSU ULS-15 subs (2)

The Audyssey FAQ Guide can be found here:

post #65280 of 72391 Old 10-01-2013, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

I don't have Pro, just XT. If I had the knowledge I would definitely do some comparisons between single, tight 8 and wide spaced 8 just to see what exactly the differences were , and then I could 'prove' them with cool, colorful graphs.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Receivers Amplifiers , Kef Kht1005 2se 5 1 Subwoofer Satellite System With C4 Subwoofer Gloss White , 5 6 7 1 7 2 Or 8 1 8 2 One Or Two Subwoofer Compatible 16 Banana Post 2 Rca Speaker Wall Plate For H
Gear in this thread - Kht1005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page