post #71761 of 71773 Old Yesterday, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Audyssey always calibrates my system (all Klipsch front stage) a bit on the bright side as well, but I've found that if I engage Cinema re-EQ that pretty much takes care of it.
I'm of the thought that the features like THX/Re-EQ, Cinema Filter, or any of the other sound-enhancing features are artificial fixes for issues that can be corrected naturally with the right set-up. I think Audyssey with Dynamic EQ engaged is designed to ideally work i.e. create the industry-standard cinema sound-curve (correct me if wrong). The challenge is doing the set-up "correctly" so Audyssey can accomplish that, in other words meeting it at least half way to help it work correctly. So by that rationale an ideal setup should not be overly bright. I don't have the Klipsch or the same room as you so in your case Re:EQ could be only solution. Always learning here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #71762 of 71773 Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad713 View Post
that's very interesting, I'm unfamiliar with these discrete codes - do they give you possible access to all settings, as opposed to just copying what's on the onkyo remote?
In theory.

Someone will have had to of found the discrete codes and posted them somewhere (Remote Central is a good resource)....but yeah, you can typically find discrete codes for a lot of functions not available on the factory remotes.

But, you have to have a remote that will accept those codes....I think the Harmony's can do some, but I use a URC MX-800 (that I've been using for 10+ years) that I can pretty much use any hex code with so I'm not sure of others.
post #71763 of 71773 Old Yesterday, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon D View Post
I'm of the thought that the features like THX/Re-EQ, Cinema Filter, or any of the other sound-enhancing features are artificial fixes for issues that can be corrected naturally with the right set-up. I think Audyssey with Dynamic EQ engaged is designed to ideally work i.e. create the industry-standard cinema sound-curve (correct me if wrong). The challenge is doing the set-up "correctly" so Audyssey can accomplish that, in other words meeting it at least half way to help it work correctly. So by that rationale an ideal setup should not be overly bright. I don't have the Klipsch or the same room as you so in your case Re:EQ could be only solution. Always learning here!
Dyn EQ is meant to deal with how humans hear at lower volume levels, not to reproduce any "industry-standard".

I've had my Klipsch speakers for over 20 years and have always used Cinema EQ...works for me in my system.
post #71764 of 71773 Old Yesterday, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon D View Post
It's hard to know how much your room might be a factor in the equation and whether some discrete acoustic treatments might help. But you mentioned microphone height and that has definitely been a factor in my case. Our ears are actually a little lower than we think they are--at least 5.5" down from the top of my head to the middle of my ear canal in my case. And until recently I was pretty consistently using microphone positions that were a little too high. I have found that making very sure that the mic. positions are a little lower--just 2-3" lower gets them to the middle or bottom of my ear canal--has helped to reduce the perceived brightness in my room.

It's all so speaker/room dependent that mic. height might be a minor factor in some calibrations, but it seems to help in mine. Of course there can be trade-offs with respect to a clear line of sight to your surrounds or rear surrounds; fortunately not a factor in my case. But if it were a factor, and I had to choose, I would probably optimize the sound for my center and fronts, and accept some degree of compromise for my surrounds. I would naturally have to experiment to determine how much compromise I was willing to live with. But the FAQ suggestions, the center speaker angle, and the mic. height at least give you a methodology for experimenting to hear what works best for you.

Last edited by mthomas47; Yesterday at 12:57 PM. Reason: I wrote the distance from the top of my head to the ear canal wrong. See, I told you it was farther than I thought.
post #71765 of 71773 Old Yesterday, 04:21 PM

Liked: 50
Quote:
Dyn EQ is meant to deal with how humans hear at lower volume levels, not to reproduce any "industry-standard".

I've had my Klipsch speakers for over 20 years and have always used Cinema EQ...works for me in my system.
I also have Klipsch speakers, which are fairly bright to begin with (but good, and with great dynamic capability and very clean, precise sounding transient response). With modern movies on Blu-ray, they sound very good with Audyssey Flat, and even better with Audyssey Reference (i.e., with Audyssey's midrange correction and moderate high frequency roll off). I almost never use DEQ, and almost always run movies about 3 to 5 dB below Audyssey determined Reference Level. The movies sound very dynamic and exciting, with strong, sometimes overwhelming, bass.

Now with older movies of the magnetic Hi Fi Stereo era (certain, but not all, movies after 1953, especially 70 mm movies) it's a different story. IMO, the people who transfer these to Blu-ray often do not use anything near the bass EQ the studios used to use in preparing release prints. During the original recording sessions, great care was taken not to over-record, so some bass roll off was often used both in the boards, and at the microphone roll off switches. When the final mix was made, when it was less expensive to try over and over again to get it just right (since musicians and sound effects guys were not sitting there being paid during the mix down), the bass was restored, sometimes boosted even more, and the dynamics fine tuned. Even though theater systems typically started to roll off below 40 Hz, some very dramatic bass (about 40 to 200 Hz) found its way to the theater audiences, if they were lucky enough to be hearing a magnetic soundtrack. When Blu-rays are made from these old soundtracks they understandably try to go back to the original, first generation, magnetic sound elements -- which have rolled off bass -- but I strongly suspect they fail to put the bass back, perhaps because they are too young to know what these films sounded like in the theaters. The latter may sound far-fetched, but the BD supervisors are the guys who allowed the resolution of the faces in Patton to be softened, and had to do a new transfer when the complaints came in. If they can do that to the image, there's no telling what they might do to the sound. So, for films of that era, I turn up the bass, when I can. DEQ doesn't seem to solve the problem for me, so I use other means. The sub is easy to turn up, but that stops helping somewhere above 80 Hz. My pre-pro tone controls (not virtual sliders) allow me to turn up the bass by about 6 dB. Since Audyssey actually cuts the bass down a little in my room, with my speakers, with these magnetic era movies only, I sometimes turn Audyssey off.

Last edited by garygarrison; Yesterday at 04:27 PM.
post #71766 of 71773 Old Yesterday, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Smile

Quote:
If by "correct" you mean the actual physical distance to the sub...this is most likely not correct.

Unless you have the ability to measure your room's response, it's best to trust Audyssey on sub distance. If you have a mic and REW (or similar) you can adjust the sub distance in the AVR until you get the smoothest transition through the crossover region, but without measuring gear there's no way to know what distance is "correct".
Ok thanks Alan, yes i mean phisical distance. but how does that work as i noticed that my speaker distances were at the correct distances but my sub was set at a greater distance although the sub is about 2 feet away from my speaker but the distance was far greater. Why does Audyssey do this?

Fame is a mask that eats into the face.

post #71767 of 71773 Old Yesterday, 04:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 892
You were provided with a link that explains why two posts after Alan's....

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #71768 of 71773 Old Yesterday, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi gentlemen/ladies,

I've been reading up on as many posts as I can over the last few days. And whilst I love all things tech, HT, sounds etc, I will be the first to admit that some of the things that I've read have gone way above my head.
And I need help translating and dumbing down of some things. So please bear with me if these questions have already been asked.

My current setup consists of the following: Anthony Gallos 3.5 Refs, Strada center, 2 x Adiva TI, Anthem MCA 30, Anthony Gallos SA Amp and recently a current(2013) Denon AVR.

When running the Audyssey calibration, I was asked to turn up the woofers so that it hits 75db. In order for me to do that, I had to up the gain and the boost on the SA Amp to pretty much maximum. Even then I've only been able to hit around 72-74db on one woofer.
The other woofer does occasionally go 75-77db.

Is what I am doing correct?

I also noticed that in the crossover section, my font speakers crossover at 110 and my center 150.
Looking at my speaker manuals, it's asked me to set it at a different level - not higher than 100 Hz. Which one right?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to help me out here.
post #71769 of 71773 Old Yesterday, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph3ng View Post
Hi gentlemen/ladies,

I've been reading up on as many posts as I can over the last few days. And whilst I love all things tech, HT, sounds etc, I will be the first to admit that some of the things that I've read have gone way above my head.
And I need help translating and dumbing down of some things. So please bear with me if these questions have already been asked.

My current setup consists of the following: Anthony Gallos 3.5 Refs, Strada center, 2 x Adiva TI, Anthem MCA 30, Anthony Gallos SA Amp and recently a current(2013) Denon AVR.

When running the Audyssey calibration, I was asked to turn up the woofers so that it hits 75db. In order for me to do that, I had to up the gain and the boost on the SA Amp to pretty much maximum. Even then I've only been able to hit around 72-74db on one woofer.
The other woofer does occasionally go 75-77db.

Is what I am doing correct?

I also noticed that in the crossover section, my font speakers crossover at 110 and my center 150.
Looking at my speaker manuals, it's asked me to set it at a different level - not higher than 100 Hz. Which one right?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to help me out here.
Something is wrong. Someone who knows more than I do will help. You should be able to get the 75 dB easily. Which one of the components you list is a subwoofer? Also, both 110 Hz and 150 Hz sound very high to me, for high end speakers, although in some rooms ...

Last edited by garygarrison; Yesterday at 07:12 PM.
post #71770 of 71773 Old Yesterday, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygarrison View Post
Something is wrong. Someone who knows more than I do will help. You should be able to get the 75 dB easily. Also, both 110 Hz and 150 Hz sound very high to me, for high end speakers, although in some rooms ...
Hei Gary. Thanks heaps. I just wasn't sure and that's why I thought I'd ask. But like you said, it could be because of my room. Will see what the others here say.

Quote:
Which one of the components you list is a subwoofer?
The reference 3.5s have their own woofer each. I've included an image link of the speaker below

http://www.anthonygallo.co.uk/img/im...35-cutout2.jpg

And just to provide more info:

1. That's the rear of the SA Amp. I've got the two RCA cables from the Denon (SW1 & SW2 preouts) connected to the Line In on the Amp
2. I've got my woofers connected to the Subwoofer output on the Amp.

Thanks again for your time. If more information is required of the setup to assist, let me know. Thanks again.
post #71771 of 71773 Old Yesterday, 08:21 PM

I'm assuming there is a separate input on your Anthony Gallos 3.5 Refs that feeds the woofer only, and that is what you have connected to the "sub out" on your amp. At what point do you have the crossover in the preamp (or pre/pro) set?

I'm only familiar with using Audyssey with a totally separate subwoofer that goes up to about 80 Hz, and main speakers that are set to go from about 80 Hz on up.

What configuration of Audyssey do you have? XT? XT32? Or some other? If it is XT or XT32, I think it can be used with a separate sub only. So you need Right Front, Left Front, Center, two surrounds, AND a separate subwoofer. Or do I completely misunderstand what you are doing?
post #71772 of 71773 Old Yesterday, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Those are some....interesting (expensive?) looking speakers.

Having your subwoofer integrated with your mains is a very, very bad idea...always has been and I can't believe there are still manufacturers doing this.

You will be completely unable to get proper sub response because you have only one option when it comes to placement. An unfortunate choice in speakers for sure....is it too late to return them??
post #71773 of 71773 Old Yesterday, 09:11 PM

Quote:
I'm assuming there is a separate input on your Anthony Gallos 3.5 Refs that feeds the woofer only, and that is what you have connected to the "sub out" on your amp.

Gary yes. That is correct.

Quote:
At what point do you have the crossover in the preamp (or pre/pro) set?

It's currently set to 40Hz on the SA Amp

Quote:
What configuration of Audyssey do you have? XT? XT32? Or some other? If it is XT or XT32, I think it can be used with a separate sub only. So you need Right Front, Left Front, Center, two surrounds, AND a separate subwoofer. Or do I completely misunderstand what you are doing?

I have Audyssey MultEQ XT32 and Audyssey Sub EQ HT Dual Subwoofer EQ.
If what you are saying about the separate sub is true then I will need to rewire it with a Y cable like I was doing previously.

Bummer :P I thought I kinda had dual subs hehe. Hopefully someone could confirm that for sure. And no you are right on the money in terms of how I've set it up currently.

Quote:
Those are some....interesting (expensive?) looking speakers....
Hei Alan thanks for your input. I would say they are pretty reasonably priced. We were looking a full paradigm setup previously but my wife and I preferred the sounds on these more. The paradigms were far more expensive. Aesthetics played a part too as my good lady didn't want big chunky speakers in the living room.

As for the woofer, I guess one way to look at it is that it's a compromise? The woofers have been performing good enough for us in our current setup.;

Definitely will not be returning them and wouldn't be able to anyway. I've had them for a good 3 years now at least. And I am very happy with them.

Last edited by ph3ng; Yesterday at 09:16 PM.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Receivers Amplifiers , Kef Kht1005 2se 5 1 Subwoofer Satellite System With C4 Subwoofer Gloss White , 5 6 7 1 7 2 Or 8 1 8 2 One Or Two Subwoofer Compatible 16 Banana Post 2 Rca Speaker Wall Plate For H
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page