"Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779) - Page 2640 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 3074Likes
post #79171 of 79184 Unread Today, 03:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf View Post
There are test tone discs available on the market, but I wouldn't rush to buy anything before going through some troubleshooting of your system. I'm sure others will also chime in to help you out.

So, this means you have a 2 channel stereo system setup with a subwoofer, right? It is interesting that the Front L and Front R have a 1.5 dB difference depsite the fact that the distances are equal from MLP. I wonder what the reason behind might be? Subwoofer trim looks A-OK.

Try to turn DynEQ "on" while leaving Dyn Vol "off" and listen again. Try not to exceed -20 dB on the Master Volume.

BTW, what program material are you listening to? Is it music? What is the source? CD/DVD player? BR player? or else?
The distances are equal but there is more furniture on the one side of the room then the other so I attributed it to that. No matter how many times I run it there is always a 1.0-1.5 difference between the right and the left speaker. I do not currently have speaker stands waiting for them to come in so the bookshelf speakers are on the floor. I am listening to the cable box Matrix reloaded movie for example its on cable right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #79172 of 79184 Unread Today, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strife21 View Post
The distances are equal but there is more furniture on the one side of the room then the other so I attributed it to that. No matter how many times I run it there is always a 1.0-1.5 difference between the right and the left speaker. I do not currently have speaker stands waiting for them to come in so the bookshelf speakers are on the floor. I am listening to the cable box Matrix reloaded movie for example its on cable right now.
Thanks. It is always important to have line of sight from speaker(s) to MLP, so having the bookshelf speakers on the floor explains your trim variation case. That will be better when you have the stands. No doubt.

As regards the program material on cable, there can be issues beyond our control. Does the cable box allow you to set the output level/volume? If so, how is it set now? Is the cable box hooked-up to the Denon via HDMI?
post #79173 of 79184 Unread Today, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Thanks. It is always important to have line of sight from speaker(s) to MLP, so having the bookshelf speakers on the floor explains your trim variation case. That will be better when you have the stands. No doubt.

As regards the program material on cable, there can be issues beyond our control. Does the cable box allow you to set the output level/volume? If so, how is it set now? Is the cable box hooked-up to the Denon via HDMI?
Hooked up via HDMI now it doesn't let me set the level of the cable box. Maybe that is the issue I will try some bluerays on the PS4 I mean 0db sounds loud and I wouldn't normally listen to it at that level when watching cable but its nothing insane.
post #79174 of 79184 Unread Today, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hooked up via HDMI now it doesn't let me set the level of the cable box. Maybe that is the issue I will try some bluerays on the PS4 I mean 0db sounds loud and I wouldn't normally listen to it at that level when watching cable but its nothing insane.
Good idea to try the PS4. Report back your findings please.
post #79175 of 79184 Unread Today, 04:04 PM

Okay so I got two pink noise mp3's put them on usb stick put into ps4 and played them. with -5.0db on the receiver the spl meter measures 78db. I didn't want to go any louder then -5.0db cause it started to hurt my ears.
post #79176 of 79184 Unread Today, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Okay so I got two pink noise mp3's put them on usb stick put into ps4 and played them. with -5.0db on the receiver the spl meter measures 78db. I didn't want to go any louder then -5.0db cause it started to hurt my ears.
I would caution you with such pink noise mp3's coz you can never know the "real" dBFS level they were recorded at. With the on-board AVR test tones you can always be sure they are recorded at 0 dBFS, so instead of experimenting with "unknown" external tones and risking the damaging of your system, you're better off with the internal tones, IMHO.

Playing them at -30 dB MV setting should yield a 75 dB SPL at your MLP with a tolerance of +/- 2 dB when your system is calibrated with the Audyssey mic bundled with your AVR.

Last edited by mogorf; Today at 04:19 PM.
post #79177 of 79184 Unread Today, 04:22 PM

Quote:
I would caution you with such pink noise mp3's coz you can never know the "real" dBFS level they were recorded at. With the on-board AVR test tones you can always be sure they are recorded at 0 dBFS, so instead of experimenting with "unknown" external tones and risking the damaging of your system, you're better off with the internal tones, IMHO.

Playing them at -30 dB MV setting should yield a 75 dB SPL at your MLP with a tolerance of +/- 2 dB when your system is calibrated with the Audyssey mic bundled with your AVR.
Thats whats concerning me its not reading 75db with the AVR test tones its reading 70db on the SPL meter at the 0db Master Voume

Last edited by Strife21; Today at 04:26 PM.
post #79178 of 79184 Unread Today, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thats whats concerning me its not reading 75db with the AVR test tones only like 70db.
What SPL meter are you using?
post #79179 of 79184 Unread Today, 04:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:
What SPL meter are you using?
a radio shack one and one i downloaded on my iphone (using c weight and slow response)
post #79180 of 79184 Unread Today, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
a radio shack one and one i downloaded on my iphone (using c weight and slow response)
Are you pointing the Radio Shack and the iPhone to the ceiling exactly placed at same height as the Audyssey mic was placed at MLP? (C weight and slow are OK.)
post #79181 of 79184 Unread Today, 04:39 PM

Yup I am just worried there might be something wrong with the receiver at this point.
post #79182 of 79184 Unread Today, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yup I am just worried there might be something wrong with the receiver at this point.
I don't think so! I think when you get the stands for your bookshelf speakers that are on the floor at the moment and partly blocked by furniture all will turn out right.
post #79183 of 79184 Unread Today, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Quote:
Hi,

I have been following this a little, and didn't want to chime-in while you and Feri were talking, but +1 to what he said. I don't think that anything is wrong with the receiver at all. When you played a disc with pink noise, you could only go up to about -5 MV before it got too loud. That sounds typical for most people, and in fact you may be able to tolerate louder volumes than a lot of us can.

I would trust Audyssey's results much more than I would a RS meter. And don't forget that even with cable, nothing stops you from going above 0.0 on your MV. I would put the meter away for awhile and just enjoy the audio if I were you.

Regards,
Mike
mogorf likes this.
post #79184 of 79184 Unread Today, 07:03 PM

Okay yea. I did have a very high end car stereo when I was younger and played it at excessive levels, I'm wondering if my tolerance is high or my ears are degraded as well. Good poInt.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Receivers Amplifiers , Kef Kht1005 2se 5 1 Subwoofer Satellite System With C4 Subwoofer Gloss White , 5 6 7 1 7 2 Or 8 1 8 2 One Or Two Subwoofer Compatible 16 Banana Post 2 Rca Speaker Wall Plate For H

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page