post #72181 of 72803 Old 08-27-2014, 04:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2125 Post(s)
Liked: 2076
Quote:
Originally Posted by garygarrison View Post
You were a "Mad Man?" Is the TV series (Madmen) authentic?
LOL. Depends what you mean by authentic. It is based on real life in an ad agency but it is 'exaggerated'. Working in advertising is certainly the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygarrison View Post
I remember when I bought a Teac reel to reel that was advertized as having "hiss virtually below the limit of audibility." It hissed like a puff-adder in heat. I called Teac to complain, and they finally connected me with one of their engineers. He said, "Sometimes we have problems with our advertizing department."
You can’t get away with those sort of claims these days - there's too much regulation. What I'd say now, for that same RTR machine is "no tape machine has lower levels of hiss than the Teac XXX..." Meaningless, but sounds good
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72182 of 72803 Old 08-27-2014, 04:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post
Should the Board here be able to get down to minute details of your query, you will surely benefit with a final solution, yet, another chapter may be added by Keith to the Audyssey FAQ for onward future reference.
'Pumping' is normally a term associated with tech like Dynamic Volume which compress dynamic range. I cannot recall anyone else ever having said that DEQ gives rise to a 'pumping' effect. I am happy to update the FAQ at any time, but this seems like a single, outlier case, so is best ignored IMO.
post #72183 of 72803 Old 08-27-2014, 04:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
It seems unlikely that DSX would give better surround envelopment when it is reducing the level of the surrounds by a full 3dB.
It depends on what the surround level is without DSX... if that is 3dB too high with Dynamic EQ, then a 3dB reduction makes it perfect.
post #72184 of 72803 Old 08-27-2014, 05:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post
It depends on what the surround level is without DSX... if that is 3dB too high with Dynamic EQ, then a 3dB reduction makes it perfect.
Haha - good point! Two wrongs make a right!
post #72185 of 72803 Old 08-27-2014, 05:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Haha - good point! Two wrongs make a right!
We *could* interpret it like this: Audyssey silently acknowledged that the surround level indeed was too high with Dynamic EQ and therefore they "fixed" it with the DSX surround reduction. I think Roger alluded to that a long time ago.

If I remember correcly, DSX does the reduction even if Dynamic EQ is not enabled and that would indeed cause a too low surround level (if we assume Dynamic EQ sets it too high of course...).

Last edited by rickardl; 08-27-2014 at 05:38 AM.
post #72186 of 72803 Old 08-27-2014, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
This is covered in the FAQ.

There are two basic guidelines that apply here:

1) you want "line of sight" from the microphone to the speaker. If the microphones line to the speaker is physically blocked by the couch back then obviously it will not be able to accurately "hear" the frequency response of the speaker.

2) you want to avoid boundaries / reflective surfaces, with at least 10" or so of clearance between the couch back and mic.

So, putting those together, make sure the mic is far enough forward from the couch back to avoid reflections, but high enough that the mic has clear line of sight to the surround speakers. If you want to measure a position or two behind the MLP then place the mic above the couch back.

My receiver has Audyssey XT32 with Sub EQ HT.
The sofa (main seating area) is up against the back wall.
So putting the microphone behind the sofa won't work.

Moving the recommended Audyssey eight position microphone placement, further ahead of its target area, is a better altetnative, if I'm reading your response correctly?
The microphone doesn't have to be above the sofas headrest,
as long as there's 10" of clearance?

Benq W1080ST DLP 3D Projector
Sony BDP-S5200 3D Blu-ray Player
Denon X4000 Receiver
Pioneer SP-FS52 Tower Speaker x 4
Pioneer SP-C22 Center Channel Speaker
PSA XS15se Subwoofer x 2
post #72187 of 72803 Old 08-27-2014, 08:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
We *could* interpret it like this: Audyssey silently acknowledged that the surround level indeed was too high with Dynamic EQ and therefore they "fixed" it with the DSX surround reduction. I think Roger alluded to that a long time ago.

If I remember correcly, DSX does the reduction even if Dynamic EQ is not enabled and that would indeed cause a too low surround level (if we assume Dynamic EQ sets it too high of course...).
I listen at about -5dB so DEQ isn't doing too much here (for a long time I ran a RLO of 5, effectively nullifying DEQ for my regular listening) so the surround overboost doesn't bother me. What did bother me was the way DSX shifted everything to the front.
post #72188 of 72803 Old 08-27-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat4843 View Post
My receiver has Audyssey XT32 with Sub EQ HT.
The sofa (main seating area) is up against the back wall.
So putting the microphone behind the sofa won't work.

Moving the recommended Audyssey eight position microphone placement, further ahead of its target area, is a better altetnative, if I'm reading your response correctly?
The microphone doesn't have to be above the sofas headrest,
as long as there's 10" of clearance?
It doesn't have to be raised, but it can be. Some people have claimed to get a better result when a couple of the measurements are taken above and below the primary listening position.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #72189 of 72803 Old 08-27-2014, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I started a thread over in the DIY area, but I thought I would post here as well since my thread isn't getting much traffic.

I have recently finished building 2 sealed LMS Ultra subs, each to be powered by a QSC rmx 4050hd (4k watts per sub), and I'm getting ready to EQ them.

I'm curious if anyone here is using XT32 in conjunction with a Mini-DSP? And if so what is the preferred method for using the two together.

My thought is to let audyssey do it's thing, then add any filters to the Mini after? My understanding is that if you add any kind of EQ pre audyssey, it will try to correct what you have already done. Audyssey will not know that the shelf filter I added is caused by my room, or if I added it on purpose, so it will try to get it flat.

I plan to place my subs, start audyssey, adjust gains on my amps until I meet reference, then set audyssey loose. After audyssey I will probably add. HPF at like 15hz, until I get a chance to use REW to measure what is going on in my room.

Will this work for a quick set up? I'm having a BBQ this weekend and I want to show off a little. I know I can get more of of my system later when I sit down to do measurements and apply a LT.

So if anyone is using XT32 with a mini I would like to hear how you are doing it, and a step by step would be sweet

I'm a noob to the EQ stuff so any help would be appreciated.
post #72190 of 72803 Old 08-27-2014, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 364
I copied and pasted this from another thread but wanted to post my impressions here:

Quote:
That is a very good point. So what you are saying is that during the cal, Audyssey will check for whatever speakers are there and then send tones to, and calibrate for, all of them, even though not all can be played simultaneously. That makes sense.
Oh how I can't wait to hear ALL of those chirps and god forbid if I need to recalibrate...
post #72191 of 72803 Old 08-27-2014, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 726 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingNirvana View Post
I started a thread over in the DIY area, but I thought I would post here as well since my thread isn't getting much traffic.

I have recently finished building 2 sealed LMS Ultra subs, each to be powered by a QSC rmx 4050hd (4k watts per sub), and I'm getting ready to EQ them.

I'm curious if anyone here is using XT32 in conjunction with a Mini-DSP? And if so what is the preferred method for using the two together.

My thought is to let audyssey do it's thing, then add any filters to the Mini after? My understanding is that if you add any kind of EQ pre audyssey, it will try to correct what you have already done. Audyssey will not know that the shelf filter I added is caused by my room, or if I added it on purpose, so it will try to get it flat.

I plan to place my subs, start audyssey, adjust gains on my amps until I meet reference, then set audyssey loose. After audyssey I will probably add. HPF at like 15hz, until I get a chance to use REW to measure what is going on in my room.

Will this work for a quick set up? I'm having a BBQ this weekend and I want to show off a little. I know I can get more of of my system later when I sit down to do measurements and apply a LT.

So if anyone is using XT32 with a mini I would like to hear how you are doing it, and a step by step would be sweet

Nope, you pretty much got it. Below is my standard procedure for dual subs with Audyssey.

As far as EQ with the MiniDSP, are you aware that REW will generate filters for your MiniDSP based on your measured response? Play around with the EQ panel, it's pretty cool. If you need more instruction, just let us know.

I prefer to EQ post-Audyssey myself as well.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Set the gain on both subs to the same level - around 12:00-2:00 on the gain knob is a good starting point (just a starting point, gain structure can vary greatly from one manufacturer to another). Set phase to "0" on both subs for now.

1. Connect sub #1 only and place it at the MLP
2. Do the sub crawl to determine the best position for sub #1
3. Place sub #1 in that position
4. Connect both subs and place sub #2 at the MLP (with sub #1 playing as well)
5. Do the sub crawl to determine the best position for sub #2
6. Place sub #2 in that position
7. Playing the AVRs test tone, adjust phase on one of the subs until you get the maximum SPL at the MLP (could be variable or a simple 0/180 switch)
8. Run Audyssey, first mic position only, and "calculate"
9. Look to see where Audyssey has set your sub trim, you want it to be around -5db to -8db ideally
10. Adjust the gain on both subs by the same amount up or down as needed
11. Repeat 8-10 until you get the sub trim around -5db to -8db
12. Run the full Audyssey calibration
13. Bump up the sub trim by 3db to 6db to your preference
14. Enjoy!

Hope this helps!
post #72192 of 72803 Old 08-27-2014, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

DSX has better surround envelopment than PLIIz Height... I didn't realize how right I was...

I decided to do some A/B test with World War Z which has a 7.1 DTS HD MA track.
With DSX, the speakers gave a more seamless impression with good surround envelopment.
I switched to PLIIz Height which made it sound less integrated and the different channels didn't blend together as well.
And worse surround envelopment, especially from the back/rear surrounds I came to notice.

I switched to straight DTS HD MA listening mode and suddenly the rear surrounds kicked in again.
What the heck was happening??
I setup the Oppo player in A-B Reapet mode so it would play the same sequence over and over again
while I switched between DSX, PLIIz Height and straight DTS HD MA listening mode and it was clear,
PLIIz Height didn't make a lot of use of the rear surrounds.
At 52 minutes 36 seconds there is an engine roar that pans from the Right surround to the back surrounds with DSX and DTS HD MA, with PLIIz Height, it stayed in the Right surround.
That was not the only place where it happened but a very easy spot to verify with.
I then put in Spears&Munsil 2nd Edition HD Benchmark which has discrete test tones for DTS HD MA 7.1
and was kind of shocked to hear that the Right rear surround channel was played in the Right surround speaker!
The same for the Left rear surround which ended up in the Left surround speaker.
With DSX and straight DTS HD MA listening mode, it came from the correct speakers.
I then switched to Dolby TrueHD in the setup for the disc and tried the test tones again.
And what do you know? The Right rear surround channel was played in the Right rear speaker and the Left rear surround channel was played in the Left rear speaker, just as it should be!

So, it must be a bug in my Onkyo TX-NR3008 where PLIIz Height is malfunctioning with DTS HD MA 7.1 tracks but works fine with Dolby TrueHD 7.1 tracks.

Last edited by rickardl; 08-27-2014 at 12:10 PM.
post #72193 of 72803 Old 08-27-2014, 12:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 1544
Quote:
With DSX, the speakers gave a more seamless impression with good surround envelopment.
I switched to PLIIz Height which made it sound less integrated and the different channels didn't blend together as well.
This is the "Surround Envelopment Processing" portion of DSX. As we've discussed, DSX monkeys with the surround levels and decorrelates them (in addition whatever proprietary secret sauce is happening) which is probably what you are hearing. I've heard it and think it's very effective.

Marketing Blurb: In addition to creating new Wide and Height channels, Audyssey DSX also provides Surround Envelopment Processing to enhance the envelopment of the Surround and Back Surround channels (if present). Audyssey DSX Surround Envelopment Processing processes the standard surround signals in the time and frequency domains to improve the perceived sense of envelopment and blending with the other speakers in the surround system.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #72194 of 72803 Old 08-27-2014, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
DSX has better surround envelopment than PLIIz Height... I didn't realize how right I was...

I decided to do some A/B test with World War Z which has a 7.1 DTS HD MA track.
And worse surround envelopment, especially from the back/rear surrounds I came to notice.

I switched to straight DTS HD MA listening mode and suddenly the rear surrounds kicked in again.
What the heck was happening??
I setup the Oppo player in A-B Reapet mode so it would play the same sequence over and over again
while I switched between DSX, PLIIz Height and straight DTS HD MA listening mode and it was clear,
PLIIz Height didn't make a lot of use of the rear surrounds.
At 52 minutes 36 seconds there is an engine roar that pans from the Right surround to the back surrounds with DSX and DTS HD MA, with PLIIz Height, it stayed in the Right surround.
That was not the only place where it happened but a very easy spot to verify with.
I then put in Spears&Munsil 2nd Edition HD Benchmark which has discrete test tones for DTS HD MA 7.1
and was kind of shocked to hear that the Right rear surround channel was played in the Right surround speaker!
The same for the Left rear surround which ended up in the Left surround speaker.
With DSX and straight DTS HD MA listening mode, it came from the correct speakers.
I then switched to Dolby TrueHD in the setup for the disc and tried the test tones again.
And what do you know? The Right rear surround channel was played in the Right rear speaker and the Left rear surround channel was played in the Left rear speaker, just as it should be!

So, it must be a bug in my Onkyo TX-NR3008 where PLIIz Height is malfunctioning with DTS HD MA 7.1 tracks but works fine with Dolby TrueHD 7.1 tracks.
Very interesting. Thanks for taking the time to try this. Now I don't have rear surrounds, so my experience may well be different simply because of that. But I find that DSX kills the surround envelopment almost totally - presumably because it lowers the SPL of the surrounds so much, and at the same time kicks in the front height speakers - this gives a very front-centric presentation. This doesn't happen with PLIIz or Neo:X at all.

Why yours should be different for TrueHD and DTS HD-MA is a mystery. Maybe be a bug as you say.
post #72195 of 72803 Old 08-27-2014, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
This is the "Surround Envelopment Processing" portion of DSX. As we've discussed, DSX monkeys with the surround levels and decorrelates them (in addition whatever proprietary secret sauce is happening) which is probably what you are hearing. I've heard it and think it's very effective.

Marketing Blurb: In addition to creating new Wide and Height channels, Audyssey DSX also provides Surround Envelopment Processing to enhance the envelopment of the Surround and Back Surround channels (if present). Audyssey DSX Surround Envelopment Processing processes the standard surround signals in the time and frequency domains to improve the perceived sense of envelopment and blending with the other speakers in the surround system.
Except, IME, it doesn't. By lowering the surrounds so much, and at the same time producing almost a copy of the FR and FL speaker signal in the FRH and FHL speakers, it results in a giant 'wall of sound' in front of you, at the expense of surround envelopment. I find it quite horrible. It is impressive on first hearing, but after a while you notice that the surrounds have more or less disappeared. I should note that this is without Dynamic EQ engaged, or barely engaged. With DEQ and a MV of, say, -15, the effect may well be entirely different.

It's all preference anyway, and as soon as I get my hands on Dolby Surround, PLIIz, Neo:X and DSX will be consigned to the dustbin of history in my HT, I expect, based on reports from those who have heard it to date.
post #72196 of 72803 Old 08-27-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Except, IME, it doesn't. By lowering the surrounds so much, and at the same time producing almost a copy of the FR and FL speaker signal in the FRH and FHL speakers, it results in a giant 'wall of sound' in front of you, at the expense of surround envelopment. I find it quite horrible....
This was my experience as well...I have to admit sometimes when I do A/B comparisons on certain things there are close calls but using Heights and Rears in a 9.1 configuration it was obvious that PLIIz worked better in our room.
post #72197 of 72803 Old 08-27-2014, 07:13 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
If you do decide to try your idea of toeing-in and then restoring your speakers, I will be very interested in your results. I would expect that to help with the over-boosted highs, if in fact that is the culprit. But I also wonder if you may find yourself then needing to increase the trim levels on your fronts. If so, no problem. As you know from reading the last couple of pages, and the FAQ, that won't affect the calibration.

I was also wondering if even a slight toe-in might be possible; not pointed directly at the MLP, but just biased very slightly inward? You never know if you might be just barely outside the horizontal dispersion radius of your tweeters. As I noted, I was surprised that just a modest adjustment (about 2" more) to mine made a difference. You never know, something subtle might pass WAF. It will be interesting to hear how you get on.
So, i thought I'd check in to share my findings. I started by toeing in my speakers facing directly at the MLP and ran Audyssey once again. Unfortunately this did not cut the over-boosted highs. In fact I could swear it made it worse. It also boosted my surrounds to a ridiculous level. Back to the drawing board.

Next I put on a record and slowly moved the fronts back and forth until the vocals actually sounded like they were coming from the center speaker. I read somewhere on some thread this is a good way to go about it...not sure if it's correct, but I'll try anything at this point. It ended up being around a 2" toe in. I also think at this point my wife just wants me to be satisfied with the sound so I'll stop running Audyssey. I reran Audyssey following the same configuration, but this time going in a different order (first position of corse being the MLP). Another recommendation for something that worked for someone on some thread. Low and behold, I got some warmth back. Still not perfect, but I believe the speakers are to blame at this point. I'm content now, but of corse I'd always like to improve. Which leads me to another questions that's been rollin' around in my brain...

Before I purchased the Marantz SR7007 (XT) I discovered with my Denon 1910 (MultEQ) that reversing the phase on the sub resulted in better/more bass. I was wondering with that finding would it be better to run Audyssey with the subs phase reversed with the Marantz? Would it make a difference, or does XT's sub EQ make up for it?
post #72198 of 72803 Old 08-27-2014, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by o CUBBY o View Post
So, i thought I'd check in to share my findings. I started by toeing in my speakers facing directly at the MLP and ran Audyssey once again. Unfortunately this did not cut the over-boosted highs. In fact I could swear it made it worse. It also boosted my surrounds to a ridiculous level. Back to the drawing board.

Next I put on a record and slowly moved the fronts back and forth until the vocals actually sounded like they were coming from the center speaker. I read somewhere on some thread this is a good way to go about it...not sure if it's correct, but I'll try anything at this point. It ended up being around a 2" toe in. I also think at this point my wife just wants me to be satisfied with the sound so I'll stop running Audyssey. I reran Audyssey following the same configuration, but this time going in a different order (first position of corse being the MLP). Another recommendation for something that worked for someone on some thread. Low and behold, I got some warmth back. Still not perfect, but I believe the speakers are to blame at this point. I'm content now, but of corse I'd always like to improve. Which leads me to another questions that's been rollin' around in my brain...

Before I purchased the Marantz SR7007 (XT) I discovered with my Denon 1910 (MultEQ) that reversing the phase on the sub resulted in better/more bass. I was wondering with that finding would it be better to run Audyssey with the subs phase reversed with the Marantz? Would it make a difference, or does XT's sub EQ make up for it?

Did you ever try a mic position say 6" higher than what your currently using. I found when I had a similar problem raising the mic level reduced the highs and did introduce more warmth.

If the top of the mic is lower than the tweeter XT32 compensates and seems to boost the highs, at least in my situation it does using horns.
post #72199 of 72803 Old 08-27-2014, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked: 572
Quote:
'Pumping' is normally a term associated with tech like Dynamic Volume which compress dynamic range. I cannot recall anyone else ever having said that DEQ gives rise to a 'pumping' effect. I am happy to update the FAQ at any time, but this seems like a single, outlier case, so is best ignored IMO.
Matrixing too, ...dynamic expander, dynamic compression, digital equalization, digital delay, etc.

* Lol, if there is only one different voice in a full orchestral opera just ignore it. ...Nice.
post #72200 of 72803 Old 08-28-2014, 04:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 290
Discuss the topic and not each other.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #72201 of 72803 Old 08-28-2014, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Quote:
Except, IME, it doesn't. By lowering the surrounds so much, and at the same time producing almost a copy of the FR and FL speaker signal in the FRH and FHL speakers, it results in a giant 'wall of sound' in front of you, at the expense of surround envelopment. I find it quite horrible. It is impressive on first hearing, but after a while you notice that the surrounds have more or less disappeared. I should note that this is without Dynamic EQ engaged, or barely engaged. With DEQ and a MV of, say, -15, the effect may well be entirely different.

It's all preference anyway, and as soon as I get my hands on Dolby Surround, PLIIz, Neo:X and DSX will be consigned to the dustbin of history in my HT, I expect, based on reports from those who have heard it to date.

I've settled on NeoX instead of DSX, Keith I thought you also use NeoX?
However like you I'll upgrade to Atmos/object sound in future.
Fun hobby, spend $$, listen and enjoy.

Via Mikes brain/thumb interface, LLAP
post #72202 of 72803 Old 08-28-2014, 05:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
I've settled on NeoX instead of DSX, Keith I thought you also use NeoX?
I do use Neo:X as well as PLIIz. I like them both, and they seem to be suited to different movies. But usually I use PLIIz, and sometimes switch to Neo:X just for fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
However like you I'll upgrade to Atmos/object sound in future.
Yep, I can't wait. Installing ceiling speakers this weekend. AVR comes end of next month. I switched to Denon from Onkyo since the latter dropped Audyssey.
post #72203 of 72803 Old 08-28-2014, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Matrixing too, ...dynamic expander, dynamic compression, digital equalization, digital delay, etc.
These last two things have nothing to do with pumping, as they are both completely linear. However equalization (any, not just digital) reduces the total headroom of the system, and so if you do it too much you can over-drive the amps for example causing clipping (or gain compression) artifacts that can be perceived as pumping...

Dynamic EQ, on the other place do (purposely) compress dynamic range, so - it can cause pumping by itself. How perceivable it is to everyone I don't know, I've never felt it pumps (while Dynamic Volume pumping is terrifying) but it definitely 'colors' the sound to some extent. Still for me with DynEQ is better than without it. But I reduce surround levels a bit to avoid unnatural highlighting of it (in movies) and RLO (for other content).
post #72204 of 72803 Old 08-28-2014, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingNirvana View Post

Nope, you pretty much got it. Below is my standard procedure for dual subs with Audyssey.

As far as EQ with the MiniDSP, are you aware that REW will generate filters for your MiniDSP based on your measured response? Play around with the EQ panel, it's pretty cool. If you need more instruction, just let us know.

I prefer to EQ post-Audyssey myself as well.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Set the gain on both subs to the same level - around 12:00-2:00 on the gain knob is a good starting point (just a starting point, gain structure can vary greatly from one manufacturer to another). Set phase to "0" on both subs for now.

1. Connect sub #1 only and place it at the MLP
2. Do the sub crawl to determine the best position for sub #1
3. Place sub #1 in that position
4. Connect both subs and place sub #2 at the MLP (with sub #1 playing as well)
5. Do the sub crawl to determine the best position for sub #2
6. Place sub #2 in that position
7. Playing the AVRs test tone, adjust phase on one of the subs until you get the maximum SPL at the MLP (could be variable or a simple 0/180 switch)
8. Run Audyssey, first mic position only, and "calculate"
9. Look to see where Audyssey has set your sub trim, you want it to be around -5db to -8db ideally
10. Adjust the gain on both subs by the same amount up or down as needed
11. Repeat 8-10 until you get the sub trim around -5db to -8db
12. Run the full Audyssey calibration
13. Bump up the sub trim by 3db to 6db to your preference
14. Enjoy!

Hope this helps!
This sounds like a good plan.....but since I am using pro amps, there is no phase adjustment. There is a phase adjustment in the Mini-DSP, but just for a quick set up doesn't audyssey set phase? Well maybe not phase.....but it sets distances right? Isn't distance and phase kinda the same thing?
post #72205 of 72803 Old 08-28-2014, 10:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked: 1544
If you have XT32 there is no reason to twiddle with the phase knobs because it will equalize time delays for the two subs.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #72206 of 72803 Old 08-28-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

batpig - is that true for all XT32 AVRs/Pre-pros? I thought only a few actually set distance for 2 subs separately. I do not have XT32 so I don't know for sure though.
post #72207 of 72803 Old 08-28-2014, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 464
There were a couple of Onkyo models which included XT32 without SubEQ (the dual subwoofer support). For details, see the PDF in this entry of the Audyssey FAQ: a)14. Which current AVRs have which version of Audyssey room correction?

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #72208 of 72803 Old 08-28-2014, 11:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
There were a couple of Onkyo models which included XT32 without SubEQ (the dual subwoofer support). For details, see the PDF in this entry of the Audyssey FAQ: a)14. Which current AVRs have which version of Audyssey room correction?
Which reminds me to update that FAQ answer - thanks!
post #72209 of 72803 Old 08-28-2014, 11:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
batpig - is that true for all XT32 AVRs/Pre-pros? I thought only a few actually set distance for 2 subs separately. I do not have XT32 so I don't know for sure though.
Almost, but not all, units with XT32 have SubEQ HT, which is the bit that sets levels and delays separately for 2 subs.
post #72210 of 72803 Old 08-28-2014, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys, that's good to know!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Receivers Amplifiers , Kef Kht1005 2se 5 1 Subwoofer Satellite System With C4 Subwoofer Gloss White , 5 6 7 1 7 2 Or 8 1 8 2 One Or Two Subwoofer Compatible 16 Banana Post 2 Rca Speaker Wall Plate For H
Gear in this thread - Kht1005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page