"Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779) - Page 2396 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #71851 of 71860 Old 07-24-2014, 05:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 953
No, you are not good. That means the receiver "ran out of room" attempting to negatively trim your subs. You need to lower the gain (try 1/4 to 1/3 gain) and then re-run Audyssey. You want it NOT to be "pegged" at the max value.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #71852 of 71860 Old 07-24-2014, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzzin View Post
I see. Okay, so I checked the "Subwoofer Level" in the Audio menu of my receiver and it is at -12 dB. So I guess I'm good then? Thanks.
Follow batpig and my practical idea.
post #71853 of 71860 Old 07-24-2014, 05:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Gotcha, thanks guys. Guess I will try re-running Audyssey tonight with the gain lowered.

post #71854 of 71860 Old 07-25-2014, 03:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 1262
Quote:
Hey, so I ran Audyssey on my receiver to tide me over until a pro comes out to calibrate my setup, but I have a question: one of the instructions given to me during setup was to turn the volume/gain on my subwoofer to the halfway point. Before running Audyssey, it was at a lower setting. Should the gain remain at halfway after calibration has completed?
All the info you need is here:

f)3. How do I set the controls on my subwoofer before running MultEQ?
post #71855 of 71860 Old 07-25-2014, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 326
Sorry: you need to turn the subwoofer gain control way down, probably even lower than where it was originally.

"Between", not "at". Unfortunately, a value of -12dB is where Audyssey pegs on most equipment. That value means that Audyssey turned down the receiver's subwoofer output as far as it could and it was still too loud.

*sigh*

Where did the "delete post" command go?

Selden
post #71856 of 71860 Old 07-26-2014, 03:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
I see. Okay, so I checked the "Subwoofer Level" in the Audio menu of my receiver and it is at -12 dB. So I guess I'm good then? Thanks.
I don't think so. I had a similar result and someone on here chastised me and told me to re-run until the trim was lower. I said the hell with wit cuz it sounded good to me....But: Please read this from the Audyssey Setup Guide, Subwoofer section:
Check the subwoofer trim level setting in the receiver / processor menu.
If the subwoofers’ trim level is at the maximum limit of the cut (-) or boost (+) adjustment range allowed, you need to adjust the volume control on the subwoofer and repeat step #2 . Specific instructions will follow.
Trim adjustments are a tool used to achieve the goal of producing the same Sound Pressure Level (SPL) from each speaker / subwoofer in the system.
For example, Denon receivers have a trim adjustment range from -12dB to +12dB.

If the subwoofer trim level is at the maximum boost (e.g. +12db), turn up the volume control on the subwoofer slightly and repeat step #2 .

If the subwoofer trim level is at the maximum cut (e.g. -12db), turn down the volume control on the subwoofer slightly and repeat step #2 .

A suggestion for tweakers is to adjust the sub volume such that the resulting subwoofer trim is in the range of ±3 dB.
This is only a suggestion for the tweaker who likes to play around.
Audyssey’s position is to perform steps 4 to 6 above.

Scott
cuzzin likes this.

Panasonic 2013 55VT60
Marantz SR-5005 AVR
B&W 805 Speakers
Velodyne 15" Sub
TiVO Roamo OTA
post #71857 of 71860 Old Yesterday, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Oakley View Post
I don't think so. I had a similar result and someone on here chastised me and told me to re-run until the trim was lower. I said the hell with wit cuz it sounded good to me....
But, it could sound better and you'll never know.
Scott Oakley likes this.
post #71858 of 71860 Old Yesterday, 10:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 41
When you turn Audyssey to OFF and listen, there is obviously a lack of highs, is this actually the speakers real sound reacting within the acoustics of that room?
Pure clean sound the speaker produces in any said location, un-coloured by Audyssey or any other EQ system.

Is this an accurate statement?
post #71859 of 71860 Old Today, 04:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked: 1262
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
When you turn Audyssey to OFF and listen, there is obviously a lack of highs, is this actually the speakers real sound reacting within the acoustics of that room?
Pure clean sound the speaker produces in any said location, un-coloured by Audyssey or any other EQ system.

When you put a speaker into a room, what you hear is the combined sound of the speaker and the room. (With subwoofers it is almost all the room).

When you put a speaker into an untreated or poorly treated room, then the room will add distortions of its own caused by modes and unwanted reflections.

When you properly treat a room, the room will have less malign influence on the sound departing from the speaker.

When you EQ the sound before it gets to the speaker, you have the opportunity to correct for the malign influence of the room by creating filters which 'cancel out' those malign influences, as far as EQ is able to do so - EQ cannot cancel out nulls for example.

There is no such thing as 'pure, clean sound' produced by a speaker, unless you are thinking of it in an anechoic environment. Once the speaker goes into a room it interacts with it. Acoustic treatment can, if it is well conceived and executed, considerably reduce that interaction and EQ can help reduce it if used in isolation or help improve the results of physical treatments if used alongside them.

When you have EQd the speaker/room with Audyssey, and then you turn it off, you are hearing the room's influences on the sound once more. You are NOT hearing the 'pure sound' of the speaker - just the malign influences on the sound (peaks, dips, etc etc) on the speaker: the speaker/room combination.
post #71860 of 71860 Old Today, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post

Actually whenever you turn "Audyssey" off you not only turn off MultEQ but you also turn off DynEQ at the same time (with the exception of some Onkyo models) therefore you will obviously lack highs (and lows as well) whenever you are listening at lower than 0 dB Master Volume setting.

In this case the compensation for ear characteristics is taken away, and that is what you hear.

This has nothing to do with speaker-room interaction, it works the same outside.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Receivers Amplifiers , Kef Kht1005 2se 5 1 Subwoofer Satellite System With C4 Subwoofer Gloss White , 5 6 7 1 7 2 Or 8 1 8 2 One Or Two Subwoofer Compatible 16 Banana Post 2 Rca Speaker Wall Plate For H
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page