"Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779) - Page 2392 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #71731 of 71754 Old 07-09-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 506
soundcard output running REW sweep into one of the avr's RCA in's (let's say "CD source") then RCA outs on left or right channel into soundcard input, should give you a sufficient loopback to see what happens with changes AT the AVR level...

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #71732 of 71754 Old 07-09-2014, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 316
A loopback might be a little tricky. Essentially you're amplifying the entire noise spectrum internally generated by the amp circuits. If the (pre)amp is set to anything less than unity gain, the signal would quickly fade to 0, while higher gain would amplify the signal to as high a voltage as the circuits could drive. I dunno what the resulting signal would actually look like.

REW might be a reasonable signal generator, since that part could be entirely in the digital domain. The quality of the signal it'd detect would depend on the quality of the audio inputs of the computer you're using. I don't know that I'd trust them not to be generating their own distortions, especially when driven by high frequencies. Any such distortion would generate spurious higher harmonics. It'd be a good place to start, though.

Selden
post #71733 of 71754 Old 07-09-2014, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
A loopback might be a little tricky. Essentially you're amplifying the entire noise spectrum internally generated by the amp circuits. If the (pre)amp is set to anything less than unity gain, the signal would quickly fade to 0, while higher gain would amplify the signal to as high a voltage as the circuits could drive. I dunno what the resulting signal would actually look like.

REW might be a reasonable signal generator, since that part could be entirely in the digital domain. The quality of the signal it'd detect would depend on the quality of the audio inputs of the computer you're using. I don't know that I'd trust them not to be generating their own distortions, especially when driven by high frequencies. Any such distortion would generate spurious higher harmonics. It'd be a good place to start, though.
@Selden and beast

Yet, I still think the bottleneck in the loopback chain here would be the soundcard input itself. Most probably those s/cards are not so famous for their response at ultrasonics (like above 20 kHz).
post #71734 of 71754 Old 07-09-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 96
The best way would be to stay in the digital domain and have access to the final point via menu (with a couple of key strokes on the remote) right before the digital signal enters the DAC and see how the sampling rate in kHz changes with Audyssey on/off, Bass Mangement on/off, etc. Wishful thinking, I know.

Any service engineer on board?
post #71735 of 71754 Old 07-09-2014, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post
@Selden and beast

Yet, I still think the bottleneck in the loopback chain here would be the soundcard input itself. Most probably those s/cards are not so famous for their response at ultrasonics (like above 20 kHz).
Sure, but IIRC, my external soundcard I purchased initially for REW sweeps was pretty good on the loopback to well above 50khz. I don't have those loopback graphs anymore or I would post them, but you are correct, you definitely need a good soundcard and clean signal chain to make it right....

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #71736 of 71754 Old 07-09-2014, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Is it recommended to re-run XT32 calibration after putting in an area rug over a tile floor?
post #71737 of 71754 Old 07-09-2014, 04:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 891
I would say so, yes. A big area rug would almost certainly change the acoustics of the room, reducing reflections bouncing off the floor.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #71738 of 71754 Old 07-09-2014, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Downsample

I find the whole downsample topic quite interesting. I have had a Denon 1610 for 5 years and have never heard of this.

I was wondering if the Audyssey version would make a difference? Is MultiEQ or MultiEQ XT less likely to cause a downsample versus XT32 because of required resources?

Teddy
post #71739 of 71754 Old 07-09-2014, 08:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyc23 View Post
I find the whole downsample topic quite interesting. I have had a Denon 1610 for 5 years and have never heard of this.
No one wanted to advertise it but it was eventually revealed and confirmed.

Quote:
I was wondering if the Audyssey version would make a difference? Is MultiEQ or MultiEQ XT less likely to cause a downsample versus XT32 because of required resources?
I do not know because I have little interest in the lesser versions but one should note that (1) they are used in cheaper AVRs which are likely to have even more limited DSP capabilities than the bigger ones and (2) the manufacturers probably adopt the same philosophy for all their products.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #71740 of 71754 Old 07-09-2014, 08:43 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post
How about distance settings for the fronts?
Actually the distance settings were spot on but i noticed the sub distance was a good bit longer than it should but according to some previous posts its quite normal so i just Tweaked it to the correct length. In my last post i mentioned that my fronts were 5.0 and 5.5db which was wrong as they are -5.0 and -5.5db and the center = 0.0db. I did turn my surrounds down and i also turned my centre and fronts up a couple of db. It now sounds great and i have Dynamic EQ set to on. By having it on it boosts my center channel when the dialogue is being spoken in a low volume movie scene.

Fame is a mask that eats into the face.

post #71741 of 71754 Old Yesterday, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post
Actually the distance settings were spot on but i noticed the sub distance was a good bit longer than it should but according to some previous posts its quite normal so i just Tweaked it to the correct length. In my last post i mentioned that my fronts were 5.0 and 5.5db which was wrong as they are -5.0 and -5.5db and the center = 0.0db. I did turn my surrounds down and i also turned my centre and fronts up a couple of db. It now sounds great and i have Dynamic EQ set to on. By having it on it boosts my center channel when the dialogue is being spoken in a low volume movie scene.
If by "correct" you mean the actual physical distance to the sub...this is most likely not correct.

Unless you have the ability to measure your room's response, it's best to trust Audyssey on sub distance. If you have a mic and REW (or similar) you can adjust the sub distance in the AVR until you get the smoothest transition through the crossover region, but without measuring gear there's no way to know what distance is "correct".
kbarnes701 and twain250 like this.
post #71742 of 71754 Old Yesterday, 07:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 1129
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewTT View Post
Is it recommended to re-run XT32 calibration after putting in an area rug over a tile floor?

I agree with batpig. I was surprised to see that this is not specifically covered in the FAQ, so I will write a new Q&A for when it is advised to re-run Audyssey after making changes in the room.
post #71743 of 71754 Old Yesterday, 07:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post
Whoa!

Check the FAQ answer:

e)4. Why has Audyssey set my sub distance much greater than it actually measures?
post #71744 of 71754 Old Yesterday, 08:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

post #71745 of 71754 Old Yesterday, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

You da man KB. I am glad you got your link issues figured out. I know some other forum members that aren't as lucky so far.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #71746 of 71754 Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
You da man KB. I am glad you got your link issues figured out. I know some other forum members that aren't as lucky so far.
Thanks Beast! I ended up remaking all the links manually, using the new vB code. Took a while but it seemed the surest way to get it done.
post #71747 of 71754 Old Yesterday, 12:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Been having some pretty good Audyssey results recently - as clear a sound as I've ever heard (via the Denon X1000). Have kept the mic at least 1.5 feet from sofa and in a rectangular array of measuring positions. Many have noted that Audyssey can produce an overly bright soundfield, and that has been my issue as well. While the sound is crystal clear the highs are just a bit too overbearing - producing a ringing in my ears. I know this can be defeated but I think it will take a few adjustments.

I have had differing results with Audyssey - some results sound overly warm and even a bit dull, while others are very aggressively clear and high. The latter is more ideal, but I want it to have the clarity without the highs being so aggressive.

The success factor in getting clear sound has been measuring in the rectangular array both on and in front of the couch - per that diagram that's been passed around, and using the 8 measuring locations for XT. But it's crucial getting at least 1.5 feet of space between couch and mic. Otherwise I've had muddy sound.

The brightness could be because the mic is a few inches too high (as the L&R tweeters do fire right at my ear); it could be that the L & R speakers face straight out (meaning the treble is being boosted a bit to overcompensate for measurements in the middle area), or it's that the center is a bit higher and is not tilted downwards (I tend to think it sounds a bit better like this - but it could be causing a more "live" sound with the room). Or it's a combination.

If anyone has had success with setup procedure -- in getting clear sound w/ Audyssey that isn't treble-heavy -- please share.

Thank you

Last edited by Napoleon D; Yesterday at 12:22 PM.
post #71748 of 71754 Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon D View Post
Been having some pretty good Audyssey results recently - as clear a sound as I've ever heard (via the Denon X1000). Have kept the mic at least 1.5 feet from sofa and in a rectangular array of measuring positions. Many have noted that Audyssey can produce an overly bright soundfield, and that has been my issue as well. While the sound is crystal clear the highs are just a bit too overbearing - producing a ringing in my ears. I know this can be defeated but I think it will take a few adjustments.

I have had differing results with Audyssey - some results sound overly warm and even a bit dull, while others are very aggressively clear and high. The latter is more ideal, but I want it to have the clarity without the highs being so aggressive.

The success factor in getting clear sound has been measuring in the rectangular array both on and in front of the couch - per that diagram that's been passed around, and using the 8 measuring locations for XT. But it's crucial getting at least 1.5 feet of space between couch and mic. Otherwise I've had muddy sound.

The brightness could be because the mic is a few inches too high (as the L&R tweeters do fire right at my ear); it could be that the L & R speakers face straight out (meaning the treble is being boosted a bit to overcompensate for measurements in the middle area), or it's that the center is a bit higher and is not tilted downwards (I tend to think it sounds a bit better like this - but it could be causing a more "live" sound with the room). Or it's a combination.

If anyone has had success with setup procedure -- in getting clear sound w/ Audyssey that isn't treble-heavy -- please share.

Thank you
Try this, from the FAQ:

a)9. Why are my high frequencies 'bright' or 'harsh' since running Audyssey?
post #71749 of 71754 Old Yesterday, 01:23 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
When setting up the mic to run Audyssey, I'm not really sure of the best way to run in my setup. I have the boom stand linked in the FAQ (http://www.amazon.com/Stage-Stands-M...5023578&sr=1-1), but my loveseat is too close to the wall to sit the boom stand behind it (the tripod base is too wide). Unfortunately in my apartment, I am severely limited on placement, as moving up the loveseat would interfere with the couch. What I did was have the boom reaching over from one corner and both sides of the loveseat. I know its not optimal, as there could be (and probably is) some reflection off the boom stand, but the only other thing that I can think of would be to temporarily move the loveseat forward to run Audyssey and then move it back. Of course, this is changing the room layout, and could affect the correction filters. While neither of the these are ideal, I'm not really sure what else do. Which of these compromises would I better off with?
post #71750 of 71754 Old Yesterday, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Audyssey always calibrates my system (all Klipsch front stage) a bit on the bright side as well, but I've found that if I engage Cinema re-EQ that pretty much takes care of it.
post #71751 of 71754 Old Yesterday, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacation View Post
When setting up the mic to run Audyssey, I'm not really sure of the best way to run in my setup. I have the boom stand linked in the FAQ (http://www.amazon.com/Stage-Stands-M...5023578&sr=1-1), but my loveseat is too close to the wall to sit the boom stand behind it (the tripod base is too wide). Unfortunately in my apartment, I am severely limited on placement, as moving up the loveseat would interfere with the couch. What I did was have the boom reaching over from one corner and both sides of the loveseat. I know its not optimal, as there could be (and probably is) some reflection off the boom stand, but the only other thing that I can think of would be to temporarily move the loveseat forward to run Audyssey and then move it back. Of course, this is changing the room layout, and could affect the correction filters. While neither of the these are ideal, I'm not really sure what else do. Which of these compromises would I better off with?
My boom stand sits in front of my MLP when I calibrate...I've never had an issue with it. I don't think the stand has enough mass to cause any anomalies, but I could be wrong.
Vacation likes this.
post #71752 of 71754 Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Leave the seat where it is and use the mic as described above (bolded). Don't worry about reflections off the boom/stand. Moving the seat would have way more detrimental impact.
Vacation likes this.
post #71753 of 71754 Old Yesterday, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
My boom stand sits in front of my MLP when I calibrate...I've never had an issue with it. I don't think the stand has enough mass to cause any anomalies, but I could be wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
Leave the seat where it is and use the mic as described above (bolded). Don't worry about reflections off the boom/stand. Moving the seat would have way more detrimental impact.
Thanks for the quick replies. I wasn't sure for some of the measurements if the stand being slightly in front of the love seat would be detrimental, but I suppose I was just over-complicating things.
post #71754 of 71754 Old Today, 03:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Thanks for the quick replies. I wasn't sure for some of the measurements if the stand being slightly in front of the love seat would be detrimental, but I suppose I was just over-complicating things.
It is easy to overthink these things. And sometimes there has to be a compromise. If that compromise is between a) moving the seat for the cal and then moving it back for listening, or b) placing the boom stand in front of the seat, then b) is always the best way to go. FWIW I have had to calibrate like this for years, due to the fact that like you I cannot get the stand behind the seats. I have never seen it as a major issue and my results - both measured and audible - are excellent.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Receivers Amplifiers , Kef Kht1005 2se 5 1 Subwoofer Satellite System With C4 Subwoofer Gloss White , 5 6 7 1 7 2 Or 8 1 8 2 One Or Two Subwoofer Compatible 16 Banana Post 2 Rca Speaker Wall Plate For H
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page