post #71761 of 71764 Old Today, 10:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Audyssey always calibrates my system (all Klipsch front stage) a bit on the bright side as well, but I've found that if I engage Cinema re-EQ that pretty much takes care of it.
I'm of the thought that the features like THX/Re-EQ, Cinema Filter, or any of the other sound-enhancing features are artificial fixes for issues that can be corrected naturally with the right set-up. I think Audyssey with Dynamic EQ engaged is designed to ideally work i.e. create the industry-standard cinema sound-curve (correct me if wrong). The challenge is doing the set-up "correctly" so Audyssey can accomplish that, in other words meeting it at least half way to help it work correctly. So by that rationale an ideal setup should not be overly bright. I don't have the Klipsch or the same room as you so in your case Re:EQ could be only solution. Always learning here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #71762 of 71764 Old Today, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad713 View Post
that's very interesting, I'm unfamiliar with these discrete codes - do they give you possible access to all settings, as opposed to just copying what's on the onkyo remote?
In theory.

Someone will have had to of found the discrete codes and posted them somewhere (Remote Central is a good resource)....but yeah, you can typically find discrete codes for a lot of functions not available on the factory remotes.

But, you have to have a remote that will accept those codes....I think the Harmony's can do some, but I use a URC MX-800 (that I've been using for 10+ years) that I can pretty much use any hex code with so I'm not sure of others.
post #71763 of 71764 Old Today, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon D View Post
I'm of the thought that the features like THX/Re-EQ, Cinema Filter, or any of the other sound-enhancing features are artificial fixes for issues that can be corrected naturally with the right set-up. I think Audyssey with Dynamic EQ engaged is designed to ideally work i.e. create the industry-standard cinema sound-curve (correct me if wrong). The challenge is doing the set-up "correctly" so Audyssey can accomplish that, in other words meeting it at least half way to help it work correctly. So by that rationale an ideal setup should not be overly bright. I don't have the Klipsch or the same room as you so in your case Re:EQ could be only solution. Always learning here!
Dyn EQ is meant to deal with how humans hear at lower volume levels, not to reproduce any "industry-standard".

I've had my Klipsch speakers for over 20 years and have always used Cinema EQ...works for me in my system.
post #71764 of 71764 Old Today, 11:03 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon D View Post
It's hard to know how much your room might be a factor in the equation and whether some discrete acoustic treatments might help. But you mentioned microphone height and that has definitely been a factor in my case. Our ears are actually a little lower than we think they are--at least 5.5" down from the top of my head to the middle of my ear canal in my case. And until recently I was pretty consistently using microphone positions that were a little too high. I have found that making very sure that the mic. positions are a little lower--just 2-3" lower gets them to the middle or bottom of my ear canal--has helped to reduce the perceived brightness in my room.

It's all so speaker/room dependent that mic. height might be a minor factor in some calibrations, but it seems to help in mine. Of course there can be trade-offs with respect to a clear line of sight to your surrounds or rear surrounds; fortunately not a factor in my case. But if it were a factor, and I had to choose, I would probably optimize the sound for my center and fronts, and accept some degree of compromise for my surrounds. I would naturally have to experiment to determine how much compromise I was willing to live with. But the FAQ suggestions, the center speaker angle, and the mic. height at least give you a methodology for experimenting to hear what works best for you.

Last edited by mthomas47; Today at 12:57 PM. Reason: I wrote the distance from the top of my head to the ear canal wrong. See, I told you it was farther than I thought.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Receivers Amplifiers , Kef Kht1005 2se 5 1 Subwoofer Satellite System With C4 Subwoofer Gloss White , 5 6 7 1 7 2 Or 8 1 8 2 One Or Two Subwoofer Compatible 16 Banana Post 2 Rca Speaker Wall Plate For H
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page