Forum Jump: 

post #73231 of 73234 Old Today, 01:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahmzy View Post
Thanks for the helpful post. I've actually got a 15" DefTec sub sitting in it's box the basement where it's been for the past 7 years. I never got that thing to sound good - probably a mix between too big of a sub in the wrong room in the wrong area of the room, configured wrong, lol. I'd like to get a 10" sub that could fit well into my setup instead of being this separate entity/personality with a mind of it's own. A big, boomy, sloppy mess it was.

I was battling poor dialogue volume from my center and was finding disabling Dynamic EQ helped that out. I've gone back and forth on all of these things, multiple times. I have aimed my center upwards to my head, which helped, but everytime I increase the center channel volume, it just seems to wreck what Audyssey was trying to do. Things don't have a balance anymore - all I hear is my center channel and yet, I still have trouble picking up dialogue sometimes. I am hoping a newer XT32 DENON AVR with separate dialogue control might help things out a bit. I'm also hoping my new RC-64II center might have a slight edge on my RC-62 center.
I had the same problem, it was because of bad calibrations, I tried putting blankets down, ect. I also have the klipsch rc2. Great center. Really pay attention to the first calibration especially and have a receiver with xt32. Make sure all your calibrations are precise with the mic centered perfectly centered and straight up. If your center is weak like mine was it's bad calibrations. Make sure your mic is at least a foot or more from your back cushion. I found that deadened the center when my mic was too close to the back cushion. I did about 20 calibrations before I figured everything out. I also bought an SVS subwoofer which is amazing. A pb 1000 or 2000 will do the trick. If you want an even better one go for it. When I first started I hated all he settings, they made my diologue bright, or muffled. Now when I use EQ the dialogue gets a little louder as intended and everything is louder as it should be. Keep trying and when you have detailed surround after a calibration build from that. See if you can nail one with a bright center and combine the two with what you did. Tinker with distances, tinker with room set up but for me with the center the most important thing was precise measurements from the couch. Not sure of your mic placements but this helped most for mine. Try this website and mic pattern.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...tml#post622330

I use recommended mic pattern 101. Worked perfect and my center detailed and crisp. I had problems for over a month, tried this and it worked nicely.

101, 101B, 102 - Best Image Clarity and good frequency response coverage. All dimensions are relative to PLP Center

Just filter Recommended Setup Mic Patterns, little further than midway down the page. That should help a lot

Last edited by Federo5; Today at 02:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #73232 of 73234 Old Today, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josey88 View Post
Well... I have been reading all those posts about calibrations and settings ... I will be getting the 7200W receiver next month but I am truly beginning to worry about all of this . It seems that it will be a nightmare of dozens of different inputs and different calibrations and settings in order to obtain a decent sound out of these receivers if I am going to believe all these threads ... hope not , and that Denon will have some way to set everything in a more simple way .
I have my old trusty 5803 with a simple set up , not too complicated and I have had wonderful sound out of it all these years .
Unfortunately , it needs to be upgraded in order to get 4K HDMI connections , Dolby True-HD , Atmos, etc , so that is why the 7200W is coming to play .
Now, having said that , I think that perhaps I will be having some problems with the way I have my subs set up and this "Audyssey thing" on the incoming receiver ...
I have my speakers on "large" (all of them) and the two subs on LFE+Main and I do get plenty of very low bass on the subs . BTW, the subs are in "auto " and they turn on instantly .
All of my speakers ( Sonus Faber "Electa Amator II" front mains , Sonus Faber " Solo" center and Jamo D8 concert surrounds and Jamo E6 surround backs) are full range .
The calibration level that I use is a sound meter from RadioShack and I do it at 70 DB, "C" weighting and "Slow" response and not at 80 DB.
The two SF "Gravis" sub`s filter pass are set at 47thz , so , as they go down to 24hz , they take care of the real low bass over the speakers at that higher point very fluidly and with much better impact , of course , although I get bass from the mains too but these subwoofers are very musical and they modulate the lower bass notes incredibly .
I really don`t know how I am going to interact with setting the speakers to "small " and the subs to 80 which seems silly to me ... I think that I tend to mix my "audiophile" point of view with the correct calibration for movies .
I guess I am in for a lot of experimentation .
I use the front main speakers and the subs with my other stereo hi-end equipment too , so I alternate them (I have developed a system of 2 sets of cables for that) , but the Denon 7200W will be used just for movies and internet music , Pandora , etc . The trick will be to find the balance between the setting of the speakers /subs with the different movie sound types and Pandora`s music ... ah, well !!!
The best thing to do is make sure you turn off all your wifi, cable, cell phone, clocks, make sure it's totally silent, and make sure your mic is PERFECTLY centered and level and away from the cushion and should be fine.
post #73233 of 73234 Old Today, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
You asked for "any tips to take it to the next level (no 2nd sub)", for "any boosters or anything to purchase to compliment my Marantz 7008 and Klipsch speakers in the future to continue to improve detail" (all above in your first quote, highlighted in red).

Well, short of acoustical room treatments, or upgrading your Klipsch speakers to Magico loudspeaker ones (all around); that is one "tip" (solution to a higher listening surround sound experience). ...Closer to audio nirvana bliss. ...I think. ...And very affordable too.
I just bought these, lol.

42.5k for q3 speaker. Umm that's a little out of my price range ATM, lol

Last edited by Federo5; Today at 02:11 AM.
post #73234 of 73234 Old Today, 04:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2618 Post(s)
Liked: 2306
Quote:
Originally Posted by josey88 View Post
Well... I have been reading all those posts about calibrations and settings ... I will be getting the 7200W receiver next month but I am truly beginning to worry about all of this . It seems that it will be a nightmare of dozens of different inputs and different calibrations and settings in order to obtain a decent sound out of these receivers if I am going to believe all these threads ... hope not , and that Denon will have some way to set everything in a more simple way .
I have my old trusty 5803 with a simple set up , not too complicated and I have had wonderful sound out of it all these years .
Unfortunately , it needs to be upgraded in order to get 4K HDMI connections , Dolby True-HD , Atmos, etc , so that is why the 7200W is coming to play .
Now, having said that , I think that perhaps I will be having some problems with the way I have my subs set up and this "Audyssey thing" on the incoming receiver ...
I have my speakers on "large" (all of them) and the two subs on LFE+Main and I do get plenty of very low bass on the subs . BTW, the subs are in "auto " and they turn on instantly .
All of my speakers ( Sonus Faber "Electa Amator II" front mains , Sonus Faber " Solo" center and Jamo D8 concert surrounds and Jamo E6 surround backs) are full range .
The calibration level that I use is a sound meter from RadioShack and I do it at 70 DB, "C" weighting and "Slow" response and not at 80 DB.
The two SF "Gravis" sub`s filter pass are set at 47thz , so , as they go down to 24hz , they take care of the real low bass over the speakers at that higher point very fluidly and with much better impact , of course , although I get bass from the mains too but these subwoofers are very musical and they modulate the lower bass notes incredibly .
I really don`t know how I am going to interact with setting the speakers to "small " and the subs to 80 which seems silly to me ... I think that I tend to mix my "audiophile" point of view with the correct calibration for movies .
I guess I am in for a lot of experimentation .
I use the front main speakers and the subs with my other stereo hi-end equipment too , so I alternate them (I have developed a system of 2 sets of cables for that) , but the Denon 7200W will be used just for movies and internet music , Pandora , etc . The trick will be to find the balance between the setting of the speakers /subs with the different movie sound types and Pandora`s music ... ah, well !!!
If you are new to Audyssey I suggest you start by reading the '101' and FAQ, both linked in my sig. They should answer all setup questions for you.

If you have a specific question, post it here and you will receive a good number of suggestions I am sure.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Receivers Amplifiers , Kef Kht1005 2se 5 1 Subwoofer Satellite System With C4 Subwoofer Gloss White , 5 6 7 1 7 2 Or 8 1 8 2 One Or Two Subwoofer Compatible 16 Banana Post 2 Rca Speaker Wall Plate For H
Gear in this thread - Kht1005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page