"Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779) - Page 2459 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #73741 of 73751 Unread Today, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post
Thank you for your flattering Bob. As regards my setup, despite someone has recently strongly criticized it for being done for aesthetics only, please note the followings I took into consideration when done for a so called "cold setup" prior to introducing Audyssey RC:

1. Front L/Rs are set up to be +/- 30 deg with a protractor as seen from MLP. Both L&Rs t/w the Center are tilted downward to face seated MLP, as well as nudged off the shelf by an inch in order to tame early reflections. (Special note: my Dali speaker Manual explicitely recommends not to toe-in the front L/Rs due to their wide dispertion pattern design).

2. Surrounds are placed approx. 100 deg to the left and right as per Dolby's speaker placement guidelines.

3. Sub is placed at 1/4th of front room lenght from the right side (as suggested by Sanjay/ sdurani)

4. The room itself has plenty of natural dampening "stuff" to bring down reverb, like curtains, elevated book shelves, rough textured wall paper, textile seating (instead of leather), decorative table cloth on coffee table (a WAF kinda thing!), and its a closed room, no kitchen, no dining space, no "Big Room" effect here.

Welcome any time for a listening test, btw, you prefer red or white wine?

I am glad that I am not the only one that have used a protractor (and strings, in my case) to measure the location and placement of the surround speakers , lol...
mogorf likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #73742 of 73751 Unread Today, 10:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 3033 Post(s)
Liked: 2527
Quote:
Originally Posted by josey88 View Post
I am glad that I am not the only one that have used a protractor (and strings, in my case) to measure the location and placement of the surround speakers , lol...
And do you have a vise to clamp your head in while watching a movie?
post #73743 of 73751 Unread Today, 11:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
You didn't say which Klipsch center so I just went with the first one I came across. I think the rubber half moons are intended to be used to fill the holes if you don't use the tilt rod, otherwise you use the threaded holes for the tilt rod. Check page 3 paragraph center channel speakers that refers to figure 4 in the pdf. Here's the pdf. http://images.klipsch.com/Reference2...6138280000.pdf

If your didn't come with anything other than the speaker and the rubber half moons, then somebody shorted you the tilt assembly.
It's the klipsch 62.2. There are no holes though except for two just off center staggered either side of center with grooves
post #73744 of 73751 Unread Today, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimP View Post
You didn't say which Klipsch center so I just went with the first one I came across. I think the rubber half moons are intended to be used to fill the holes if you don't use the tilt rod, otherwise you use the threaded holes for the tilt rod. Check page 3 paragraph center channel speakers that refers to figure 4 in the pdf. Here's the pdf. http://images.klipsch.com/Reference2...6138280000.pdf

If your didn't come with anything other than the speaker and the rubber half moons, then somebody shorted you the tilt assembly.
I'm trying to figure out what it might look like to see if the gf put it somewhere around here. I can't find it on Google. Maybe I'll just have her lay down and use her as the tilt rod
post #73745 of 73751 Unread Today, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Federo5 View Post
I'm trying to figure out what it might look like to see if the gf put it somewhere around here. I can't find it on Google. Maybe I'll just have her lay down and use her as the tit rod

Fixed it for you[emoji6]

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still [emoji107]
post #73746 of 73751 Unread Today, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
So, how does it sound?
post #73747 of 73751 Unread Today, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
Of course not , but in order to take maximum advantage of my limited options on the ceiling space (because , as you know, my surrounds and back surrounds are too placed on the ceiling) I needed to find the best max distance between heights and surrounds so I would be able to differentiate the output of each set of speakers against the other ... at least, that was the intention .
I also had to include the position of the Wides with relation to the overhead heights placement on the ceiling , even thou they are at 3.5 feet from the floor .
I spend a few days on thinking and on doing measurements , so it wasn`t easy and besides all of that , I wanted it to look right too for the wife approval angle , so, it wasn`t easy at all .
But it worked .
Now , on music , which in contrast to movies where the surround sound is more sporadic , I can enjoy the distinct difference in between dolby surround and DTSNeo :X music formats .
On DSU format , the surround sound is more centered at front and from the top of my seating position to the back and down because the top middle speakers are working ... separately from the sound of the surrounds behind me .
With the DTS Neo :X music format instead , the surround sound is extensively spread out at front to the sides because of the Wides . The front heights overhead are also clearly distinct (the top middles are silenced) so the surround sound is extended to the sides of the room at front and from the top front down with the surrounds and back surrounds filling up the back . It is just a matter of taste and types of music to go with one or the other format , but both formats are absolutely fantastic .
As an example , Patricia Barber sounds better on DTSNeo:X Music , in my humble opinion .
I am pleased with the system I put in place . I have obtained what I wanted . Even thou Atmos is perhaps not technically correct on the speakers location because of the above surrounds placement , the sound of the atmos movie was incredible .
The other movies that I have tried (since the last two weeks when the 7200 arrived) were DTS HD master Audio and on the A-DSX format the sound is also incredible ... I am completely satisfied with the performance of my 7200W and well worth its cost .
If I were to compare the surround performance between my old 5803 and the 7200 , in reality , there is no comparison at all . It is like comparing a domestic Siamese cat to a Bengala Tiger . The surround formats on the 7200W are so advanced that there is no comparison , so every time I power it up I am thrilled .
Do I need to clamp my head ? the answer is , happy to say it , no .
Last movie I rented yesterday was FURY ... what can I say ... I am still thinking about the sound on that movie ... the tank battle was unbelievably real

Last edited by josey88; Today at 02:31 PM.
post #73748 of 73751 Unread Today, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post
So, how does it sound?
Well, to tell the truth , the 7200W has surpassed my expectations . I had no idea that regular PCM could sound like that . I am a hardcore stereo guy , but the surround on this receiver is really amazing . Fabulous equipment and not a single issue with it .
I have tweaked Audyssey a little bit on crossovers , but just very little .
On movies ... well , it has jumped me to present performance standards so I made a correct decision on buying this thing .
Now , to wait for DTS;X upgrade (hopefully) and HDCP2.2 later on ... all is well .

Last edited by josey88; Today at 02:14 PM.
post #73749 of 73751 Unread Today, 02:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 3033 Post(s)
Liked: 2527
Quote:
Of course not , but in order to take maximum advantage of my limited options on the ceiling space (because , as you know, my surrounds and back surrounds are too placed on the ceiling) I needed to find the best max distance between heights and surrounds so I would be able to differentiate the output of each set of speakers against the other ... at least, that was the intention .
I also had to include the position of the Wides with relation to the overhead heights placement on the ceiling , even thou they are at 3.5 feet from the floor .
I spend a few days on thinking and on doing measurements , so it wasn`t easy and besides all of that , I wanted it to look right too for the wife approval angle , so, it wasn`t easy at all .
But it worked .
Now , on music , which in contrast to movies where the surround sound is more sporadic , I can enjoy the distinct difference in between dolby surround and DTSNeo :X music formats .
On DSU format , the surround sound is more centered at front and from the top of my seating position to the back and down because the top middle speakers are working ... separately from the sound of the surrounds behind me .
With the DTS Neo :X music format instead , the surround sound is extensively spread out at front to the sides because of the Wides . The front heights overhead are also clearly distinct (the top middles are silenced) so the surround sound is extended to the sides of the room at front and from the top front down with the surrounds and back surrounds filling up the back . It is just a matter of taste and types of music to go with one or the other format , but both formats are absolutely fantastic .
As an example , Patricia Barber sounds better on DTSNeo:X Music , in my humble opinion .
I am pleased with the system I put in place . I have obtained what I wanted . Even thou Atmos is perhaps not technically correct on the speakers location because of the above surrounds placement , the sound of the atmos movie was incredible .
The other movies that I have tried (since the last two weeks when the 7200 arrived) were DTS HD master Audio and on the A-DSX format the sound is also incredible ... I am completely satisfied with the performance of my 7200W and well worth its cost .
If I were to compare the surround performance between my old 5803 and the 7200 , in reality , there is no comparison at all . It is like comparing a domestic Siamese cat to a Bengala Tiger . The surround formats on the 7200W are so advanced that there is no comparison , so every time I power it up I am thrilled .
Last movie I rented yesterday was FURY ... what can I say ... I am still thinking about the sound on that movie ... the tank battle was unbelievably real
I was only joking with you. But thanks for the long response. I am glad that you are enjoying it all so much - makes all the expense and time and effort well worthwhile, I agree.
post #73750 of 73751 Unread Today, 03:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2951 Post(s)
Liked: 983
Quote:
That, is a very good overall consideration.
...From it we can almost deduct the utmost importance of Audyssey's graphs with the help of REW when mic measurement is taken @ the critical MLP.
But that's why Audyssey MultEQ Pro can take up to 32 microphone measurements @ them respective locations.
That is a lot of graphs to show.
mogorf likes this.
post #73751 of 73751 Unread Today, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2951 Post(s)
Liked: 983
Quote:
But it worked .
Quote:
Well, to tell the truth , the 7200W has surpassed my expectations . I had no idea that regular PCM could sound like that . I am a hardcore stereo guy , but the surround on this receiver is really amazing . Fabulous equipment and not a single issue with it .
I have tweaked Audyssey a little bit on crossovers , but just very little .
On movies ... well , it has jumped me to present performance standards so I made a correct decision on buying this thing .
Now , to wait for DTS;X upgrade (hopefully) and HDCP2.2 later on ... all is well .
Loved, immensely, reading your two above posts.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Receivers Amplifiers , Kef Kht1005 2se 5 1 Subwoofer Satellite System With C4 Subwoofer Gloss White , 5 6 7 1 7 2 Or 8 1 8 2 One Or Two Subwoofer Compatible 16 Banana Post 2 Rca Speaker Wall Plate For H
Gear in this thread - Kht1005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page