post #71341 of 72249 Old 06-05-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

While you are right about the second part, the X-curve does not work that way. The roll-off on the X-curve starts at 2khz. For example see this article: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_9_2/feature-article-curves-6-2002.html
I think you are mistakenly conflating the X-curve (which isn't really an EQ curve per se, but rather is about compensating for the reverberant characteristics of different rooms) with PREFERENCE tests like the famous Harman study.

Yea i edited the confusion out, I meant to point out the difference between the two but just removed it since you corrected me already. I am aware of the differences between the two for sure, I was attempting to point out the xcurve and the harman study both see audible preference by rolling off the highs, the harman study just take a little further to full bandwidth.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #71342 of 72249 Old 06-05-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post

What is the "gradual downward slope going up from about 2k"?
This is the actual Audyssey Reference "curve" in blue with the MRC centered around 2k. The red line shows the THX Re-EQ roll off. Flat is at 0dB.

I use THX/NeoX 11.2 with Audyssey Movie curve and THX Re-EQ, am I doing this wrong by having both engaged?

If I only should be using one, which would deliver the best when using THX/NeoX 11.2?
post #71343 of 72249 Old 06-05-2014, 04:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked: 1528
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post

I use THX/NeoX 11.2 with Audyssey Movie curve and THX Re-EQ, am I doing this wrong by having both engaged?

If I only should be using one, which would deliver the best when using THX/NeoX 11.2?

a)8.   What is THX Re-EQ? Should it be on or off when using MultEQ?

post #71344 of 72249 Old 06-05-2014, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Who wrote that Keith?
post #71345 of 72249 Old 06-05-2014, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 354
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

While you are right about the second part, the X-curve does not work that way. The roll-off on the X-curve starts at 2khz. For example see this article: http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_9_2/feature-article-curves-6-2002.html
I think you are mistakenly conflating the X-curve (which isn't really an EQ curve per se, but rather is about compensating for the reverberant characteristics of different rooms) with PREFERENCE tests like the famous Harman study.

That's a great article, thanks. Wasn't aware of the history of movie audio. Lots of steps taken I knew nothing about just to get us where we are now. I never knew how instrumental Dolby had been👍
post #71346 of 72249 Old 06-06-2014, 02:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Who wrote that Keith?

Who wrote the FAQ answer?  I wrote all the FAQ answers unless otherwise stated in the Answer itself. Why do you ask?

post #71347 of 72249 Old 06-06-2014, 03:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

Who wrote the FAQ answer?  I wrote all the FAQ answers unless otherwise stated in the Answer itself. Why do you ask?
I ask because I have never seen that mentioned anywhere, I wondered where it came from, that's why I asked.
post #71348 of 72249 Old 06-06-2014, 04:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post

I ask because I have never seen that mentioned anywhere, I wondered where it came from, that's why I asked.

OK. It's fairly standard advice wrt to THX/Re-EQ I think.

post #71349 of 72249 Old 06-06-2014, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post

That's a great article, thanks. Wasn't aware of the history of movie audio. Lots of steps taken I knew nothing about just to get us where we are now. I never knew how instrumental Dolby had been👍

Movie Audio:

The step between optical Academy Curve and Dolby or THX (X-curve) is the one I recall most fondly, the era of magnetic multichannel soundtracks. To my ears, the 6 track magnetic tracks used with the earlier 70 mm prints, from 1955 to 1976, sounded the best. The playback system was designed by Ampex for Todd-AO, and used, in the theaters involved, for most other early 70 mm processes. There was a black box (which was blue, in some cases) that provided a curve for these 70 mm playbacks. No one I've found seems to know what that curve looked like, but it sounded very lively, with sparkling high frequencies. While they didn't use the X-curve by name, the curve used may have been similar. The 6 track mag also had very high dynamic range. Occasionally, the projectionists were asked to sneak the volume up after the first few minutes of running. In the theaters, there were no subs until Dolby, but the bass was usually strong. The better speakers (JBL and Altec) rolled off below 40 Hz, but often were more or less flush mounted between strongly braced plywood "wings," behind the screen, which increased the bass the way flush mounting does. There was also a roll off above 12K, but I don't know whether it was provided by the box, by the soundtracks themselves, or by the speakers. Most (or all) of the speakers were two-way, and the driver/horns did lose response above 10K, gradually, even though one of the two companies tended to claim that theirs went to 22K.

I believe that the first movie widely advertized as being in "Dolby Stereo 70 mm," Star Wars (1977) still used magnetic sound in the 70 mm prints, but imposed something like Dolby A. By the way, that was two years before 1979's Apocalypse Now, mentioned in the article as the first in Dolby Stereo 70 mm. I am certain that the 1977 70 mm incarnation of Star Wars was trumpeted as being in Dolby Stereo, because I remember starring at the banner stating same that was hanging from the marquee as the long, long line slowly oozed into the theater. Apocalypse Now had a highly refined soundtrack, with brilliant souncscapes. Was it the first 70 mm print with discrete surround channels actually on the print? Maybe so. I think the 35 mm prints of both films were Dolby optical. 70 mm prints continued to use magnetic sound for a while.

In the theaters, 70 mm mag sound resembled the best I now get with new films played back with Audyssey assisted 5.1, but without the deepest bass, and with just 1 surround track, which was sometimes switched around the theater (all, or left, or right). As the article stated, the other 5 tracks were all behind the screen in the early 70mm films.

Unfortunately, the sound on the BDs and DVDs of these classic 70 mm films is not as good as I'd like. In some cases, the original mag recording may have been damaged by mechanical or magnetic means.
post #71350 of 72249 Old 06-06-2014, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 442
^^ Apocalypse Now was the first to use stereo surrounds.

A Star Is Born was the first 70MM Dolby release.
post #71351 of 72249 Old 06-06-2014, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

^^ Apocalypse Now was the first to use stereo surrounds.

A Star Is Born was the first 70MM Dolby release.

Thanks!

I forgot about A Star is Born. I think it was just before Star Wars. Unfortunately, I saw ASIB in 35 mm, but I now remember it being released in 70 mm, as well.
post #71352 of 72249 Old 06-07-2014, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have done some adjusting and re-calibrating of my Marantz SR7007, set my front L & R speakers to 80hz instead of "full range" (the setting Audyssey used) and have managed to get my Velodyne SPL 15 sub to a level of +1.5 db from it's previous reading of -12.0db by turning down the vol control on the sub itself to almost "0." I have been advised previously to get in this "target range" for sub volume as set by Audyssey so that the receiver itself will have plenty of level available for the LFE output. Is all of this correct so far? I just calibrated from the listening position to get that sub reading set right. So now, I have to re-do the 8-point calibration, correct? Thanks!
P.S. This post may seem out of place now, but I had some posts about a week ago regarding some level problems and whether or not if I made any manual changes to Audyssey settings, if I would still have dynamic EQ. I don't use dynamic volume.

William R. Moore
post #71353 of 72249 Old 06-07-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygarrison View Post

Movie Audio:

The step between optical Academy Curve and Dolby or THX (X-curve) is the one I recall most fondly, the era of magnetic multichannel soundtracks. To my ears, the 6 track magnetic tracks used with the earlier 70 mm prints, from 1955 to 1976, sounded the best. The playback system was designed by Ampex for Todd-AO, and used, in the theaters involved, for most other early 70 mm processes. There was a black box (which was blue, in some cases) that provided a curve for these 70 mm playbacks. No one I've found seems to know what that curve looked like, but it sounded very lively, with sparkling high frequencies. While they didn't use the X-curve by name, the curve used may have been similar. The 6 track mag also had very high dynamic range. Occasionally, the projectionists were asked to sneak the volume up after the first few minutes of running. In the theaters, there were no subs until Dolby, but the bass was usually strong. The better speakers (JBL and Altec) rolled off below 40 Hz, but often were more or less flush mounted between strongly braced plywood "wings," behind the screen, which increased the bass the way flush mounting does. There was also a roll off above 12K, but I don't know whether it was provided by the box, by the soundtracks themselves, or by the speakers. Most (or all) of the speakers were two-way, and the driver/horns did lose response above 10K, gradually, even though one of the two companies tended to claim that theirs went to 22K.

I believe that the first movie widely advertized as being in "Dolby Stereo 70 mm," Star Wars (1977) still used magnetic sound in the 70 mm prints, but imposed something like Dolby A. By the way, that was two years before 1979's Apocalypse Now, mentioned in the article as the first in Dolby Stereo 70 mm. I am certain that the 1977 70 mm incarnation of Star Wars was trumpeted as being in Dolby Stereo, because I remember starring at the banner stating same that was hanging from the marquee as the long, long line slowly oozed into the theater. Apocalypse Now had a highly refined soundtrack, with brilliant souncscapes. Was it the first 70 mm print with discrete surround channels actually on the print? Maybe so. I think the 35 mm prints of both films were Dolby optical. 70 mm prints continued to use magnetic sound for a while.

In the theaters, 70 mm mag sound resembled the best I now get with new films played back with Audyssey assisted 5.1, but without the deepest bass, and with just 1 surround track, which was sometimes switched around the theater (all, or left, or right). As the article stated, the other 5 tracks were all behind the screen in the early 70mm films.

Unfortunately, the sound on the BDs and DVDs of these classic 70 mm films is not as good as I'd like. In some cases, the original mag recording may have been damaged by mechanical or magnetic means.
In their heyday, 70mm mag prints used 5 discrete channels of audio behind the screen, in addition to the left and right surrounds, which I'm not sure were discrete. With this recording/playback system, the dialog and effects coming from the screen were highly directional and very realistic. When Dolby came along or maybe even before, sound designers decided to reduce the number of screen channels to three, with all dialog coming from the center channel. The 70mm magnetic soundtracks were the best and still are, in my view. Also, Cinerama used magnetic sound in their productions. The separate 35mm 6 or 7 track magnetic audio soundtrack played back in sync with the three 35mm projectors which produced an awesome experience for the audience. This sound also was unsurpassed in fidelity. Maybe some will remember the stereophonic sound demonstration in "This Is Cinerama" where Lowell Thomas narrates an "orchestral demo" which really "knocked your sox off!" Those were the days!

William R. Moore
post #71354 of 72249 Old 06-10-2014, 02:32 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Guys this might be a bad place for me to post this and I have posted a similar question in another forum but I like to get opinions from pros like you. I have not received an answer yet therefore I am posting here.
I have a Minidsp Umik-1 Mic and I used it with REW to calibrate only my sub. What I want to know is do I run REW with Audyssey engaged on the avr or does it matter?
post #71355 of 72249 Old 06-10-2014, 02:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 655
Depends on how you want to measure. I usually graph both ways, on and off to see what it does both ways. Do you mean should you be manuallly EQing your sub with audyssey on or off? That is a different story.

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

post #71356 of 72249 Old 06-10-2014, 02:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post

Guys this might be a bad place for me to post this and I have posted a similar question in another forum but I like to get opinions from pros like you. I have not received an answer yet therefore I am posting here.
I have a Minidsp Umik-1 Mic and I used it with REW to calibrate only my sub. What I want to know is do I run REW with Audyssey engaged on the avr or does it matter?

I would think yes. You do listen most of the time with Audyssey engaged, right? So why wouldn't you have it engaged when running REW?

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
post #71357 of 72249 Old 06-10-2014, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Moore View Post

I have done some adjusting and re-calibrating of my Marantz SR7007, set my front L & R speakers to 80hz instead of "full range" (the setting Audyssey used) and have managed to get my Velodyne SPL 15 sub to a level of +1.5 db from it's previous reading of -12.0db by turning down the vol control on the sub itself to almost "0." I have been advised previously to get in this "target range" for sub volume as set by Audyssey so that the receiver itself will have plenty of level available for the LFE output. Is all of this correct so far? I just calibrated from the listening position to get that sub reading set right. So now, I have to re-do the 8-point calibration, correct? Thanks!
P.S. This post may seem out of place now, but I had some posts about a week ago regarding some level problems and whether or not if I made any manual changes to Audyssey settings, if I would still have dynamic EQ. I don't use dynamic volume.

Yes, William, you're on the right track. smile.gif

However, you should try to get Audyssey to set your sub trim in the negative numbers, specifically below -5db. This way you have plenty of room to bump it up without going over "0db" (the positive numbers are not where you want to be).

And, yes, after you get your sub trim where you want it, you have to run the full 8-point calibration.

AVR: DENON 2113ci
FL/R: Klipschorn
CC: Klipsch RC64ii
SUR: Polk LS F/X x 4
SUB: PSA XS15 x 4
DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740
post #71358 of 72249 Old 06-10-2014, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There are more than a couple threads discussing the benefits of EQ'ing before -OR- after Audyssey. Personally, I fall in the "after Audyssey" camp.

I've tried it both ways - every time I EQ'ed pre-Audyssey, Audyssey would just mess up all my hard work. smile.gif

To answer your question - IF you are trying to EQ your response post-Audyssey, then yes, you need to run REW with Audyssey engaged.

If you are trying to get the best response pre-Audyssey (usually adjusting sub position and/or phase), then you want to measure with Audyssey off. After you get the best pre-Audyssey response you can, you then run REW and tweak the results with your MiniDSP.

AVR: DENON 2113ci
FL/R: Klipschorn
CC: Klipsch RC64ii
SUR: Polk LS F/X x 4
SUB: PSA XS15 x 4
DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740
post #71359 of 72249 Old 06-10-2014, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

There are more than a couple threads discussing the benefits of EQ'ing before -OR- after Audyssey. Personally, I fall in the "after Audyssey" camp.

I've tried it both ways - every time I EQ'ed pre-Audyssey, Audyssey would just mess up all my hard work. smile.gif

To answer your question - IF you are trying to EQ your response post-Audyssey, then yes, you need to run REW with Audyssey engaged.

If you are trying to get the best response pre-Audyssey (usually adjusting sub position and/or phase), then you want to measure with Audyssey off. After you get the best pre-Audyssey response you can, you then run REW and tweak the results with your MiniDSP.

Does it matter if the avr is in stereo mode or neo or whatever when doing REW? When I connect the RCA to the avr Aux there are different modes to choose.
post #71360 of 72249 Old 06-10-2014, 04:29 PM
Advanced Member

How does this graph look? Thoughts please! SubonlywithAudysseyengaged 52k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sub8.jpg (51.8 KB, 52 views)
post #71361 of 72249 Old 06-10-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

This FAQ answer might help..

a)2. Using Parametric Equalisation in tandem with Audyssey to improve frequency response.

post #71362 of 72249 Old 06-10-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

Yes, William, you're on the right track. smile.gif

However, you should try to get Audyssey to set your sub trim in the negative numbers, specifically below -5db. This way you have plenty of room to bump it up without going over "0db" (the positive numbers are not where you want to be).

And, yes, after you get your sub trim where you want it, you have to run the full 8-point calibration.
Alan: I think I redid the calibration and came up with a reading of "-3.5db" for the sub if I can trust what I wrote down (I'll double-check this). So that should put me in the ballpark. I don't think I can get any lower than that on my sub vol control or it would be turned completely down. I played the BD of "Haunted Mansion" aftyerwards and the sound was "dyne-O-mite! and there was plenty of bass. Thanks!

William R. Moore
post #71363 of 72249 Old 06-10-2014, 06:27 PM
Super Moderator

Liked: 333
in case you have not heard, AVS is moving back to v Bulletin tomorrow: see link in my sig

it will be like coming home again smile.gif
post #71364 of 72249 Old 06-12-2014, 05:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The changeover from Huddler to vBulletin has broken all the Hyperlinks in the Audyssey FAQ and removed the spoilers from the Audyssey 101. The broken hyperlinks make the FAQ difficult to navigate. I have asked 'The Management' if they are able to fix this and hopefully they will.

Oddly, the Hyperlinks in the Audyssey FAQ Addendum still work properly, so there must be some sort of explanation as to why they work there but not in the FAQ.

I will provide further updates as soon as I know anything.

It's like coming home again, but to find your house has been broken into
post #71365 of 72249 Old 06-12-2014, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by Alan P 

I've tried it both ways - every time I EQ'ed pre-Audyssey, Audyssey would just mess up all my hard work.

Does it matter if the avr is in stereo mode or neo or whatever when doing REW? When I connect the RCA to the avr Aux there are different modes to choose.
Should be in Stereo.
post #71366 of 72249 Old 06-12-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Moore View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by Alan P 

Yes, William, you're on the right track.

Alan: I think I redid the calibration and came up with a reading of "-3.5db" for the sub if I can trust what I wrote down (I'll double-check this). So that should put me in the ballpark. I don't think I can get any lower than that on my sub vol control or it would be turned completely down. I played the BD of "Haunted Mansion" aftyerwards and the sound was "dyne-O-mite! and there was plenty of bass. Thanks!
Congrats! Glad you're enjoying it. Did you end up boosting the sub trim post-Audyssey at all?
post #71367 of 72249 Old 06-12-2014, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComponentActual View Post
I just returned a Denon x2000, in exchange for an Onkyo TX-NR818, I liked the Denon, but decided I wanted Audyssey DSX, and Neo X, and the option to do 9.1 with external amp. Anyway last night I hooked it up and ran Audyssey MultEQ XT 32, and was surprised to see that my distance settings were all in half foot increments. I am pretty sure that the Denon which had the lower level MultEQ XT  could determine speaker distance to within 1/10th of a foot. How precise do speaker distance settings need to be for Audyssey to do its thing? Will I not be getting the full benefit of MultEQ XT 32 with these less precise measurements?

On avg. the spacing between the left and right ear is about 6 inches. That must be the reasoning behind the half foot increments in the speaker distance settings menu. Overall it shouldn't be a problem if you use the auto setup mode.
post #71368 of 72249 Old 06-12-2014, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 15
cant seem to find an answer to this or how to videos on setting up dual subwoofers

how do i run dual subwoofers with a denon 1712?

i know i have to buy one of these.

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-UL...fer+y+splitter

do i run audyssey for each subwoofer separately to +/- 3db and when done connect both with the splitter? or do i run audyssey with just one subwoofer, get it tuned and then set gain on the other sub exactly the same as the audysseyed sub, then connect with y splitter? not sure how to do this
post #71369 of 72249 Old 06-13-2014, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisfc1972 View Post
cant seem to find an answer to this or how to videos on setting up dual subwoofers

do i run audyssey for each subwoofer separately to +/- 3db and when done connect both with the splitter? or do i run audyssey with just one subwoofer, get it tuned and then set gain on the other sub exactly the same as the audysseyed sub, then connect with y splitter? not sure how to do this
Others will correct me if I'm in error. Do you have dual sub outs on your AVR? If not, I'd simply buy a "Y" connector for my sub cables, connect them together and run the one cable to the LFE or sub out on the AVR. Then I'd run Audyssey as usual, one time, per the FAQs in this Forum.
ellisr63 likes this.

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
post #71370 of 72249 Old 06-13-2014, 07:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisfc1972 View Post

The only way that a dual sub setup will work its best with a Audyssey suit that only tests a single LFE line is to run Both subs at the same time, so that Audyssey will filter the sum of both subs... I like the fact that you take the steps needed to balance the line level for each sub first but you also need to be sure the distance of the two subs is the same, spot on, this will have the most effect with the way both subs sound in the sweet spot! Or you can try running just one tested sub for music, and just switch on the second non tested but still filtered sub for movies just for the shake the house effect. The best way might be to run both subs side by side as one unit, not as L/R,,, are both subs the same? What ever sounds best for you..
Would like to add that you are running the risk for some very muddy sounding deep end if not setup just right, thats why Audyssey runs two complete lines cause there are so many factors to take into a count, two subs out of phase / distance / timing is the worst and out weigh the raw power of just two subs banging away..
ellisr63 likes this.

Last edited by joehonest; 06-13-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Receivers Amplifiers , Kef Kht1005 2se 5 1 Subwoofer Satellite System With C4 Subwoofer Gloss White , 5 6 7 1 7 2 Or 8 1 8 2 One Or Two Subwoofer Compatible 16 Banana Post 2 Rca Speaker Wall Plate For H
Gear in this thread - Kht1005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page