"Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779) - Page 2518 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #75511 of 75531 Old Today, 05:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4146 Post(s)
Liked: 3122
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post
Thanks Jerry.
I will try that sub test you mentioned.
Looked at the Seatons. Wow, I fainted. It's way out of my league. My max reach would be the SVS PB-1000. But thanks for suggestion.

Thing is, with Submersives they will be the last subs you ever buy. So while they are expensive up front, over time and money saved on upgraditis, they might actually work out cheaper in the long run. Well, that's how I justified it to myself anyway LOL.
ellisr63 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #75512 of 75531 Old Today, 05:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbarnes701 View Post
LOL. Audyssey can never be wrong. Audyssey is infallible.
Once again your ugly prejudicial words not his. Are you new at this?
mogorf likes this.
post #75513 of 75531 Old Today, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Looks like my sub is (still) alive.
After doing what Keith has said and with 2.5dB boost, it's not so bad.
May be I was pushing the sub way too hard??
Thanks everyone for the help.

Good news that your sub appears to be undamaged and that the tweak you made helps. It does sound as if you were simply pushing it too hard, and you may be in good shape again, at least for a while. You mentioned SVS. They make very good subs; not in the Submersive class, but I believe still an excellent value overall. I think as a longer term strategy, it might be worthwhile looking at an upgrade to get lower/louder bass. If you do, also take a look at some of the SVS cylinders: the PC12-NSD or the Plus. You can sometimes find very good deals on used ones as people either trade up or move to smaller places where they can't use them anymore.

I believe I remember seeing you over on the Atmos thread. If so, you probably really enjoy the movie experience, and getting more/better bass might be an important aspect of that. Going from your current 300 watt sub to even a single Submersive (much less a pair) would be like going from a Pinto to a Ferrari. But the advice to consider an upgrade may still be perfectly valid. You may just need to approach it a little more gradually. I hope you don't mind me weighing in on this.

Regards,
Mike
post #75514 of 75531 Old Today, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
Good news that your sub appears to be undamaged and that the tweak you made helps. It does sound as if you were simply pushing it too hard, and you may be in good shape again, at least for a while. You mentioned SVS. They make very good subs; not in the Submersive class, but I believe still an excellent value overall. I think as a longer term strategy, it might be worthwhile looking at an upgrade to get lower/louder bass. If you do, also take a look at some of the SVS cylinders: the PC12-NSD or the Plus. You can sometimes find very good deals on used ones as people either trade up or move to smaller places where they can't use them anymore.

I believe I remember seeing you over on the Atmos thread. If so, you probably really enjoy the movie experience, and getting more/better bass might be an important aspect of that. Going from your current 300 watt sub to even a single Submersive (much less a pair) would be like going from a Pinto to a Ferrari. But the advice to consider an upgrade may still be perfectly valid. You may just need to approach it a little more gradually. I hope you don't mind me weighing in on this.

Regards,
Mike
Thank you Mike. I welcome your advice.
Do you think the cylinder subs perfrom better than the traditional boxes, or it's just a design compromise to accomadate into tighter space?
post #75515 of 75531 Old Today, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Thank you Mike. I welcome your advice.
Do you think the cylinder subs perfrom better than the traditional boxes, or it's just a design compromise to accomadate into tighter space?

I don't think there would be a measurable or audible performance difference between equivalent models of cylinders and boxes. But the cylinder isn't a design compromise. SVS started with cylinders, because they delivered good performance in a smaller footprint, and for less weight, than a comparable box would have. The weight can be a factor if you are moving your sub around. The cylinders are not difficult for a person to manage by himself.

According to SVS, the cylinders are also about 10% less expensive than comparable box models. I was suggesting upgrading to a 12" woofer rather than another 10", and because cylinders are more popular (and plentiful), I think you would probably be able to get a better deal on one.
post #75516 of 75531 Old Today, 10:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary J View Post
Once again your ugly prejudicial words not his. Are you new at this?
Found any Lego in your sub lately? LOL.
post #75517 of 75531 Old Today, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Regards,
Mike
I agree - I used to have a pair of SVS PC12-NSD cylinder subs - they are fantastic performers for the money. aaranddemann would not regret buying one (or two) of those.
post #75518 of 75531 Old Today, 10:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I don't think there would be a measurable or audible performance difference between equivalent models of cylinders and boxes. But the cylinder isn't a design compromise. SVS started with cylinders, because they delivered good performance in a smaller footprint, and for less weight, than a comparable box would have. The weight can be a factor if you are moving your sub around. The cylinders are not difficult for a person to manage by himself.

According to SVS, the cylinders are also about 10% less expensive than comparable box models. I was suggesting upgrading to a 12" woofer rather than another 10", and because cylinders are more popular (and plentiful), I think you would probably be able to get a better deal on one.
Also, of course, a cylinder is an inherently very strong form factor allowing SVS to squeeze terrific performance out of the sub for less weight, less footprint and less cost.
post #75519 of 75531 Old Today, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Looks like my sub is (still) alive.
After doing what Keith has said and with 2.5dB boost, it's not so bad.
May be I was pushing the sub way too hard??
Thanks everyone for the help.
aaranddeeman, I have some doubt that recalibrating your system could really solve your problem. You went from "big stone in sub cabinet bouncing inside" to "it's not so bad".

Think of the re-calibration like this please. Audyssey set your sub to reference level. You had a -11.5 dB sub trim with gain knob on the sub between 1-2 o'clock. Now you have a -5 dB trim with sub set to 10 o'clock. Nothing changed, the SPL delivered by the sub remained the same with both calibrations.

On another note, neither the -11.5 dB nor the -5 dB would drive the preamp of the avr and the plate amp of the sub into clipping.

You just decreased the signal input of the sub, yet increased the signal output of the avr. The big stone doesn't seem to be an electronic issue in this case.

Whether you'd like to investigate your case in more depth is up to you, of course.

Last edited by mogorf; Today at 11:08 AM.
post #75520 of 75531 Old Today, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post
aaranddeeman, I have some doubt that recalibrating your system could really solve your problem. You went from "big stone in sub cabinet bouncing inside" to "it's not so bad".

Think of the re-calibration like this please. Audyssey set your sub to reference level. You had a -11.5 dB sub trim with gain knob on the sub between 1-2 o'clock. Now you have a -5 dB trim with sub set to 10 o'clock. Nothing changed, the SPL delivered by the sub remained the same with both calibrations.

On another note, neither the -11.5 dB nor the -5 dB would drive the preamp of the avr and the plate amp of the sub into clipping.

You just decreased the signal input of the sub, yet increased the signal output of the avr. The big stone doesn't seem to be an electronic issue in this case.

Whether you'd like to investigate your case in more depth is up to you, of course.
I am listening...
I thought the same way when I was going lowest on sub trim setting by Audyssey, but...
I would sure like to investigate further. Any help is appreciated.
Just to be clear, the bad behaviour is mainly like when "building collapsing on each other with explosions" . Seems like sub is trying hard to reproduce the sound but may be reaching it's limits.
post #75521 of 75531 Old Today, 12:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
The link still doesn't take me to the right place when using my iPad, Keith. Can you specify the exact post number, please?
The post's unique ID is 22996795. I cant understand why the link doesn't take you there - the idea of the unique ID is that it is, well, unique, and a link can’t go anywhere else. Odd.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #75522 of 75531 Old Today, 12:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkasanic View Post
Jerry, I think you have to change the number of posts per thread back to the default for the link to work. I seem to recall you having yours set to 100 (like me) and the link also doesn't work for me. I'm too lazy to change to mine back and forth but I wasn't sure if you knew about this or not.
You saying the link doesn’t take you to Roger's post either? It has nothing to do with the ppp setting - the unique ID overrides all that which is why I always use unique IDs for links. If the link doesn’t take you there, then AVS is broken somehow.
post #75523 of 75531 Old Today, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
I am listening...
I thought the same way when I was going lowest on sub trim setting by Audyssey, but...
I would sure like to investigate further. Any help is appreciated.
Just to be clear, the bad behaviour is mainly like when "building collapsing on each other with explosions" . Seems like sub is trying hard to reproduce the sound but may be reaching it's limits.
As you have described it previously this also happens at -22 dB MV. Hmmm, a broken sub?
post #75524 of 75531 Old Today, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
You saying the link doesn’t take you to Roger's post either? It has nothing to do with the ppp setting - the unique ID overrides all that which is why I always use unique IDs for links. If the link doesn’t take you there, then AVS is broken somehow.

The first "this post" link in the FAQ section referenced (after links to Roger and Mark) takes me to the top of p. 115 (out of 129) or here:

Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread
post #75525 of 75531 Old Today, 12:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
The first "this post" link in the FAQ section referenced (after links to Roger and Mark) takes me to the top of p. 115 (out of 129) or here:

Marantz AV8801 Preamp/Processor Official Owner's thread
Weird. The whole point of using the unique ID is that it overrides everything else, such as ppp, deleted posts, user settings etc and refers directly to the AVS database. It must be broken in some way - we do get a lot of 'database errors' in this thread, so maybe that has a bearing on it. There's nothing I can do - if I link to the post in the usual way, then anyone with a ppp setting of anything other than 30 is guaranteed to be taken to the wrong place.

Incidentally, do the other links work for you? Try these:

a)2. Why is dialogue from the centre channel difficult to hear or understand?

c)5. What is the LPF of LFE and what should it be set to?

f)7. What is ‘LFE + Main’ or ‘Double Bass’ and should I use it?

(They all use Unique Post ID too.)
post #75526 of 75531 Old Today, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Weird. The whole point of using the unique ID is that it overrides everything else, such as ppp, deleted posts, user settings etc and refers directly to the AVS database. It must be broken in some way - we do get a lot of 'database errors' in this thread, so maybe that has a bearing on it. There's nothing I can do - if I link to the post in the usual way, then anyone with a ppp setting of anything other than 30 is guaranteed to be taken to the wrong place.

Incidentally, do the other links work for you? Try these:

a)2. Why is dialogue from the centre channel difficult to hear or understand?

c)5. What is the LPF of LFE and what should it be set to?

f)7. What is ‘LFE + Main’ or ‘Double Bass’ and should I use it?

(They all use Unique Post ID too.)

Yes, all 3 links work fine. Incidentally, I'm on Windows 8.1 with IE 11.
post #75527 of 75531 Old Today, 01:44 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Yes, all 3 links work fine. Incidentally, I'm on Windows 8.1 with IE 11.
Very odd. All those FAQ links use Unique Post ID as does the link to Roger's post.
post #75528 of 75531 Old Today, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2471 Post(s)
Liked: 1246
Quote:
Very odd. All those FAQ links use Unique Post ID as does the link to Roger's post.
Obviously something is FUBAR.
post #75529 of 75531 Old Today, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are you sure that all of the posts are using unique ID's? When hovering over the posts, I get a short description if the link is a Unique ID:

and nothing shows up on the links that aren't working:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Link.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	700474   Click image for larger version

Name:	Links.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	243.7 KB
ID:	700482  
post #75530 of 75531 Unread Today, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hi all - I have a problem that might by Audyssey related so I was hoping you could help me out.

Equipment:
JTR Noesis 228HT LCR, JBL 8340a surrounds.
Seaton Terraform x2 subs
Denon 4520ci with XT32

Here's a frequency response after running audyssey:

When I look at Audyssey and check the eq it is using, it shows me this picture which makes it seem that Audyssey itself is causing the 125hz suckout. Is that the case?
post #75531 of 75531 Unread Today, 03:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Are you sure that all of the posts are using unique ID's? When hovering over the posts, I get a short description if the link is a Unique ID:

and nothing shows up on the links that aren't working:

This is the unique ID of the post I am replying to:

{url}http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/795421-official-audyssey-thread-faq-post-51779-a-2518.html#[/url]post33982130

I can't remember of course if every single AVS internal link has been corrected. I know it took days of work to fix the FAQ after they downgraded to VB from Huddler.

Last edited by kbarnes701; Today at 03:50 PM.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Receivers Amplifiers , Kef Kht1005 2se 5 1 Subwoofer Satellite System With C4 Subwoofer Gloss White , 5 6 7 1 7 2 Or 8 1 8 2 One Or Two Subwoofer Compatible 16 Banana Post 2 Rca Speaker Wall Plate For H
Gear in this thread - Kht1005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page