"Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779) - Page 2503 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #75061 of 75067 Old Today, 07:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
SherazNJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,015
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Wanted to share some results after performing Sub Distance Tweak provided by Keith.

I performed this tweak yesterday. I already had subs placed in best place possible before so didn't have to move subs. But I moved my center to give me better response. I garra say, my center channel response is as good as it gets when it comes to channel with sub integration .

Just the fact that we take separate reading of each channel from sub is a great advice. All along, I have had a dip around 60Hz for Left and Right and I thought I was because of subs. After I took reading of speakers (without sub), it turned out that its my speaker . Left Has a dip around 60 hz and right around 70Hz. Left is no issue because that dip get overlapped with sub but I couldn't get rid of 70 Hz. After running Audyssey, it was still there but its like only 2Hz wide ( I think barely noticeable).

I also realized that I should have crossed my subs at 60 instead 80. At 80, it was 3 db below actual speaker response.

After final calibration, the system sounds amazing. Bass has never sounded so well. Its like so tied now. Almost no booming. I'd say almost because I only watched one movie for 20 minutes. I don't know what did the trick. May the cross over from 80-60.

But what ever it is, I thank Keith very much for sharing his knowledge with us.
SherazNJ is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #75062 of 75067 Old Today, 08:12 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Elmwood Park, IL
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to halicea
I hope you guys can help me better understand why I am getting the results I am getting when I run the Audyssey calibration.

I have an Integra DHC 80.3 Pre going into an Integra DTA 70.1 power amp. My speakers are Polk Audio LSiM 705s for fronts, 706c for center, 703s for front wide (I prefer this setup for music over surround backs), LSiFx surrounds and a PSW1000 sub. My room is 13’ x 18’ x 7.5’ ceiling.

When I run the Audyssey MultEQ XT32 calibration it sets all of my speakers at 40Hz.

Would someone please help me understand?

Thanks!
halicea is offline  
post #75063 of 75067 Old Today, 08:12 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Elmwood Park, IL
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to halicea
Sorry... didn't mean to post twice but I did not see the first post go through.
halicea is offline  
post #75064 of 75067 Old Today, 08:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 21,687
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3802 Post(s)
Liked: 2923
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherazNJ View Post
But what ever it is, I thank Keith very much for sharing his knowledge with us.
Thanks for the hat tip but most of the Sub Distance Tweak Guide is the work of other people, as acknowledge in the guide. What I did was bring it together all into one place. Glad you found it useful!
kbarnes701 is offline  
post #75065 of 75067 Old Today, 08:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 21,687
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3802 Post(s)
Liked: 2923
Quote:
Originally Posted by halicea View Post
I hope you guys can help me better understand why I am getting the results I am getting when I run the Audyssey calibration.

I have an Integra DHC 80.3 Pre going into an Integra DTA 70.1 power amp. My speakers are Polk Audio LSiM 705s for fronts, 706c for center, 703s for front wide (I prefer this setup for music over surround backs), LSiFx surrounds and a PSW1000 sub. My room is 13’ x 18’ x 7.5’ ceiling.

When I run the Audyssey MultEQ XT32 calibration it sets all of my speakers at 40Hz.

Would someone please help me understand?

Thanks!
That is the response that Audyssey sees from your speakers, taking into account their interaction with the room. I'd suggest raising them somewhat to take the strain off them and put it on to the sub which is likely more able to handle low bass. Try 80Hz to start with and then 60Hz and see which you prefer, if any.

Also see these FAQ answers for more info:

c)4. Is it OK to change the Crossovers from Audyssey's recommendation?


c)7. Audyssey is setting my crossovers way differently to what I expected. Why?
kbarnes701 is offline  
post #75066 of 75067 Old Today, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fbov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bushnell's Basin, NY
Posts: 1,234
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast68 View Post
....But now i have this massive dip at 450... any ideas on what else I can do....other than throw in the towel and call it a day,
My first thoughts are
- your speakers are mounted on the wall, and you're seeing the Allison effect. A dip at 450Hz would be expected from a speaker 7.5" in depth, mounted on a wall. There are floor bounce geometries that could do something similar.
- your using a 3-way with a 450Hz crossover from woofer to midrange, and the XO is out of phase.
- your measurement mic is 7.5" from a wall.

Room modes are one of the last things I'd consider, given how unlikely it is to have a 7th harmonic dip, without even larger dips for the lower harmonics. Room modes don't go away, they get so close, we stop hearing the trees for the forest.

Regardless, I agree this one's not Audyssey...

Tthe bass issue could be position dependence; how close did you place the measurement mic to the Audyssey mic's location?

Have fun,
Frank
fbov is offline  
post #75067 of 75067 Old Today, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
toofast68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NorthEast Ohio, USA
Posts: 1,076
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbov View Post
My first thoughts are
- your speakers are mounted on the wall, and you're seeing the Allison effect. A dip at 450Hz would be expected from a speaker 7.5" in depth, mounted on a wall. There are floor bounce geometries that could do something similar.
- your using a 3-way with a 450Hz crossover from woofer to midrange, and the XO is out of phase.
- your measurement mic is 7.5" from a wall.

Room modes are one of the last things I'd consider, given how unlikely it is to have a 7th harmonic dip, without even larger dips for the lower harmonics. Room modes don't go away, they get so close, we stop hearing the trees for the forest.

Regardless, I agree this one's not Audyssey...

Tthe bass issue could be position dependence; how close did you place the measurement mic to the Audyssey mic's location?

Have fun,
Frank

I feel like a detective and guys / gals thanks for all the help, however the mystery continues :-)


Speakers are freestanding - the center (speaker I have an issue with) is mounted on a stand angled up toward MLP - it sits roughly 2 ft off the ground. the ground is heavily padded and carpeted concrete though. Could it be a floor bounce, but I guess I could line the floor with something to eliminate that I guess.


Not using a 3 way


Measurement is roughly 8 ft off back wall


The measuring Mic is within an inch or less of where the Audyssey mic was in the 1st MLP position.

Should I take this out of the Audyssey thread at this point...or assume it ok to still have some fun with it.
toofast68 is online now  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Receivers Amplifiers , Kef Kht1005 2se 5 1 Subwoofer Satellite System With C4 Subwoofer Gloss White , 5 6 7 1 7 2 Or 8 1 8 2 One Or Two Subwoofer Compatible 16 Banana Post 2 Rca Speaker Wall Plate For H
Gear in this thread - Kht1005 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off