"Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779) - Page 2516 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #75451 of 75538 Old 04-28-2015, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
It wouldn't, but nobody is arguing it would.
Thanks for your confirmation, I knew I could count on you.

Actually that was what caught my eyes in Keith's post when he wrote: "...electronic EQ cannot pull down peaks or boost dips for more than one place at a time. IOW, if you have, say, a 7dB peak at one seat location and the REQ corrects it, then it has also brought that frequency down by 7dB for all the other seats, including those which did not suffer the 7dB peak to begin with. That much is obvious."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #75452 of 75538 Old 04-28-2015, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post
Actually that was what caught my eyes in Keith's post when he wrote: "...electronic EQ cannot pull down peaks or boost dips for more than one place at a time. IOW, if you have, say, a 7dB peak at one seat location and the REQ corrects it, then it has also brought that frequency down by 7dB for all the other seats, including those which did not suffer the 7dB peak to begin with. That much is obvious."
and that post is still 100% accurate

perhaps you can point out exactly what you think is wrong with that statement above without simply quoting others? Avoiding overcorrection to a problem that is not consistent across the listening window is not the same as fixing the problem across the listening window after all.
post #75453 of 75538 Old 04-28-2015, 12:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4159 Post(s)
Liked: 3132
Quote:
Add another exception. I've never been able to improve things with the distance tweak. Instead of saying that Audyssey "almost always" gets it wrong it's probably more cautious to say that it MAY be possible to improve things at the crossover. But only measurements will tell.
Two people then have not been able to improve the response around the splice - everyone else could. Measurements in the Sub Distance Tweak Guide to show the kind of improvement that one typically gets. I think it's fair to say that Audyssey almost always gets it wrong based on that, but if offends the sensibilities of those with religious fervor that Audyssey can never be wrong, I'm happy to concede it
post #75454 of 75538 Old 04-28-2015, 12:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I don't think it does bother any of us except for maybe one or two people. The only reason there is "controversy" is because these people, like true zealots, will at times fight for an even more rigorous orthodoxy than the original creator would himself advocate.

There is no real "controversy" about experimenting with wide vs tight measurement spacing among 99%+ of folks in this thread. Just discussion and investigation.
True. As I have always said, whether to use mic positions clustered around one seat or spread more widely just depends on what you are trying to achieve. The whole discussion is a red herring IMO only perpetuated by, as you describe them, "zealots".
post #75455 of 75538 Old 04-28-2015, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
So, do you also think a one point problem gets such priority by the MultEQ algorithm that it is corrected and finally makes the whole seating area sound bad? I don't think you would agree with that statement.
You are making it up as you go along. Nobody has said anything makes the "whole seating area sound bad", other than you. What REQ does when it does what you yourself say it does is create a sub-optimal solution for several seats as opposed to an optimal solution for a single seat. It is blindingly obvious that if several seats are 'tamed' by electronic EQ that they will all be sub-optimal. Sub-optimal does not mean "bad". It means less than optimal. You cannot have a situation where all seats are optimal by using electronic EQ - only physical measures can achieve that. Are you arguing with yourself just for something to do, or do you really not understand how electronic EQ works and what its limitations are?
post #75456 of 75538 Old 04-28-2015, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
You are making it up as you go along. Nobody has said anything makes the "whole seating area sound bad", other than you. What REQ does when it does what you yourself say it does is create a sub-optimal solution for several seats as opposed to an optimal solution for a single seat. It is blindingly obvious that if several seats are 'tamed' by electronic EQ that they will all be sub-optimal. Sub-optimal does not mean "bad". It means less than optimal. You cannot have a situation where all seats are optimal by using electronic EQ - only physical measures can achieve that. Are you arguing with yourself just for something to do, or do you really not understand how electronic EQ works and what its limitations are?
With what you are saying here Keith I fully agree. But has nothing to do with what I wanted to point out in your earier post on how the MultEQ algorithm works.

So, do you also think a one point problem gets such priority by the MultEQ algorithm that it is corrected and finally makes the whole seating area sound bad by pulling down frequencies where those "peaks" aren't present? I don't think you would agree with that statement either.
post #75457 of 75538 Old 04-28-2015, 01:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1678 Post(s)
Liked: 1918
It's a good thing Keith never said that.
RUR and kbarnes701 like this.
post #75458 of 75538 Old 04-28-2015, 01:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4492 Post(s)
Liked: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
LMAO. Did you even watch that part of the video? He made the statement about not getting close to the couch or wall behind it. This of course is to AVOID reflection...

The blanket allows you to stay more close, if needed, to a position and avoid reflection. For example, my glass table. I can use a small cloth and stay at ear height which is 5-7" off glass, can't exactly remember or move up to 12"+ off the glass, which is not ear height. For me, I see it as you want the accurate frequency response of each channel in a spot, and reflections being involved is not accurate for the base measurement. Same reason we turn the AC off when running it, even though the AC might run an entire movie. If you neighbor likes to cut grass a lot, are you going to wait and run it while he is cutting grass? Some of you want an imperfect but helpful system to be perfect, aint gonna happen. It does do a good job though.

As far as using REW after Audyssey, heck no. Not wasting my time. The simple fact of the matter is, when I follow all the guidelines set forth in this thread, my end result sounds excellent watching blu-rays at reference level. Isn't that the reason we use it? Use a cloth, dont use a cloth, you'd never know the difference I imagine. And if it sounds good to you, who cares?
Oh I did watch the video, several times and many years ago. That's why I posted it; it's a good one.
post #75459 of 75538 Old 04-28-2015, 01:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4492 Post(s)
Liked: 1775
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyMac View Post
I stumbled across AVS forums first when I was trying to figure Audyssey out. I found the guide and FAQ very helpful.
Since then I've came to really enjoy these forums. My past experience with forums has just been video game ones. There is lots of passive aggressive, rude, snotty posters in those. Guys that will qoute every sentence and spend their time picking it apart. I think it's called trolling.
I haven't really seen any of that in these forums. I think that is great.
But honestly, there seems to be a lot of that in this thread. Maybe I'm reading it wrong. But it seems like some of these posts and questions are disingenuous and mean spirited.

I don't see that myself. ...It's a very LARGE thread too.
DaveyMac likes this.
post #75460 of 75538 Old 04-29-2015, 04:55 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
With what you are saying here Keith I fully agree. But has nothing to do with what I wanted to point out in your earier post on how the MultEQ algorithm works.

So, do you also think a one point problem gets such priority by the MultEQ algorithm that it is corrected and finally makes the whole seating area sound bad by pulling down frequencies where those "peaks" aren't present? I don't think you would agree with that statement either.
I never said that. You are inventing things I am supposed to have said in order to make sense of your recent posts and you seem to be having a discussion with yourself. No need to reply - I have made my points in earlier posts and have no wish to go over them again.
post #75461 of 75538 Old 04-29-2015, 07:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

FAQ Update!

Small change to this FAQ answer:

c)5. What is the LPF of LFE and what should it be set to?

Amended to explain that by changing the setting from the standard 120Hz, information between that frequency and whatever has been chosen instead (eg 80Hz) is not 'discarded' but rolled off according to the slope of the filter. Thanks to primetimeguy for bringing this to my attention.
mthomas47 likes this.
post #75462 of 75538 Old 04-29-2015, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 430
I just read something on the internet that didn't ring true so I wanted to check here: After Audyssey calibration (if it was done correctly) should there be/can there be a 20 dB SPL difference between AVRs at "0"?

EDIT: Never mind--I found the OP misspoke.

Last edited by Zen Traveler; 04-29-2015 at 04:54 PM.
post #75463 of 75538 Old 04-29-2015, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 470
Quote so I can post...

Found a nice alternative to the boom mic stand linked in this thread.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BQOFG6W/...xtendable+Boom

My issue with the one in this thread are the 3 feet. Once out they present an issue for me getting the stand out of the way of the speaker on the mic, with my living room layout. My chairs and table are also close to the wall so I needed something to get behind and around them.

The round base is not very big at all, it is very heavy and stable, and the adapter of course fits the end.
ellisr63 likes this.

Panasonic 65" VT50 / Oppo 103D
Marantz AV7702 / Outlaw Model 7500
Klipsch RF7II (2) and RC62II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Panamax MR5100
post #75464 of 75538 Old 04-29-2015, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Quote so I can post...

Found a nice alternative to the boom mic stand linked in this thread.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BQOFG6W/...xtendable+Boom

My issue with the one in this thread are the 3 feet. Once out they present an issue for me getting the stand out of the way of the speaker on the mic, with my living room layout. My chairs and table are also close to the wall so I needed something to get behind and around them.

The round base is not very big at all, it is very heavy and stable, and the adapter of course fits the end.
I use this one, but I am not happy with it...as the gears on it are too course where the adjustments are so it moves too much for me.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (3) MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs,  PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Yamaha P7000s, (2) Yamaha P2500s, & (3) Topping 25wpch T chip amps.
The Ellis Family Go Big or go Home HT
post #75465 of 75538 Old 04-29-2015, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisr63 View Post
I use this one, but I am not happy with it...as the gears on it are too course where the adjustments are so it moves too much for me.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That is the one I was talking about. The feet are just too wide and it's hard for me to put it in the right place, almost impossible in a couple of spots. Plus, I bought it in 11/2013, and the base set screw has already broken...
ellisr63 likes this.

Panamax MR5100
post #75466 of 75538 Old 04-30-2015, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
FAQ Update!

Small change to this FAQ answer:

c)5. What is the LPF of LFE and what should it be set to?

Amended to explain that by changing the setting from the standard 120Hz, information between that frequency and whatever has been chosen instead (eg 80Hz) is not 'discarded' but rolled off according to the slope of the filter. Thanks to primetimeguy for bringing this to my attention.

Keith,

The first link to Rogers's original post works, but the second one labeled "this post" doesn't work for me. It takes me to a discussion of power cords. Interesting, but... I remember that a lot of the links changed when AVS changed platforms, and this one may have fallen through the cracks.
post #75467 of 75538 Old 04-30-2015, 10:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
Keith,

The first link to Rogers's original post works, but the second one labeled "this post" doesn't work for me. It takes me to a discussion of power cords. Interesting, but... I remember that a lot of the links changed when AVS changed platforms, and this one may have fallen through the cracks.
Damn. Thanks for finding that broken link. Your assumption is correct. Unfortunately, not having the slightest idea now where that link went, I can't find the post it points to. I’ll try again later but if I can’t find it I'll have to delete the reference there to Roger's pearls of wisdom.
post #75468 of 75538 Old 04-30-2015, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Damn. Thanks for finding that broken link. Your assumption is correct. Unfortunately, not having the slightest idea now where that link went, I can't find the post it points to. I’ll try again later but if I can’t find it I'll have to delete the reference there to Roger's pearls of wisdom.
Is this the post?

avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1431914-marantz-av8801-preamp-processor-official-owner-s-thread-106.html#post22996795
mthomas47 likes this.
post #75469 of 75538 Old 04-30-2015, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Cross post from the Klipsch thread, just to update my issue with the center running out of adjustment and level matching my other speakers. I used the CM140 SPL meter, c weight and slow:

Well, got the XLR cables in and ran XT32 again. Center was still -12, fronts now became -11 and -11.5 (XLR connection made things 2db hotter).

So after everything was said and done, I level matched.

LF was -11 (made it -9)
C was -12 (77db at that setting)
RF was -11.5 (made it -9.5)

All were then 75db as they should be, with -2.0db volume setting. So, i boosted my subs from -6 to -4, and I noted my new "reference" volume as -2.0 and not 0.0.

Panamax MR5100
post #75470 of 75538 Old 04-30-2015, 04:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I never said that. You are inventing things I am supposed to have said in order to make sense of your recent posts and you seem to be having a discussion with yourself. No need to reply - I have made my points in earlier posts and have no wish to go over them again.
PM me and I'll give you some amicable insights on why your post is not adequate.
post #75471 of 75538 Old 04-30-2015, 04:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
PM me and I'll give you some amicable insights on why your post is not adequate.
Anything you want to say can be said in the thread. But please stop making things up that you say I said, when clearly I didn't. Everyone but you who has commented seems to understand.
post #75472 of 75538 Old 04-30-2015, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Anything you want to say can be said in the thread. But please stop making things up that you say I said, when clearly I didn't. Everyone but you who has commented seems to understand.
A PM wont 'hurt.
post #75473 of 75538 Old 05-01-2015, 12:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink soda View Post
Is this the post?

avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1431914-marantz-av8801-preamp-processor-official-owner-s-thread-106.html#post22996795
Great job, thanks! Yes, it was that post. I have linked it now using the post's unique ID so it is bulletproof. Thanks again.
post #75474 of 75538 Old 05-01-2015, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Great job, thanks! Yes, it was that post. I have linked it now using the post's unique ID so it is bulletproof. Thanks again.

That second post of Roger's is a really good one. Like yourself, I tend to listen pretty closely to whatever he has to say.

This seems like a good opportunity to thank you once again for your commitment to this thread. I think you ought to hear periodically that your effort is appreciated. Creating the original FAQ was a lot of work, even though a number of others collaborated. Maintaining it, with updates and new links when necessary, is an ongoing time commitment, as well. I particularly like that you continue to be a helpful and enthusiastic participant on the thread even though you have moved on a bit with respect to Dirac Live. So, thanks!
garygarrison and DaveyMac like this.
post #75475 of 75538 Old 05-01-2015, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked: 1254
Quote:
The link still doesn't take me to the right place when using my iPad, Keith. Can you specify the exact post number, please?
post #75476 of 75538 Old 05-01-2015, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
The link still doesn't take me to the right place when using my iPad, Keith. Can you specify the exact post number, please?

Jerry, I think you have to change the number of posts per thread back to the default for the link to work. I seem to recall you having yours set to 100 (like me) and the link also doesn't work for me. I'm too lazy to change to mine back and forth but I wasn't sure if you knew about this or not.
post #75477 of 75538 Old 05-01-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:

Jerry,

It's Post # 3158.
post #75478 of 75538 Old 05-01-2015, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkasanic View Post
Jerry, I think you have to change the number of posts per thread back to the default for the link to work. I seem to recall you having yours set to 100 (like me) and the link also doesn't work for me. I'm too lazy to change to mine back and forth but I wasn't sure if you knew about this or not.
I am aware of the number of posts per page. I have it set to "Use Forum default". It works fine in IE8, but not in Safari on the iPad. AFAIK, my setting should result in correct behavior in either browser.
post #75479 of 75538 Old 05-01-2015, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
Jerry,

It's Post # 3158.
Found it, thanks.
post #75480 of 75538 Old 05-01-2015, 11:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I am aware of the number of posts per page. I have it set to "Use Forum default". It works fine in IE8, but not in Safari on the iPad. AFAIK, my setting should result in correct behavior in either browser.
Changing the setting to 30 indeed fixes the Safari issue. Don't know why Forum default setting doesn't work. Maybe because we have crappy forum software.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Receivers Amplifiers , Kef Kht1005 2se 5 1 Subwoofer Satellite System With C4 Subwoofer Gloss White , 5 6 7 1 7 2 Or 8 1 8 2 One Or Two Subwoofer Compatible 16 Banana Post 2 Rca Speaker Wall Plate For H
Gear in this thread - Kht1005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page