post #73201 of 73216 Unread Today, 10:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2590 Post(s)
Liked: 2279
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahmzy View Post
Yes, I've read those FAQs extensively - great help.
Unfortunately, My new home / great room is somewhat of a reflecto-chamber. All hardwoods, leather couches, 9ft flat ceilings etc. I've got a massive area rug in the main listening area completely covering up the wood, but that doesn't help the rest. The closest wall behind the main listening position is 25-30ft away.
Not much treatment I can do, or rather, that the wife would allow me to do that wouldn't look horrendous.
That could explain the problems you are having with dialog intelligibility. Unfortunately, short of adding treatments or using a different room there isn't a lot you can do. Room correction EQ alone won't help in a room that is so lively. Good quality headphones might be an option. If you use good headphones and add a bass shaker under your couch, you can get a really good experience, with the bass feeling like it is coming from the headphones, even though it is the couch getting a good thump. Crowson and Buttkicker make good tactile transducers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #73202 of 73216 Unread Today, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Is it ok to just turn on dynamic volume without dyn EQ r vice versa or should both always be on together.
post #73203 of 73216 Unread Today, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Federo5 View Post
Is it ok to just turn on dynamic volume without dyn EQ r vice versa or should both always be on together.
That's entirely up to you.

Selden

Marantz SR7009/7.1.4/FH+TM/DefTech PM1000/LCR+TM amped
post #73204 of 73216 Unread Today, 04:00 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1205 Post(s)
Liked: 1612
Audyssey would say it's not OK -- the tonal adjustments of DEQ are necessary to keep the balance consistent as DV is lowering the volume. However, some folks find the bass boost in DEQ sort of counterproductive if they are trying to lower the late night bass using DV. Personally, I find the sound to be too thin and anemic if I'm using DV without DEQ, but there is a segment of folks out there who just hate DEQ. I use it all the time, although I always use the Ref Level Offset to tone it down a bit (rather err on the side of less compensation than too much).

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #73205 of 73216 Unread Today, 04:34 PM

How does reference level offset differ from surround parameters low frequency effects. I too find it hard to find a proper late night setting as eq just pounds the bass and surrounds.
post #73206 of 73216 Unread Today, 04:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
although I always use the Ref Level Offset to tone it down a bit (rather err on the side of less compensation than too much).
I hate to ask but where do you do this? I see in the manual you can choose 5, 10, or 15 db but I don't see anything telling how to choose?
post #73207 of 73216 Unread Today, 04:39 PM

Looks like 15db with eq on really lowers the surrounds nicely . I assume 5 and 15 are for movies
post #73208 of 73216 Unread Today, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by de8212 View Post
I hate to ask but where do you do this? I see in the manual you can choose 5, 10, or 15 db but I don't see anything telling how to choose?
When you turn on dyn EQ it activates the reference level just below. Its set at 0.

Last edited by Federo5; Today at 04:51 PM.
post #73209 of 73216 Unread Today, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
When you turn on dyn EQ it activates the reference level just below. Its set at 0.
I get that, I think. But how do you choose between 5, 10 and 15? Or am I completely misunderstanding this?
post #73210 of 73216 Unread Today, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 950 Post(s)
Liked: 487
Click on the "0" and you will be able to change the setting.
post #73211 of 73216 Unread Today, 05:45 PM

Quote:
How does reference level offset differ from surround parameters low frequency effects. I too find it hard to find a proper late night setting as eq just pounds the bass and surrounds.
This. Is any of the reference offsets good for movies or 15 specifically
post #73212 of 73216 Unread Today, 05:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1205 Post(s)
Liked: 1612
It's covered pretty well in the FAQ.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #73213 of 73216 Unread Today, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:
I get that, I think. But how do you choose between 5, 10 and 15? Or am I completely misunderstanding this?
You have to access it from within the menus.
post #73214 of 73216 Unread Today, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
If you're asking how to change the reference level offset (RLO), it's in the Denon menus, as someone else pointed out.

But if you're asking what number to choose, it's a matter of personal preference. The RLO controls how much increase in subwoofer and surround speaker volume you want at volume levels below reference (which is set at 0 dB after calibration). If RLO = 0, you get the maximum increase in both of these things. That is supposed to work with the way BluRay movies are mastered for the home (I say "supposed to," because this isn't always the case).

If you set RLO = -15 dB, then you are getting the minimum level of added subwoofer and surround volumes at lower volume levels. Obviously, the other setting given you more moderate levels of adjustment. With Dynamic EQ off, there is no additional subwoofer or surround volume added at lower volume levels.

Basically, using Dynamic RQ and choosing the reference level you want is totally up to your preference. You'll find a range of opinions here on this. I generally have it set to RLO = 0 for movies unless the surrounds seem too loud; I leave it at RLO = -10 for most cable TV (shows from the BBC seem better with DynEQ off, or else the surround channels are ridiculously loud), and I turn off DynEQ for all music.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, etc.
post #73215 of 73216 Unread Today, 07:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
If you're asking how to change the reference level offset (RLO), it's in the Denon menus, as someone else pointed out.
Gotcha. I was looking at the pdf manual and just didn't see a clear way to physically change the setting. I got it now. thanks.
post #73216 of 73216 Unread Today, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post

But if you're asking what number to choose, it's a matter of personal preference. The RLO controls how much increase in subwoofer and surround speaker volume you want at volume levels below reference (which is set at 0 dB after calibration). If RLO = 0, you get the maximum increase in both of these things. That is supposed to work with the way BluRay movies are mastered for the home (I say "supposed to," because this isn't always the case).

If you set RLO = -15 dB, then you are getting the minimum level of added subwoofer and surround volumes at lower volume levels. Obviously, the other setting given you more moderate levels of adjustment. With Dynamic EQ off, there is no additional subwoofer or surround volume added at lower volume levels.

Basically, using Dynamic RQ and choosing the reference level you want is totally up to your preference. You'll find a range of opinions here on this. I generally have it set to RLO = 0 for movies unless the surrounds seem too loud; I leave it at RLO = -10 for most cable TV (shows from the BBC seem better with DynEQ off, or else the surround channels are ridiculously loud), and I turn off DynEQ for all music.
What do you do with dyn volume, leave it off? And why do you have -10 for tv, do you find your surrounds too loud? I find the only time surrounds are loud with DQ on is when watching blu rays.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Receivers Amplifiers , Kef Kht1005 2se 5 1 Subwoofer Satellite System With C4 Subwoofer Gloss White , 5 6 7 1 7 2 Or 8 1 8 2 One Or Two Subwoofer Compatible 16 Banana Post 2 Rca Speaker Wall Plate For H
Gear in this thread - Kht1005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page