"Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779) - Page 2483 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #74461 of 74478 Old Today, 03:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
My MLP places my ears at about 36" from the floor. Yes, that's the adapter I bought, and I have the same issue with it as Soulburner does: If the mic stand is at its lowest possible placement (which requires keeping all of the legs flattened to the floor, or close to it), then a low seating position at the MLP means that the end of the boom with the adapter is lower than the top of the mic stand--and the tip of the Audyssey mic is not pointing strauight up any more. Maybe there is some kind of shorter boom mic stand than the one in the FAQ that is reasonably priced...that would solve the problem.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K701, Burson HA-160, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74462 of 74478 Old Today, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked: 763
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbarach View Post
My MLP places my ears at about 36" from the floor. Yes, that's the adapter I bought, and I have the same issue with it as Soulburner does: If the mic stand is at its lowest possible placement (which requires keeping all of the legs flattened to the floor, or close to it), then a low seating position at the MLP means that the end of the boom with the adapter is lower than the top of the mic stand--and the tip of the Audyssey mic is not pointing strauight up any more. Maybe there is some kind of shorter boom mic stand than the one in the FAQ that is reasonably priced...that would solve the problem.
I use something like this. Works just fine for angling down the boom arm and then being able to angle the Audyssey mic up.

AVR: Denon 4520ci, FL/R: Klipschorn, CC: Klipsch RC-64ii, SUR: Polk LS/FX x4, FH: Klipsch RB-51ii x2, SUB: PSA T-18 x2, DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740, BluRay: PS3 & BDP-S5100, Remote: URC MX-700
--------------------------------------------------
Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
post #74463 of 74478 Old Today, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
I use something like this. Works just fine for angling down the boom arm and then being able to angle the Audyssey mic up.

I'll check this out, but do you happen to have a link to the actual amazon page? This is just the picture of the item--I don't even know what to call it in order to search for it.

AT&T U-Verse Northeast Ohio

Denon x4000, Carver m1.0t, Samsung LED TV, B&W 704 mains, two M&K subwoofers, Oppo 103, Roku 2, etc.
Headphone system: Sennheiser HD600, AKG K701, Burson HA-160, Marantz CD5004, Denon DVD-3910
post #74464 of 74478 Old Today, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I'm going to get one at Radio Shack. At least their website says they have it. Thanks for the tip!
post #74465 of 74478 Old Today, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1933 Post(s)
Liked: 1105
Quote:
I have the same problem with the lower price boom mic stand and adapter recommended in the FAQ for this forum. An additional problem is that the knob tightening the boom is ineffective at keeping the boom in place. I have been able to make this equipment work, but it hasn't been easy. Still, it beats using a camea tripod (for ease).
I agree that the less expensive boom mic stands are not that sturdy. I have run so many calibrations that I have stripped the thumb screw on the Pro mic stand, and rendered a cheap boom mic stand almost unusable. I recently went to Guitar Center and selected a more sturdy (and more expensive) mic stand because I became weary of fighting the cheap one.
post #74466 of 74478 Old Today, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1526 Post(s)
Liked: 763
Quote:
I'll check this out, but do you happen to have a link to the actual amazon page? This is just the picture of the item--I don't even know what to call it in order to search for it.
http://www.amazon.com/Guardian-Cases...words=mic+clip

You can search for "mic clip" and find a bunch of options other than that one.

AVR: Denon 4520ci, FL/R: Klipschorn, CC: Klipsch RC-64ii, SUR: Polk LS/FX x4, FH: Klipsch RB-51ii x2, SUB: PSA T-18 x2, DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740, BluRay: PS3 & BDP-S5100, Remote: URC MX-700
--------------------------------------------------
Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
post #74467 of 74478 Old Today, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Reading another thread today, someone suggested that :

1) placing a soft blanket over a leather couch might help with reflection issues while running Audyssey, and / or

2) removing the couch while running Audyssey would yield better results than having the couch present during the measurement process.

Any thoughts or opinions on these ideas?

Thank you :-)

MartinLogan Motion 40s / 30 / LX16s
Marantz SR5007 / UD5007
Emotiva XPA-3
SVS SB13ultra

exercise room: MartinLogan LX16s / Dynamo700
post #74468 of 74478 Old Today, 06:18 PM
Advanced Member

If the blanket won't be there during listening, don't put it there during Audyssey

In the same vein, don't move your seat if that's where it's going to be.
TomC1315 likes this.

Last edited by Soulburner; Today at 06:24 PM.
post #74469 of 74478 Old Today, 07:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 13
OK i'm running into a strange issue: I just re-ran audyssey on my denon 3310 and I used to set audyssey to 'flat' if the calibration sounded muffled (it usually does afterward and no matter how many times i do it the results rarely change) but now afterwards when I go to set it to flat there is no option to change it, it just says 'off', and now a 'tone' option has popped up underneath. Audyssey has *ALWAYS* been enabled by default after calibration, I have no idea why it has set itself to off.

Also after calibration, when i set the speakers to small, it automatically assumes i have a sub and sets it to yes, and i have no sub. If i set the speakers to large, the sub reverts back to no. I dont remember this happening before either.

Any insight to either of these issues would be greatly appreciated!
post #74470 of 74478 Old Today, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

A speaker setting of Small indicates you wish to use bass management and crossover to a subwoofer. Large will not use a sub unless you have a Main+LFE setting.

Flat should only be used if you're sitting very close to the speakers or are in a treated room and are getting mostly direct, rather than reflected sound.

If you are sitting in a reverberant field (most homes), the Audyssey setting with the rolloff is usually preferred. Of course user preferences also come into play.

Last edited by Soulburner; Today at 07:51 PM.
post #74471 of 74478 Old Today, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
A speaker setting of Small indicates you wish to use bass management and crossover to a subwoofer. Large will not use a sub unless you have a Main+LFE setting.

Flat should only be used if you're sitting very close to the speakers or are in a treated room and are getting mostly direct, rather than reflected sound.

If you are sitting in a reverberant field (most homes), the Audyssey setting with the rolloff is usually preferred. Of course user preferences also come into play.
I was using flat to alleviate the treble issue, that was recommended the last time I posted in this thread many months ago. Along with the blanket suggestion . The problem is is that audyssey is not engaged and wont turn on regardless of whether I want to run the flat setting or not. It says off and I cant get it to turn on at all, it says its not being used also. I cant imagine what could be the issue unless my receiver is all of a sudden malfunctioning, would be pretty disastrous.

I guess I forgot to add that this is audyssey dynamic EQ that will not engage.

Last edited by dunan; Today at 08:09 PM.
post #74472 of 74478 Old Today, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked: 1188
Quote:
If the blanket won't be there during listening, don't put it there during Audyssey

In the same vein, don't move your seat if that's where it's going to be.
That ^

______

* And speaking of mic stand with boom; it's true that a cheap one won't last (I know so from experience), but if it is only for few Audyssey measurements, that's ok then (and you can always replace the adjusting screw and washer holding the mic boom to the main stand).

As for the top adapter; true you want the most flexible one. Google adapter mics. Look for one with the standard 5/8" hole base with the 1/4" screw top for the Audyssey pyramid base mic.
Another trick, but not perfect is one of those mini octopus type tripod for cameras. With the three legs that you can bend easily and affix to almost anything, like a grip around tubing poles with a regular plastic mic holder. Some of them are better than others, but they cost generally more too.

Google Mic Adaptors; you'll find exactly the one you're looking for (just make sure it has the right 1/4" thread screw for the Audyssey mic).

Last edited by NorthSky; Today at 08:14 PM.
post #74473 of 74478 Old Today, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Is DynamicEQ disabled in certain sound modes? That may be what's happening.
post #74474 of 74478 Old Today, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunan View Post
I was using flat to alleviate the treble issue, that was recommended the last time I posted in this thread many months ago. Along with the blanket suggestion . The problem is is that audyssey is not engaged and wont turn on regardless of whether I want to run the flat setting or not. It says off and I cant get it to turn on at all, it says its not being used also. I cant imagine what could be the issue unless my receiver is all of a sudden malfunctioning, would be pretty disastrous.

I guess I forgot to add that this is audyssey dynamic EQ that will not engage.

You need to re-run the Audyssey calibration.

When you told the receiver that you wanted the front speakers to be Small (which requires a subwoofer) that addition of a subwoofer invalidated your previous Audyssey calibration. That lack of a calibration also prevents DynEQ from being enabled. If you don't have a subwoofer, your front main speakers *must* be set to Large, because there's nowhere else for the lowest bass frequencies to go.

Selden

Marantz SR7009+MM9000/Atmos 7.1.4 (FH+TM:DefTech PM1000)/LCR+TM amped
post #74475 of 74478 Old Today, 10:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Is DynamicEQ disabled in certain sound modes? That may be what's happening.
No, this is off a fresh calibration. I only watch movies, rarely listen to music so its only set on one sound mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
You need to re-run the Audyssey calibration.

When you told the receiver that you wanted the front speakers to be Small (which requires a subwoofer) that addition of a subwoofer invalidated your previous Audyssey calibration. That lack of a calibration also prevents DynEQ from being enabled. If you don't have a subwoofer, your front main speakers *must* be set to Large, because there's nowhere else for the lowest bass frequencies to go.
Makes total sense, I didn't even think of that. I was always under the impression that they all have to be set to small regardless of a sub or not. No wonder I didn't recognize what was going on, I've always EQ'd with a sub before. Now that I'm in an apartment, the sub had to go so it's just a 5.0 system. I REALLY miss my sub
post #74476 of 74478 Old Today, 10:33 PM
Advanced Member

OK, all set. For now I set the front speakers to large, and got the settings back. I'll re-run audyssey again tomorrow.

Do any of you run wall treatments like bass traps or acoustic panels? I'm wondering where to ask since I dont see a dedicated thread on them and want to know if my place would benefit from them, it is basically an apartment with blank walls except for a few pictures but since its primarily a 3 sided box opening to a small dining room i'm hoping I can get some sort of sound improvement or frequency taming by adding something to absorb some of the reflecting frequencies.

My setup consists of a pair of paradigm monitor titans v5 and a cc-290v6 center with a couple of older surrounds off to the sides.

I can post pics if needed but wont be until tomorrow.

BTW, I was thinking of going with these to start off with:

http://www.amazon.com/Auralex-Studio...bxgy_MI_text_y

Last edited by dunan; Today at 10:41 PM.
post #74477 of 74478 Old Today, 11:08 PM
Advanced Member

post #74478 of 74478 Old Today, 11:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I'd like to but i really have no access to the resources to build something like that, but those certainly are nice
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Receivers Amplifiers , Kef Kht1005 2se 5 1 Subwoofer Satellite System With C4 Subwoofer Gloss White , 5 6 7 1 7 2 Or 8 1 8 2 One Or Two Subwoofer Compatible 16 Banana Post 2 Rca Speaker Wall Plate For H
Gear in this thread - Kht1005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page