"Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779) - Page 2544 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #76291 of 76300 Old Yesterday, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by garygarrison View Post
Sounds like a good plan to me.

I use Audyssey Flat for most movies, with the Bass and Treble Controls set to simulate the Harmon curve, or with the Treble Control set for flat, with no DEQ, with the main volume control set at about 5 dB below Reference, depending on the movie, generally using dialog SPL (by ear) as an indicator.

For music discs it's a crap shoot. I start at Audyssey Flat, with Bass @ +6, then vary the balance by ear, until it sounds both good and fairly real.
Sounds like we have a similar approach. Interesting that you also listen at about 5db below reference for your movies. I find that to be the sweet spot also..... any louder and it's blowing me out of the room.............. and I like loud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #76292 of 76300 Old Yesterday, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by garygarrison View Post
Sounds like a good plan to me.

I use Audyssey Flat for most movies, with the Bass and Treble Controls set to simulate the Harmon curve, or with the Treble Control set for flat, with no DEQ, with the main volume control set at about 5 dB below Reference, depending on the movie, generally using dialog SPL (by ear) as an indicator.

For music discs it's a crap shoot. I start at Audyssey Flat, with Bass @ +6, then vary the balance by ear, until it sounds both good and fairly real.

Gary this sounds like a good idea using flat and the tone controls if you like it, Ive done the same in the past but:
Using flat you don't get the top end roll off like you do on reference.Using the tone controls to adjust treble wont give it to you either for the roll off of the top end as it covers way more than just that end.

Mind you you are good to go if you don't find you need the top end roll off with your speakers... I have horns so do need the roll off, hence stick to Ref for movies.

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild
post #76293 of 76300 Old Today, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
hello guys i just did my first calibration in my denon avr 2100w i have one problem!when i check the results my speakers are set to large and i cant change them to small when i click it and then go back the are large again
post #76294 of 76300 Old Today, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1824 Post(s)
Liked: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by eladrion View Post
hello guys i just did my first calibration in my denon avr 2100w i have one problem!when i check the results my speakers are set to large and i cant change them to small when i click it and then go back the are large again
The Audyssey menu just shows a report card of what it measured. Go to the Manual speaker setup menu where the active settings are.
post #76295 of 76300 Old Today, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
Gary this sounds like a good idea using flat and the tone controls if you like it, Ive done the same in the past but:
Using flat you don't get the top end roll off like you do on reference.Using the tone controls to adjust treble wont give it to you either for the roll off of the top end as it covers way more than just that end.

Mind you you are good to go if you don't find you need the top end roll off with your speakers... I have horns so do need the roll off, hence stick to Ref for movies.

We are all so different in what works best for our systems. Flat with the tone controls works a charm for my system, because the tone controls only affect my front speakers, which are the ones that need it. The other speakers in my system sound perfect with Flat, whereas Reference would flatten the top end on all my speakers. It's a quite audible difference for me with music.

DEQ, on the other hand is much more program driven for me. I don't like to listen quite as loud as some of the other people who have commented. -15 is about as loud as I like to go. DEQ doesn't help me much with sporting events, for instance. Too much crowd noise can actually drown out the announcers, although maybe that's not always a bad thing. But with action movies, and something like Game of Thrones, I really enjoy the bass boost, and the surround boost. I wouldn't want the surround boost at all for music, but I like it a lot for some of the more dynamic viewing. Lot's of room for individual preferences in a modern Audyssey-enabled AVR.
post #76296 of 76300 Unread Today, 01:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East, dts:x Films: Under the Skin, 3D, Birdman, X_Machina, The Zero Theorem, Interstellar
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 4907 Post(s)
Liked: 2028
Here's some' interesting about Audyssey Auto EQ system and its implementation with some audio manufacturers:

- In products from Denon/Marantz, NAD, Onkyo/Integra of the past, there is the option to use a manual EQ...the graphic type.
- Yamaha and Pioneer products don't have Audyssey, they have their own proprietary EQ systems, but you can manually adjust them with the parametric EQ.
- If you want say the Harman/Kardon reference curve, then you have the best closer chance to get it with a parametric EQ.

Are those products using Audyssey not having enough processing power to include a parametric EQ? ...Well, Onkyo/Integra abandonned Audyssey all together for a less demanding processing power EQ system with AccuEQ and retains a manual graphic EQ. ...All together they saved money now by having less DSP power (one less chip). ...NAD, I'm not sure...I just don't follow them close anymore. ...Denon/Marantz added more DSP power (one added chip) while retaining Audyssey Auto EQ system, but also retaining their manual graphic EQ.

It's like a compromise that every audio manufacturer has to make.

In the higher audio end, you have less compromises, but also less money in the banking system.

And today, you have new ball games like Dirac Live, but also more complicated for the people who normally purchase an AV receiver...the majority simply doesn't want to take the time to master it...they want a simple auto EQ system like AccuEQ, for example. ...Quick and easy.

And of course some inexpensive pre/pros and multichannel power amps from Emotiva, as an alternative, ...parametric EQ, and now with integrated Dirac Live.

There are no "perfect" audio product for all people, but only the compromises we are making/accepting.

Audyssey is the largest thread ever here @ AVS, and the day that Denon/Marantz abandon it all together the thread will remain alive for still few years.

This is only my own personal opinion...some observation. Fell free to share your own.
* If anyone can provide info regarding Audyssey inside the 2015 NAD products, that would be cool, plus their own custom Audyssey curve.
...To see if NAD approximate the "Harmon" reference target curve.

<<♦>> My own prediction: We are going to see products with new Room EQ systems (eg.; Quantum Logic), with that "Harmon" reference target curve in our own own rooms @ home. And Dirac Live has plenty of room to expand.

I remember back in 2004; Audyssey was a baby...today, more than ten years later it has reached a plateau with XT32 and eleven channels of equalization. ...For Audyssey DSX, DTS Neo:X, Dolby Atmos, Auro-3D, and DTS:X. ...Plus all their derivatives...audio processing and up-mixing.

It is also interesting to note that only Yamaha retained Dolby ProLogic IIx and IIz with their new Dolby Atmos AV receivers, in addition to Dolby Surround.
It will be interesting to see about DTS Neo:X in Denon/Marantz products soon. ...Now with DTS Neural:X.

And it's too bad about Audyssey no more improving their EQ system, for example to give the freedom to adjust manually the target curves and save them. ...Like that "Harman" curve for example...one for Music and another for Movies.
Then you can see that Dirac Live and manual parametric EQs are going to replace Audyssey for good @ one point in time...and perhaps nearer than what we think. ...But an Auto EQ system is what sells with the masses...for simplicity; it is in the overall implementation that that it is becoming more important today...with manual flexibility attached to it. ...More DSP chips, and clear instructions. ...Nowadays processing power is like RMS watts; it don't cost that much.

Alright; I've been using Audyssey for about ten years...I won't be using it for the next ten.
RapalloAV likes this.
post #76297 of 76300 Unread Today, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthSky View Post
...Denon/Marantz added more DSP power (one added chip) while retaining Audyssey Auto EQ system, but also retaining their manual graphic EQ.
At least my Marantz pre-pro (AV7005, 2011) does not allow operation with Audyssey and manual graphic EQ engaged at the same time. Maybe newer Marantz models do, in which case, I'm pissed. It's impossible to have the Audyssey indicator light on at the same time as the graphic EQ is being used. A dealer (who was misinformed) thought that a way around this would be to run "base copy" (not "bass copy") to copy the Audyssey derived room correction curve, then use the graphics to fine tune. But "base copy" doesn't really "copy" the Audyssey correction -- it just provides a very crude approximation based on a few octave centers (9?), ignoring most of the hundreds of correction points used by Audyssey. In general, I would expect Audyssey to do a better job than any graphic or parametric equalizer, because of there being hundreds of points, as heard from 8 mic positions, rather than about 36 points, usually with 1 mic position, with a really good equalizer. I concur with the many posters who have observed that Audyssey tends to sound bass-shy, for all the acoustical & psycho-acoustical reasons they have given over the years.

What my Marantz will allow me to do, is use the Bass and Treble controls with Audyssey -- it just won't allow the graphic virtual sliders. I have the Bass control (after Audyssey calibration) anywhere between flat and +6, depending on the program material, and treble often at flat. I also turn up the subwoofer by several dB (after Audyssey), but, with a crossover of 80 Hz, that alone doesn't help much at 100 to 200 Hz where most program material needs it, thus the Bass control.

Last edited by garygarrison; Today at 03:21 PM.
post #76298 of 76300 Unread Today, 04:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East, dts:x Films: Under the Skin, 3D, Birdman, X_Machina, The Zero Theorem, Interstellar
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 4907 Post(s)
Liked: 2028
No no, I didn't say that, ever...please read my post carefully and don't misinterpret anything.

I didn't say that you can use both Audyssey EQ and the manual graphic EQ @ the same time. ...We all know that Audyssey doesn't allow that, and still today. I'm not talking about Pro Audyssey here, but about Audyssey.

Last edited by NorthSky; Today at 04:22 PM.
post #76299 of 76300 Unread Today, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Hi all,

I have a quick question concerning initial sub levels prior to Audyssey calibration. I thought I had a handle on it, but now I'm not so sure. My understanding is that, regardless of the initial sub SPL level, Audyssey would reset it to where it wanted anyway, so what is the importance of the 75dB recommendation? Would the final AVR setting vary based on the initial sub level? What about the sats (which should be balanced relative to the sub)? Thanks!

Peace... Vader

"Ya see, we plan ahead. That way we don't do anything right now. Earl explained it to me." - Valentine McKee

One sub to rumble them all. One sub to shake them. One sub to humble them all. And in the darkness break them....

post #76300 of 76300 Unread Today, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked: 1403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vader424242 View Post
Hi all,

I have a quick question concerning initial sub levels prior to Audyssey calibration. I thought I had a handle on it, but now I'm not so sure. My understanding is that, regardless of the initial sub SPL level, Audyssey would reset it to where it wanted anyway, so what is the importance of the 75dB recommendation? Would the final AVR setting vary based on the initial sub level? What about the sats (which should be balanced relative to the sub)? Thanks!
The typical AVR with Audyssey can adjust channel trims by +12dB to -12DB. If your starting sub level is too high or too low, Audyssey may not have room to make the necessary correction, given the limitations. Also, even if the resulting Audyssey correction is within the +/- 12dB range, if it is close to one limit or the other, then that limits the manual post-calibration adjustments you might want to make to achieve your bass preference.

So, ideally your post-calibration sub trim would be close to zero. However, it is generally accepted that a value of +/- 3 is "close enough" to give you some degrees of freedom to adjust to taste.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Receivers Amplifiers , Kef Kht1005 2se 5 1 Subwoofer Satellite System With C4 Subwoofer Gloss White , 5 6 7 1 7 2 Or 8 1 8 2 One Or Two Subwoofer Compatible 16 Banana Post 2 Rca Speaker Wall Plate For H
Gear in this thread - Kht1005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page