"Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779) - Page 2526 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #75751 of 75758 Old Today, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by REM Germany View Post
Alright,

I had now a chance to listen some more to the new processor and what Audyssey did after I set everything up.

Right now I am relatively happy with the SQ, everything including the bass seems to be spot on. I took the advise on the FAQ and run the Sub 2 dB hotter for some more fun.

The only thing which is a bit annoying is the center/dialogue level which is pretty low for my taste.

I think this might be related to my center placement as I had to run the center a good + 2.5 dB hotter on my previous processors as well.

Now I have the option to raise the trim under general settings, but in addition to that I have the option on the Marantz to adjust each channels volume from another options menu when running a movie.

Does anyone know what the difference is? The trims in both menus are not the same, so when running the Center at e.g. +6 db I still get the option to adjust another +12 db from the other options menu.

My problem right now is that not just the dialoge level seems to be pretty low, but there is a loss of detail as well when I have audyssey enabled unless I crank the center up.

Without Audyssey enabled all those details are there, but then the bass is lacking because the dynamic EQ is not enabled.
Dynamic EQ could be increasing the bass too much and masking some of the dialog or making it harder to hear. A few things you can try and see if you like it better.

- Try using the Reference Level Offset for Dynamic EQ, set it to 5db or even 10db
- Turn off Dyn EQ and just boost the sub a couple more db.
- Rather than the Audyssey reference curve, try the flat/music curve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #75752 of 75758 Old Today, 12:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Alright,

I had now a chance to listen some more to the new processor and what Audyssey did after I set everything up.

Right now I am relatively happy with the SQ, everything including the bass seems to be spot on. I took the advise on the FAQ and run the Sub 2 dB hotter for some more fun.

The only thing which is a bit annoying is the center/dialogue level which is pretty low for my taste.

I think this might be related to my center placement as I had to run the center a good + 2.5 dB hotter on my previous processors as well.

Now I have the option to raise the trim under general settings, but in addition to that I have the option on the Marantz to adjust each channels volume from another options menu when running a movie.

Does anyone know what the difference is? The trims in both menus are not the same, so when running the Center at e.g. +6 db I still get the option to adjust another +12 db from the other options menu.

My problem right now is that not just the dialoge level seems to be pretty low, but there is a loss of detail as well when I have audyssey enabled unless I crank the center up.

Without Audyssey enabled all those details are there, but then the bass is lacking because the dynamic EQ is not enabled.

Before you try cranking up the center volume any more, you might want to trouble shoot your set-up and calibration a little more. Could you post a picture showing the location of your center? Experience has shown that if the center is pushed back too far on a shelf, or not pointed up (or down, depending) at listening height, there can be a loss of volume and/or clarity. Something like that may very well be the problem.

You could also try running additional calibrations, varying the mic. positions a little, in the hope that you will get a better result. If you do, be sure to keep a record of your mic. positions for your best calibration.

If neither of those options works, you can probably continue to adjust your center channel upward a little bit, without any harm. But regardless of where the adjustment is made, I believe your volume will max out at +12. I wouldn't feel comfortable running too much farther into the plus range, but that may just be me. I hope this helps.

Regards,
Mike
post #75753 of 75758 Old Today, 12:54 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks for the advice,

I am currently already using the flat setting, however I still have the feeling that there is a loss of detail from the center ( felt even worse with the reference settings).

Will tinker around with the dynamic EQ settings a bit to see if that makes a difference.

Undortunately I dont have a possibility to measure the room.

Just to give you a sample of what I am talking about: When Tony Starks HQ gets attacked by the Helicopters in Iron Man 3 there is this moment when the first missile hits and Stark calls the suit to protect Pepper. When the suit "lands" on pepper there are still pieces of stones etc. flying around and one hits her on the suit's chestpiece. Without Audyssey you can hear the impact of this stone on the suit...with Audyssey Flat/Reference this detail is lost, unless I increase center volume by 3 db or so.

I think I watched this part of the movie already a hundred times over the weekend to get the settings right.
post #75754 of 75758 Old Today, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
Before you try cranking up the center volume any more, you might want to trouble shoot your set-up and calibration a little more. Could you post a picture showing the location of your center? Experience has shown that if the center is pushed back too far on a shelf, or not pointed up (or down, depending) at listening height, there can be a loss of volume and/or clarity. Something like that may very well be the problem.

You could also try running additional calibrations, varying the mic. positions a little, in the hope that you will get a better result. If you do, be sure to keep a record of your mic. positions for your best calibration.

If neither of those options works, you can probably continue to adjust your center channel upward a little bit, without any harm. But regardless of where the adjustment is made, I believe your volume will max out at +12. I wouldn't feel comfortable running too much farther into the plus range, but that may just be me. I hope this helps.

Regards,
Mike
Hi Mike,

The center is located on a shelf and the front of the center ends exactly at the end of the shelf, so its not really pushed back.

However you are right that it is slightly above my listening position and not pointing down.

I considered this as problematic already, but as I am using active speakers the center is pretty heavy and I need to figure out a way how to raise it but preventing it from slipping down the shelf.

When adjusting the center channel I am running at +6 dB so there is still a bit of room until reaching the +12 db mark.

I am listening at way below reference level as well, so It should hopefully be fine.
post #75755 of 75758 Old Today, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for the advice,

I am currently already using the flat setting, however I still have the feeling that there is a loss of detail from the center ( felt even worse with the reference settings).

Will tinker around with the dynamic EQ settings a bit to see if that makes a difference.

Undortunately I dont have a possibility to measure the room.

Just to give you a sample of what I am talking about: When Tony Starks HQ gets attacked by the Helicopters in Iron Man 3 there is this moment when the first missile hits and Stark calls the suit to protect Pepper. When the suit "lands" on pepper there are still pieces of stones etc. flying around and one hits her on the suit's chestpiece. Without Audyssey you can hear the impact of this stone on the suit...with Audyssey Flat/Reference this detail is lost, unless I increase center volume by 3 db or so.

I think I watched this part of the movie already a hundred times over the weekend to get the settings right.
When you increase the center channel by 3db, is that when you get to +6? If so, I don't see any harm in that. I was concerned that you needed to continue to increase even beyond +6, and I would start to worry about your speaker if you got too high. Again, I may be just a little cautious about that sort of thing.

I cross-posted with you there, so I will edit this. Try pulling your center forward so that it clears the edge of the shelf by an inch, or so. That should help. I understand the problem with trying to tilt the speaker forward, but even a fractional angle downward might also help. You could try putting a very thin shim of some sort under the back edge just as an experiment. I'm guessing that positioning is at least a part of the problem.

Last edited by mthomas47; Today at 01:14 PM.
post #75756 of 75758 Unread Today, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Im having issues with Audyssey xt32 and bass response, is there any mic positions that would give tighter bass ? It seems to be lacking since i ran with mic above sofa back to see rear surrounds, does it work best with just mic positions 7 & 8 a few inches higher and 1-6 at ear level ?
post #75757 of 75758 Unread Today, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 165
I think the biggest effect you'll see regarding that will be adjusting the subwoofer distance (in the setup menu) and/or its location.
post #75758 of 75758 Unread Today, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebidou81 View Post
Im having issues with Audyssey xt32 and bass response, is there any mic positions that would give tighter bass ? It seems to be lacking since i ran with mic above sofa back to see rear surrounds, does it work best with just mic positions 7 & 8 a few inches higher and 1-6 at ear level ?

I think Soulburner's right about bass response not being affected as much by mic. height. Nevertheless, I would try to keep the mic. height at ear level for all but 2 or 3 positions. I suppose it's possible that you are in a null. Is this a new problem that just occurred from your last calibration? If it is, changing your mic. pattern could work. Try it with the mic. height at ear level for all but 2 or 3. You can also try using a tighter (smaller) pattern. Have you done a sub crawl to test the relationship of your sub to your MLP?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Receivers Amplifiers , Kef Kht1005 2se 5 1 Subwoofer Satellite System With C4 Subwoofer Gloss White , 5 6 7 1 7 2 Or 8 1 8 2 One Or Two Subwoofer Compatible 16 Banana Post 2 Rca Speaker Wall Plate For H
Gear in this thread - Kht1005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page