"Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779) - Page 2568 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #77011 of 77012 Unread Today, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhyams View Post
Thanks so much for the answer! This is the kind of info I was looking for.

I only mentioned the music/movie thing because a previous post noted that I wouldn't be getting the LFE channel, and talked about the LPF for LFE, all of which isn't relevant to music.

Thanks again for all your help!
Mark
Glad to help you out!

BTW, there are multi-channel music SACDs out on the market that have an additional LFE channel. This also caught me be surprise! Don't give up so easily on the LFE channel for music. It exists!

For example:

Pink Floyd's: DSOTM,
Product No.: CEMI 5821362 SA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77012 of 77012 Unread Today, 08:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 326 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Quote:
Originally Posted by markhyams View Post
I fully understand all the drawbacks and compromises with my proposed set-up. It is actually for music only, btw.

No one has answered my original question, though. Will the Audyssey auto set-up actually work? With the sub and main speaker on the same channel, receiving the test tone at the same time?

Also btw, my main speakers are B&W CM7s. I think another poster was curious.
Hi Mark,

To add to what Feri said, I'm not sure anyone knows exactly what the result will be as this is a very unconventional use of software that was designed to be used in a particular way. Just guessing, I would expect that time delays, levels, and perhaps crossovers, as well, will be affected, as Feri suggested. I also have no clue how XT-32 would be able to set filters for two speakers wired to the same single speaker connection. So, if you are really determined to do this, I am not sure that there will be a way to take advantage of Audyssey room correction in the process.

The reason I was curious about your main speakers was because I was interested in their low bass performance. From a quick review, it appears that they can go down to about 40Hz, or so. Can you confirm that based on a conventional Audyssey calibration? If you are going to be using Audyssey at all, you will probably need to do multiple calibrations anyway to perfect your set-up, mic. positions, and overall calibration technique. So, I would suggest doing a standard calibration first, just to establish a performance baseline, and to find out where your Denon sets the crossovers for your CM7's. Then if you want to experiment with an unconventional methodology, you will at least have some basis for comparison.

The point I was making before is that if your AVR reports your speakers as Full-Range (Large), or even as Small/40Hz, then you have unlimited configuration options without losing the benefits of XT-32. You could set your crossover at 60Hz, or even at 40Hz, and still have the benefit of both your subs and room correction, as intended, without ever being able to localize the infrequent musical sounds below about 60Hz.

FWIW, I listen to stereo bass every day, as I have six full-range speakers (all with F3 points below 40hz).
I listen to music with a phantom center and no subs, and then reset all speakers to Small, and add back my center and subs for movies. The fact is that low bass sounds of under about 70Hz, for me, are essentially non-directional whether they come from the low fundamentals of a kick drum, or an upright bass, or a piano or organ. The notes just hang suspended in the air, reverberating in the room. Even if you have the exceptional ability to localize bass down to about 60Hz, you can solve that with a 60Hz crossover setting. That is why I am encouraging you to try a conventional approach first, listen to it to see how it sounds, and only then experiment with a completely unconventional approach if you aren't satisfied. I suspect that the difference in sound quality between a properly implemented XT-32 and a hybridized approach will be substantial.

Regards,
Mike
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Receivers Amplifiers , Kef Kht1005 2se 5 1 Subwoofer Satellite System With C4 Subwoofer Gloss White , 5 6 7 1 7 2 Or 8 1 8 2 One Or Two Subwoofer Compatible 16 Banana Post 2 Rca Speaker Wall Plate For H
Gear in this thread - Kht1005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page