post #72241 of 72249 Old 08-30-2014, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post
I understand that XT has better resolution filters, I get that it's better. What I'd like to know is how much better? How can I value it? Can anyone testify to how much better XT is over the vanilla? I tried searching for some actual comments on the percieved improvements but didn't have any luck. I'm sure it's buried in this thread somewhere, but it's hard to search for.

Very minimal. You probably wouldn't even notice. However, XT32 is a MASSIVE improvement over both. That is the version that you want.

http://www.audyssey.com/technologies/multeq/flavors
Attached Images
File Type: png Audyssey.png (13.9 KB, 97 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72242 of 72249 Old 08-30-2014, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 244
I guess, I'd feel better knowing exactly what they mean by "filter resolution" at 2x. What is this saying in more technical terms?

"The Scuba Tank" thread here
PSN/XBL : ScubaSteve2365
post #72243 of 72249 Old 08-30-2014, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
I guess, I'd feel better knowing exactly what they mean by "filter resolution" at 2x. What is this saying in more technical terms?
It is undisclosed parameter (as Audyssey tells it is not to confuse people - ridiculous excuse, telling this to HT builder is like disguising stiffness of concrete from building architects... not to confuse them).

But you can assume x=1/1500Hz (in terms of FIR filter resolution) as a reverse-engineered value based on available data and measurements.
post #72244 of 72249 Old 08-30-2014, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Presumably the values are the relative numbers of coefficients in the FIR filter algorithms.
Unfortunately, the details are a closely held trade secret.

However, if you are willing to take the time to measure the results using a spectrum analyzer like REW, one can evaluate the improvement in any particular listening environment and often determine what other procedures could be used to improve the room's acoustics. See the REW thread for details.

Selden
post #72245 of 72249 Old 08-30-2014, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
I just purchased an Denon AVRS900W. I initially believed the AVR had MultiEQ XT based on the comparison from Denon's website (see attached image). I guess I'm wrong in that it only includes MultiEQ (non-XT), as it certainly only uses the 6 measuring points during setup.

I understand that XT has better resolution filters, I get that it's better. What I'd like to know is how much better? How can I value it? Can anyone testify to how much better XT is over the vanilla? I tried searching for some actual comments on the percieved improvements but didn't have any luck. I'm sure it's buried in this thread somewhere, but it's hard to search for.
Hi, according to several experts Audyssey MultEQ XT32 is the true beneficial Auto Room EQ.
Anything else below (inferior flavors, including XT, MultEQ, and 2EQ) are missing some essence.

When Audyssey was first introduced to the mass population in our AV receivers back in 2006, it was revolutionary.
With years passing by, XT32 was the most impressive improvement, and we discovered how much more, compared to the other Audyssey flavors below. ...Also, a receiver that is Audyssey MultEQ Pro Capable is another higher notch if you are going to buy a licence with the Pro kit (about $600 extra).

Audyssey MultEQ has a very fair amount of filters in the bass (subwoofer), very good, as a fact as much as Audyssey MultEQ XT (I believe).

The thing with less than XT32 is the less than perfect EQuing all around; mids, highs, and bass too, plus only one sub.

Nowadays, we have YPAO, MCACC, AccuEQ, ARC, and Audyssey. ...Plus MiniDSP and Dirac Live.
There are several others too but those are the mainstream ones.

Audyssey MultEQ XT32 is the way to go. I think. ...Less in the family is ok, but less nonetheless.
post #72246 of 72249 Old 08-30-2014, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus33 View Post
Very minimal. You probably wouldn't even notice.
However, XT32 is a MASSIVE improvement over both. That is the version that you want.

http://www.audyssey.com/technologies/multeq/flavors
That! ^
post #72247 of 72249 Old 08-30-2014, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Here the numbers don't mean much @ all. ...It is the measurements before and after that count. ...Graphs.
And what you hear, from those representative graphs, in your room. ...Happiness.
post #72248 of 72249 Old 08-30-2014, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Thanks for the responses guys. I don't feel that bad about it now, seeing something like "2x" and not knowing what it means gave pause.

On my previous receiver, a yammy, I did setup more manually with REW. It appears I cannot tweak any frequency response (EQ) and keep Audyssey active, but can I tweak distance and work in the time domain? I'd like to take the sub delay down to 0 (I have a minidsp) and verify/massage the other delays as needed if I discover things in REW while Audyssey is active (I like the dynamic and other functions)
post #72249 of 72249 Old 08-30-2014, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Steve, if I was you, I would return the Denon receiver, or sell it, and search for (get):

♦ Onkyo TX-NR818 AV receiver or
♦ Onkyo TX-NR929 AVR or
♦ Denon AVR-4311CI or
♦ Denon AVR-4520CI or
♦ Denon AVR-X4100W (with D Atmos & DS) or
♦ Denon AVR-X5200W AV receiver (Dolby Atmos, and Dolby Surround "upmixer").

* You want Audyssey MultEQ XT32, and you don't want to pay too much to obtain it, and you might also want Dolby Atmos and Dolby Surround. ...If I was you.

...And of course unless someone has a better idea or two.

Last edited by NorthSky; 08-30-2014 at 05:31 PM. Reason: ...
post #72250 of 72249 Old 08-30-2014, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Hi, according to several experts Audyssey MultEQ XT32 is the true beneficial Auto Room EQ.
Anything else below (inferior flavors, including XT, MultEQ, and 2EQ) are missing some essence.

When Audyssey was first introduced to the mass population in our AV receivers back in 2006, it was revolutionary.
With years passing by, XT32 was the most impressive improvement, and we discovered how much more, compared to the other Audyssey flavors below. ...Also, a receiver that is Audyssey MultEQ Pro Capable is another higher notch if you are going to buy a licence with the Pro kit (about $600 extra).

Audyssey MultEQ has a very fair amount of filters in the bass (subwoofer), very good, as a fact as much as Audyssey MultEQ XT (I believe).

The thing with less than XT32 is the less than perfect EQuing all around; mids, highs, and bass too, plus only one sub.

Nowadays, we have YPAO, MCACC, AccuEQ, ARC, and Audyssey. ...Plus MiniDSP and Dirac Live.
There are several others too but those are the mainstream ones.

Audyssey MultEQ XT32 is the way to go. I think. ...Less in the family is ok, but less nonetheless.
But XT32 still doesn't give a perfect crossover between subs and mains. We still need to manually adjust the subwoofer distance for proper integration. Audyssey should do something about this. I hope XT32 will get a successor.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Receivers Amplifiers , Kef Kht1005 2se 5 1 Subwoofer Satellite System With C4 Subwoofer Gloss White , 5 6 7 1 7 2 Or 8 1 8 2 One Or Two Subwoofer Compatible 16 Banana Post 2 Rca Speaker Wall Plate For H
Gear in this thread - Kht1005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page