post #72481 of 72494 Old 10-18-2014, 10:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked: 1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangled Cable View Post
Is there a way to save more than one Audyssey calibration? Does the previous calibration just get erased by the current one?
a)6. Is it possible to save and recall an Audyssey MultEQ calibration?

Follow the advice to check out the FAQ and 101. Audyssey should improve the sound not make it worse, and for almost everyone, it does. Chances are there is a setup anomaly. It is meant to be 'automated' but it is far from plug 'n' play, as is witnessed by the fact that this is the longest thread on AVS and that the FAQ runs into dozens of pages with about 80 questions covered.

With perseverance and help from the thread contributors, you will get it working well I am sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72482 of 72494 Old 10-18-2014, 03:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Does Audyssey resample everything to 48khz internally?
post #72483 of 72494 Old 10-18-2014, 03:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by coli View Post
Does Audyssey resample everything to 48khz internally?
No. Your AVR/prepro does that if it doesn't have enough DSP horsepower to run Audyssey at higher resolution. It is not Audyssey, per se, but is implementation specific.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #72484 of 72494 Old 10-18-2014, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've noticed an audio issue that I haven't been able to correct. First, I have a Marantz SR7008 with Audyssey XT32 (thanks to the recommendations I got here). Despite running calibration a couple times, I can't shake an annoying reverb effect on dialogue. What's interesting is that this is present on many, but NOT all blu-rays. For example, it was quite noticeable on Pacific Rim but not on The Wolverine.

I have acoustic panels at the first reflection point as well as directly behind the center seat. I put these up hoping it would tame the room, but I still notice this reverb that leads to muddy dialogue. Is there any manual adjustment I could make to help lessen this?
post #72485 of 72494 Old 10-18-2014, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1567 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
No. Your AVR/prepro does that if it doesn't have enough DSP horsepower to run Audyssey at higher resolution. It is not Audyssey, per se, but is implementation specific.
Maybe, in the future, Denon/Marantz will add a fifth DSP chip (or less, but with much more processing power), and strike a deal with Audyssey, to go above and beyond; 96 and 192kHz. ...Maybe.
post #72486 of 72494 Old 10-18-2014, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathlete View Post
I've noticed an audio issue that I haven't been able to correct. First, I have a Marantz SR7008 with Audyssey XT32 (thanks to the recommendations I got here). Despite running calibration a couple times, I can't shake an annoying reverb effect on dialogue. What's interesting is that this is present on many, but NOT all blu-rays. For example, it was quite noticeable on Pacific Rim but not on The Wolverine.

I have acoustic panels at the first reflection point as well as directly behind the center seat. I put these up hoping it would tame the room, but I still notice this reverb that leads to muddy dialogue. Is there any manual adjustment I could make to help lessen this?
Methinks that you simply hearing what's truly on the movie sound recording (ADR) from the center channel.
I wouldn't sweat about it; it's normal. ..With some films it's more obvious than others.
post #72487 of 72494 Old 10-18-2014, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Methinks that you simply hearing what's truly on the movie sound recording (ADR) from the center channel.
I wouldn't sweat about it; it's normal. ..With some films it's more obvious than others.
That was my friend's contention when he heard it. Maybe I really am just crazy here.
post #72488 of 72494 Old 10-18-2014, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Not crazy, to the contrary; your system is highly resolute, your ears too. ...You can hear exactly what's on the movie soundtracks.
post #72489 of 72494 Old Yesterday, 12:34 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
Maybe, in the future, Denon/Marantz will add a fifth DSP chip (or less, but with much more processing power), and strike a deal with Audyssey, to go above and beyond; 96 and 192kHz. ...Maybe.
No "deal" required, just the DSP to pull it off. They offer it now up to 92KHz and higher - as mentioned here. However, Audyssey would do nothing but pass information above 24KHz unaltered.
post #72490 of 72494 Old Yesterday, 11:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio2xs View Post
No "deal" required, just the DSP to pull it off.
They offer it now up to 92KHz and higher - as mentioned here.
However, Audyssey would do nothing but pass information above 24KHz unaltered.
Yes, you are right; just need more DSP processing power in the receiver, or SSP, that's all.
And then Audyssey can be implemented to provide 96 and 192kHz, higher resolution audio.
It'll come...when DSP chips get more powerful, and more affordable. ...Just like in our Androids.

...And hopefully Onkyo/Integra will see the light. ...Like Denon/Marantz do.

And Dirac Live will be with us more and more. ...Implemented in receivers and SSPs @ very affordable prices. ...Less $ than Audyssey. ...And with better overall sound performance.
post #72491 of 72494 Old Yesterday, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
SVS PC12-NSD Calibration Questions

I just purchased an SVS PC12-NSDsubwoofer. This is replacing a Polk PSW505. I noticed a few thingsAudyssey related I was wondering if anybody had any advice.

1. After running Audyssey I noticed the SVS sub distance was set at 19ft. My old sub calibrated at 7ft (I would say around 7ft is the actual distance.) Is this an issue or is it related to some additional processing the SVS is doing?
  2. In the past I have liked the sub a little hotter than the default Audyssey calibration. I have always had Dynamic EQ on, but I use a RLO of 15 to avoid any surround or sub channel over boosting. My old Polk worked well at +6db above calibration by using the setting in my Denon receiver. I have found I like the SVS around +9db above the calibration. I was wondering if anyone else likes running there SVS sub this hot? I do not listen at reference level, but I do like it somewhat loud on occasion. Should I worry about running the sub this hot? I am wondering if my preference to run the SVS louder than the Polk comes from the SVS flatter response.

Thanks for your help.

Teddy
post #72492 of 72494 Old Yesterday, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

1. Where is your sub in your room; exact position? ...Same position as before with your Polk? ...Near a front corner?
2. Which Audyssey flavor do you have; XT, XT32?
3. Your SVS sub; does it have a DSP EQ in it?
4. On your sub; where is the Gain and Phase set @? ...X-over is bypassed right?
5. After Audyssey calibration; what is your sub level set @? ...From your receiver or pre/pro.

* I would leave the sub distance alone; the internal electrical x-over accounts for what Audyssey gave you (each sub varies).
** I wouldn't add more than say 6dB myself, after calibration, and only if the margin level accommodates it.
*** Usually, people set their sub Gain (before Audyssey) from roughly 1/4 to 1/3 of its rotary volume knob.

<<>> Did you consider to add your Polk sub as well to your entire setup (two subs)?
post #72493 of 72494 Old Yesterday, 09:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 889 Post(s)
Liked: 1421
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyc23 View Post
I just purchased an SVS PC12-NSDsubwoofer. This is replacing a Polk PSW505. I noticed a few thingsAudyssey related I was wondering if anybody had any advice.
1. Extra distance is due to digital filters in the subwoofer. Did you enable the "direct" or crossover bypass mode on the SVS? If not that would definitely explain the extra distance.

2. I think it's less about flatter response and more about quality -- especially distortion, power and headroom / dynamic capability. The SVS is just insanely more capable than the Polk. At levels at which the Polk is struggling and distorting heavily it is breezing along with minimal distortion. When you lower distortion, you can play louder and it doesn't "feel" louder because the sound is cleaner. Many people who upgrade to really good subs are surprised that a high quality sub does not "boom" like their older cheap sub did. It takes a while to acclimate to increased refinement and precision of the superior sub.

Also of course with Dynamic EQ heavily offset its not surprising that you need to boost the sub a bit more than most people. Especially if you listen well below reference, which means you are basically replacing the bass boost that you cut off to spite the surround boost with some manual boost of your own.
ambesolman likes this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Receivers Amplifiers , Kef Kht1005 2se 5 1 Subwoofer Satellite System With C4 Subwoofer Gloss White , 5 6 7 1 7 2 Or 8 1 8 2 One Or Two Subwoofer Compatible 16 Banana Post 2 Rca Speaker Wall Plate For H
Gear in this thread - Kht1005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page