"Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779) - Page 2418 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #72511 of 72532 Old Yesterday, 08:55 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Ok sounds good. Kbarnes do you have a direct link to those? Cant seem to find them in your profile :blush:
Ragepoo is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #72512 of 72532 Old Yesterday, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Selden Ball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: upstate NY
Posts: 7,205
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragepoo View Post
Ok sounds good. Kbarnes do you have a direct link to those? Cant seem to find them in your profile :blush:
I'm not Keith, but...

This links to the FAQ/101 introduction:

"Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779)

Selden
Selden Ball is online now  
post #72513 of 72532 Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Please forgive me for not going through the 2,418 pages before asking this question. I did try the search function, however I did not find anything exact to what I needed. However, I could have been getting the answers and not even know because of my lack of knowledge in the AV world.....

I ran the Audyssey through the Denon 4000 and everything seemed to come out fine except the subwoofer. I am getting very little bass from my sub. I came out with the following:

- Sub level -3.0db
- Dialog level -2.5db
- Speaker/Manual Front, Center, Surround = Small
- Cross over (Front= 80Hz, Center = 100Hz, Surround 80 Hz)
- Bass LFE
- LPF for LFE 120Hz

Recommended by a helpful member on here I turned the Center down to 80, and the LPF for LFE to 80. I was still getting minimal bass output from my subwoofer.

Sub setup: http://www.rythmikaudio.com/download...tion_Guide.pdf

I went back into the instructions from Brian (Rythmik FV15HP) for the room EQ setup and tried to put the Damping on Low (Only thing I changed from original instructions setup) and Audyssey now tells me that my sub is too high (I am reading 81db and it wants 75db).

Please yell at me and tell me how many times this has been answered. And then please provide the link for where that is....



I am running
Denon 4000, Primus 363's, Primus PC351, ProMonitor 800's, and Rythmik FV15HP sub
Autorotate is offline  
post #72514 of 72532 Old Yesterday, 09:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 18,691
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1901 Post(s)
Liked: 1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragepoo View Post
Ok sounds good. Kbarnes do you have a direct link to those? Cant seem to find them in your profile :blush:
They’re in my sig ... down there ...

V
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v

Oh - if you’re using a mobile device you can't see sigs...

In which case...

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...l#post21782993

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...l#post21783025
kbarnes701 is offline  
post #72515 of 72532 Old Yesterday, 10:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 18,691
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1901 Post(s)
Liked: 1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autorotate View Post
Please forgive me for not going through the 2,418 pages before asking this question. I did try the search function, however I did not find anything exact to what I needed. However, I could have been getting the answers and not even know because of my lack of knowledge in the AV world.....

I ran the Audyssey through the Denon 4000 and everything seemed to come out fine except the subwoofer. I am getting very little bass from my sub. I came out with the following:

- Sub level -3.0db
- Dialog level -2.5db
- Speaker/Manual Front, Center, Surround = Small
- Cross over (Front= 80Hz, Center = 100Hz, Surround 80 Hz)
- Bass LFE
- LPF for LFE 120Hz

Recommended by a helpful member on here I turned the Center down to 80, and the LPF for LFE to 80. I was still getting minimal bass output from my subwoofer.

Sub setup: http://www.rythmikaudio.com/download...tion_Guide.pdf

I went back into the instructions from Brian (Rythmik FV15HP) for the room EQ setup and tried to put the Damping on Low (Only thing I changed from original instructions setup) and Audyssey now tells me that my sub is too high (I am reading 81db and it wants 75db).

Please yell at me and tell me how many times this has been answered. And then please provide the link for where that is....



I am running
Denon 4000, Primus 363's, Primus PC351, ProMonitor 800's, and Rythmik FV15HP sub
Again, there's no need top read all 2,418 pages - I condensed the entire wisdom of the thread into the Audyssey FAQ just so nobody would have to make it their life's work to read the thread

There's a whole section on subs, but try these to start:

f)4. If I want to run my subs a little 'hot' where should I make the changes?

f)5. Since I ran Audyssey everything sounds great - but where has my bass gone?
kbarnes701 is offline  
post #72516 of 72532 Old Yesterday, 10:20 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autorotate View Post

Recommended by a helpful member on here I turned the Center down to 80, and the LPF for LFE to 80. I was still getting minimal bass output from my subwoofer.
Put your center and LPF for LFE back where Audyssey set it. The links posted by kbarnes701 do explain things quite well.
audio2xs is offline  
post #72517 of 72532 Old Yesterday, 11:24 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is Audyssey the same thing as Multeq tx32? the sr7008 has this and im wondering if i can use your 101 on Audyssey Kbarnes?


Thanks
Ragepoo is online now  
post #72518 of 72532 Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
batpig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 24,701
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 909 Post(s)
Liked: 1430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragepoo View Post
Is Audyssey the same thing as Multeq tx32? the sr7008 has this and im wondering if i can use your 101 on Audyssey Kbarnes?
Audyssey is a company. The thing for which they are most famous is their automatic calibration / room correction software, which is called MultEQ. They also have other technologies in your receiver like Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume.

The Audyssey FAQ/101 covers all of the above.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
batpig is online now  
post #72519 of 72532 Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 18,691
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1901 Post(s)
Liked: 1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragepoo View Post
Is Audyssey the same thing as Multeq tx32? the sr7008 has this and im wondering if i can use your 101 on Audyssey Kbarnes?


Thanks
Yes - XT32 is one (the best) of the Audyssey 'flavors'.
kbarnes701 is offline  
post #72520 of 72532 Old Yesterday, 12:53 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Im begining to understand how it all works now


There is one thing i need to know first before i get my hands on the sr7008.


I need to know if allready now need to replace my speakers. Here is a bad drawing from paint, but i hope you get the idea







Front speakers are at ear level just beside the tv. Will i gain alot from moving them away from the tv? I read about the triangle, but how much will i gain from it?


And the backspeakers are up below the ceeling (about 2,5 meters up). Do I need to move these Down to ear level and is it good to have them behind the couch?


I understood the part where MultEQ will handle the difference between the distance of the backspeakers and how that wasnt a problem. But do i need to put them in ear level for the best sound?


Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.gif
Views:	20
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	323218  
Ragepoo is online now  
post #72521 of 72532 Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JHAz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3,986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragepoo View Post
Im begining to understand how it all works now


There is one thing i need to know first before i get my hands on the sr7008.


I need to know if allready now need to replace my speakers. Here is a bad drawing from paint, but i hope you get the idea





Front speakers are at ear level just beside the tv. Will i gain alot from moving them away from the tv? I read about the triangle, but how much will i gain from it?


And the backspeakers are up below the ceeling (about 2,5 meters up). Do I need to move these Down to ear level and is it good to have them behind the couch?


I understood the part where MultEQ will handle the difference between the distance of the backspeakers and how that wasnt a problem. But do i need to put them in ear level for the best sound?


Thanks
Most speakers are specified (ie their frequency response is assessed) vertically on axis with the tweeter. How much things change as you get off axis vertically depends on the speaker. Same is true of off axis response horizontally, but there a rolled off response may be better for use in home sized rooms.

Widening the fronts will widen the soundstage. Sounds will come from farther to the left and right, being more spread out. Only you can decide whether it's important to you to do so. It'll sound more like that the mixers heard when they created the movie and/or music with a wider soundstage.

I'll defer to others on surround placement. Mine are somewhat close to but certainly not exactly at ear level (nor, at present, are they at the same height) but it doesn't seem to cause a problem. But there's the possibility that I just don't know what I'm missing. Surrounds can be a little in front of the listening position to a little behind.
JHAz is online now  
post #72522 of 72532 Old Yesterday, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mogorf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 4,419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragepoo View Post
Im begining to understand how it all works now


There is one thing i need to know first before i get my hands on the sr7008.


I need to know if allready now need to replace my speakers. Here is a bad drawing from paint, but i hope you get the idea







Front speakers are at ear level just beside the tv. Will i gain alot from moving them away from the tv? I read about the triangle, but how much will i gain from it?


And the backspeakers are up below the ceeling (about 2,5 meters up). Do I need to move these Down to ear level and is it good to have them behind the couch?


I understood the part where MultEQ will handle the difference between the distance of the backspeakers and how that wasnt a problem. But do i need to put them in ear level for the best sound?


Thanks
Hi Ragepoo,

I do think you need to replace your speakers, actually all of them including your TV in order to get the best out of your new Home Theater system as regards SQ (Sound Quality) prior to running Audyssey. A so-called "cold setup" will do wonders and will help digital room correction systems like Audyssey do their "magic" for you. The drawing itself doesn't help much when you're looking for advice. Care to share some photos of your room? Thx.
mogorf is online now  
post #72523 of 72532 Old Yesterday, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
ambesolman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 3,495
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post
Hi Ragepoo,

I do think you need to replace your speakers, actually all of them including your TV in order to get the best out of your new Home Theater system as regards SQ (Sound Quality) prior to running Audyssey. A so-called "cold setup" will do wonders and will help digital room correction systems like Audyssey do their "magic" for you. The drawing itself doesn't help much when you're looking for advice. Care to share some photos of your room? Thx.

How exactly will replacing his TV improve the sound quality?[emoji19]


Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still [emoji107]
ambesolman is online now  
post #72524 of 72532 Old Yesterday, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mogorf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 4,419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
How exactly will replacing his TV improve the sound quality?[emoji19]


Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still [emoji107]
While replacing the speakers in his room which could result in a total rearrangement of his layout, like perhaps a 90 degree in-room shift will inevitably require the replacement of the TV as well. His drawing does not allow further considerations on whether my idea is possible or not, but a few photos may easily reveal what should be done. WAF and stuff are the next issues to be considered. But let's go step by step when trying to help out a new member. Agree?
mogorf is online now  
post #72525 of 72532 Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 7,544
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 747 Post(s)
Liked: 790
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
How exactly will replacing his TV improve the sound quality?[emoji19]


Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still [emoji107]
Perhaps Feri meant to say re-position the speakers and TV. My advice would be to arrange the room with a symmetric layout, which generally improves audio performance, since reflections from left and right are coming from walls at the same distance. Of course, without additional information from the OP, we don't know if this is possible in his listening room.
AustinJerry is online now  
post #72526 of 72532 Old Yesterday, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mogorf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 4,419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Perhaps Feri meant to say re-position the speakers and TV. My advice would be to arrange the room with a symmetric layout, which generally improves audio performance, since reflections from left and right are coming from walls at the same distance. Of course, without additional information from the OP, we don't know if this is possible in his listening room.
Thanks Jerry,

Re-positioning is da right word here, indeed. Replacing may mean buy other speakers, eh? Ok, let's wait for the OP to come back with more info on his room and speaker details. Take care.
mogorf is online now  
post #72527 of 72532 Old Yesterday, 03:37 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
How exactly will replacing his TV improve the sound quality?
Don't know, but replacing the speakers will make the TV look better....
audio2xs is offline  
post #72528 of 72532 Old Yesterday, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mogorf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 4,419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio2xs View Post
Put your center and LPF for LFE back where Audyssey set it. The links posted by kbarnes701 do explain things quite well.
For your ref. Audyssey does not set LPF of LFE in the AVR. It's user selectable on most AVRs, yet it's always best when set to 120 Hz (default). The LFE (aka 0.1 channel) in accordance with film industrial standards will not contain anything above that frequency. Hope this helps.
mogorf is online now  
post #72529 of 72532 Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member
 
mogorf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 4,419
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by audio2xs View Post
Don't know, but replacing the speakers will make the TV look better....
Actually TV will look the same regardless of where it is placed in the room, yet it's the sound that will make a whole-a-lotta difference to the listeners' ears. Stay tuned for this conversation.
mogorf is online now  
post #72530 of 72532 Old Yesterday, 04:23 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post
Actually TV will look the same regardless of where it is placed in the room, yet it's the sound that will make a whole-a-lotta difference to the listeners' ears. Stay tuned for this conversation.
It will actually look better in some locations and worse in others. Reflections, ambient light, good sight lines, not too high, not too far or near, all of that.

I think it was back in the early 1980s that mixers discovered while mixing a track to a black and white work print, that when they saw the film in color the track sounded 3dB louder. There actually is a connection.
audio2xs is offline  
post #72531 of 72532 Old Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy
Posts: 235
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post
For your ref. Audyssey does not set LPF of LFE in the AVR. It's user selectable on most AVRs, yet it's always best when set to 120 Hz (default). The LFE (aka 0.1 channel) in accordance with film industrial standards will not contain anything above that frequency. Hope this helps.
Yes, good point, I kind of messed that up. LFE is authored with material up to 120Hz, so that's the only correct setting. I'm not sure if it were manually set to something else that Audyssey might not reset it to the default of 120Hz when cal is run, but it's supposed to be 120.
audio2xs is offline  
post #72532 of 72532 Old Yesterday, 09:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
Again, there's no need top read all 2,418 pages - I condensed the entire wisdom of the thread into the Audyssey FAQ just so nobody would have to make it their life's work to read the thread

There's a whole section on subs, but try these to start:

f)4. If I want to run my subs a little 'hot' where should I make the changes?

f)5. Since I ran Audyssey everything sounds great - but where has my bass gone?
Thank you very much for providing this link. I have just made it through majority of it. I learned some interesting things, but this is only the tip of the iceberg for me.

Just to recap:

1) I am already plugged into my LFE port

2) I should try turning up my gain and then run Audyssey again? Rythmik instructions
recommended the gain at 0db for setup. What should I set the gain to?

3) I read that you can bypass the Audyssey initial setting of 75db. Mark Seaton recommended this in your post. I could not find a way to bypass it. It was making me either turn down my volume on the sub or cancel that I was going to use a sub for testing. I could not even keep my sub at mid volume for testing purposes.

4) After running MultEq, I should then run Dynamic Eq?

5) Turn off Dynamic Volume and make sure Dynamic Eq is turned on?


Earlier in the day before I posted this, I tried listening the the Audyssey subwoofer "too loud" and turning down the volume until I reached 75db. I also set the extension filter to high. Other than those two adjustments, I left all the recommended setup instructions from Rythmik. I will include pictures of my results. I then went into the settings manually and set the large speakers to "small" and the bass level from -5db to +3db. I did notice a considerable difference in the bass output when I put some music on. However, this time I also turned the volume (on the sub) up over half way and had a ton of background noise.

Results below from the following settings:

LFE Delay/Phase: 0
PEQ:Off Crossover: Max
Gain:0db Volume:Under middle (Required to get lower than 75db)
Bandwidth: Middle LowPass Filter: AVR/12
Frequency: Middle (40hz) Rumble Filter: Off/1 for one port
Extension Filter: 14Hz high damping
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3102.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	324001   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3103.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	324009   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3104.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	324017   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3105.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	324025  
Autorotate is offline  
post #72533 of 72532 Old Yesterday, 10:31 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi Again.


First of all, im not talking about a new structure in the room. Im only talking about moving the speakers, not the furniture. Dont think i can sell that one to my wife


Here are some new Pictures so you can get a better idea about the room. Im sorry for the low quality of the pics, its early morning here in Denmark and the kids are watchinhg tv

1. Will i gain anything from making more room between the fronts?
2. Do I need to move the backs to ear level and maybee put them befind the couch?
3. Any other ideas are wellcome


The speakers are Focal Dome 5.1 http://stereos.about.com/od/reviewsa.../FocalDome.htm if that has a saying.
The speakers can be turned to point in any direction i want. So they can be placed below the ceeling and still point to ear level.


I put green dots on the Pictures to show where i could put the speakers. There are two options for the rears (green and red). And yes the small Black Things are the speakers


I would prefeer not to move my rears, but i will move them if im missing out on sound. I have no problem in moving the fronts.


Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	16.6 KB
ID:	324097   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	324105   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	324113   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	324121  
Ragepoo is online now  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Receivers Amplifiers , Kef Kht1005 2se 5 1 Subwoofer Satellite System With C4 Subwoofer Gloss White , 5 6 7 1 7 2 Or 8 1 8 2 One Or Two Subwoofer Compatible 16 Banana Post 2 Rca Speaker Wall Plate For H
Gear in this thread - Kht1005 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off