post #9811 of 72928 Old 01-04-2009, 06:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandiman View Post

What does it mean by maximum boot and maximum cut? also is -12dB louder than +12dB?

Maximum boost would be +12 and maximum cut would be -12. When you run Audyssey it is Level matching your speakers and sub (among other things) to your Listening Position and when you raise the "gain or trim" you increase the number, and the opposite when you lower it....+12 is the highest it will go and -12 is the step before it shuts down the signal.

You want to stay away from both extremes and it depends what volume (on the subwoofer) you start it at. If you get a -12 reading after running Audyssey then you would want to lower the volume on the sub and try again.

I run a Klipsch/Denon Home Theater and as an example my levels are set at: Left Front -5/Center -3.5/Right Front -5/subwoofer -7.5, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #9812 of 72928 Old 01-04-2009, 07:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by audyssey View Post

Hi Don,

MultEQ calibration has two parts. The first calculates the delays (distances), trim levels, and crossover frequencies for each speaker.

The second part calculates the room correction filters to compensate for the problems your room is causing. These are called the MultEQ filters.

You can make changes to the delays, trims, and crossovers without having any effect on the MultEQ filters. But if you do that you are potentially changing the reference calibration conditions that Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume rely on to perform their compensations. Small changes are OK, but if you find yourself making large changes you probably should try to figure out why they are needed.

Hi Chris,
I have a few more questions. I ran the setup again which gave me the following results: Distances on fronts & center were perfect. Surrounds came out again at 28.5 ft. which I am leaving there as recommended. Crossovers were 120 hz on fronts and LFE, 110 HZ on Center. Does this look acceptable? I thought the overall sound was pretty good, especially watching a Blu-Ray, but when listening to FM stereo, I needed to adjust the volume down on the sub itself as it was much to bassy and booming to much.
Is there another way to set the bass so I don't have to keep fiddling with the volume on the bass when choosing between blu ray and FM ?
The reason I chose the volume control on the sub was because if I changed the trim inside the Denon, I noticed that it changed the audyssey circle outline on the Denon display. The green light stays on, but the outline or circle around audyssey disappears if I change anything. So does this indicate that I should not "tweak" after running setup? Thanks again,

Don
post #9813 of 72928 Old 01-04-2009, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Gilbert View Post

...the left seat on the couch is actually the center of the room, in front of the center speaker. The speakers are arranged symmetrically around this point, other than the subwoofer in the front right corner. Should I use the left seat on the couch as the center position, and perform the other measurements 2' on either side and three positions 2' in front of those, therefore omitting the right seat on the couch completely?...

If the other seating positions are outside the "sound field" of any of the speakers I certainly would not measure from those spots. I have gotten the best results using the "tight" 8 position (2'/1') pattern centered on the main position in the guide which you referred to above. Maybe you should try rerunning Audyssey setup using that pattern.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #9814 of 72928 Old 01-04-2009, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Richardson View Post

Sorry if this has been answered, I just cant wade through over 300 pages. I just picked up a Denon 1909 and ran the set up but the surrounds seem way too loud compared to the fronts. Is this a known problem or should I try something else? I ran it two times and it was loud both times running Dolby True HD with matrixed 7.1.

I have the exact same problem with my AVR-1909. When I turn off Dynamic Volume, everything sounds fine at a low volume (-35dB). When it is on, the surrounds are very over powering. It wouldn't be so annoying for dialog that stays up front, but when playing my 360, dialog can move as I rotate my character in a FPS. It is annoying to hear the dialog go from muffled in front to something much more desirable in the back.

No matter how often I re-run the setup (3 times), I have this problem. The SPL levels are fine with the speaker levels that Audyssey sets them too. The fact that turning Dynamic Vol/EQ off fixes the problem leads me to believe the Audysssey Dynamic volume is very flawed at extremely low volumes (<-30db).

I have tried all the Dynamic settings (day, Flat, and night) with really no satisfying solution. I think I may have to do without Dynamic volume, since it doesn't really work as advertised for me. What good is it when the surrounds drown out the dialog in the fronts? As I said before, the speaker levels are fine, because I verified with a SPL, and it is not a problem with Dynamic disabled.

When I get my 2808CI back from repairs (auto-cal broke), I will be selling my new AVR-1909, and keeping my old receiver. I bought the 1909 thinking I could really benefit from Dynamic Vol/EQ. After extensive use, trial & error, setup, I think MultiEQ XT is a far better feature than Dynamic Volume IMO.
post #9815 of 72928 Old 01-04-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:

If you need the 3 bedrooms because of the kids, how old are they? Can you wait until one of them leaves?
Do you have a basement?
Some people have even converted their garage. The car(s) stay in the drive, or in a new garage or carport. May be cheaper than a proper extension. Although adding a dedicated home theatre from scratch allows you achieve the ideal dimensions, building materials, soundproofing, hidden wirng, etc.

Sounds like this project is going to take a few years.

Keep telling the wife that a dedicated home theatre extension will add THOUSANDS of dollars to the value of the house.

2 kids - 10 & 6. The plan of building up and building back will become a reality. Hopefully within 5 years. See, we wanted to separate the formal dining from the living room to make it into a super room and have a placement for a baby grand we've been wanting. The current family room will then become the formal dining... and a huge one with a 3-way fireplace when we open up the current dining to the back. The current dining will then become the new bigger kitchen, then half of the current patio deck (18x20) will then become the new family/dining room. The issue now is deciding to add another room dedicated as an entertainment room or making the current master as an entertainment/bar (keeping the shower room as is). One of the kids' room will be knocked off to accomodate the stairway for the secound flloor, and the other kids' room (10x13) will become an office room since that size is too small compared to a 14x15 master (not including the bathroom section) converted converted to said "toy room".

I think the master conversion is a better option since there really isn't any connecting rooms where sound becomes a nuissance. Then only thing on the other side of the wall is the new formal dining (current family room). Yeah, everything is on paper right now. It's just a matter of when, and by then, there will be better things and I can then buy a brand new system, keeping the current one in the family room.
post #9816 of 72928 Old 01-04-2009, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieD View Post

Hi Chris,
I have a few more questions. I ran the setup again which gave me the following results: Distances on fronts & center were perfect. Surrounds came out again at 28.5 ft. which I am leaving there as recommended. Crossovers were 120 hz on fronts and LFE, 110 HZ on Center. Does this look acceptable?

Looks fine.

Quote:

I thought the overall sound was pretty good, especially watching a Blu-Ray, but when listening to FM stereo, I needed to adjust the volume down on the sub itself as it was much to bassy and booming to much.

That's probably because the FM content is not being produced using film reference standards.

Quote:

The reason I chose the volume control on the sub was because if I changed the trim inside the Denon, I noticed that it changed the audyssey circle outline on the Denon display. The green light stays on, but the outline or circle around audyssey disappears if I change anything. So does this indicate that I should not "tweak" after running setup?

That's the whole point of the frame around the logo. It's a visual reminder that you have (or have not) changed the original settings. It doesn't indicate that you should or should not tweak. It just quickly tells you what state the Audyssey settings are in (default or not).

Chris

Join me for Audyssey Tech Talk on Facebook here.
Follow me @ChrisAudyssey on Twitter here.
post #9817 of 72928 Old 01-04-2009, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz101 View Post

I have the exact same problem with my AVR-1909. When I turn off Dynamic Volume, everything sounds fine at a low volume (-35dB). When it is on, the surrounds are very over powering. It wouldn't be so annoying for dialog that stays up front, but when playing my 360, dialog can move as I rotate my character in a FPS. It is annoying to hear the dialog go from muffled in front to something much more desirable in the back.

Keep in mind that there are two components in Dynamic Volume. The first is used to control the dynamic range so things don't get too loud or too soft after you set the dialog level where you want it. The second is Dynamic EQ and its job is to compensate for the changes in how we perceive low and high frequencies as the volume is turned down. Dynamic EQ also adjusts the surround levels because we lose the sense of surround impression at lower volumes.

Is this problem with FPS games only or with movies as well? FPS content is totally different from film in how it is rendered in a surround system. We can only build around standardized formats and games production has a way to go before it agrees on mixing standards.

Chris

post #9818 of 72928 Old 01-04-2009, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Aaron,
Quote:

Previously, Audyssey/Onkyo had reported that my front and surround speakers are full range and my center speaker should be crossed over at 60Hz. I can't really compare surround back, because they are completely different speakers, placed in very different positions.

Now, my front speakers have a recommended 150Hz crossover, surrounds at 60Hz, center still at 60Hz, and surround back also at 60Hz. This is very odd for several reasons:

It's not that odd.

Quote:

1. The front and surround speakers are identical, same drivers, cabinets, and crossovers.

But they are in completely different locations in the room. That greatly affects the bass region of the speaker.

Quote:

2. The position of the front speakers has not changed. Surrounds have moved forward about 2', but this shouldn't affect the front speakers?

The -3 dB point is calculated from all the measurements. So, now that you took more the value is expected to be different (and more accurate assuming you take the measurements as indicated in the guide).

Quote:

3. The center speaker is a chopped version (literally) of the front L/R and surround speakers. Moreover, it's a sealed cabinet about 1/3 the volume of the others, which are vented. So, there's no way it has better low end extension than the front L/R, and is in no way the equal of the surround back, either - even were it placed at the junction of two walls, as are the surround back.

The wall boosts the bass significantly so this can certainly happen even for a smaller speaker.

Quote:

4. All speakers except the center have considerable output into the low 30's, and still quite present at 20Hz, which is why I wasn't surprised when it previously chose to set them to full range.

Actually, the Onkyo you have uses 80 Hz as the criterion for Full Band so this is a non-issue.

Quote:

Using the latest Audyssey EQ, a huge amount of bass has been removed from the front L/R speakers, even if I reset the crossovers to 40Hz or bypass them completely by selecting full range.

This usually happens if you have taken measurements too close to the walls. There is huge bass buildup there due to standing waves and taking measurements there tells MultEQ there is "too much bass".

Quote:

Regarding measurements, I do have one question. Our couch is offset to the right side of center by about 2'. Thus, the left seat on the couch is actually the center of the room, in front of the center speaker. The speakers are arranged symmetrically around this point, other than the subwoofer in the front right corner. Should I use the left seat on the couch as the center position, and perform the other measurements 2' on either side and three positions 2' in front of those, therefore omitting the right seat on the couch completely? All the guides I've ready don't don't seem to specify whether the six-eight positions need to be centered within the speaker array, although the pictures do show this. Audyssey did get all the distances correct using the center of the couch as position #1, both today and back in October.

You should always take the first measurement in the center of the system (in line with the center speaker) even if your main seat is off-center. That way there will not be dramatic delay settings for the other seats. Then, follow the 2' approximate spacing described in the guide. Don't worry about measuring in every seat. You will get better results by measuring 8 positions in an area around the center location. Going off axis (e.g. outside the front left and right speakers) will not give you good results.

Chris

post #9819 of 72928 Old 01-04-2009, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I'm having trouble with my Denon AVR-3808CI and I have been referred to this thread. I purchased the Upgrade from Denon that included the Audyssey updates. When I ran the auto setup it set my speaker distances to strange values (0.1ft for most of them 1.2ft for my center channel I think). It also set them all to -12db. I had read about this problem before so I came on here and they suggested I try reset and running it again. I did the reset and when I tried to run again I had a hard time getting it to run at all. It kept giving me an error that there was no mic or speaker attached, even though they were both attached and the sound was being played. I was finally able to get it to run and it still came up with the strange distance measurements and the -12db settings.

I was wondering if there is anything else I can try, or if I just need to get it sent in for repair.
post #9820 of 72928 Old 01-04-2009, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post

I'm having trouble with my Denon AVR-3808CI and I have been referred to this thread. I purchased the Upgrade from Denon that included the Audyssey updates. When I ran the auto setup it set my speaker distances to strange values (0.1ft for most of them 1.2ft for my center channel I think). It also set them all to -12db. I had read about this problem before so I came on here and they suggested I try reset and running it again. I did the reset and when I tried to run again I had a hard time getting it to run at all. It kept giving me an error that there was no mic or speaker attached, even though they were both attached and the sound was being played. I was finally able to get it to run and it still came up with the strange distance measurements and the -12db settings.

I was wondering if there is anything else I can try, or if I just need to get it sent in for repair.

You have the dreaded firmware corruption that has happened to a few people when they upgrade. It has been impossible for us or Denon to reproduce, but the symptoms are exactly what you describe. Although this is not an Audyssey bug, the corrupt firmware seems to affect MultEQ by making the distances show as 0.1 ft. To verify, try scratching the mic lightly while it's connected. If you hear the scratching noise from the speakers, then you have the problem.

The only solution is to contact Denon and have them reflash your firmware on the unit. Resetting the micro from the front panel does not fix this.

The only somewhat common thread that we have found is that this happens to those who run the upgrade from a wireless network, but there are still some who used ethernet and still got this problem.

Chris

post #9821 of 72928 Old 01-04-2009, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I currently own a Marantz SR5002 which has served me well for the past eight months. The only drawback to this receiver is that it's only rated at a true 90 watts per channel. However, I am using an Emotiva LPA-1 125 watt per channel external amp. So the power issue is taken care of. However, the 5002 doesn't have Audyssey. The newer model 5003 does have Audyssey. My room is 14x13, a less than ideal room for sound. I am tempted to upgrade to a Marantz receiver which employs Audyssey. However, from reading the forums- I wonder if it would be worth it or not. Does Audyssey constantly have to be tweaked depending on various input sources and source material? It certainly seems that way. If that is the case, than it might be more headache than it's worth. I would welcome any feedback.
post #9822 of 72928 Old 01-04-2009, 05:33 PM
Wireless member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:

The only somewhat common thread that we have found is that this happens to those who run the upgrade from a wireless network, but there are still some who used ethernet and still got this problem.

But none reported running it from a CD?
post #9823 of 72928 Old 01-04-2009, 05:36 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhooper1963 View Post

I currently own a Marantz SR5002 which has served me well for the past eight months. The only drawback to this receiver is that it's only rated at a true 90 watts per channel. However, I am using an Emotiva LPA-1 125 watt per channel external amp. So the power issue is taken care of. However, the 5002 doesn't have Audyssey. The newer model 5003 does have Audyssey. My room is 14x13, a less than ideal room for sound. I am tempted to upgrade to a Marantz receiver which employs Audyssey. However, from reading the forums- I wonder if it would be worth it or not. Does Audyssey constantly have to be tweaked depending on various input sources and source material? It certainly seems that way. If that is the case, than it might be more headache than it's worth. I would welcome any feedback.

No, once setup has been run and has produced satisfactory results, no further tweaking is needed. A possible exception might be listening to broadcast TV and/or CDs, but then it is usually only the subwoofer that may need "adjusting." That does not affect the Audyssey filters and returning the AVR's sub channel gain trim to where it was restores the original setup.

FYI on the Marantz w/Audyssey - it drops Audyssey processing on the higher bit rates for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA modes.
post #9824 of 72928 Old 01-04-2009, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

But none reported running it from a CD?

I didn't know it was available on CD.

Chris

post #9825 of 72928 Old 01-04-2009, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

You have the dreaded firmware corruption that has happened to a few people when they upgrade. It has been impossible for us or Denon to reproduce, but the symptoms are exactly what you describe. Although this is not an Audyssey bug, the corrupt firmware seems to affect MultEQ by making the distances show as 0.1 ft. To verify, try scratching the mic lightly while it's connected. If you hear the scratching noise from the speakers, then you have the problem.

The only solution is to contact Denon and have them reflash your firmware on the unit. Resetting the micro from the front panel does not fix this.

Someone in the AVR-3808CI thread told me to try scratching the mic and I definitely hear a soft crackling noise coming out of the speakers when I do it.

My unit is hardwired through two Rosewill 8 port gigabit switches to a Motorola SBG900 cable modem. Not sure if that matters.

I guess I'll have to call American tomorrow and talk to them about sending my unit in for service. Hopefully I can just drop it off there so they can send it in and I won't have to worry about shipping it myself. Otherwise, how does it work with Denon?
post #9826 of 72928 Old 01-04-2009, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 371
I have a small (slightly less than 2000 cu ft) Home Theater with speakers that are "8 Ohm Compatible" (as per their Website) and have efficiency ratings between 97 dB and 102 dB in a 7. 1 (2 subs) configuration....Do you think adding separate amplification would benefit my situation or does the Audyssey EQ program in my Denon THX Ultra II AVR 4806 take care of my Sound Quality?
post #9827 of 72928 Old 01-04-2009, 06:25 PM
Wireless member

Quote:

I didn't know it was available on CD.

OK, this is perhaps a "Doh!" moment for me. My OP 885 got a DSP upgrade with a CD in an attached CD player, and a firmware upgrade from a file on a CD in my laptop. I "assumed" the other manufacturers' units were, or could be, upgraded the same way.
post #9828 of 72928 Old 01-04-2009, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerstalker View Post

Someone in the AVR-3808CI thread told me to try scratching the mic and I definitely hear a soft crackling noise coming out of the speakers when I do it.

My unit is hardwired through two Rosewill 8 port gigabit switches to a Motorola SBG900 cable modem. Not sure if that matters.

I guess I'll have to call American tomorrow and talk to them about sending my unit in for service. Hopefully I can just drop it off there so they can send it in and I won't have to worry about shipping it myself. Otherwise, how does it work with Denon?

You definitely have corrupted firmware. I don't think the gigabit switches have anything to do with this. Your best bet is to contact Denon US directly and ask them how to proceed.

Chris

post #9829 of 72928 Old 01-04-2009, 06:50 PM

Location: Calumet, Michigan, in the U.P.'s Keweenaw Peninsula
Liked: 11
I've had great success with Audyssey calibration, using my Denon 3808. I had done it initially months ago, but after reading the set-up guide posted in this thread, (and much of the thread itself), I got huge improvement.

I have a set of DefTech BP2000s, CLR2000 center, and BPX surrounds, as well as a SuperCube 1. I thought I had a great sounding calibration, until I ran it again with the mic in all 8 of the same positions, but about 6 inches higher all around. It's great now; my sub sounds better than it ever did.

But, upgrade-itis has struck, and I soon will be replacing the SuperCube 1 with an SVS PB13-Ultra. I've checked out the thread on this sub, and Audyssey is mentioned now and then, but not in great detail.

I was just wondering if anyone has any tips for Audyssey calibration with this particular subwoofer. I would plan on just following the guide as I have with my current setup otherwise.

This sub does have additional controls for room size, and also the ability to tune it differently by plugging some or all of the ports, so I'm just curious what methods others may have tried.

"I will drag you, kicking and screaming if I have to, into the modern world!" -- Peter the Great
My Setup
post #9830 of 72928 Old 01-04-2009, 06:54 PM
Wireless member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike25690 View Post

I've had great success with Audyssey calibration, using my Denon 3808. I had done it initially months ago, but after reading the set-up guide posted in this thread, (and much of the thread itself), I got huge improvement.

I have a set of DefTech BP2000s, CLR2000 center, and BPX surrounds, as well as a SuperCube 1. I thought I had a great sounding calibration, until I ran it again with the mic in all 8 of the same positions, but about 6 inches higher all around. It's great now; my sub sounds better than it ever did.

But, upgrade-itis has struck, and I soon will be replacing the SuperCube 1 with an SVS PB13-Ultra. I've checked out the thread on this sub, and Audyssey is mentioned now and then, but not in great detail.

I was just wondering if anyone has any tips for Audyssey calibration with this particular subwoofer. I would plan on just following the guide as I have with my current setup otherwise.

This sub does have additional controls for room size, and also the ability to tune it differently by plugging some or all of the ports, so I'm just curious what methods others may have tried.

It's best to get the sub's circuitry out of the way as much as possible and let Audyssey do its thing. Personally, I'd use the port plugging to get the most extension.
post #9831 of 72928 Old 01-04-2009, 07:03 PM

Bonjour Chris,

Very good product thanks; I am very happy with the sound improvement done by Audyssey

Unit Denon 3808CI
All speakers well calibrated, all settings DRC/Nightmode, D.comp, Cinema Eq, all Off.

Q. Following recommendation, use to enable Dynamic Volume for TV but OFF for all other source, Dynamic EQ always ON. Work to my satisfaction.

Want to understand the effect of Dynamic volume on movie/ center channel. BD/DD TrueHD

Listening at low level, -25db and lower with D/Vol off you start loosing the dialogue, not completely but it is not as clear, the lower you go.

Triggering D/Vol ON, you get back the dialogue in low volume. It seems to blend more which is, very nice.

At -25db and up, there is no difference in the dialogue output with D/Vol on or off.

I want to understand,

1. Normal behavior (which is fine with me)
2. Will I miss any punch from the movie sound track if I leave D/Vol On and listening at -20db and up? Or at this level the D/Vol is almost disabled?

Thanks,
post #9832 of 72928 Old 01-04-2009, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

If the other seating positions are outside the "sound field" of any of the speakers I certainly would not measure from those spots. I have gotten the best results using the "tight" 8 position (2'/1') pattern centered on the main position in the guide which you referred to above. Maybe you should try rerunning Audyssey setup using that pattern.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give it a try using the left spot on the couch as the center measurement position. None of the seats on the couch are outside the sound field, unless you define the sound field as only 2' in any direction from the center point between all speakers.
post #9833 of 72928 Old 01-04-2009, 09:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

You should always take the first measurement in the center of the system (in line with the center speaker) even if your main seat is off-center. That way there will not be dramatic delay settings for the other seats. Then, follow the 2' approximate spacing described in the guide. Don't worry about measuring in every seat. You will get better results by measuring 8 positions in an area around the center location. Going off axis (e.g. outside the front left and right speakers) will not give you good results.

Thanks for the reply, I'll it another try using the exact center of the room/speakers as position #1. I'm still puzzled as to why there's such a large change between measuring with three positions, and eight positions, using the same starting position.

Hopefully the change in measurement positions will also resolve the huge reduction in mid and high frequencies for my front L/R as well.
post #9834 of 72928 Old 01-05-2009, 01:41 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Some of Denon's receivers with MultEQ can be had for less than $300 street price. That's pretty dang inexpensive for a 128x subwoofer processor alone!

Can the subwoofer portion of MultEQ in the 1609 be used as a standalone subwoofer processor?

For instance, if I had 4 subwoofers around the room, can I use four 1609's and have them independently equalize each subwoofer?
post #9835 of 72928 Old 01-05-2009, 04:08 AM

I am planning on buying a new receiver of prepro with roomcorrection abilities.
Therefore I have a question on MultEQ XT

I am currently playing with a 4.1 setup, and not really wanting a centerspeaker. Does MultEQ XT an equally good job for a 4.1 setup as it does for a regular 5.1 setup? Or are competing technologies like MCACC or Trinov better for this?
post #9836 of 72928 Old 01-05-2009, 05:55 AM

I'm 4.1 and Audyssey worked great.
post #9837 of 72928 Old 01-05-2009, 07:24 AM
Wireless member

Quote:

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give it a try using the left spot on the couch as the center measurement position. None of the seats on the couch are outside the sound field, unless you define the sound field as only 2' in any direction from the center point between all speakers.

Generally, when I read the phrase "outside the soundfield," I take it to mean to the left of the left speaker or to the right of the right speaker.
post #9838 of 72928 Old 01-05-2009, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piu001 View Post

Bonjour Chris,

Very good product thanks; I am very happy with the sound improvement done by Audyssey

Unit Denon 3808CI
All speakers well calibrated, all settings DRC/Nightmode, D.comp, Cinema Eq, all Off.

Q. Following recommendation, use to enable Dynamic Volume for TV but OFF for all other source, Dynamic EQ always ON. Work to my satisfaction.

Want to understand the effect of Dynamic volume on movie/ center channel. BD/DD TrueHD

Listening at low level, -25db and lower with D/Vol off you start loosing the dialogue, not completely but it is not as clear, the lower you go.

Triggering D/Vol ON, you get back the dialogue in low volume. It seems to blend more which is, very nice.

At -25db and up, there is no difference in the dialogue output with D/Vol on or off.

I want to understand,

1. Normal behavior (which is fine with me)
2. Will I miss any punch from the movie sound track if I leave D/Vol On and listening at -20db and up? Or at this level the D/Vol is almost disabled?

Thanks,

Dynamic Volume is designed to work around dialog. At very low volumes you will hear a greater effect of Dynamic Volume on dialog (especially soft dialog) because it is likely boosting to bring it up. As you raise the volume there is less of a need to raise the dialog so most of what Dynamic Volume does is control the very loud sounds so they stay within the limits you have selected (by the Day, Evening, Midnight setting).

If by "punch" you mean loud explosions then, yes, they will be reduced by Dynamic Volume at all master volume levels. But the reduction also depends on the master volume setting. At high volume settings, the amount of dynamic range compensation is less than what it is at lower settings.

Chris

post #9839 of 72928 Old 01-05-2009, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starred View Post

I am planning on buying a new receiver of prepro with roomcorrection abilities.
Therefore I have a question on MultEQ XT

I am currently playing with a 4.1 setup, and not really wanting a centerspeaker. Does MultEQ XT an equally good job for a 4.1 setup as it does for a regular 5.1 setup? Or are competing technologies like MCACC or Trinov better for this?

MultEQ XT filters are designed to correct the problems each speaker encounters in the room. So, it doesn't matter how many speakers you have. Each will be corrected individually.

Chris

post #9840 of 72928 Old 01-05-2009, 09:29 AM

I have run Multeq on my system many times and totally happy with results. The results are always consistent, distance, volume adjustment, crossovers and the sound is great. The only ongoing question I have if the BIG VARIANCE in the volume adjustment in my Fronts and Center channel. Audyssey will set my frontst at -3.0 and the Center at -8.5. The are within .5 feet distance of each other. All speakers are set equal distance from the wall behind them. Center channel is mounted above the TV and pointed at the mic. The fronts are also aligned at the mic. All three speakers are close to same sensitivity although the mains maybe somewhate more efficient (which would mean they should be set lower than the center?)

I noticed in a previous thread that Chris was curious that the Center channel volume was different than the fronts by only -2, mine is every time arouned -5. Should I investigate further or just enjoy the great sound that I am getting. Also my fronts and center are bi-wired (did this when I was a nubie), I thing I might put binding post connectors back to see if difference?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Receivers Amplifiers , Kef Kht1005 2se 5 1 Subwoofer Satellite System With C4 Subwoofer Gloss White , 5 6 7 1 7 2 Or 8 1 8 2 One Or Two Subwoofer Compatible 16 Banana Post 2 Rca Speaker Wall Plate For H
Gear in this thread - Kht1005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page