"Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779) - Page 2518 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
Thread Tools
post #75511 of 75519 Old Today, 05:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 22,193
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4141 Post(s)
Liked: 3120
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post
Thanks Jerry.
I will try that sub test you mentioned.
Looked at the Seatons. Wow, I fainted. It's way out of my league. My max reach would be the SVS PB-1000. But thanks for suggestion.

Thing is, with Submersives they will be the last subs you ever buy. So while they are expensive up front, over time and money saved on upgraditis, they might actually work out cheaper in the long run. Well, that's how I justified it to myself anyway LOL.
ellisr63 likes this.
kbarnes701 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #75512 of 75519 Old Today, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Gary J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: 4000' or sea level
Posts: 7,830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
LOL. Audyssey can never be wrong. Audyssey is infallible.
Once again your ugly prejudicial words not his. Are you new at this?
mogorf likes this.
Gary J is online now  
post #75513 of 75519 Old Today, 08:31 AM
Senior Member
 
mthomas47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post
Looks like my sub is (still) alive.
After doing what Keith has said and with 2.5dB boost, it's not so bad.
May be I was pushing the sub way too hard??
Thanks everyone for the help.

Good news that your sub appears to be undamaged and that the tweak you made helps. It does sound as if you were simply pushing it too hard, and you may be in good shape again, at least for a while. You mentioned SVS. They make very good subs; not in the Submersive class, but I believe still an excellent value overall. I think as a longer term strategy, it might be worthwhile looking at an upgrade to get lower/louder bass. If you do, also take a look at some of the SVS cylinders: the PC12-NSD or the Plus. You can sometimes find very good deals on used ones as people either trade up or move to smaller places where they can't use them anymore.

I believe I remember seeing you over on the Atmos thread. If so, you probably really enjoy the movie experience, and getting more/better bass might be an important aspect of that. Going from your current 300 watt sub to even a single Submersive (much less a pair) would be like going from a Pinto to a Ferrari. But the advice to consider an upgrade may still be perfectly valid. You may just need to approach it a little more gradually. I hope you don't mind me weighing in on this.

Regards,
Mike
mthomas47 is online now  
post #75514 of 75519 Old Today, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
aaranddeeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Lover's State
Posts: 1,994
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
Good news that your sub appears to be undamaged and that the tweak you made helps. It does sound as if you were simply pushing it too hard, and you may be in good shape again, at least for a while. You mentioned SVS. They make very good subs; not in the Submersive class, but I believe still an excellent value overall. I think as a longer term strategy, it might be worthwhile looking at an upgrade to get lower/louder bass. If you do, also take a look at some of the SVS cylinders: the PC12-NSD or the Plus. You can sometimes find very good deals on used ones as people either trade up or move to smaller places where they can't use them anymore.

I believe I remember seeing you over on the Atmos thread. If so, you probably really enjoy the movie experience, and getting more/better bass might be an important aspect of that. Going from your current 300 watt sub to even a single Submersive (much less a pair) would be like going from a Pinto to a Ferrari. But the advice to consider an upgrade may still be perfectly valid. You may just need to approach it a little more gradually. I hope you don't mind me weighing in on this.

Regards,
Mike
Thank you Mike. I welcome your advice.
Do you think the cylinder subs perfrom better than the traditional boxes, or it's just a design compromise to accomadate into tighter space?
aaranddeeman is offline  
post #75515 of 75519 Old Today, 09:55 AM
Senior Member
 
mthomas47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 467
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post
Thank you Mike. I welcome your advice.
Do you think the cylinder subs perfrom better than the traditional boxes, or it's just a design compromise to accomadate into tighter space?

I don't think there would be a measurable or audible performance difference between equivalent models of cylinders and boxes. But the cylinder isn't a design compromise. SVS started with cylinders, because they delivered good performance in a smaller footprint, and for less weight, than a comparable box would have. The weight can be a factor if you are moving your sub around. The cylinders are not difficult for a person to manage by himself.

According to SVS, the cylinders are also about 10% less expensive than comparable box models. I was suggesting upgrading to a 12" woofer rather than another 10", and because cylinders are more popular (and plentiful), I think you would probably be able to get a better deal on one.
mthomas47 is online now  
post #75516 of 75519 Old Today, 10:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 22,193
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4141 Post(s)
Liked: 3120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
Once again your ugly prejudicial words not his. Are you new at this?
Found any Lego in your sub lately? LOL.
kbarnes701 is online now  
post #75517 of 75519 Old Today, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 22,193
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4141 Post(s)
Liked: 3120
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
Good news that your sub appears to be undamaged and that the tweak you made helps. It does sound as if you were simply pushing it too hard, and you may be in good shape again, at least for a while. You mentioned SVS. They make very good subs; not in the Submersive class, but I believe still an excellent value overall. I think as a longer term strategy, it might be worthwhile looking at an upgrade to get lower/louder bass. If you do, also take a look at some of the SVS cylinders: the PC12-NSD or the Plus. You can sometimes find very good deals on used ones as people either trade up or move to smaller places where they can't use them anymore.

I believe I remember seeing you over on the Atmos thread. If so, you probably really enjoy the movie experience, and getting more/better bass might be an important aspect of that. Going from your current 300 watt sub to even a single Submersive (much less a pair) would be like going from a Pinto to a Ferrari. But the advice to consider an upgrade may still be perfectly valid. You may just need to approach it a little more gradually. I hope you don't mind me weighing in on this.

Regards,
Mike
I agree - I used to have a pair of SVS PC12-NSD cylinder subs - they are fantastic performers for the money. aaranddemann would not regret buying one (or two) of those.
kbarnes701 is online now  
post #75518 of 75519 Old Today, 10:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
kbarnes701's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Main Listening Positon
Posts: 22,193
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4141 Post(s)
Liked: 3120
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
I don't think there would be a measurable or audible performance difference between equivalent models of cylinders and boxes. But the cylinder isn't a design compromise. SVS started with cylinders, because they delivered good performance in a smaller footprint, and for less weight, than a comparable box would have. The weight can be a factor if you are moving your sub around. The cylinders are not difficult for a person to manage by himself.

According to SVS, the cylinders are also about 10% less expensive than comparable box models. I was suggesting upgrading to a 12" woofer rather than another 10", and because cylinders are more popular (and plentiful), I think you would probably be able to get a better deal on one.
Also, of course, a cylinder is an inherently very strong form factor allowing SVS to squeeze terrific performance out of the sub for less weight, less footprint and less cost.
kbarnes701 is online now  
post #75519 of 75519 Unread Today, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
mogorf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Posts: 4,781
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post
Looks like my sub is (still) alive.
After doing what Keith has said and with 2.5dB boost, it's not so bad.
May be I was pushing the sub way too hard??
Thanks everyone for the help.
aaranddeeman, I have some doubt that recalibrating your system could really solve your problem. You went from "big stone in sub cabinet bouncing inside" to "it's not so bad".

Think of the re-calibration like this please. Audyssey set your sub to reference level. You had a -11.5 dB sub trim with gain knob on the sub between 1-2 o'clock. Now you have a -5 dB trim with sub set to 10 o'clock. Nothing changed, the SPL delivered by the sub remained the same with both calibrations.

On another note, neither the -11.5 dB nor the -5 dB would drive the preamp of the avr and the plate amp of the sub into clipping.

You just decreased the signal input of the sub, yet increased the signal output of the avr. The big stone doesn't seem to be an electronic issue in this case.

Whether you'd like to investigate your case in more depth is up to you, of course.

Last edited by mogorf; Today at 11:08 AM.
mogorf is online now  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Receivers Amplifiers , Kef Kht1005 2se 5 1 Subwoofer Satellite System With C4 Subwoofer Gloss White , 5 6 7 1 7 2 Or 8 1 8 2 One Or Two Subwoofer Compatible 16 Banana Post 2 Rca Speaker Wall Plate For H
Gear in this thread - Kht1005 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off