"Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779) - Page 2639 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3054Likes

post #79141 of 79156 Old 02-06-2016, 06:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked: 1003
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post
I don't remember that discussion Mike, but from the engineer's side with solid stage devices the heat build-up (aka warming) should have no effect on SQ. Its just a by-product called dissipation a design engineer needs to carefully take care of during circuit design. Propoerly sized heat-sinks and sometimes additional cooling fans come to mind.

But again, I think it would be a kinda miracle if anyone even with "golden ears" could hear a difference from minute one to an hour long (or even more) operation that could be accounted to this issue, only. Same though goes for power supplies, coz there is nothing "inside" that needs to reach "operational" temperate that would result in better performance.

Thanks, Feri. It's possible that I only imagined that discussion taking place on the thread. I'm capable of that. I did read a discussion of that, in reference to Audyssey, somewhere several years ago, and as I said the consensus was, as you and Selden are suggesting, that it wouldn't really make any difference. I do like your idea of warming-up the filters, though, for maximum efficiency.
mogorf and garygarrison like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #79142 of 79156 Old 02-06-2016, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 881 Post(s)
Liked: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Sorry, I have not the slightest idea. One way to find out would be to use a thermometer or other temperature reading device and see how long it takes for the unit to reach a steady temperature. Personally, I've never actually worried about it. My ears are old enough that I don't expect to hear much of a difference.
Let's not forget to specify the MV setting, the type of program material being played, or even a continuous sine wave played for any extended period. And there's the variation of altitude above sea level of our HT rooms, relative humidity, or the inapropriate case when using a non-calibrated thermometer.
galonzo and garygarrison like this.
post #79143 of 79156 Old 02-06-2016, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post
I know. But by giving warmup time, we may or may not gain anything, but will certainly will not lose anything.
So true!
garygarrison likes this.
post #79144 of 79156 Old 02-06-2016, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So true!

If nothing else, Gary and I managed to stimulate some interesting discussion. The next time it gets slow around here, I'm going to tell everybody about the special power cords I'm planning to buy (not).

That will bring the engineers out in droves.
mogorf and garygarrison like this.
post #79145 of 79156 Old 02-06-2016, 06:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
If nothing else, Gary and I managed to stimulate some interesting discussion. The next time it gets slow around here, I'm going to tell everybody about the special power cords I'm planning to buy (not).

That will bring the engineers out in droves.
Power cords also need break-in Mike, so please watch our for your next purchase (or not)!
mthomas47 and garygarrison like this.

Last edited by mogorf; 02-06-2016 at 06:48 PM.
post #79146 of 79156 Old 02-07-2016, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 75
After sitting back and going through quite a bit of the "Audyssey 101" documentation, and playing around a little, I ran another calibration. Making a little forward progress:

My set-up (5.1 speaker configuration):
Monitor Audio Gold GX100 fronts (42Hz - 60kHz, sensitivity = 88dB 1W@1m)
Monitor Audio Gold GXC350 center (40Hz - 60kHz, sensitivity = 90dB 1W@1m)
Monitor Audio GSFX Gold surrounds (60Hz - 43kHz, sensitivity = 86dB 1W@1m)

Parasound A51 amp
JL Audio F110 sub

Speaker Calibration Details:
Distances
Front L (10.2ft)
Front R (10.4ft)
Center (10.0ft)
Subwoofer 1 (14.7ft)
Surround L (6.4ft)
Surround R (7.4ft)

Level
Front L (-10.5dB)
Front R (-11.5dB)
Center (-9.0dB)
Subwoofer 1 (-3.5dB)
Surround L (-11.0dB)
Surround R (-10.0dB)

Crossover
Front (90Hz)
Center (60Hz)
Surround (60Hz)

Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 = ON
Audyssey Dynamic EQ = ON
audiofan1 likes this.

Last edited by WestCoastD; 02-07-2016 at 12:32 AM.
post #79147 of 79156 Old 02-07-2016, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post
After sitting back and going through quite a bit of the "Audyssey 101" documentation, and playing around a little, I ran another calibration. Making a little forward progress:

Level
Front L (-10.5dB)
Front R (-11.5dB)
Center (-9.0dB)
Subwoofer 1 (-3.5dB)
Surround L (-11.0dB)
Surround R (-10.0dB)

Crossover
Front (90Hz)
Center (60Hz)
Surround (60Hz)

Audyssey MultiEQ XT32 = ON
Audyssey Dynamic EQ = ON

That is progress! You got the front crossover to come down a little more, and all of your trim levels are within normal limits now. How do things sound after this latest calibration?
post #79148 of 79156 Old 02-07-2016, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
That is progress! You got the front crossover to come down a little more, and all of your trim levels are within normal limits now. How do things sound after this latest calibration?
initial listening (during an HBO movie, DolbyDigital, cable TV broadcast) is very nice, surprisingly dynamic. But this is only a single random source. Will have to experiment with more of an array of sources (ie. BluRay's, music, etc.,...).

For this calibration sequence I set MLP at my normal original location, but significantly below ear-level (precisely 26in high), purposely. However all other mic positions (mic1 - mic8) were set at ear-level height (approx 47in high for my ears). This was the only way to stay within the preferred trim level limit's (especially for rear/surrounds).
mthomas47 likes this.

Last edited by WestCoastD; 02-07-2016 at 02:32 PM.
post #79149 of 79156 Old 02-07-2016, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
initial listening (during an HBO movie, DolbyDigital, cable TV broadcast) is very nice, surprisingly dynamic. But this is only a single random source. Will have to experiment with more of an array of sources (ie. BluRay's, music, etc.,...).

For this calibration sequence I set MLP at my normal original location, but significantly below ear-level (precisely 26in high), purposely. However all other mic positions (mic1 - mic8) were set at ear-level height (approx 47in high for my ears). This was the only way to stay within the preferred trim level limit's (especially for rear/surrounds).
Hi WestCoastD,

Um, ...I'm not really sure that putting the mic at MLP significantly lower than ear height is the best solution even though you got trim levels within limits. Two reasons come to mind:

1. Out of the 8 mic positions the MLP position will collect data for the Audyssey filter calculation that may not be relevant for the mix.

2. MLP mic setting is a placement from where distances and trims are calculated by MultEQ for ear level listening, but such a low setting may throw off (or maybe not) these measurements.

A couple of pictures of your in-room speaker setup would surely help identify some "best practice" routines in order to get a satisfying calibration.

Just my thoughts!

Last edited by mogorf; 02-07-2016 at 06:17 PM.
post #79150 of 79156 Old 02-07-2016, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
MLP mic setting is a placement from where distances and trims are calculated by MultEQ for ear level listening, but such a low setting may throw off (or maybe not) these measurements
I read this in the Audyssey FAQ. I'm planning to re-calibrate with MLP at ear-level.

However I was determined to experiment with this lower than ear-level MLP mic setting.

My room, combined with speaker placement, plus gain of Parasound A51 amp, pose's quite a challenge landing within trim limits. It's part theater/office. Rear surrounds are mounted on rear wall, up high. Viewing position (or MLP) is crunched right in front of a desk with PC's. Consequently it's a challenge getting within proper levels. MLP proximity to rear surrounds pose a problem
post #79151 of 79156 Old 02-08-2016, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 229
In a last ditch effort to use XT I have been playing with the L/R Bypass setting and am pleasantly surprised with the results. I just ASSumed that XT would "turn off" the processing for the L/R speakers and still use the same filters for the surrounds as it does for the Reference setting, but that doesn't seem to be the case as my surrounds don't sound near as bright in L/R BP mode.

I then did some online learnin' and it seems that XT applies a different filter set to the surrounds in L/R BP mode..... "The average measured response from the front left and right speakers is used as the target curve for the remaining speakers in the system. The subwoofer in this case is equalized to flat".

In my case, XT doesn't go crazy with my Bi-Pole surrounds upper frequency response in L/R BP mode, compared to the Reference mode. I will use the L/R BP setting for a while and see what shakes out................
mthomas47 and garygarrison like this.

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon AVR-X3200W ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Anti-Mode 8033 Cinema ~ Power Sound Audio XV15

Last edited by D Bone; 02-08-2016 at 04:12 PM.
post #79152 of 79156 Old 02-08-2016, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bone View Post
In a last ditch effort to use XT I have been playing with the L/R Bypass setting and am pleasantly surprised with the results. I just ASSumed that XT would "turn off" the processing for the L/R speakers and still use the same filters for the surrounds as it does for the Reference setting, but that doesn't seem to be the case as my surrounds don't sound near as bright in L/R BP mode.

I then did some online learnin' and it seems that XT applies a different filter set to the surrounds in L/R BP mode..... "The average measured response from the front left and right speakers is used as the target curve for the remaining speakers in the system. The subwoofer in this case is equalized to flat".

In my case, XT doesn't go crazy with my Bi-Pole surrounds upper frequency response in L/R BP mode, compared to the Reference mode. I will use the L/R BP setting for a while and see what shakes out................

And the saga continues!
D Bone likes this.
post #79153 of 79156 Old 02-08-2016, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 229
Quote:
And the saga continues!
HA!! No one can say I didn't try
mthomas47 likes this.

Samsung UN60D6420 ~ DirecTV HR-44 ~ Sony S5100 ~ Roku 3 ~ Denon AVR-X3200W ~ HTD Level TWO Towers ~ HTD Level TWO Surrounds ~ Anti-Mode 8033 Cinema ~ Power Sound Audio XV15
post #79154 of 79156 Old Yesterday, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Hi

How to save Audyssey calibration results? I saw it before but I just cannot find it now after going through the FAQ and setup guide few times already. Can somebody point it to me? Thanks.
post #79155 of 79156 Old Yesterday, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1957 Post(s)
Liked: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roudan View Post
Hi

How to save Audyssey calibration results? I saw it before but I just cannot find it now after going through the FAQ and setup guide few times already. Can somebody point it to me? Thanks.
If you want to save the calibration to your computer, that feature is only available if you have a Denon or Marantz receiver or pre/pro. It's not an Audyssey feature. It saves the receiver's entire configuration. The "Save" and "Load" options are at the bottom of the receiver's main Web page. See your owner's manual for details.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #79156 of 79156 Old Today, 06:12 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
My room, combined with speaker placement, plus gain of Parasound A51 amp, pose's quite a challenge landing within trim limits. It's part theater/office. Rear surrounds are mounted on rear wall, up high. Viewing position (or MLP) is crunched right in front of a desk with PC's. Consequently it's a challenge getting within proper levels. MLP proximity to rear surrounds pose a problem
Too much gain?

http://www.amazon.com/Harrison-Labs-.../dp/B0006N41B0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Receivers Amplifiers , Kef Kht1005 2se 5 1 Subwoofer Satellite System With C4 Subwoofer Gloss White , 5 6 7 1 7 2 Or 8 1 8 2 One Or Two Subwoofer Compatible 16 Banana Post 2 Rca Speaker Wall Plate For H