"Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779) - Page 2514 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #75391 of 75399 Unread Today, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
Why on earth would it seem like it "almost wouldn’t work?" I've explained above exactly why it works and how it overcomes a limitation in room EQ systems like Audyssey.
Your guide seems a little complicated and seems like a lot of work, I honestly don't understand some of it... I don't have REW or any other way to measure audio other than my ears.

Is there some method I can use for my 2 subs to see if I need to adjust the distance, can I just increase them both or decrease them both and see if there's an improvement?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #75392 of 75399 Unread Today, 01:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
Simple -they want Chris's when their preference is aligned with Audyssey's - come close to the sound mixer's mandate in the studio which MANY people want actually. You sound new at this.

Didn't Tomlinson Holman have hand in this also?
post #75393 of 75399 Unread Today, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murphy View Post
and millions of dollars and decades of research and even more brilliant sound engineers. The point is do not make it sound like there are not MANY people who prefer it's optimization of a listening area to a distorted version of it for one person at one location.
Patrick Murphy likes this.
post #75394 of 75399 Unread Today, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Murphy View Post
Once I asked Chris K. on the background of the early days of Audyssey. Here's what he replied on FB Audyssey Tech Talk:

Qte

It all started in 1996 with a large research grant from the National Science Foundation. An engineering research center was established at USC to study Immersive Technologies. I was one of the EE faculty that had helped write the proposal and together with my colleague from the School of Cinema (Tom Holman) we started the Immersive Audio Lab.

Our research was focused at the intersection of room acoustics, psychoacoustics and audio signal processing. To study immersion using sound we started looking at what needed to be done so that we could take a group of people into our lab and make them believe they were somewhere else--just using sound.

One of the earlier problems that we identified was the "distortion" that was being added by the room despite the careful room design and high quality speakers. Tom had been fixing this problem in movie theaters for years, but it took him hours and he was doing it all manually and with tools that were actually not capturing all the needed information. That was his challenge to me: "go figure out how to do what I do, but do it better and faster." Not a small challenge…

After 6 years of experiments and a PhD dissertation by one of my students we had something. That was the basis of the patent that started the company as a spinout from USC.

Unquote
Gary J and Patrick Murphy like this.
post #75395 of 75399 Unread Today, 02:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrindor View Post
Interesting. Any thoughts on WHY this would happen? I haven't tried this yet because it almost seems like it wouldn't work... did you increase or decrease the distance?

MY understanding of kbarnes post is that it is because of an Audessy limitation with regards to the crossovers of the multiple speakers.

I did not have, before then, any foreknowledge or expectation of this limitation.

I also thought, based on cursory reading of Audessy ads, that Audessy would have already detected then "factored in" and calculated the "variables" that can be attributed to the multiple speaker x-overs. So I thought, that was one of the reason for Audessy's calibration.

But anyway, as to WHY the calibration missed these x-over "variables", if this is true, is problematic to me because I think the calibration test tones should be able to detect these as well. But anyway, life goes on.

Enjoy your system.
post #75396 of 75399 Unread Today, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doognam View Post
MY understanding of kbarnes post is that it is because of an Audessy limitation with regards to the crossovers of the multiple speakers.
I wouldn't say it is an Audyssey limitation, but a limitation of the AVR makers on Audyssey. Marketing comes to mind, a solution yet not introduced.

Quote:
Enjoy your system.
Yeah, yeah, yeah...
post #75397 of 75399 Unread Today, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post
Once I asked Chris K. on the background of the early days of Audyssey. Here's what he replied on FB Audyssey Tech Talk:

Qte

It all started in 1996 with a large research grant from the National Science Foundation. An engineering research center was established at USC to study Immersive Technologies. I was one of the EE faculty that had helped write the proposal and together with my colleague from the School of Cinema (Tom Holman) we started the Immersive Audio Lab.

Our research was focused at the intersection of room acoustics, psychoacoustics and audio signal processing. To study immersion using sound we started looking at what needed to be done so that we could take a group of people into our lab and make them believe they were somewhere else--just using sound.

One of the earlier problems that we identified was the "distortion" that was being added by the room despite the careful room design and high quality speakers. Tom had been fixing this problem in movie theaters for years, but it took him hours and he was doing it all manually and with tools that were actually not capturing all the needed information. That was his challenge to me: "go figure out how to do what I do, but do it better and faster." Not a small challenge…

After 6 years of experiments and a PhD dissertation by one of my students we had something. That was the basis of the patent that started the company as a spinout from USC.

Unquote

Thanks for sharing this quote again. I believe that Chris was always very clear about their goals. As he says above, it was to reduce distortion in listening rooms better and faster. That is an aspect of Audyssey that is pretty universally appreciated. Whether we will all like having the same speakers, in the same configuration, with the same amplifiers, watching the same movies, and listening to the same music, from the same sources, all with the same settings, is another matter. There is plenty of room to thoroughly appreciate what Audyssey does to reduce distortion, while still preserving some individuality in the way we implement it and every other aspect of our music and home theater systems. I know that you understand that already, Feri. I just thought that Chris' quote was a good opportunity to remind ourselves that reducing distortion and pleasing ourselves about the particular undistorted sounds we hear are different things.

Mike
post #75398 of 75399 Unread Today, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
Thanks for sharing this quote again. I believe that Chris was always very clear about their goals. As he says above, it was to reduce distortion in listening rooms better and faster. That is an aspect of Audyssey that is pretty universally appreciated. Whether we will all like having the same speakers, in the same configuration, with the same amplifiers, watching the same movies, and listening to the same music, from the same sources, all with the same settings, is another matter. There is plenty of room to thoroughly appreciate what Audyssey does to reduce distortion, while still preserving some individuality in the way we implement it and every other aspect of our music and home theater systems. I know that you understand that already, Feri. I just thought that Chris' quote was a good opportunity to remind ourselves that reducing distortion and pleasing ourselves about the particular undistorted sounds we hear are different things.

Mike
Hiya Mike. I like to read your posts/comments, coz you always have a great amount of dignity and open-mindedness in your approach. Really!

I think we can agree that we all hear different things and those different things are the ones that please us individually. Striving to prove universal truth by any member here should be beyond the mission we all represent, hence the great nature of a thread where we can freely/positively exchange our position/experience and a bit of advice to queries raised by fellow members. Why not keep it up this way!
mthomas47 likes this.
post #75399 of 75399 Unread Today, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post
Hiya Mike. I like to read your posts/comments, coz you always have a great amount of dignity and open-mindedness in your approach. Really!

I think we can agree that we all hear different things and those different things are the ones that please us individually. Striving to prove universal truth by any member here should be beyond the mission we all represent, hence the great nature of a thread where we can freely/positively exchange our position/experience and a bit of advice to queries raised by fellow members. Why not keep it up this way!

Thank you, Feri! That is a very nice complement, and I completely agree with your second paragraph.

Regards,
Mike
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Receivers Amplifiers , Kef Kht1005 2se 5 1 Subwoofer Satellite System With C4 Subwoofer Gloss White , 5 6 7 1 7 2 Or 8 1 8 2 One Or Two Subwoofer Compatible 16 Banana Post 2 Rca Speaker Wall Plate For H
Gear in this thread - Kht1005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page