"Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779) - Page 2596 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #77851 of 77854 Old Today, 03:11 AM
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Originally Posted by Soulburner View Post
You can't really make that call by looking at graphs. Dynamic EQ is meant to maintain balance of sound (not on a chart, but how human hearing works) at lower volumes. That means to keep things sounding the same at low volume as they did at calibrated volume levels, a bass and treble boost is needed. I'm of the opinion that it does a good job at its primary mission.
At my home and on my equipment dynEQ OFF sounds better than it ON to my ears at least...i know the + and - of it but i am more keen on keeping it off as i really dislike the boost (especially of surrounds)...but if i would have to listen at -25 below reference then i think it would make sense...to each his own i guess

Marantz sr7008 (running 9.2 audyssey DSX, DTS:NEO X), monitor audio bx6,bx center,bx fx (4x),bx1,sub SVS sb13ultra (2x), panasonic 60asw654
Sponsored Links
post #77852 of 77854 Unread Today, 05:56 AM
AVS Special Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Do not let overanalyzing have you miss out on the benefits of DynEQ.
post #77853 of 77854 Unread Today, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member
Quoted: 395 Post(s)
Liked: 220

Your comments about the bass control show that it only impacts the front left and right channels and nothing else. This is typical of many receivers.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk
post #77854 of 77854 Unread Today, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
OK, I was able to take some measurements tonight.

Great stuff, Alan! Thanks for taking the trouble to post all of this. I have a question, and then some comments. First, were you measuring with Audyssey Flat, or Audyssey Reference? The graph you showed, with no DEQ, looked like the Reference Curve to me. I wonder if Audyssey Flat would show the same boosts in exactly the same way?

Looking at the bass boost at -15 MV, it looked to me as if there was about a 9db increase at the lowest frequency. If so, wow! Am I reading that correctly? That is much more than what Jerry measured several years ago (in the RLO section of the FAQ), and I am trying to understand what variables might account for the difference. Of course, I may just be misinterpreting one of the graphs in question.

I know it's reassuring to learn that you aren't crazy, but remember we only have the measured treble boost as empirical proof of that, so it's too soon to reach definitive conclusions based on a single indicator. I don't think I am hearing much at, or above, 13K anymore, so unless the volume were pretty loud, I am not sure how aware I would be of the 3db treble boost at 13Khz. It does seem to slope up gradually. If you can hear that in movies, that's pretty cool. I absolutely hear very subtle differences in music, but not nearly as much so with movies, which is where I am sometimes using DEQ.

With respect to the tone controls, they are unfortunately limited just to the front speakers. Gary and I have discussed our wish to have more user control there, as well. My theory for why most AVR's only implement tone controls for the front two channels, is that every system consists of at least two channels, and some people like yourself, only listen to music in stereo, regardless of how many channels they have for HT. Oh well!

FWIW, I don't really think that measurements demonstrate that we "should" or "shouldn't" like something, which is not something that you were saying, anyway. I don't believe that our preferences need substantiation, or vindication. They just are our preferences. But I love the analytical aspect of this hobby too, and like trying to understand the what and why of some of this. Among other things, I think it really helps to better understand our available options. So, thanks again!

Happy Thanksgiving, everybody!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Audyssey , Receivers Amplifiers , Kef Kht1005 2se 5 1 Subwoofer Satellite System With C4 Subwoofer Gloss White , 5 6 7 1 7 2 Or 8 1 8 2 One Or Two Subwoofer Compatible 16 Banana Post 2 Rca Speaker Wall Plate For H
Gear in this thread - Kht1005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page