"Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779) - Page 2460 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #73771 of 73775 Old Today, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I'm not having any audio setting problems thanks to many of you yet after reading comments regarding tone control I'm now a bit curious. In my Denon AVR 1912's Audio Adjust, Tone is gray thus not adjustable. Audyessy is in use.

Sony HDTV KDL-46HX750, Denon AVR 1912,
DirecTV HD DVR Genie HR44, DirecTV AM21 OTA Rcvr,
Panasonic Blu-ray DMP-BD65, Toshiba HD DVD A20,
Infinity Alpha Speakers 50's, 20's, 10's, 37c
Valodyne VRP-1000 Sub, Panamax M4300-PM, Monoprice Cables
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #73772 of 73775 Unread Today, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1255 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Some AVRs will let you adjust tone controls and still keep Audyssey active, some won't. I'm sure BatPig knows which ones are which.
49Merc likes this.

AVR: Denon 4520ci, FL/R: Klipschorn, CC: Klipsch RC64ii, SUR: Polk LS F/X x 4, SUB: PSA T-18 x 2, DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740, BluRay: PS3 & BDP-S5100, Remote: URC MX-700
--------------------------------------------------
Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
post #73773 of 73775 Unread Today, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Merc View Post
I'm not having any audio setting problems thanks to many of you yet after reading comments regarding tone control I'm now a bit curious. In my Denon AVR 1912's Audio Adjust, Tone is gray thus not adjustable. Audyessy is in use.
That's the way it should be.
49Merc likes this.
post #73774 of 73775 Unread Today, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Federo5 View Post
But it doesn't override or negate the audeseey settings right? It's just enhances them?
On my Marantz AV7005 (it's a preamp processor, very similar to the "front end" of Marantz AVRs, and some other AVRs) using the on-screen graphic EQ sliders (8 bands in bass, midrange and treble) DOES TURN AUDYSSEY OFF, while using the TONE controls for bass and treble under "Audio Adjust" DOES NOT. If in doubt, check to see if your Audyssey light is on, if you have one. The TONE controls (on mine) only have +/- 6 dB of range. I sometimes use them for music or movies that need them. The bad news is that if you use Dynamic EQ, the tone controls will not be available to you. I find I can get the best balance with Audyssey near Reference level, DEQ off, and occasional use of the true bass control (under "Audio Adjust"). Audyssey itself is not designed for optimizing program material, just the room and speakers. Many people find it a little bass shy.

Also beware any base (not bass) copy function. It doesn't copy the more than one hundred Audyssey corrections, but only crudely copies the curve at 8, or so, broad points. Chris K., the head of Audyssey, says it is best to not use it at all.

For bass comp, some people just turn up the sub, but that only helps below the crossover point (say, 80 Hz). If you need more bass impact at about 100 Hz or above, you would have to use the true TONE controls (not virtual sliders), or play considerably below Reference, and use DEQ.

I'm surprised you need treble boost, if Audyssey is set up right and your speakers have good high frequency response and are aimed right.

Good luck!

Last edited by garygarrison; Today at 07:33 PM.
post #73775 of 73775 Unread Today, 11:46 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
After a lot of playing around, I've found that I prefer dynamic EQ off for 2-channel music. I did a lot of listening, and it just boosts the bass too much (even with reference offset on 15 dB). Audyssey and DynEQ seem fine for movies, but it's just not my thing for music. Anyone else agree?

For 2-channel, I'm using:

Bypass L/R
DynEQ off

Audyssey set my sub to -5.5dB, but for music, I raise it by 4 dB to -1.5dB. If if measure levels with these settings using a dB meter, I get a pretty balanced mix.

I do like how it EQs the sub. The bass seems cleaner and tighter with it on, but I don't like it messing with my mains,
post #73776 of 73775 Unread Today, 11:58 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ran Audyssey tonight with my Denon X3000. It set my mains to 100hz, center to 150hz, and surrounds to 80hz. I have RBH MC-6Cs for mains and surrounds and the MC-414C for my center.

Should I set the surrounds to 100hz same as my mains, or set everything to 150hz like the center?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Receivers Amplifiers , Kef Kht1005 2se 5 1 Subwoofer Satellite System With C4 Subwoofer Gloss White , 5 6 7 1 7 2 Or 8 1 8 2 One Or Two Subwoofer Compatible 16 Banana Post 2 Rca Speaker Wall Plate For H
Gear in this thread - Kht1005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page