"Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779) - Page 2457 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #73681 of 73690 Old 01-25-2015, 10:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickardl View Post
Actually, that graph is not a good one for comparing XT and XT32...
It is the average of 8 positions for each variant and that is why it looks smooth. A better one would be comparing the same single position in 1/24 or unsmoothed with before/after XT/after XT32 to better examplify the differences. That is, if Jerry still has those in his vault.
I was just going to make the post to ask same question. I recently moved my speakers to another location and when took C+Sub reading, got some nasty dips in mid-range (100-300). I did move speakers 3 feet back and forth but results were not good. Then thought of X-32 since it is supposed to respolve (apply filters) more toward mid-range. So wanted to see what difference does X-32 make as compared to XT. I'd be nice to see some Freq/Impulse graphs that shows X-32 doing its magic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #73682 of 73690 Old 01-25-2015, 10:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Question Should I use Audyessy

We watch television, movies and listen to music in our living room. Our AV equipment is setup in our living room. This room is open concept meaning there is not solid wall separating it from the dining room on the west end and no solid wall separating 50% it from a small library on the south side. An open stair way also occupies 25% of the south wall. So there is actually only 25% of actual wall on the south side of the living room. Additional there are large floor to ceiling windows in the room. Two on the north wall and one the east wall. There is also a fireplace in between the two windows on the north wall.

Given the complicated design of the living room I question the benefit of running Audyessy on my Denon AVR. Speaker placement is literally a nightmare.

So my question is should I run Audyessy?

Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
Denon AVR 1912, DirecTV HD DVR Genie HR44,
DirecTV AM21 OTA Receiver
Panasonic HD DVD DMP-BD65, Toshiba HD DVR A20
Infinity Alpha Speakers 50's, 20's, 10's, 37c
Valodyne Sub, Panamax M4300-PM, Monoprice Cables
post #73683 of 73690 Old Yesterday, 01:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Merc View Post
We watch television, movies and listen to music in our living room. Our AV equipment is setup in our living room. This room is open concept meaning there is not solid wall separating it from the dining room on the west end and no solid wall separating 50% it from a small library on the south side. An open stair way also occupies 25% of the south wall. So there is actually only 25% of actual wall on the south side of the living room. Additional there are large floor to ceiling windows in the room. Two on the north wall and one the east wall. There is also a fireplace in between the two windows on the north wall.

Given the complicated design of the living room I question the benefit of running Audyessy on my Denon AVR. Speaker placement is literally a nightmare.

So my question is should I run Audyessy?
Yes, why not?
Our living room is open into a dining area/kitchen on one side and hallway into two bedrooms on the other side and kitchen is also connected to the hallway.
Not a good layout for audio but Audyssey works magic here.
Just remember to have the doors in the house/apartment as they usually are (open or shut) when you watching movies as when you are doing the calibration.
So, why not? If you don't like it afterwards, it is easy to turn Audyssey off.
49Merc likes this.
post #73684 of 73690 Old Yesterday, 06:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks rickardl. Quess I thought we were the only ones watching and listening in a room never designed for AV. 😜

Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
post #73685 of 73690 Old Yesterday, 06:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks. Quess I thought we were the only ones watching and listening in a room never designed for AV. 😜

Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750
post #73686 of 73690 Old Yesterday, 07:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1615 Post(s)
Liked: 1022
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherazNJ View Post
I was just going to make the post to ask same question. I recently moved my speakers to another location and when took C+Sub reading, got some nasty dips in mid-range (100-300). I did move speakers 3 feet back and forth but results were not good. Then thought of X-32 since it is supposed to respolve (apply filters) more toward mid-range. So wanted to see what difference does X-32 make as compared to XT. I'd be nice to see some Freq/Impulse graphs that shows X-32 doing its magic.
A lengthy FAQ article has been written on this topic, and Keith has kindly provided a link. I am not sure what more evidence you would need. Any graphs that I might be able to provide show a calibration in a heavily treated listening room. Any calibration produces better results if you go to the effort to identify and resolve issues ahead of time. If you are relying on room correction to magically smooth over basic room audio issues, you are likely to be disappointed, whether you use XT or XT32.
post #73687 of 73690 Old Yesterday, 09:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
A lengthy FAQ article has been written on this topic, and Keith has kindly provided a link. I am not sure what more evidence you would need. Any graphs that I might be able to provide show a calibration in a heavily treated listening room. Any calibration produces better results if you go to the effort to identify and resolve issues ahead of time. If you are relying on room correction to magically smooth over basic room audio issues, you are likely to be disappointed, whether you use XT or XT32.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
A lengthy FAQ article has been written on this topic, and Keith has kindly provided a link. I am not sure what more evidence you would need.
I read that FAQ. It mostly points out how X-32 focuses more on Mid-Range vs higher ranger that XT does.

Quote:
Any graphs that I might be able to provide show a calibration in a heavily treated listening room
Yes. Your graph won't be a good example since you already have a good input to start with .

Quote:
Any calibration produces better results if you go to the effort to identify and resolve issues ahead of time. If you are relying on room correction to magically smooth over basic room audio issues, you are likely to be disappointed, whether you use XT or XT32
My idea isn't to have room correction magically fix the issues. its more towards how much room correction can help me with my current issue. All room acoustical problem can be solved by treating room. In that case, we won't need room correction besides delay and Bass management. But not all of us have the room treatment working for us as its in your case. We have more peaks and dips. Therefore we need a system that can help us in that matters. X32 is one variety. Then there is Dirac and then there is ARC among others.

The reason I asked to see graphs was to see how much of a correction X-32 can help out with. Only trying to set right expectation from the product.
post #73688 of 73690 Old Yesterday, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1214 Post(s)
Liked: 613
I posted up some graphs earlier this month comparing XT with XT32 when I got my new AVR. Not sure how much help they'll be to you, but you can find them here:

"Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779)

AVR: Denon 4520ci, FL/R: Klipschorn, CC: Klipsch RC64ii, SUR: Polk LS F/X x 4, SUB: PSA T-18 x 2, DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740, BluRay: PS3 & BDP-S5100, Remote: URC MX-700
--------------------------------------------------
Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
post #73689 of 73690 Unread Yesterday, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
I posted up some graphs earlier this month comparing XT with XT32 when I got my new AVR. Not sure how much help they'll be to you, but you can find them here:

"Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779)
Let's see how this recurring XT vs. XT32 topic develops. So far IMHO the shared graphs didn't suggest a "night and day" difference between the two well known versions, um,...regardless of being smoothed or not, or regardless of being single point or multipoint averaged measurements or not.

YMMV. No problem.
post #73690 of 73690 Unread Today, 02:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2914 Post(s)
Liked: 975
Alan, I agree with you. ...And I prefer XT over XT32, from my eyes?

About you Feri?
post #73691 of 73690 Unread Today, 02:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2914 Post(s)
Liked: 975
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Receivers Amplifiers , Kef Kht1005 2se 5 1 Subwoofer Satellite System With C4 Subwoofer Gloss White , 5 6 7 1 7 2 Or 8 1 8 2 One Or Two Subwoofer Compatible 16 Banana Post 2 Rca Speaker Wall Plate For H
Gear in this thread - Kht1005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page