"Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779) - Page 2517 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #75481 of 75500 Old Yesterday, 04:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Changing the setting to 30 indeed fixes the Safari issue. Don't know why Forum default setting doesn't work. Maybe because we have crappy forum software.
Maybe it depends what the poster has their number of posts set to?! Either way, I agree with your last statement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #75482 of 75500 Old Yesterday, 08:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 21
High-Back Couch

I have a high-back couch. How much higher should the measurements be taken than the back of the couch, especially for 7 and 8? Thanks. Ear level is a couple of inches below the top of the couch.
post #75483 of 75500 Old Yesterday, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymacIII View Post
I have a high-back couch. How much higher should the measurements be taken than the back of the couch, especially for 7 and 8? Thanks. Ear level is a couple of inches below the top of the couch.

The main reason to get the mic. higher than the back of the couch is to let it "see" your rear speakers. So, a lot depends on whether you have rear speakers, how high they are, whether they are angled down, and so on. In general, taking a couple of measurements, in whatever order after #1, two to three inches higher seems to work pretty well. Three inches should get you just clear of the top of the sofa. If your couch is the leather one in your photo, it would be a good idea to cover it with a blanket or an absorbent towel, during calibration, to avoid comb filtering due to proximity to the mic.
kbarnes701 likes this.
post #75484 of 75500 Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
The main reason to get the mic. higher than the back of the couch is to let it "see" your rear speakers. So, a lot depends on whether you have rear speakers, how high they are, whether they are angled down, and so on. In general, taking a couple of measurements, in whatever order after #1, two to three inches higher seems to work pretty well. Three inches should get you just clear of the top of the sofa. If your couch is the leather one in your photo, it would be a good idea to cover it with a blanket or an absorbent towel, during calibration, to avoid comb filtering due to proximity to the mic.
Thanks for the great info. My surrounds are 2.5 feet above my head. Yes, the couch is identical to the one in the picture. I was just worried about position 7 and 8 since it looks as though from the diagram that they are over the back of the couch. Since the FAQ thread had stated that the mic should be 12-15 inches from the couch back I was unsure whether or not that was the case for vertically as well in accordance with position 7 and 8 since the back is directly below those measurements.

So 2-3 inches above the couch back for 7 and in 8 should be fine then? Thanks.
post #75485 of 75500 Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymacIII View Post
Thanks for the great info. My surrounds are 2.5 feet above my head. Yes, the couch is identical to the one in the picture. I was just worried about position 7 and 8 since it looks as though from the diagram that they are over the back of the couch. Since the FAQ thread had stated that the mic should be 12-15 inches from the couch back I was unsure whether or not that was the case for vertically as well in accordance with position 7 and 8 since the back is directly below those measurements.

So 2-3 inches above the couch back for 7 and in 8 should be fine then? Thanks.

You are very welcome.

The reason for staying 12"-15" from the couch back is to keep the Audyssey microphone from getting too close to the hard surface of the couch. If it does get too close, it may overcorrect high frequencies due to the spurious reflections bouncing from the couch into the mic. Using a blanket helps to solve the same problem, so you can actually get much closer to the couch back. With the blanket, even 6" away should be fine. As far as mic. height goes, stay about 6" forward, and then just barely clearing the top of the couch should be okay. So just go up about 3" from Position #1 rather than 2"-3" above the top of the couch. You want to keep everything fairly close to ear level if you can.
johnnymacIII likes this.
post #75486 of 75500 Old Today, 02:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 4138 Post(s)
Liked: 3114
Quote:
That second post of Roger's is a really good one. Like yourself, I tend to listen pretty closely to whatever he has to say.

This seems like a good opportunity to thank you once again for your commitment to this thread. I think you ought to hear periodically that your effort is appreciated. Creating the original FAQ was a lot of work, even though a number of others collaborated. Maintaining it, with updates and new links when necessary, is an ongoing time commitment, as well. I particularly like that you continue to be a helpful and enthusiastic participant on the thread even though you have moved on a bit with respect to Dirac Live. So, thanks!
Thanks for those kind word. Very much appreciated.
post #75487 of 75500 Old Today, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I have a question related to LFE.
I notice that at large explosion scenes, at some points it seems there is big stone in my sub cabinet that is bouncing inside. (Sorry, it's hard to explain).
Does this mean the sub is falling short to reproduce the content? If so, would adding a sub resolve the issue.
(As for settings, the sub is optimally placed in the room and Audyssey has set my sub to -11.5 dB. I have made it hot by 3.5db by setting the offset in the "Channel Level" for the input. (on Denon) ).
Appreciate your help.
post #75488 of 75500 Old Today, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked: 279
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post
I notice that at large explosion scenes, at some points it seems there is big stone in my sub cabinet that is bouncing inside. (Sorry, it's hard to explain).
Does this mean the sub is falling short to reproduce the content? If so, would adding a sub resolve the issue.
(As for settings, the sub is optimally placed in the room and Audyssey has set my sub to -11.5 dB. I have made it hot by 3.5db by setting the offset in the "Channel Level" for the input. (on Denon) ).
Appreciate your help.
You might be overdriving the sub... Try backing it back down to what Audyssey set it at and play the same scene.

Denon 4520ci, (3) JBL 2360As/EV DHA-1s, (3) 1/4 Pie bass bins, (3) MiniDSP 2x4s, (4) Klipsch HIPs,  PS3, XBox 360, (3) Intel NUCs, Redmere, Monster HTPS7000, 2 DTS-10 subs, Panasonic AE8000, SeymourAV 180 (195" diagonal) scope screen, Darbee Darcet, Yamaha P7000s, (2) Yamaha P2500s, & (3) Topping 25wpch T chip amps.
The Ellis Family Go Big or go Home HT
post #75489 of 75500 Old Today, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Liked: 1909
What subwoofer is it and how big is the room? And at what volumes levels does it happen? Does the noise disappear at lower volumes?

Initial diagnosis: insufficient woofage
post #75490 of 75500 Old Today, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
What subwoofer is it and how big is the room? And at what volumes levels does it happen? Does the noise disappear at lower volumes?

The sub is ED A250
Room is about 1600 cuft. (18'x12'x7.5')
MV = -22dB
Audyssey set sub level = -11.5 dB
Sub boost = +3.5 dB (using channel level. So effective sub level = -8.0 dB)

I have not tried at lower volumes, but will check that.
post #75491 of 75500 Old Today, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2463 Post(s)
Liked: 1240
Quote:
Appreciate your help.
Sounds to me like your sub is "bottoming out", which means the Motor is causing the voice coil to exceed the excursion limit for which the speaker was designed, and the sound you hear is the mechanical sound of the voice coil hitting the excursion limiters. This happens when you feed the sub a signal louder than it can handle. Turn down the sub trim to avoid this from happening. Additional subs can improve the headroom of the bass, if you want LFE sound effects in movies to play at a loud level. Try a couple of Seaton Submersives...
post #75492 of 75500 Old Today, 10:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Liked: 1909
Quote:
Quote:

The sub is ED A250
Room is about 1600 cuft. (18'x12'x7.5')
MV = -22dB
Audyssey set sub level = -11.5 dB
Sub boost = +3.5 dB (using channel level. So effective sub level = -8.0 dB)

I have not tried at lower volumes, but will check that.
Hmmmm. That's a small room and even with the 3.5db boost you are still 20db below reference. That's only 95db peaks in LFE and that sub should handle that no problem.

I might revise the diagnosis to potentially broken subwoofer
post #75493 of 75500 Old Today, 10:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hmmmm. That's a small room and even with the 3.5db boost you are still 20db below reference. That's only 95db peaks in LFE and that sub should handle that no problem.

oops. But apart from the large explosions, it behaves normally.
post #75494 of 75500 Old Today, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked: 197
Quote:
oops. But apart from the large explosions, it behaves normally.
Do you have kids? Could they have dropped a toy in the port?
post #75495 of 75500 Old Today, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Sounds to me like your sub is "bottoming out", which means the Motor is causing the voice coil to exceed the excursion limit for which the speaker was designed, and the sound you hear is the mechanical sound of the voice coil hitting the excursion limiters. This happens when you feed the sub a signal louder than it can handle. Turn down the sub trim to avoid this from happening. Additional subs can improve the headroom of the bass, if you want LFE sound effects in movies to play at a loud level. Try a couple of Seaton Submersives...
Thanks Jerry..
Looks like I need to look for one or two new subs.
post #75496 of 75500 Old Today, 12:05 PM

Quote:

I will gladly defer to you and Jerry on this issue, but it seems to me that if a moderately powered sub has an Audyssey setting of -11.5, it is likely to already have the sub's gain set high. Then if you add 3.5db, depending on the MV setting, I could see the sub bottoming out during explosions, or whatever, particularly if you potentially factor DEQ into the equation. I suspect that your original diagnosis was correct.
post #75497 of 75500 Unread Today, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I will gladly defer to you and Jerry on this issue, but it seems to me that if a moderately powered sub has an Audyssey setting of -11.5, it is likely to already have the sub's gain set high. Then if you add 3.5db, depending on the MV setting, I could see the sub bottoming out during explosions, or whatever, particularly if you potentially factor DEQ into the equation. I suspect that your original diagnosis was correct.
sub gain knob is between 1 and 2 o'clock position.
post #75498 of 75500 Unread Today, 01:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I concur. Before he tries a new sub it might be worth recalibrating to get a higher trim and a lower gain setting on the sub itself. I'd aim for maybe an Audyssey set trim of say -5dB which he can boost to -1.5dB. If that doesn't stop the problem I'd say the sub has been damaged.
post #75499 of 75500 Unread Today, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
I concur. Before he tries a new sub it might be worth recalibrating to get a higher trim and a lower gain setting on the sub itself. I'd aim for maybe an Audyssey set trim of say -5dB which he can boost to -1.5dB. If that doesn't stop the problem I'd say the sub has been damaged.
Okay Keith. Will try to get into that ballpark. From my past experience normally the gain knob at 12 O'clock achieves that.
I was under the (wrong maybe) impression that setting the sub gain such that Audyssey setting goes closer to -12.0 db would be the best thing. That would give you more boosting power.
post #75500 of 75500 Unread Today, 01:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Okay Keith. Will try to get into that ballpark. From my past experience normally the gain knob at 12 O'clock achieves that.
I was under the (wrong maybe) impression that setting the sub gain such that Audyssey setting goes closer to -12.0 db would be the best thing. That would give you more boosting power.
It's a balancing act. You may have the balance wrong for your particular situation. It's worth trying to rebalance IMO before deciding there's a problem. If the sub isn't broken then there has to be a reason why it's bottoming and overdriving would usually be that reason. Worth a try anyway.
mthomas47 likes this.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Receivers Amplifiers , Kef Kht1005 2se 5 1 Subwoofer Satellite System With C4 Subwoofer Gloss White , 5 6 7 1 7 2 Or 8 1 8 2 One Or Two Subwoofer Compatible 16 Banana Post 2 Rca Speaker Wall Plate For H
Gear in this thread - Kht1005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page