"Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779) - Page 2544 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #76291 of 76296 Old Yesterday, 08:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
I also assumed that when turned on, even with the volume at reference level and DEQ applying nothing to the curve, it is still in the signal path. There is a method to my madness here, albeit a slightly lazy one. I use my OPPO Blu ray player for movies as well as 2 channel music listening. I prefer Audyssey Reference for movies but Audyssey Flat, with bass and treble controls on and adjusted to simulate the Harman curve for music. I use the smart select buttons to remember my settings for movies and one for my settings for music. The problem with this is that the tone controls are global, and I don't want the tone settings I use for music applied to Audyssey Reference in the movie settings................ so I turned on DEQ for the movie/Reference settings.......... DEQ turns off the tone controls....... you can't have both on together. That solved my issue, I can one button my two smart selects for instant settings for movies and music . The trade off is DEQ is now in the loop for movies, but since I listen 99% of the time at a volume setting of -5, I set the reference offset to 5 so DEQ is doing nothing to the sound............ other than most likely being in the signal path. The alternative is to remember to go into the settings every time I switch between a movie and music and turn the tone controls on and off. Since I can tell little difference with movies when DEQ is on or off at reference level, I chose to leave it on and solve the need to turn the tone on and off.
Sounds like a good plan to me.

I use Audyssey Flat for most movies, with the Bass and Treble Controls set to simulate the Harmon curve, or with the Treble Control set for flat, with no DEQ, with the main volume control set at about 5 dB below Reference, depending on the movie, generally using dialog SPL (by ear) as an indicator.

For music discs it's a crap shoot. I start at Audyssey Flat, with Bass @ +6, then vary the balance by ear, until it sounds both good and fairly real.

Last edited by garygarrison; Yesterday at 08:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #76292 of 76296 Old Yesterday, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by garygarrison View Post

I use Audyssey Flat for most movies, with the Bass and Treble Controls set to simulate the Harmon curve, or with the Treble Control set for flat, with no DEQ, with the main volume control set at about 5 dB below Reference, depending on the movie, generally using dialog SPL (by ear) as an indicator.

For music discs it's a crap shoot. I start at Audyssey Flat, with Bass @ +6, then vary the balance by ear, until it sounds both good and fairly real.
Sounds like we have a similar approach. Interesting that you also listen at about 5db below reference for your movies. I find that to be the sweet spot also..... any louder and it's blowing me out of the room.............. and I like loud
post #76293 of 76296 Old Yesterday, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by garygarrison View Post

Gary this sounds like a good idea using flat and the tone controls if you like it, Ive done the same in the past but:
Using flat you don't get the top end roll off like you do on reference.Using the tone controls to adjust treble wont give it to you either for the roll off of the top end as it covers way more than just that end.

Mind you you are good to go if you don't find you need the top end roll off with your speakers... I have horns so do need the roll off, hence stick to Ref for movies.

Murray Thompson
X Owner RapalloAV
CinemascopE Home Cinema Build & 2014 rebuild
post #76294 of 76296 Old Today, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
hello guys i just did my first calibration in my denon avr 2100w i have one problem!when i check the results my speakers are set to large and i cant change them to small when i click it and then go back the are large again
post #76295 of 76296 Unread Today, 10:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1824 Post(s)
Liked: 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by eladrion View Post
hello guys i just did my first calibration in my denon avr 2100w i have one problem!when i check the results my speakers are set to large and i cant change them to small when i click it and then go back the are large again
The Audyssey menu just shows a report card of what it measured. Go to the Manual speaker setup menu where the active settings are.
post #76296 of 76296 Unread Today, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by RapalloAV View Post
Gary this sounds like a good idea using flat and the tone controls if you like it, Ive done the same in the past but:
Using flat you don't get the top end roll off like you do on reference.Using the tone controls to adjust treble wont give it to you either for the roll off of the top end as it covers way more than just that end.

Mind you you are good to go if you don't find you need the top end roll off with your speakers... I have horns so do need the roll off, hence stick to Ref for movies.

We are all so different in what works best for our systems. Flat with the tone controls works a charm for my system, because the tone controls only affect my front speakers, which are the ones that need it. The other speakers in my system sound perfect with Flat, whereas Reference would flatten the top end on all my speakers. It's a quite audible difference for me with music.

DEQ, on the other hand is much more program driven for me. I don't like to listen quite as loud as some of the other people who have commented. -15 is about as loud as I like to go. DEQ doesn't help me much with sporting events, for instance. Too much crowd noise can actually drown out the announcers, although maybe that's not always a bad thing. But with action movies, and something like Game of Thrones, I really enjoy the bass boost, and the surround boost. I wouldn't want the surround boost at all for music, but I like it a lot for some of the more dynamic viewing. Lot's of room for individual preferences in a modern Audyssey-enabled AVR.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Receivers Amplifiers , Kef Kht1005 2se 5 1 Subwoofer Satellite System With C4 Subwoofer Gloss White , 5 6 7 1 7 2 Or 8 1 8 2 One Or Two Subwoofer Compatible 16 Banana Post 2 Rca Speaker Wall Plate For H
Gear in this thread - Kht1005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page