"Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779) - Page 2529 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #75841 of 75853 Old 06-01-2015, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2625 Post(s)
Liked: 1291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
I have an Audyssey / room correction question. Why doesn't the system measure the room again after the filters are created to check its results? We all know that it doesn't always get it right for various reasons and rooms can be unpredictable. Accuracy could be improved if the system could compare the results to its targets, and make further fine adjustments if necessary.
Pretty simple answer, if you think about it. It would be impossible to place the microphone back in exactly the same spots that the measurements were taken. Since results can vary significantly, depending on where the mic is placed, they would not be valid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #75842 of 75853 Old 06-01-2015, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 104
"...the Level Calibration for your subwoofer will be within a range from about -3.0dB to +3.0dB..."
Should I aim for 0db? Is 0 db the perfect value?

Also, I havemy speakers very closeto the rerar wall and tv. Should I separate the speakes from the wall and tv at least 10 cm? Last time I ran audissey it seleced 40hz crossover, while my speakers are rated for 60hz - 80hz effective-.
post #75843 of 75853 Old 06-01-2015, 10:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
Pretty simple answer, if you think about it. It would be impossible to place the microphone back in exactly the same spots that the measurements were taken. Since results can vary significantly, depending on where the mic is placed, they would not be valid.
That is a good point.
post #75844 of 75853 Old Yesterday, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
If you don't have a subwoofer there is no need for crossovers in the AVR's bass management. And no, it won't affect Audyssey.
Please allow me to make the bolded part more clear. In a system without a subwoofer there is no way to set a crossover. There is nowhere to re-direct bass. All speakers will default to Large.

Hope this helps a bit.

Last edited by mogorf; Yesterday at 12:33 AM. Reason: typo
post #75845 of 75853 Old Yesterday, 01:02 AM

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 7
No, my fronts are large, the center is small but can be set to large. Audyseey defaulted it to small 40hz. Im wondering if this is optimal. Ive toggled between 40-80 hz all night and cant notice any change for the life of me.
post #75846 of 75853 Old Yesterday, 01:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Federo5 View Post
No, my fronts are large, the center is small but can be set to large. Audyseey defaulted it to small 40hz. Im wondering if this is optimal. Ive toggled between 40-80 hz all night and cant notice any change for the life of me.
You are right, I just looked up your Marantz 7008 and the Manual says:

"For speakers set to “Small”, low frequency content below the crossover
frequency is attenuated to the speakers and the low bass content is then
re-delivered to the subwoofer, or the front (L/R) speakers if they have been
set to Large."

The reason you don't notice any change is that there is probably no real contents in the Center channel below the selected crossover point, even if it is set to 80 Hz.Second reason, with contents below 80 Hz our ears loose the ability of sound localization.

Any plan to get a sub?

Last edited by mogorf; Yesterday at 01:20 AM.
post #75847 of 75853 Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1734 Post(s)
Liked: 1946
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning5 View Post
"...the Level Calibration for your subwoofer will be within a range from about -3.0dB to +3.0dB..."
Should I aim for 0db? Is 0 db the perfect value?
Don't overthink it -- there is nothing magical about a 0 value vs. -2 or whatever.

If you run your system LOUD then you want to be careful about positive values as there is the potential for signal clipping, so most folks with serious setups shoot for a negative value, far enough negative to leave some room to boost and still say negative. For example, shoot for -8 to -10 range, so if you want to goose the subs 3-5dB you are still well negative.

But for most people who don't approach movie reference level volumes that's a non issue and you should just not spend any time worrying about it.
Morning5 likes this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #75848 of 75853 Old Yesterday, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Since you have no sub, I presume if your menu offered "Sub YES or NO," you selected "NO," right? If you clicked on "NO," I don't see how Audyssey could have defaulted to "Small" -- where is the deepest bass in the center channel supposed to go? Out into the ether? EDIT: now that Feri has posted the excerpt from your manual, I guess the AVR redirects that bass to the front L & R, if they are set to "Large," and the center is set to "Small," and there is no sub. I assume that is bass management bass -- where does the LFE go with the configuration you have? It's amazing how much I don't know, even though I've been doing this for years!

Maybe you checked "YES" in order to trick the AVR into allowing you to use crossovers to keep low frequency sound out of your speakers (especially the center), because you don't think your speakers can take it? If Audyssey measured your center as having -3 dB at 40 Hz, that is pretty low for most centers, so congratulations on having a good center. But it might distort badly or be harmed if it gets high intensity signals at 15 or 20 Hz. I don't remember what kind of speakers you have.

With much source material, this might not be an issue. But if you play Pacific Rim, Star Trek Into Darkness, or The Grey, watch out! If you are going to play movies a lot (as opposed to CDs) you really should have a sub.

Last edited by garygarrison; Yesterday at 03:58 PM.
post #75849 of 75853 Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1734 Post(s)
Liked: 1946
Quote:
Originally Posted by garygarrison View Post
Since you have no sub, I presume if your menu offered "Sub YES or NO," you selected "NO," right? If you clicked on "NO," I don't see how Audyssey could have defaulted to "Small" -- where is the deepest bass in the center channel supposed to go? Out into the ether?
If you have no sub you can't set the FR/FL mains to "Small", but you CAN do so with any other speaker. Without a sub bass management is redirected to the FR/FL mains.
Alan P and Federo5 like this.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #75850 of 75853 Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post
Please allow me to make the bolded part more clear. In a system without a subwoofer there is no way to set a crossover. There is nowhere to re-direct bass. All speakers will default to Large.

Hope this helps a bit.
You can lie and say you have a sub, but I get what you mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post
You are right, I just looked up your Marantz 7008 and the Manual says:

"For speakers set to “Small”, low frequency content below the crossover
frequency is attenuated to the speakers and the low bass content is then
re-delivered to the subwoofer, or the front (L/R) speakers if they have been
set to Large."

The reason you don't notice any change is that there is probably no real contents in the Center channel below the selected crossover point, even if it is set to 80 Hz.Second reason, with contents below 80 Hz our ears loose the ability of sound localization.

Any plan to get a sub?

That thought did occur to me, but I hadn't heard of it before so I didn't want to sound silly by suggesting it. That is a cool feature, and I'd probably leave it that way since your L/R are probably more positionable than the center with regard to distance from the walls. You have more flexibility.

Can your center really do 40Hz?

Last edited by Soulburner; Yesterday at 04:28 PM.
post #75851 of 75853 Old Yesterday, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygarrison View Post
Since you have no sub, I presume if your menu offered "Sub YES or NO," you selected "NO," right? If you clicked on "NO," I don't see how Audyssey could have defaulted to "Small" -- where is the deepest bass in the center channel supposed to go? Out into the ether? EDIT: now that Feri has posted the excerpt from your manual, I guess the AVR redirects that bass to the front L & R, if they are set to "Large," and the center is set to "Small," and there is no sub. I assume that is bass management bass -- where does the LFE go with the configuration you have? It's amazing how much I don't know, even though I've been doing this for years!

Maybe you checked "YES" in order to trick the AVR into allowing you to use crossovers to keep low frequency sound out of your speakers (especially the center), because you don't think your speakers can take it? If Audyssey measured your center as having -3 dB at 40 Hz, that is pretty low for most centers, so congratulations on having a good center. But it might distort badly or be harmed if it gets high intensity signals at 15 or 20 Hz. I don't remember what kind of speakers you have.

With much source material, this might not be an issue. But if you play Pacific Rim, Star Trek Into Darkness, or The Grey, watch out! If you are going to play movies a lot (as opposed to CDs) you really should have a sub.
Could of sworn i picked no sub. I just followed the prompts. Picked skip for sub during set up and it detected no sub. I have klipsch RF82II and rc62II. . I dont want to mess up my speakers and i already had a sub, too uch for my area. So should i just keep the center small and bump from 40-80 or .. I'm raw when it comes to this
post #75852 of 75853 Old Yesterday, 10:28 PM

Quote:
You can lie and say you have a sub, but I get what you mean.

That thought did occur to me, but I hadn't heard of it before so I didn't want to sound silly by suggesting it. That is a cool feature, and I'd probably leave it that way since your L/R are probably more positionable than the center with regard to distance from the walls. You have more flexibility.

Can your center really do 40Hz?
I'm not an audiophile I don't know if it can. Its the klipschRc62II. Right now fronts are large and its small 40hz. I want to minimize the potential chance for blowing out fronts. I dont turn up too loud and the bass from these is good. I utalize the bass reduction feature also. Still not sure to make the center large or leave small and leave it at 40. I dont need anymore bass. I want to minimize potential for overuse while maximizing sound. I switched the center too large and any setting I pick, from large center to small center 40 or 80 I dont notice any diff from it.
post #75853 of 75853 Old Today, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
... I utalize the bass reduction feature also ...
What is the bass reduction feature?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Receivers Amplifiers , Kef Kht1005 2se 5 1 Subwoofer Satellite System With C4 Subwoofer Gloss White , 5 6 7 1 7 2 Or 8 1 8 2 One Or Two Subwoofer Compatible 16 Banana Post 2 Rca Speaker Wall Plate For H
Gear in this thread - Kht1005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page