"Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779) - Page 52 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1531 of 71887 Old 02-22-2008, 07:09 AM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Does Audyssey "expect" that the measuring points match the recommendation to start at main LP, 2' to the left and right and then 2' in front of each of those three positions, and deviation from that protocol will produce sub-optimal results? I will be setting up my 885 this weekend and have picked up a lot from this thread that, I think, will push me around the learning curved quickly. However, my seats are 28" apart and my two rows are 60" apart, and I'd like some guidance on whether to stick to the 2-foot thingy or have the six measuring positions be my six listening positions?

Does that make sense?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 71887 Old 02-22-2008, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Does Audyssey "expect" that the measuring points match the recommendation to start at main LP, 2' to the left and right and then 2' in front of each of those three positions, and deviation from that protocol will produce sub-optimal results? I will be setting up my 885 this weekend and have picked up a lot from this thread that, I think, will push me around the learning curved quickly. However, my seats are 28" apart and my two rows are 60" apart, and I'd like some guidance on whether to stick to the 2-foot thingy or have the six measuring positions be my six listening positions?

Does that make sense?

No, there is no expectation on the spacing of the mic. I would suggest starting with your 6 seats and then taking two more measurements between the two rows.

Chris

Chris

Join me for Audyssey Tech Talk on Facebook here.
Follow me @ChrisAudyssey on Twitter here.
post #1533 of 71887 Old 02-22-2008, 09:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by audyssey View Post

No, there is no expectation on the spacing of the mic. I would suggest starting with your 6 seats and then taking two more measurements between the two rows.
Chris

Really? I was under the impression that the first measurement must be at the listening position in order to calculate levels/distances and that the other positions were used only for EQ purposes. Can you clarify?

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #1534 of 71887 Old 02-22-2008, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The first position is used to determine levels and timing, yes. What Chris was saying is there is no expectation on the "spacing" of the measurements. i.e. Audyssey is not programmed to expect that the user place the microphone exactly 3' away from the previous measurement, then the next measurement 3' away from that, etc.
post #1535 of 71887 Old 02-22-2008, 09:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekari View Post

The first position is used to determine levels and timing, yes. What Chris was saying is there is no expectation on the "spacing" of the measurements. i.e. Audyssey is not programmed to expect that the user place the microphone exactly 3' away from the previous measurement, then the next measurement 3' away from that, etc.

OK. I read the question to include asking about the first position at the LP.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #1536 of 71887 Old 02-22-2008, 09:45 AM

I've just run the Audyssey auto-setup on my Onkyo 805 & Orb speaker system.

I was surprised that all the speaker levels have been set at negative values (sub at -13, rest at -2 to -8).

Is this normal behaviour and is it OK? I would have expected that at least one of the settings would be 0!
post #1537 of 71887 Old 02-22-2008, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMan1 View Post

I was surprised that all the speaker levels have been set at negative values (sub at -13, rest at -2 to -8).

Is this normal behaviour and is it OK? I would have expected that at least one of the settings would be 0!

The speaker levels are all set relative to a predetermined reference level. If your AVR is THX certified, then that reference level is 105dB peaks when the master volume is set to "0". You must have fairly sensitve / efficient speakers, or sit very close to them.
post #1538 of 71887 Old 02-22-2008, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMan1 View Post

You might want to run Audyssey again with your sub amp turned down a bit, so you get a bit more equal level values between the sub and the other channels.
post #1539 of 71887 Old 02-22-2008, 10:25 AM
Wireless member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:

Chris

Thanks, I'm looking forward to doing the setup. I have a new (woven) AT screen and have not inserted my 1/3 oct EQs on LCR hoping that I don't have to.

Jeff
post #1540 of 71887 Old 02-22-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyzziks View Post

You might want to run Audyssey again with your sub amp turned down a bit, so you get a bit more equal level values between the sub and the other channels.

Yes, good idea! I need to do it again, anyway, when I add the 2 rears speakers.
post #1541 of 71887 Old 02-22-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge View Post

The speaker levels are all set relative to a predetermined reference level. If your AVR is THX certified, then that reference level is 105dB peaks when the master volume is set to "0". You must have fairly sensitve / efficient speakers, or sit very close to them.

The are Orb Mod1's and Mod2's - is sensitive good?

We sit about 11' from most of speakers.
post #1542 of 71887 Old 02-22-2008, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Chris,

"Assuming that you don't want to remeasure when the futon is in place,..."

You got that right

"... I would suggest shifting the pattern I suggested in an earlier post so that is goes behind the front couch. I would take three measurements on each couch and two more between them and closer to the center."

Each row seats four (6 1/2' wide), so would it be better to put the mike 3' to the side of center than 2/?

Also, a brick fireplace juts out to about 2' from the right side of the couch.

Should I cover it with sound absorbing material during setup?

Thanks

Noah
post #1543 of 71887 Old 02-22-2008, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

Chris,

"Assuming that you don't want to remeasure when the futon is in place,..."

You got that right

"... I would suggest shifting the pattern I suggested in an earlier post so that is goes behind the front couch. I would take three measurements on each couch and two more between them and closer to the center."

Each row seats four (6 1/2' wide), so would it be better to put the mike 3' to the side of center than 2/?

Also, a brick fireplace juts out to about 2' from the right side of the couch.

Should I cover it with sound absorbing material during setup?

Thanks

Noah,

Start with the mic in the middle of the front row and then move out to the left and right so that you don't go outside the front speakers.

I would leave the fireplace as it so that its effects are part of the measurement.

Chris

Chris

post #1544 of 71887 Old 02-22-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:

Does the MultEQ test tone play from the center speaker? The sequence should be L, C, R, RS, Rback, LBack, LS, Sub.

Chris

Yes I was getting a tone from the center speaker but it didnt sound the same as the tone from the mains. Took the bridge off the center speaker and hooked the output up to the high frequency and got no tone at all. Opened the speaker and the negative wire to the tweeter had come off its spade lug. Guess it happened in shipping. Reattached it and re-ran Audyssey and all is well.
post #1545 of 71887 Old 02-22-2008, 03:42 PM

Chris,
I am planning to purchase the Sound Equalizer however I noticed that the unit has analog I/O. I also understand that the unit is placed between the source (ie DVD player and the receiver). Currently I have the DVD recorder going to the receiver through HDMI. I presume if I purchase the Equalizer, the DVD recorder will be plugged into the Preamp and the preamp to the Equalizer. I know the Equalizer enhances the sound but will it be compromised because I won't be using HDMI anymore. Will I have to replace my HDMI cables? Maybe I am missing something entirely. Could you explain how the setup is?
post #1546 of 71887 Old 02-22-2008, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBaker View Post

Yes I was getting a tone from the center speaker but it didnt sound the same as the tone from the mains. Took the bridge off the center speaker and hooked the output up to the high frequency and got no tone at all. Opened the speaker and the negative wire to the tweeter had come off its spade lug. Guess it happened in shipping. Reattached it and re-ran Audyssey and all is well.

Great to see a happy ending. Your system of elimination worked well. Another person may have spent weeks of frustration trying to work out what was wrong, including returning the receiver, returning the centre, smashing holes in the wall with his head, etc
post #1547 of 71887 Old 02-22-2008, 04:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matnick2127 View Post

Chris,
I am planning to purchase the Sound Equalizer however I noticed that the unit has analog I/O. I also understand that the unit is placed between the source (ie DVD player and the receiver). Currently I have the DVD recorder going to the receiver through HDMI. I presume if I purchase the Equalizer, the DVD recorder will be plugged into the Preamp and the preamp to the Equalizer. I know the Equalizer enhances the sound but will it be compromised because I won't be using HDMI anymore. Will I have to replace my HDMI cables? Maybe I am missing something entirely. Could you explain how the setup is?

The SEQ is intended to be inserted between the preamp and the power amp. For users of modern AVRs, the situation is complicated by the use of HDMI and the common lack of a mch analog tape loop.

What AVR are you using? You might be better off simply buying a new AVR with Audyssey MultEQ XT built in and with the capability of using AudysseyPro software.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #1548 of 71887 Old 02-22-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

The SEQ is intended to be inserted between the preamp and the power amp. For users of modern AVRs, the situation is complicated by the use of HDMI and the common lack of a mch analog tape loop.

What AVR are you using? You might be better off simply buying a new AVR with Audyssey MultEQ XT built in and with the capability of using AudysseyPro software.

Kal,
I am using the Onkyo TX-SR705. It has Audyssey MultEQ built in and I have used it to calibrate my system, however, I have read that the SEQ is much better than what the AVR companies put into their units.
post #1549 of 71887 Old 02-22-2008, 05:16 PM

Audessey with the Onkyo 905.

1 - Should I set the volume level to some particular level or does the volume settign not matter when running Audessey.

2 - My sub does not have phase adjustment. Does Audessey compensate subwoofer phase.

Thanks
post #1550 of 71887 Old 02-22-2008, 05:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Kal,
I am using the Onkyo TX-SR705. It has Audyssey MultEQ built in and I have used it to calibrate my system, however, I have read that the SEQ is much better than what the AVR companies put into their units.

I do not think it makes sense, financially or operationally, to put a $2500 EQ on a $600 AVR. I would sooner invest in one of the other Onkyo AVRs with the AudysseyPro option. You can buy one of these, with its additional features and greater power and AudysseyPro, for less than the SEQ.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #1551 of 71887 Old 02-22-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:

I do not think it makes sense, financially or operationally, to put a $2500 EQ on a $600 AVR. I would sooner invest in one of the other Onkyo AVRs with the AudysseyPro option. You can buy one of these, with its additional features and greater power and AudysseyPro, for less than the SEQ.

I guess I did not know how the SEQ worked. For $2500 I thought this was an addition to my system that would have enhanced the sound using the current receiver I have. Is the AudysseyPro option comparable to the SEQ. How does the Pro option work?
post #1552 of 71887 Old 02-22-2008, 05:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I guess I did not know how the SEQ worked. For $2500 I thought this was an addition to my system that would have enhanced the sound using the current receiver I have. Is the AudysseyPro option comparable to the SEQ. How does the Pro option work?

I suggest you read this thread or consult the Audyssey website.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #1553 of 71887 Old 02-22-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:

I suggest you read this thread or consult the Audyssey website.

Thanks I will. Do you know if Onkyo has a receiver with the Pro option. I checked their website and did not find one. I know Denon has come out with this option.
post #1554 of 71887 Old 02-22-2008, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Post 1530 has some info on the differences between the SEQ and the built-in MultEQ found in receivers. Kal's comments are spot on. The SEQ is really not meant to integrate with a receiver. It's intended for systems with separate components. One reason for the higher price is the high cost of the ADCs and DACs that are required to make this as transparent as possible in an analog insert path.

Chris

Chris

post #1555 of 71887 Old 02-22-2008, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks I will. Do you know if Onkyo has a receiver with the Pro option. I checked their website and did not find one. I know Denon has come out with this option.

That info is available here:
http://www.audyssey.com/products/index.html

Chris

Chris

post #1556 of 71887 Old 02-22-2008, 06:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmohler6 View Post

Audessey with the Onkyo 905.

1 - Should I set the volume level to some particular level or does the volume settign not matter when running Audessey.

2 - My sub does not have phase adjustment. Does Audessey compensate subwoofer phase.

Thanks

The volume setting is ignored during the calibration. Yes, Audyssey compensates for subwoofer phase by measuring the time delay between the sub and each speaker.

Chris

PS. It's Audyssey not Audessey

Chris

post #1557 of 71887 Old 02-22-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:

That info is available here:
http://www.audyssey.com/products/index.html

Chris

Thanks Chris but what do I look for. I have an Onkyo 705 which has MultEQ XT. Do you know if I can use the Pro software with this receiver?
post #1558 of 71887 Old 02-22-2008, 07:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks Chris but what do I look for. I have an Onkyo 705 which has MultEQ XT. Do you know if I can use the Pro software with this receiver?

Go to the website and look for the list of AudysseyPro-compatible devices.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #1559 of 71887 Old 02-22-2008, 07:56 PM

I just ran the Audyssey XT calibration using 8 points on my denon 4308ci and got an error message that my front right and left speakers were out of phase. I re-ran the calibration several times (turning off my projector) and only got the error until I switched the wiring on my front speakers. I find this a little odd because I checked the cabling and I have run the polarity correctly from the receiver when I get the error.

What makes this odder still is that I previously had a denon 4806 and never got the out of phase error on it. Any idea why I might be seeing this? Is this something I should be concerned about? My final calibration run was done with the polarity backwards on the front speakers, but with no errors during calibration.
post #1560 of 71887 Old 02-22-2008, 08:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Quote:

It's Audyssey not Audessey

Have you considered changing the name to Audessey MultiEQ, just to make it easier on others?

Sanjay

Sanjay
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Receivers Amplifiers , Kef Kht1005 2se 5 1 Subwoofer Satellite System With C4 Subwoofer Gloss White , 5 6 7 1 7 2 Or 8 1 8 2 One Or Two Subwoofer Compatible 16 Banana Post 2 Rca Speaker Wall Plate For H
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page