AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
...On peaks.
And with dual subs on "Twin Peaks"...couldn't resist.
post #73263 of 73267 Old Yesterday, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked: 714
I luv it! ...The true real Holidays spirit. ...Luv you Feri, all of you.
post #73264 of 73267 Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsantafe View Post
Please - let's not continue to obfuscate an already well defined concept and make it more difficult for the OP to find a reasonable and simple solution, as proposed by Keith

remind me not to play scrabble with you mr obfuscate
post #73265 of 73267 Old Yesterday, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question for you guys. I recently bought a used denon 1911. It is equipped with audyssey multeq. I also have the anti mode 8033 sub eq I was using since my previous rotel AVR did not have room correction.

I ran audyssey with a mic stand and am happy with the sound but read that all prior forms of audyssey except XT32 heavily correct the upper frequencies over 500hz which can effect speaker performance and hardly correct the sub. I checked the eq corrections under the audyssey menu and saw that the upper frequencies over 500hz are in fact boosted 3-4 dB.

My question is, since I don't have XT32 in this receiver, am I better served with turning the eq off and using the anti mode for sub eq, using the audyssey eq, or using anti mode and copying the audyssey flat curve to the manual eq and changing all corrections for frequencies over 500hz to 0.

Regardless what I do, I am still using the levels and distances set by audyssey.

My speakers are the B&W 685 for front, B&W HTM61 center, PSB S5 for surround, and Tannoy Di5DC for front height. My sub is the HSU STF2. All speakers are crossed away 80hz except the Tannoy which are crossed at 90hz.

Thanks!
post #73266 of 73267 Old Today, 03:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2623 Post(s)
Liked: 2313
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post
Please, let's not spread wrong technical information coz it causes confusion. The "gain" of the subwoofer plate amplifier is fixed, its constant and its carefully calculated and designed by R&D engineers. Gain is the characteristics of the active components in the circuit (transistors) and it does not change.

What can be changed (by the knob) on the subwoofer plate amp is the level of the incoming signal. Basically the knob can only attenuate this signal being a passive component. But in that case in order to reach the desired power output the level of the subwoofer output on the AVR must be increased. This is because "gain" is constant, so an attenuation on the plate amp side requires an increase of the output trim on the AVR side.

Hope this clears up matters.
Far from clearing up matters, it only serves to confuse. The idea of contributing to a forum is to help other members solve their problems, not to try to demonstrate some alleged technical superiority over other posters.

As such, my earlier reply was totally clear. Many people confuse the knob on their subwoofer with the knob on their AVR, which controls volume. They can believe that if they turn down the sub gain control knob to its lowest setting that their sub amplifier will not then be able to deliver its rated power. As you ought to know, this is not the case. The knob on the subwoofer can be turned down to its minimum setting and the output power of the sub amp is still able to hit its rated power simply because the the output voltage from the preamp will be increased (by way of the sub trim levels) to compensate. The sub amp will simply deliver its rated power from a smaller, or higher, input signal, depending on the sub amp's knob position and the trim level of the AVR.

That is what I said and, unlike your mostly incoherent response, it is a clear and simple explanation.
post #73267 of 73267 Old Today, 03:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 2623 Post(s)
Liked: 2313
Quote:
Originally Posted by lego1 View Post
Question for you guys. I recently bought a used denon 1911. It is equipped with audyssey multeq. I also have the anti mode 8033 sub eq I was using since my previous rotel AVR did not have room correction.

I ran audyssey with a mic stand and am happy with the sound but read that all prior forms of audyssey except XT32 heavily correct the upper frequencies over 500hz which can effect speaker performance and hardly correct the sub. I checked the eq corrections under the audyssey menu and saw that the upper frequencies over 500hz are in fact boosted 3-4 dB.

My question is, since I don't have XT32 in this receiver, am I better served with turning the eq off and using the anti mode for sub eq, using the audyssey eq, or using anti mode and copying the audyssey flat curve to the manual eq and changing all corrections for frequencies over 500hz to 0.

Regardless what I do, I am still using the levels and distances set by audyssey.

My speakers are the B&W 685 for front, B&W HTM61 center, PSB S5 for surround, and Tannoy Di5DC for front height. My sub is the HSU STF2. All speakers are crossed away 80hz except the Tannoy which are crossed at 90hz.

Thanks!
It is true that Audyssey flavors below XT32 work in a different way to XT32, which is more benign in the way it corrects the upper frequencies and concentrates most of its effort on the lower frequencies where correction is usually very much needed.

However, as you already have the AntiMode, which is a good tool for fixing LF room issues, why not just try both and see which you prefer? If you have already done the Audyssey calibration, simply turn Audyssey off and insert the AntiMode, run an AntiMode cal and see which result you find most pleasing, to your ears in your room?

Unless you have independent measuring gear, such as REW and a calibrated mic, there isn't much more you can do besides a listening test, so just give it a go. When comparing the two, make sure the volume control remains untouched between listening evaluations, and use content that has good bass and which you are familiar with. Pay attention to how tight the bass is, how controlled it seems, how deep it goes. Also pay attention to the higher frequencies and see if one evaluation sounds smoother or more pleasing than the other. Please let us know how you get on if you try this.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Receivers Amplifiers , Kef Kht1005 2se 5 1 Subwoofer Satellite System With C4 Subwoofer Gloss White , 5 6 7 1 7 2 Or 8 1 8 2 One Or Two Subwoofer Compatible 16 Banana Post 2 Rca Speaker Wall Plate For H
Gear in this thread - Kht1005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page