"Official" Audyssey thread (FAQ in post #51779) - Page 577 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #17281 of 72928 Old 08-08-2009, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am hoping someone can help me

I have a Denon 3808ci with the latest firmware and feature pack along with Def Tech 2001 Front Mains, 2002 center, BPX Surrounds and Pro Monitor 1000 for the rear.

I finally added a PB13-Ultra sub from SVS this week. I proceeded to rerun Audysseycalibration using a full 8 sitting positions. Afterwards the setup seemed very loud.

after some research in this thread I found the setup guide which suggested checking to see if Audyssey had set the boost for the sub to the maximum +12 db and in fact it has. I then reran Audyssey increasing the gain on my sub until the sub was at max gain, but the result was always to have a +12db for not only the sub but all of my speakers.

Any thoughts on getting things back into range?

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17282 of 72928 Old 08-08-2009, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky636 View Post

I was up too late last night/this morning watching "Gran Torino" to do anything that clever.

Not one of Clint's best, despite the fact he shot a lot of it here in the Detroit area. Now Watchmen was worth stayin' up late for.
Your link is just fine. That fancy stuff is a little too much trouble.

Yes, I still like playing with Dalis.

post #17283 of 72928 Old 08-08-2009, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryChanin View Post

One has to be suspicious in viewing "random" readings in bass level measurements. Is it possible that ambient noise levels could have accounted for fluctuations in measurements? Did you take all the MultEQ OFF readings consecutively, then all the PCM readings, followed by all of the Bitstream measurements? In contrast to first taking the 25 Hz MultEQ OFF reading, then the PCM reading at 25 Hz, then the Bitstream reading at 25 Hz, etc.? Depending on which method you used, if there was say air conditioning noises interfering with measurements, then the measurements might differ more significantly between MultEQ OFF, PCM and Bitstream with the first method versus the second particularly if the noise was consistently present in one situation versus another.

I hesitate to suggest this, but if you were to run your measurements again, and the results remained consistent with your first set of readings, that would help eliminate random fluctuations in ambient noise as a contributing factor in your "random" measurements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR_LaRRY_PEpPeR View Post

I measured each "type" consecutively, not each frequency -- would've been too much switching! But no, I'm confident in the readings and nothing affecting them, and I did it at a high enough level, nearfield, etc. The A/C blower did cycle once that I noticed, but even when it's on, it's a struggle for the SPL meter to stay above 50dB (lowest it goes...).

Hi Matt,

No insult is intended and perhaps I missed your point, but how can you be so confident in the accuracy of your readings, taken with an SPL meter and sine waves, when you admit the air conditioner cycled on during measurements and it had occasional noise levels measured in excess of 50 dB?

Larry
post #17284 of 72928 Old 08-08-2009, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetali View Post

I am hoping someone can help me

I have a Denon 3808ci with the latest firmware and feature pack along with Def Tech 2001 Front Mains, 2002 center, BPX Surrounds and Pro Monitor 1000 for the rear.

I finally added a PB13-Ultra sub from SVS this week. I proceeded to rerun Audysseycalibration using a full 8 sitting positions. Afterwards the setup seemed very loud.

after some research in this thread I found the setup guide which suggested checking to see if Audyssey had set the boost for the sub to the maximum +12 db and in fact it has. I then reran Audyssey increasing the gain on my sub until the sub was at max gain, but the result was always to have a +12db for not only the sub but all of my speakers.

Any thoughts on getting things back into range?

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

Audyssey is setting the trims for your speakers so that with the volume control at 0 you can listen at the same reference level as the mixers heard. You don't have to listen at the level and most people listen 10 or 20 dB below that.

Now, on the sub: you have to decrease the level on the back not increase it to max! Your 3808 is running out of range when it tries to correct the sub level to what it needs to be. Turn the sub volume down to below the halfway point until MultEQ returns a trim that is not so close to -12 dB for the sub.

Finally, make sure you are measuring using the recommended pattern that is found on the link in the first post of this thread.

Chris

Join me for Audyssey Tech Talk on Facebook here.
Follow me @ChrisAudyssey on Twitter here.
post #17285 of 72928 Old 08-08-2009, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi Chris,

Thanks (that's your contacting them, I assume...). And of course that's what we'd expect. Still concerned how I'll get mine resolved.

Yes that was me contacting them. I suggest calling the US tech support line for Denon.

Quote:

I don't get that part? MultEQ on/off should obviously change something unless it measured a "perfect" room.

No because the MultEQ filters are normalized so that the level you hear doesn't change when you turn them on and off. This is not just for the sub, but also for the satellite channels. You are right, the changes that MultEQ filters are making would result in level variations between on and off if we didn't do this.

Chris

post #17286 of 72928 Old 08-08-2009, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audyssey View Post

Now, on the sub: you have to decrease the level on the back not increase it to max! Your 3808 is running out of range when it tries to correct the sub level to what it needs to be. Turn the sub volume down to below the halfway point until MultEQ returns a trim that is not so close to -12 dB for the sub.

Audyssey, okay I am really confused, when the receiver sets the boost to +12 through Audyssey I need to lower my gain on the sub to reduce the boost? Well I have done that and again all speakers including the sub stay at +12 db.

I understand that Audyssey is setting up so that at 0db is refference level, and previous runs of Audyssey (before adding the new sub) I was generally listening at -15 to -20 db, now I am listening at -30 to -35 db for general listening.

I am excited to get this all setup and tuned to the best possible settings so any assistance is much apprecaited.

Thanks,
Bryce
post #17287 of 72928 Old 08-08-2009, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Bryce,

Quote:

Audyssey, okay I am really confused, when the receiver sets the boost to +12 through Audyssey I need to lower my gain on the sub to reduce the boost? Well I have done that and again all speakers including the sub stay at +12 db.

Sorry... I misunderstood your earlier post. If the Denon trim shows at +12 then your sub level is too low. So, you are saying then that when you turn the sub gain all the way up you still get a +12 dB trim showing on the Denon?

Do you have a lowpass filter engaged on your sub? It's possible that you have that set too low and MultEQ isn't seeing the frequency range it needs to determine the level. That filter should be turned off if possible. If not, then you should set it to the highest available frequency and leave it there.

Chris

post #17288 of 72928 Old 08-08-2009, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

I'm confused.

Did you set the sub level BEFORE running Audyssey or AFTER running Audyssey?

The idea is to have the sub within +/- 3 db of reference when Audyssey is complete. You do that by setting the level control on the sub between 9:00 and 12:00, running the first position, and seeing where Audyssey sets the sub level. If it is between +/- 3 db of zero, stop and run all positions. If it is not, raise or lower the level control on the sub as necessary and repeat the first postion with Audyssey. You do NOT raise the sub level AFTER running Audyssey unless that is your preferance.

Did you follow the Audyssey set up procedure?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post14456895

Sorry. I don't know how to give the link a name.

Figures, I did it after running Audyssey...I will run thru the setup again, doing it the correct way this time.

Thanks for the clarification.
post #17289 of 72928 Old 08-08-2009, 12:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

...lower my gain on the sub to reduce the boost... have done that and again all speakers including the sub stay at +12 db.

Weird. What were the autosetup trim levels prior to the new sub? Did you hear more than 1 set of chirps for each speaker during these more recent autosetup runs? No error messages, right? Tried a "reset the microprocessor?"

post #17290 of 72928 Old 08-08-2009, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtbdevs View Post

Figures, I did it after running Audyssey...I will run thru the setup again, doing it the correct way this time.

I ASSumed too much. Glad bluesky picked up on the ambiguity.

post #17291 of 72928 Old 08-08-2009, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtbdevs View Post

You're welcome.

After setting everything to REFERENCE, then you can adjust for PREFERENCE. For instance, with Dynamic EQ on, I knock my sub level down by 0.5 db while raising the side surrounds by 0.5 db. All others speakers stay at the reference levels. Just the way my ears/brain works, I guess.
post #17292 of 72928 Old 08-08-2009, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

Not one of Clint's best, despite the fact he shot a lot of it here in the Detroit area. Now Watchmen was worth stayin' up late for.

Based on our tastes in movies, I'm guessing I may be older than you (I'm 55).

Put another way, "Gran Torino" is a "one Scotch" movie, while "Watchmen" would have to be a "two Scotch" or maybe "three Scotch" movie.
post #17293 of 72928 Old 08-08-2009, 01:01 PM

Audyssey, I have verified that my lowpass filter is switched to Off.

Soundofmind, I didn't have my trim levels recorded prior to the new sub I have run the autosetup many times, some of them I have heard more than 1 set of chirps for a speaker (what does this mean?). The only error message I get are random polarity challenges, but I have verified the polarity is correct, it is always for one or two of the front speakers. No I have not tried to reset the microprocessor yet. Will that wipe the 3808 firmware upgrade?

Thanks for the assistance from you both
post #17294 of 72928 Old 08-08-2009, 01:40 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just replaced my Polk R15's (LS and RS) with Polk FX dipole/bipoles. They're sitting to the side of the listening area, dipole setting as they should be.

I re-ran Audyssey of course.

Does Audyssey have any problems with dipole or bipole? Wasn't sure if the out-of-phase stuff messes things up or skews results. I had them set to dipole.

Marantz AVR & monoblocks + MartinLogan Motion 3.1 setup
post #17295 of 72928 Old 08-08-2009, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I didn't have my trim levels recorded prior to the new sub I have run the autosetup many times, some of them I have heard more than 1 set of chirps for a speaker (what does this mean?)... No I have not tried to reset the microprocessor yet. Will that wipe the 3808 firmware upgrade?

I was just fishing around for more info that might lead us in a particular direction. Chirps repeat louder if there is insufficient S/N, usually due to noise in the room. I was thinking that a low mic signal (defective mic, cord, jack not seated prperly) might cause all trims to be set to max.

I would expect a hard reset to wipe your manual settings, not your software upgrade. But, prior to doing that extreme measure, see if you get more advice here and post in the 3808 thread as well. And go thru and write down all your other settings.

post #17296 of 72928 Old 08-08-2009, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGSRGuy View Post

Just replaced my Polk R15's (LS and RS) with Polk FX dipole/bipoles. They're sitting to the side of the listening area, dipole setting as they should be.

I re-ran Audyssey of course.

Does Audyssey have any problems with dipole or bipole? Wasn't sure if the out-of-phase stuff messes things up or skews results. I had them set to dipole.

Did you HAVE a problem when you ran Audyssey?

As long as the speakers are oriented properly (in-phase driver pointed toward the front of the room), you should have no problem. If you get a phase error and the speakers cables are connected properly, just ignore the error.

You might want to experiment with dipole/bipole settings to see which you prefer. I have a pair of Def Tech BP2X bipoles as my side surrounds and they work great. I never did like the sound of dipoles.
post #17297 of 72928 Old 08-08-2009, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
Quote:

I was up too late last night/this morning watching "Gran Torino" to do anything that clever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundofMind View Post

Your link is just fine. That fancy stuff is a little too much trouble.

Quote:

Based on our tastes in movies, I'm guessing I may be older than you (I'm 55).

Put another way, "Gran Torino" is a "one Scotch" movie, while "Watchmen" would have to be a "two Scotch" or maybe "three Scotch" movie.

I'm 35 an loved "Gran Torino", I thought it was one of Clint's best works. Laughed my butt off through a lot of it. I'm with Walt... I mean Mr. Kowalski, cold domestic beer for me. Audyssey isn't just for action movies, it makes them all better.
post #17298 of 72928 Old 08-08-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:

Hi Matt,

Please read what I posted again, quoted above.

It's not a mad icon, it's a confused icon, .

Larry

Hi Larry, please look at your post again. (At the very top of your post, next to your name.) I'm not talking about the "text" of your post, but the single icon you can choose for a post. See my Big Grin up there.

Quote:

Hi Matt,

No insult is intended and perhaps I missed your point, but how can you be so confident in the accuracy of your readings, taken with an SPL meter and sine waves, when you admit the air conditioner cycled on during measurements and it had occasional noise levels measured in excess of 50 dB?

Larry

Because 50dB isn't going to make a dent in something > 80dB, as there's a 1,000 times difference in power, and 90dB is 10,000x of course. Add 50/60/70dB to 90, and you still have 90dB. Even adding 80+90 would only be about 90.4dB if I'm calculating it correctly...
post #17299 of 72928 Old 08-08-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audyssey View Post

Yes that was me contacting them. I suggest calling the US tech support line for Denon.

All right.

Quote:

No because the MultEQ filters are normalized so that the level you hear doesn't change when you turn them on and off. This is not just for the sub, but also for the satellite channels. You are right, the changes that MultEQ filters are making would result in level variations between on and off if we didn't do this.

I understand that the perceived level is overall the same, e.g. turning it on/off doesn't sound like a "volume change." I previously mentioned that MultEQ+PCM does sound fairly similar to MEQ Off, except the former seems to have slightly "duller" bass -- makes sense after measuring its lower output at some frequencies compared to Off.

What I meant by "on/off should obviously change something" is if I measured different frequencies as with the test tone results I posted. I certainly wouldn't expect the same result as with MultEQ Off (unless it measured a "perfect room"), otherwise the EQ wouldn't be doing anything. For example, if setup determined that the room has a 50Hz peak, then I might observe, say, a 6dB reduction at that frequency. If not 6dB relative to MultEQ Off, 6dB relative to surrounding frequencies or such (if "normalization" causes those other frequencies to be a bit louder than Off).

Because of that in other words, I don't have any way to know if either set of measurements I got with MultEQ on (bitstream or PCM) is actually correct compensation for my room or they're both totally wrong. (Obviously the results are uneven (perhaps too much?), but I would expect that measuring nearfield, for listening position correction, compared to the mostly flat Off measurements.)
post #17300 of 72928 Old 08-08-2009, 03:12 PM
tkc

I did some more investigation last night on my situation -- when using Room EQ Wizard to look at what's coming from the sub output on my Denon 989, I saw that Audyssey had produced a big increase in sub output from about 40 Hz on as compared to below 40Hz. Instead of following the curve that normally appears with a roll off from 80Hz, the output was about 10db or so higher than I thought it should have been by 100Hz!

What the curve looked like was flat from 20Hz to 30Hz, then increasing to where it was tracking the desired roll-off curve, except quite a bit hot. I guess you could interpret it as (A) flat up to 30Hz and then a big bump afterwards, or (B) depressed from 20Hz to 30Hz, and then flat afterwards.

The other interesting thing is that the Audyssey setup suggested my mains were good to about 40Hz, which isn't true -- so I set the crossover at 80Hz.

Last night, the penny dropped.

I have a Rythmik sub which has been really great. It has a crossover where you can select the slope: 12 or 24 db/oct. There's no crossover defeat switch, so I have just turned the crossover to its max setting. Before I had the 989, I was using the 24 db/oct setting to blend in my mains. The thing is: when using this, the amp adds a 12 db/oct roll-off starting at 80Hz, to the 12 db/oct roll-off starting at the crossover knob setting. Audyssey was compensating for this by ramping up the sub output!

I changed the crossover in the Denon to 40Hz, as was suggested by the setup. When I checked the sub output again, it matched the 80Hz roll-off curve almost exactly, just with a few bumps that I assume were put in for correction. Audyssey had intelligently figured out how to compensate for the setting I had left on in my sub, using a lower crossover!

I am running with the 40Hz crossover for now, and will change the sub setting and re-run Audyssey when I get a chance. In the meantime, I am impressed with what it can do!

Edit: I have since turned off the hard-wired 80Hz filter and run Audyssey again, and find the overall shape of the graph quite similar. I've posted some graphs on the next page.
post #17301 of 72928 Old 08-08-2009, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Did you HAVE a problem when you ran Audyssey?

As long as the speakers are oriented properly (in-phase driver pointed toward the front of the room), you should have no problem. If you get a phase error and the speakers cables are connected properly, just ignore the error.

You might want to experiment with dipole/bipole settings to see which you prefer. I have a pair of Def Tech BP2X bipoles as my side surrounds and they work great. I never did like the sound of dipoles.

Polk's site says these need to be run in dipole mode based on where I set them up (on the sides of the listening area, firing forward-backward). If they're turned 90 degrees, or on the back wall, you run in bipole.

Anyways, how do I even know which side is in-phase?

Marantz AVR & monoblocks + MartinLogan Motion 3.1 setup
post #17302 of 72928 Old 08-08-2009, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGSRGuy View Post

Polk's site says these need to be run in dipole mode based on where I set them up (on the sides of the listening area, firing forward-backward). If they're turned 90 degrees, or on the back wall, you run in bipole.

Anyways, how do I even know which side is in-phase?

You did read the owner's manual that came with the speakers, didn't you? Here is a link to it just in case you lost it:

http://www.polkaudio.com/downloads/m...C_FXManual.pdf

As far as using dipole vs bipole, there is no "requirement" that says you can only use dipoles if they are mounted in line with your seating position. Depending on the size and acoustics of your home theater you can use dipole, bipole, or monopole speakers to achieve the desired combination of envelopment and directivity. I prefer bipole speakers for the side surrounds and monopole speakers for the back surrounds in a 7.1 system. I don't like the sound of dipoles. Never have.

The owner's manual says:

"The type of surround processor you use will influence your placement and bi-pole/di-pole switching choices [figure 2]. Experiment to find the right balance of sound quality and room integration:

Direct surround effectsbi-pole mode [figure 3a & 3b]: If you plan on placing the speakers more than one foot (30cm) behind the primary listening position we recommend using the bipole switch setting [figure 2] and placement.

Diffuse surround effectsdi-pole mode [figure 4]: For a more diffuse effect, place the speakers on the side walls in line with your listening position and at least 2 feet away from the rear wall. Select the dipole switch setting
[figure 2].

In either case place surround speakers at least 2 feet (60cm) above seated ear height."

The key is to find what sounds best to you. Bipoles will spread the sound around without the "hollow" effect that dipoles sometimes create. Bipoles will also give you better imaging. The only way to find what you like best is to experiment.

As far as which speaker goes where, your owner's manual tells you that also:

"One LSi FX speaker is the left channel speaker, and the other is the right channel speaker. The serial number label identifies which speaker is which [figure 2]. The left surround speaker should be placed on the left side of the room as you face the front of the room."

Read the owner's manual, experiement a little with the settings, an decide what you like best. I would love to have a pair or two of those speakers. Five out of seven of my speakers are Polk. If I had the money I would upgrade to an all Polk system with the latest models.
post #17303 of 72928 Old 08-08-2009, 09:28 PM

Please accept my appologies if this has been discussed previously, this is a very large thread.

I've just installed an Audyssey Pro unit for 2ch duties (This is to replace the dual Velodyne SMS1); my room is a combined HT and 2ch setup. I've got the SVS/Audyssey EQ-1 for my 2 subs that are used for HT duties. The Audyssey Pro is being used with both of my mains and the 2 subs alongside them.

Is there any way to combine the resultant graphs? It would be great IMO to be able to merge the subs and appropriate speaker in one before and after graph. I realise these units are designed for HT and as such this functionality would not usually be a requirement.

"I may not always be RIGHT, but I'm never WRONG"
post #17304 of 72928 Old 08-08-2009, 10:32 PM

Not only does my Audyssey calibration return +12 db for all of my speakers and sub, but it also has a distance of .1 - 2 ft for all distances, when in reality, my speakers are between 7 & 11 FT from the listening position.

I ran the 8 positions again, with the TV turned off, the HVAC turned off (and in Dallas today over the hours of working on this it got a little warm) and still came up with the same results.

For now I have manually adjusted the volumes and distances, but I would like to figure out why Audyssey is not calculating things correctly.

Thanks,
Bryce
post #17305 of 72928 Old 08-08-2009, 10:46 PM
Wireless member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearmint View Post

I've just installed an Audyssey Pro unit for 2ch duties (This is to replace the dual Velodyne SMS1); my room is a combined HT and 2ch setup. I've got the SVS/Audyssey EQ-1 for my 2 subs that are used for HT duties. The Audyssey Pro is being used with both of my mains and the 2 subs alongside them.

Is there any way to combine the resultant graphs? It would be great IMO to be able to merge the subs and appropriate speaker in one before and after graph. I realise these units are designed for HT and as such this functionality would not usually be a requirement.

"Audyssey Pro" as in the Audyssey Pro Installer Kit? If so, that is run after running the AS-EQ1 setup. So, in effect, the graphs generated with the Audyssey Pro software contain the effects of the AS-EQ1.
post #17306 of 72928 Old 08-08-2009, 11:32 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

Here's the meter readings with the different ways. Volume was -32 and meter sitting about a foot away from the sub again. I was using bitstream with MultEQ Off, but of course last night it was the same as PCM. The couple .5 ones are where the meter was going between two... I did a few of the Right Rear channel as well (10dB lower signal, no boost), to show that it's not just the LFE channel (set to 250Hz, Chris). The surrounds are crossed over at 150Hz, BTW. (They were set to 120 last time; both surrounds have a dip that starts there... Just an aside. )

Code:
           --- LFE ---                   --- R Rear ---
        MEQ      MultEQ On              MEQ      MultEQ On
Hz      Off     PCM      BS             Off     PCM      BS
-----------------------------------------------------------
25  |   89       85      94.5
30  |   91.5     90      96
35  |   94       94      98
40  |   96       96     101
45  |   97       91     104             87       81      93
50  |   97       92     103             86       82      93
55  |   97      100     101             87       90      91
60  |   99      104      97             89       94      87
65  |   97       98     101
70  |   98       99     101
75  |   99      101     101
80  |   98       99     100
85  |   97       99     101
90  |   96.5     96     101
95  |   96       95     100
100 |   96       95     100
105 |   96       92     102
110 |   95       89     101
115 |   95       90     101
120 |   96       89     102
See what I mean about the random differences?

I have not carefully checked other speakers to see what happens there, or if it's mainly the sub. The tones on this DVD only go to 120Hz anyway...

I decided to do some measurements to see if I could replicate your issue.
I used DVE SD(DD encoded reference tones) in the PS3 connected vial HDMI to Denon AVR-3808.
Measurements are taken using Laptop running REW(in spectrum analysis mode, 1/6 octave) with Tascam US-144 USB interface(loop calibrated) connected via 3808 line level preamp outputs..........so we're looking at line level output signal not in room measurements.

Trace colours(not quite accurate forum to trace colours)
Red = Sub Multichannel with Audyssey ON
Green = Sub Multichannel with Audyssey OFF
Blue = Sub Bitstream with Audyssey OFF
Magenta = Sub Bitstream with Audyssey ON
Turquoise = Left Surround Bitstream with Audyssey ON
Tan = Left Surround Bitstream with Audyssey OFF
Light Green = Left Surround Multichannel with Audyssey OFF
Purple = Left Surround Multichannel with Audyssey ON

To start with this graph contains all 8 measurements

This is Multichannel and Bitstream with Audyssey OFF

This is Multichannel and Bitstream with Audyssey ON

This is a close up with the vertical scale grid at 3db intervals of the Sub output Multichannel and Bitstream with Audyssey ON

Short story, my measurements show no real differences between Multichannel and Bitstream with Audyssey off or on, so it's not something that affects all Audyssey devices.

Have you made sure that all the different Dynamic Range Compression types are turned off on both the player and AVR?
There are a few and it's not hard to miss one..........the PS3 has one, AVR has Night Mode and DRC or D.COMP(depending on the format which only shows up when bitstreaming).

cheers
post #17307 of 72928 Old 08-08-2009, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not only does my Audyssey calibration return +12 db for all of my speakers and sub, but it also has a distance of .1 - 2 ft for all distances, when in reality, my speakers are between 7 & 11 FT from the listening position.

I ran the 8 positions again, with the TV turned off, the HVAC turned off (and in Dallas today over the hours of working on this it got a little warm) and still came up with the same results.

For now I have manually adjusted the volumes and distances, but I would like to figure out why Audyssey is not calculating things correctly.

Thanks,
Bryce

It was suggested before, don't know if you've tried it, but it sounds like it is time for a hard reset.
post #17308 of 72928 Old 08-09-2009, 02:30 AM
tkc

Hi everyone,

Here is the output direct from the sub out on my receiver, plotted using Room EQ Wizard. The only difference between the two traces is that one is without Audyssey enabled (purple trace), and the other is with it on (green trace). Is the difference in level between the two traces to be expected?
LL
post #17309 of 72928 Old 08-09-2009, 03:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkc View Post

Hi everyone,

Here is the output direct from the sub out on my receiver, plotted using Room EQ Wizard. The only difference between the two traces is that one is without Audyssey enabled (purple trace), and the other is with it on (green trace). Is the difference in level between the two traces to be expected?

Can you adjust the graphs lower limit to 2Hz.

Looking at the upper limit you'll notice that the rolloff has been increased by about 10db, I'd like to see the lower limits to see if this is the case also down below.

As to whether this is normal, I have found this to be the case(I and others have posted about this). From what Chris has explained this is due to a normalisation process Audyssey performs, after the filters have been set, to achieve similar loudness between Audyssey on and off.

cheers
post #17310 of 72928 Old 08-09-2009, 04:04 AM
tkc

Thanks for the reply!

Here is the readjusted graph. Won't this process affect the overall balance of bass in the output?
LL
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Audyssey , Receivers Amplifiers , Kef Kht1005 2se 5 1 Subwoofer Satellite System With C4 Subwoofer Gloss White , 5 6 7 1 7 2 Or 8 1 8 2 One Or Two Subwoofer Compatible 16 Banana Post 2 Rca Speaker Wall Plate For H
Gear in this thread - Kht1005 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page