"Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779) - Page 2543 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #76261 of 76285 Old 06-23-2015, 08:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4520 Post(s)
Liked: 3359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosebox View Post
Yes, I literally only read d)3. for some reason, even though I read the table of contents. I admit my mistake! Please have mercy, I ask for forgiveness from the Audyssey Gods!
LOL. No need to beg for mercy ... just wanted to be sure you were good to go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #76262 of 76285 Old 06-24-2015, 10:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I am seriously considering getting the "audyssey installer pro kit" for my soon arriving Marantz AV8802
However, I do not seem to be able to locate any place to get one (no luck searching this tread).
If anyone knows where to get this kit or has a used one they are considering selling, please p.m. me

Thanks
post #76263 of 76285 Old 06-24-2015, 10:53 AM

I am seriously considering getting the "audyssey installer pro kit" for my soon arriving Marantz AV8802
However, I do not seem to be able to locate any place to get one (no luck searching this tread).
If anyone knows where to get this kit or has a used one they are considering selling, please p.m. me

Thanks
post #76264 of 76285 Old 06-24-2015, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked: 606
"Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionyz View Post

Thanks

I know @kbarnes701 used to have it and switched to Dirac. Might see if he wants to let it go.

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still [emoji107]
post #76265 of 76285 Old 06-24-2015, 11:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4520 Post(s)
Liked: 3359
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambesolman View Post
I know @kbarnes701 used to have it and switched to Dirac. Might see if he wants to let it go.

Sent using Tapatalk since the mobile version is still [emoji107]
I do still have mine but the carriage to the US would be quite costly I'd think, making it more or less as much as new kit.

If @Dionyz sends an email to scott@techht.com (or his AVS user name is getgray if a PM is easier), Scott will sort it out for him as he is a distributor of the Pro Kit. Tell him Keith sent you and he will give you a good deal
post #76266 of 76285 Old 06-24-2015, 12:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East, dts:x Films: Under the Skin, 3D, Birdman, X_Machina, The Zero Theorem, Interstellar
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 4902 Post(s)
Liked: 2026
...Or he can go in the Classifieds section of the forums.
post #76267 of 76285 Old 06-24-2015, 04:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionyz View Post

Thanks
Info on where to buy, is in the Audyssey Pro Installer kit thread FAQ.

The Audyssey Pro Installer Kit Thread (FAQ in post #1)

Or you can purchase from AVS member "GetGray", through TechHt. Contact at scott@techht
post #76268 of 76285 Old 06-24-2015, 05:14 PM

Thanks kbarnes701 & Johnia

NorthSky - really ??? That is the first place I looked, however, there were no sellers in the last 5 months.
post #76269 of 76285 Old 06-24-2015, 07:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East, dts:x Films: Under the Skin, 3D, Birdman, X_Machina, The Zero Theorem, Interstellar
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 4902 Post(s)
Liked: 2026
Did you also check eBay? ;-)

Last edited by NorthSky; 06-25-2015 at 07:45 PM. Reason: ;-)
post #76270 of 76285 Old 06-25-2015, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Subwoofer settings for Audyssey set up

Hi, I have an old Energy EPS-12 sub with 3 dials:

#1 . Low frequency Equalization
#2 . subwoofer level
#3 . subwoofer roll off frequency

I understand that the level should be set midway at 12 o'clock and possibly the roll off frequency at 150? Not absolutely positive on that one.
Can anyone tell me what the #1 and # 3 dials should be set at to run Audyssey setup? I couldn't find any reference to a low frequency equalization setting in any posts.
Thanks so much
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sub.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	795370  
post #76271 of 76285 Old 06-25-2015, 05:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1823 Post(s)
Liked: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachongo View Post
Hi, I have an old Energy EPS-12 sub with 3 dials:

#1 . Low frequency Equalization
#2 . subwoofer level
#3 . subwoofer roll off frequency

I understand that the level should be set midway at 12 o'clock and possibly the roll off frequency at 150? Not absolutely positive on that one.
Can anyone tell me what the #1 and # 3 dials should be set at to run Audyssey setup? I couldn't find any reference to a low frequency equalization setting in any posts.
Thanks so much
Turn the "roll-off frequency" knob all the way up to get it out of the way

The level, I would actually start at around 1/3 instead of 1/2, but that's something you have to play with (just make sure you don't get maxed out at -12dB after Audyssey)

The "equalization" knob (as the little picture next to the knob indicates) is a mid-bass boost, basically sacrificing flat response and low frequency extension for more "slam" with a bump in the mid bass. However, Audyssey attempts to EQ your subwoofer FLAT, so if you add a bump in the mid-bass, Audyssey MultEQ will waste resources trying to flatten the bump out. In other words, set that knob to the minimum (0) setting so the response is as flat as possible. Then, AFTER calibration, you can play with that knob if you want to get a little more oomph with explosions in movies and stuff.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #76272 of 76285 Old 06-25-2015, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Turn the "roll-off frequency" knob all the way up to get it out of the way

The level, I would actually start at around 1/3 instead of 1/2, but that's something you have to play with (just make sure you don't get maxed out at -12dB after Audyssey)

The "equalization" knob (as the little picture next to the knob indicates) is a mid-bass boost, basically sacrificing flat response and low frequency extension for more "slam" with a bump in the mid bass. However, Audyssey attempts to EQ your subwoofer FLAT, so if you add a bump in the mid-bass, Audyssey MultEQ will waste resources trying to flatten the bump out. In other words, set that knob to the minimum (0) setting so the response is as flat as possible. Then, AFTER calibration, you can play with that knob if you want to get a little more oomph with explosions in movies and stuff.
Fantastic, thank you so much! I just saw this post as I got off of batpigworld :-). That is an incredible site, a huge help and an entertaining read! Thanks again.
post #76273 of 76285 Old 06-30-2015, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Hi all,

I have a quick question concerning initial sub levels prior to Audyssey calibration. I thought I had a handle on it, but now I'm not so sure. My understanding is that, regardless of the initial sub SPL level, Audyssey would reset it to where it wanted anyway, so what is the importance of the 75dB recommendation? Would the final AVR setting vary based on the initial sub level? What about the sats (which should be balanced relative to the sub)?

In my case, I completely bypassed the sub level check prior to the first Audyssey sweep, and simply fiddled until I maximized the sub gain where it didn't completely bury the AVR needle at -12, and went from there. The final AVR setting was -10.5, which I found was way too low. I had to bump it to -6 just to get flat with the sats, and then a further 3dB to add some "spice." Now I am wondering if the results would be different if I had first set the subs to 75dB at the MLP.

What am I completely missing here? Thanks!

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

post #76274 of 76285 Old 06-30-2015, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader424242 View Post
The final AVR setting was -10.5, which I found was way too low. I had to bump it to -6 just to get flat with the sats
The final setting of -10.5 should be flat with the sats. That's the purpose of Audyssey setup.
post #76275 of 76285 Old 06-30-2015, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
The final setting of -10.5 should be flat with the sats. That's the purpose of Audyssey setup.
Using both a Rat Shack and Galaxy 140 SPL meter, I had to bump it nearly 5dB to get it flat (using Disney WOW, and the fact that all tones are recorded at -20dbSF). In other words, running 3dB hot right now equates to a 75dB/85dB SPL reading (allowing for a 3dB discrepancy in the Rat Shack meter).

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

post #76276 of 76285 Old 06-30-2015, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylinestar View Post
Audyssey can be pretty good at producing flat response -- not ruler flat, but smooth enough with speakers & rooms that don't have big problems.

But, it seems that a fair number of people don't like flat sound. Many people reporting here, myself included, turn up their subs several dB after running Audyssey. Also, didn't the Harmon research indicate that flat didn't sound subjectively "flat" to their test listeners? In any case, the preferred curve seems to be one that is somewhat elevated in the bass, getting lower smoothly until it gets to the top. I don't remember how much higher this curve would be at the bottom than at the top. Wasn't it something like 7 or 8 dB, or more?

Another factor is that many recordings (especially CDs, as opposed to SACDs, Blu-ray, vinyl, etc.) are strident at the top. J. Gordon Holt wrote an old article in Stereophile addressing this. It was titled "Down with Flat!"

The Rat Shack meter isn't very accurate. It's O.K. for overall SPL, but not for frequency response. There have been many compensation schemes published over the years to correct for inaccurate Rat Shack Meter readings, but these charts don't agree with one another. One possible explanation is that, as far as frequency response is concerned, the meters vary a gread deal (i.e., they are low in reliability or precision, as well as the aforementioned inaccuracy). I really don't know the reason(s), but I do know I have two of these meters, and neither one produces a curve that resembles a MLP curve taken with REW. The latter is smoother than the Rat Shack result, both before and after running Audyssey.
Alan P likes this.

Last edited by garygarrison; 06-30-2015 at 10:54 PM.
post #76277 of 76285 Old 07-01-2015, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
OK, total Audyssey newbie here. I currently have a Marantz SR6004 with the AudysseyEQ. It has been giving me several problems lately, so I want to pick up a refurb from A4L, and have been looking at the Marantz 5008, Yamaha RX-A1000 and the Denon AVR-X3000. I know the 5008 and X3000 have the slightly newer version, the XT and the Yamaha uses their own version. My question is, how big of a difference will this make if I'm only using a 3.1 setup? One thing to consider is that I have Klipsch RF5's up front. The left one is perpendicular to the end of a couch, which sits about 18" in front of the speaker (tweeter and top woofer clearly seen from seating position, bottom woofer concealed behind the couch) and the right speaker is perpendicular to a large leather chair that is about a meter away (Tweeter and top woofer visible, but barely). Tweeters of both speakers are at perfect ear level. So basically the furniture is in a U shape with the speakers at the top points of the U, main seating position at the middle/bottom of the U. The sub sits just inside the top left point, clear view of it from the main seating position. Will the Audyssey XT be better at correction in this kind of situation than the original EQ? What about Yamaha's YPAO? Does the Odyssey even matter since I'm only using a 3.1, or will it definitely matter because of the furniture placement?
post #76278 of 76285 Old 07-01-2015, 09:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1823 Post(s)
Liked: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01svtL View Post
OK, total Audyssey newbie here. I currently have a Marantz SR6004 with the AudysseyEQ. It has been giving me several problems lately, so I want to pick up a refurb from A4L, and have been looking at the Marantz 5008, Yamaha RX-A1000 and the Denon AVR-X3000. I know the 5008 and X3000 have the slightly newer version, the XT and the Yamaha uses their own version. My question is, how big of a difference will this make if I'm only using a 3.1 setup? One thing to consider is that I have Klipsch RF5's up front. The left one is perpendicular to the end of a couch, which sits about 18" in front of the speaker (tweeter and top woofer clearly seen from seating position, bottom woofer concealed behind the couch) and the right speaker is perpendicular to a large leather chair that is about a meter away (Tweeter and top woofer visible, but barely). Tweeters of both speakers are at perfect ear level. So basically the furniture is in a U shape with the speakers at the top points of the U, main seating position at the middle/bottom of the U. The sub sits just inside the top left point, clear view of it from the main seating position. Will the Audyssey XT be better at correction in this kind of situation than the original EQ? What about Yamaha's YPAO? Does the Odyssey even matter since I'm only using a 3.1, or will it definitely matter because of the furniture placement?
Last question first -- it doesn't matter how many speakers you have, they still interact with the room acoustics, so room EQ is going to help. And with a funky setup, I would think room EQ is MORE important to correct for the compromised layout. The more "ideal" your speaker layout and room acoustics get, the less work room EQ has to do to fix problems.

The difference between MultEQ and XT is there but it's subtle. There is no improvement in subwoofer correction, but there is a significant increase in satellite filter resolution so there is more ability to correct the other speakers' response. You should experience a subtle increase in "blend" between the speakers and more coherence / smoother integration, but it's probably not going to blow you away relative to basic MultEQ. The biggest jump would be if you could go all the way to XT32, but that's a few hundred more on the refurb market (Denon X4000, 4520CI, or Marantz 7008).

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #76279 of 76285 Old 07-01-2015, 10:18 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post
Last question first -- it doesn't matter how many speakers you have, they still interact with the room acoustics, so room EQ is going to help. And with a funky setup, I would think room EQ is MORE important to correct for the compromised layout. The more "ideal" your speaker layout and room acoustics get, the less work room EQ has to do to fix problems.

The difference between MultEQ and XT is there but it's subtle. There is no improvement in subwoofer correction, but there is a significant increase in satellite filter resolution so there is more ability to correct the other speakers' response. You should experience a subtle increase in "blend" between the speakers and more coherence / smoother integration, but it's probably not going to blow you away relative to basic MultEQ. The biggest jump would be if you could go all the way to XT32, but that's a few hundred more on the refurb market (Denon X4000, 4520CI, or Marantz 7008).
That's kinda what I was thinking. Thanks for the response! Yea really $400 is the top end for me right now, and the only reason I am considering the 5008 or 6006 at $429 is they both come with a 3 year warranty right now on A4L - which after all the problems I've had with my 6004 is a huge selling point to me.

So I care more about audio than I do the extras like networking etc. I like the sound of the Marantz paired to the RF's. I hear the newer Yamaha Aventage AVR's are more musical and less bright than the older RX-V Yamahas. It's pretty rare we sit and listen to music, but it happens. We are more likely to play music while cooking, working in the house or entertaining guests etc. At that point, I would think Audyssey would be less important and actual audio quality would be more (like Onkyo's are probably not a good match with the RF's horn tweeters, as weren't the older RX-V Yamaha's). Still, while watching movies, I guess it would help to have the room correction for all the imperfections between the speakers and seating position.
post #76280 of 76285 Old Yesterday, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 475
Quote:
That's kinda what I was thinking. Thanks for the response! Yea really $400 is the top end for me right now, and the only reason I am considering the 5008 or 6006 at $429 is they both come with a 3 year warranty right now on A4L - which after all the problems I've had with my 6004 is a huge selling point to me.
If $400 is your comfort zone and you don't need all the latest extras, don't overlook the Denon AVR-3311 at A4L. It's the X4000's granddad and pretty solid older unit with MultEQ XT.

Quote:
So I care more about audio than I do the extras like networking etc. I like the sound of the Marantz paired to the RF's. I hear the newer Yamaha Aventage AVR's are more musical and less bright than the older RX-V Yamahas. It's pretty rare we sit and listen to music, but it happens. We are more likely to play music while cooking, working in the house or entertaining guests etc. At that point, I would think Audyssey would be less important and actual audio quality would be more (like Onkyo's are probably not a good match with the RF's horn tweeters, as weren't the older RX-V Yamaha's). Still, while watching movies, I guess it would help to have the room correction for all the imperfections between the speakers and seating position.
I wouldn't give any credence at all to others' vague subjective descriptors of what various AVR brands supposedly "are" (i.e. bright, musical etc.); or trying to dovetail those descriptors with those of how your speakers subjectively sound (matching/pairing). This sort of stuff just adds a layer of contrived complexity that's simply unnecessary when you consider that any minuscule measured differences between AVR's is many orders of magnitude below what the impact of the room and position of the speakers have on the sound you hear.

Just look for the connectivity you need, an adequate amount of rated power for your speaker's sensitivity and get yourself as far up the Audyssey "food chain" as your budget will reasonably allow.

Last edited by GIEGAR; Yesterday at 04:59 AM.
post #76281 of 76285 Unread Today, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 104
If one is running 5db below reference, when DEQ is engaged how many dbs does it bump up the subs by?
Has anyone ever worked this out?

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild
post #76282 of 76285 Unread Today, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 580 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
If one is running 5db below reference, when DEQ is engaged how many dbs does it bump up the subs by?
Hi Murray,

DEQ will basically follow the equal loudness curves once you run your system below 0 dB reference level that characterises the way our human ears react to sound pressure levels vs. frequency.

It is not a simple "bump up" of the sub by "so and so" dBs, but a frequency dependent raise of levels. The lower the frequency the higher the "bump" (as you can see on the equal loudness curves).

Another aspect of DEQ that needs to be taken into consideration is that any "bump" is done with regards to playback level in real time. With an MV set to anywhere below 0 dB reference level DEQ will do a two-tier compensation. 1st it will look at the MV setting and adjust accordingly, and then secondly it will look into the actual loud or soft parts of the contents of the program material as it is being played. So, a second loudness compensation is done "on-the-fly" in real time. This is so apparent one would only notice when taken away.

All this done in order to restore percieved flat loudness.

Hope this helps to understand the basics of how DEQ works.

Last edited by mogorf; Today at 03:51 PM. Reason: typo
post #76283 of 76285 Unread Today, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2757 Post(s)
Liked: 1399
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
You have REW, Murray. Using the REW signal generator, output a signal at various frequencies and various output levels. Toggle DEQ off and on, and read the level using REW's SPL meter. Log the results, come back here, and share the results with everyone. Looking forward to hearing from you! Keith may even put you in the FAQ.
post #76284 of 76285 Unread Today, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 494 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
You have REW, Murray. Using the REW signal generator, output a signal at various frequencies and various output levels. Toggle DEQ off and on, and read the level using REW's SPL meter. Log the results, come back here, and share the results with everyone. Looking forward to hearing from you! Keith may even put you in the FAQ.
Ha! that's funny....

Mogorf has answered how it actually works, that's all I really wanted to know.
mogorf likes this.

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild
post #76285 of 76285 Unread Today, 04:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 86
A question along the same lines as the recent discussions. If one has DEQ set to "on", and the volume is turned up to the exact reference offset chosen (0, 5, 10, 15) , DEQ is supposed to do nothing. Because it is set to "on", is it in the signal path doing nothing, or is it disengaged from the path because the volume has attained the chosen reference offset?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Receivers Amplifiers , Kef Kht1005 2se 5 1 Subwoofer Satellite System With C4 Subwoofer Gloss White , 5 6 7 1 7 2 Or 8 1 8 2 One Or Two Subwoofer Compatible 16 Banana Post 2 Rca Speaker Wall Plate For H
Gear in this thread - Kht1005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page